AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Om Aug 18th, estBuy will be selling the new microsoft media center keyboard with built in mouse ANd remote keys. Has ayone seen this thing? Will it work outside of MCE?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the key thing is that it requires the MCE usb receiver. It will not work until the O/S is booted. So will it work outside of MCE? Yes and no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson
... " Compatible with a Media Center PC that runs Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 or later and has a Windows Media Center receiver " ...

·
Registered
288 Posts
If this keyboard was RF I would be getting one. I have a Gyration Ultra on my set up and I need RF because my equipment is off to the side of my couch.

At least the Gyration is the next best thing to having an integrated solution for couch surfing!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlkoho
If this keyboard was RF I would be getting one. I have a Gyration Ultra on my set up and I need RF because my equipment is off to the side of my couch.

At least the Gyration is the next best thing to having an integrated solution for couch surfing!
my belkin media keyboard doesn't work in bios, only in windows. Darn RF keyboards!!!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I have a few questions:

Does this keyboard also work with a non-MC OS, e.g. XP? (as per MS website MC is required, but this does not necessarily mean it does not work with others as well)

Are those special keys freely programmable, e.g. assigning “CTRL U†to the fast forward key?

How is the keyboard connected to the PC? USB, PS/2

(Moved my general question about USB wake-up to a separate thread.)

TIA

______

Axel

·
Registered
288 Posts
I love ergo keyboards I am typing on one right now here @ work. However at home I do not have a natural keyboard because I do not even have a normal desktop computer despite the fact that I have 4 computers.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ah... I too have been looking for a natural, wireless, keyboard....

Why does this not exist, you may ask? Well, it doesn't now, but it will in the future! I was in a CompUsa in Cali when the governor walked in and...

GOV: Wireless laser mouse, microsoft.

GUY: Okay, I think... yep, here's one.

GOV: 800 Megabyte CD-RW's with printable surface in 100 quanity

GUY: Yeah, here's a stack of 'em.

GOV: USB 2.0 A-B Cable, 15 feet

GUY: Wow, you sure do know your hardware...

GOV: Natural wireless keyboard in the 30 ft. range...

GUY: Hey pal, only what you see up here...

So... it's coming! 2025, wasn't it?

Xhonzi

Plasma

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yes it's USB, but just like all USB mice / keyboard, I gotta believe with a later motherboard whose bios supports USB, that the keyboard would be recognized as the bios boots. Keep in mind MCE is "just" an application that runs on a slightly modified XP OS.

I am pretty frustrated with my Gyration combo, so looking forward to a guinei pig here to let us know how the range is in a real world setup.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk

I am pretty frustrated with my Gyration combo, so looking forward to a guinei pig here to let us know how the range is in a real world setup.
I actually just bought a Gyration Go 2.4 Suite to retire my Airboard/Gyration GT combo, but I may still return it. :)

____

Axel

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had a Gyration ultra for a couple of years, and I'm pretty happy with it compared to the alternatives. The air-mouse action takes a while to get used to, and some times (maybe when the PC is really overloaded?) it has a little too much latency. I like it that I can set the mouse down with a mousepad, too.

My kids complain that for video games on the HTPC, there's a little too much latency with the mouse for some games. And the mouse reaction isn't completely smooth trying to control PowerDVD when watching a movie; keyboard commands are more reliable.

My motherboard will do wake-on-mouse for USB mice, but it doesn't work with the Gyration because the USB transmitter/interface is powered by the USB, and power is off when the system is off or in standby. I now just leave the PC on all the time (now that I solved a fan problem).

As far as range, it's ~12 feet from the reciever to where I usually use the mouse. I haven't noticed that any of the problems are correlated to the distance.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel
I have a few questions:

Does this keyboard also work with a non-MC OS, e.g. XP? (as per MS website MC is required, but this does not necessarily mean it does not work with others as well)

Are those special keys freely programmable, e.g. assigning “CTRL U†to the fast forward key?

How is the keyboard connected to the PC? USB, PS/2

(Moved my general question about USB wake-up to a separate thread.)

TIA

______

Axel
The Keyboard requires the MCE Remote IR receiver, and the Microsoft certified drivers (the home made non-MCE drivers won't work, at least not until they're revised).

·
Registered
408 Posts
On many motherboards you need to enable the "legacy USB" option in order to use a usb keyboard outside of the OS, which begs the question, if all you have is a USB keyboard, how do you get into the BIOS in the first place?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito
On many motherboards you need to enable the "legacy USB" option in order to use a usb keyboard outside of the OS, which begs the question, if all you have is a USB keyboard, how do you get into the BIOS in the first place?
Well, most keyboards come with the a USB to PS/2 adapter. I have one from all my keyboards. My RF Keyboard works just fine in the BIOS and it's hooked up USB.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
xhonzi, I think I'm the only one that got the joke. :)

Quote:
My motherboard will do wake-on-mouse for USB mice, but it doesn't work with the Gyration because the USB transmitter/interface is powered by the USB, and power is off when the system is off or in standby. I now just leave the PC on all the time (now that I solved a fan problem).
I recall a thread on the Green Button forums that you need to do some kind of Registry hack to get wake-on-USB device to function properly. I had to use this hack to get my MCE2005 remote to wake up the PC from standby, so maybe this is the same issue?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Whew! I was worried there for a second...

Maybe people got it, they just didn't think it was funny.... Nah!

I actually had to show a guy at work my post since I didn't get any recognition here... sad, right?

Xhonzi

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein
Well, most keyboards come with the a USB to PS/2 adapter. I have one from all my keyboards. ....
This adapter works fine if you do not have a keyboard/mouse combo which is connected to the PC with just a single USB, like my Gyration suite. This only allows you to get the keyboard to work but not the mouse, too.

___

Axel

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Axel,

And when would you need to use the mouse in the BIOS? ;)

I get what you are saying, but the question was getting into the BIOS if the Legacy USB option wasn't checked from the get go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.