AVS Forum banner

18381 - 18400 of 27643 Posts

·
Registered
19,829 Posts
What's to be confused about? You've never heard me arguing for filtered bass or louder bass at the expense of extension. But THIS bass, at THIS moment, in THIS movie was pointless to me. I also stated why I didn't like it--just sine waves connected to no action on the screen. So, no, IMO it's nothing I'd ever demo to someone. I could pull up REW and demo the same thing.

I was joking, not really confused. To me the beginning was showing a sense of weight and doom introducing and end of the world film, just my thoughts as that is what I felt. There are many scenes in the film that have weight without massive bass effects and just feels right. I love this type of bass and when there are big blasts it still delivers. You can easily tell a difference between a bass fest and a low end supported bass fest in my room. I guess I am used to it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was joking, not really confused. To me the beginning was showing a sense of weight and doom introducing and end of the world film, just my thoughts as that is what I felt. There are many scenes in the film that have weight without massive bass effects and just feels right. I love this type of bass and when there are big blasts it still delivers. You can easily tell a difference between a bass fest and a low end supported bass fest in my room. I guess I am used to it.
Ok, I guess my joke meter is on the fritz. :D

I did love the bass in the rest of the movie. I'm curious to see a measurement of the scene where Cruise is underwater near the end. Had a really nice weight to that.

We can agree to disagree on the opening bass--I'm sure we agree on 95% of bass in general.

·
Registered
19,829 Posts
Ok, I guess my joke meter is on the fritz. :D

I did love the bass in the rest of the movie. I'm curious to see a measurement of the scene where Cruise is underwater near the end. Had a really nice weight to that.

We can agree to disagree on the opening bass--I'm sure we agree on 95% of bass in general.

Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.
To me, the differences are two-fold. One the bass in Pulse's Server Room scene was more complex that a sine way. It just had more going on. Secondly, it was definitely tied to what was going on on-screen. As each pulse occurred, there was a visual cue to go with it--the room looked like it was expanding/contracting. Not to mention that there was context to it--there was plenty of bass whenever that "entity" was around, and the same effect was occurring when she first got off the elevator (hope I'm remember that part right), just at a much lower level.

EOT, on the other hand was....opening credits, music, sine wave, sine wave, sine wave, movie begins. It just didn't work for me.

Now that I think about it, at the start of Cloverfield, before anything appears on-screen, you hear the heavy footfalls of the creature. That worked for me. Why? Cuz it was clear what the sound was and it was directly tied to what was coming and what you knew about the film. You know it's about a giant monster and you hear sound that one would hear if the you were on the street with the monster.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
All though I picked up on what we are now calling the sense of doom at the beginning and while a little cool if you get that (assuming intent here) It still sounds to much like a raw sine wave and not necessarily an sound effect. IF I have to hear another movie with a bass sweep, I'm going to pull what little hair out I have left. Its so MWTIF :rolleyes: Time for mixers to get a little more creative or sample a less known bass effect a bit more for 2015 releases ;)

Disclaimer: Please take note the rest of the bass in EoT is pure reference, just tired of sweeps :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
YW! Thanks for the belated congrats on my new sub!!:) I never knew that bass could be this good or I'm sure even better. I'm a little late to the party, but will enjoy until the last beat!

Glad to hear you did not miss much in bass sound while playing the 5.1 vs 7.1 Atmos. Yes I've been waiting for Netflix to get Godzilla and it's set for release the 15th. I hope I get it quick like they did for me with TF4. :D I will be looking out for your thought's on it once you see it. So far your take's on most of the movie's I've seen have been spot on. Keep them coming!! :)
YW,,,,,,
Better late than never as the saying goes !! Yep, bass and subwoofers can become addictive !! (LOL).:) Appears R-Box will release Godzilla on tomorrow 10/14, and I may not get to watch it until the following weekend as we will be out of town this upcoming weekend. I heard the bass was not that good, but I'm still going to give it a spin and crank it.
Same here man, I look forward to your thoughts on movies as well and appreciate you taking time to post.:D

Reactions: discone

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
All though I picked up on what we are now calling the sense of doom at the beginning and while a little cool if you get that (assuming intent here) It still sounds to much like a raw sine wave and not necessarily an sound effect. IF I have to hear another movie with a bass sweep, I'm going to pull what little hair out I have left. Its so MWTIF :rolleyes: Time for mixers to get a little more creative or sample a less known bass effect a bit more for 2015 releases ;)

Disclaimer: Please take note the rest of the bass in EoT is pure reference, just tired of sweeps :)

This^. Lets up the game a bit :cool:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
They were showing the news of battles taking place in EoT in the beginning.
when you saw those news clips did it feel like parts of the top and bottom were missing, almost like it was too tightly framed? Then after that, I noticed lots of the face shots were missing parts of their heads and hair. Was a bit distracting at first and felt like they needed to open up the matte. Maybe its just me though.

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts
Just watched the blu ray of TF4, and was disappointed with the magnet scene as I expected that to be the predominant LFE scene of the whole movie. Don't think it was the sub as there were other scenes which made the sub work harder.

Overall a good loud audio mix.
That magnet scene had my nearfield sub running pretty nice. I thought the effect was cool. Not as cool as MoS earth magnet thing, but still pretty darn cool.

·
Registered
19,829 Posts
I just watched a movie with the kids and MoS copied the whole terraforming device from it, Battle for Terra. It even looked the same LOL! I still liked MoS as a movie though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
A couple of points of note:

A sine wave is a single tone at a specific frequency. The tones in the beginning of EOT are not sine waves, but similar.

A sweep (aka bass drop) varies the frequency from either high to low or low to high (or repetition of one to the other, and so on). Bass sweeps are all over the TF4 mix.

About EOT, I think the rest of the movie's bass is excellent, even if we ignore the first minute with those super loud tones.

wth:

I'd be happy to graph any sequence in the movie if you give me timestamps. I'll post them on the DB forums. :)

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
A couple of points of note:

A sine wave is a single tone at a specific frequency. The tones in the beginning of EOT are not sine waves, but similar.
Judging by the 3hd they're probably heavily clipped sine waves. But I'm sure you know this already =] Seems they overlap as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I liked the first bass scene in EOT. As MK said it gives a kind of fasten your seatbelts here we go action aplenty is about to happen feel. This was in context I felt. Of course this is subjective but gratuitous as it was I liked it. Those first few bass notes, apart from the level, told me I was in for a nice ride and it didn't disappoint!

·
Registered
477 Posts

C'mon Audiofan WWZ grenade scene is one of the best scenes of all time! Oblivion rope break! :D As long as the sweeps aren't repetitive I'm fine with that content anytime.;)

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
That magnet scene had my nearfield sub running pretty nice. I thought the effect was cool. Not as cool as MoS earth magnet thing, but still pretty darn cool.
I just watched a movie with the kids and MoS copied the whole terraforming device from it, Battle for Terra. It even looked the same LOL! I still liked MoS as a movie though.
♦ MoS = Man of Steel?

18381 - 18400 of 27643 Posts