AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The New Nintendo 3DS Xl has face tracking and an LCD IPS panel. This means that there is no longer any color or 3D sweet spot. You can relax and move your head normally and still see real 3D and full color. This is a better viewing experience than any tablet or computer monitor. The glasses-free experience and no sweet spot with good color has increased my friends' willingness to view 3D. It is for viewing by one person, but you can just hand the console to the person you want to share with. It is not a substitute for a big-screen 3D HDTV, it is a different experience. But the 3D immersion for one viewer is just as good.

Importantly, the new HTML5 browser allows viewing of streamed Youtube 3D videos in 3D on the device, with again the glassless, no sweet spot experience.

You would think that the relatively low resolution screen would impair the experience, but it does not (I shoot 4K and view 4K on big screens, so I care about resolution). The screen size/resolution combo is just right for an immersive 3D experience.

It is free and easy to convert any sbs 3D video to be carried and viewed in 3D on the console, if you do not want to only view Youtube streaming 3D. And it displays any 3D MPO stills in 3D natively. No more anaglyph, or squinting, or cross-eye, or headaches, or silly-looking glasses.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just to clarify, not all units are built with an IPS panel. Mine has a TN panel. There was quite a bit of discussion about it on NeoGAF when it became known, but there's no way to tell which version is which until you use it. Still, it's a good TN panel, and it looks perfectly fine since you're viewing it from head-on anyway.

Haven't tried any of the YouTube or video stuff, but it works fine on games. The choice of depth layers on Xenoblade 3D makes me tend to leave that one in 2D, though.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
While it is a lot better than the previous models, it still works half the time for me - I still have long periods where it doesn't lock on and looks like a mess.

I have tried it both ways and having the face tracking on makes it way better when it does work than turning it off, but it still fails often enough and turning into a giant mess. It was the reason why it turned it off for a spell - just to see if it was better off since it fails every few minutes.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While it is a lot better than the previous models, it still works half the time for me - I still have long periods where it doesn't lock on and looks like a mess.

I have tried it both ways and having the face tracking on makes it way better when it does work than turning it off, but it still fails often enough and turning into a giant mess. It was the reason why it turned it off for a spell - just to see if it was better off since it fails every few minutes.

I have not had it fail except when I turned my head completely to the side, after which, when I turn back, it locks in instantly. For normal viewing, with head moving naturally, I have never had it fail. And I am talking about viewing 3D movies of over 1.5 hours at a time. I have a friend who has one, and also reports no lock failures, ever.

I do not understand how it could fail if you don't move your head an enormous amount. The locking does not depend on 3D content, only your head. So it does not change unless your head moves. Tried re-calibrating?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Yeah, I tried it all. When it works, it works great, but it loses the lock way too frequently for me. If it turn it off I have to keep my head perfectly still, but when it's on i can move my head around quite a bit. Though like I said it would lose lock suddenly without warning and take a few seconds to relock.

Odd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts