AVS Forum banner

25581 - 25600 of 26470 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I seriously doubt that. It will look amazing for the HDR and WCG, but I'm not sure it will compare with the best PQ reviewed here. It's still a must buy, tho.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Have you seen it yourself? I've seen some pretty reliable sources claim similar statements as our own Djoberg here who claims Top 3 spot for Aquaman.. That is indeed no joke, and highly surprising for me. I've seen three DC Movies on Blu-ray at home, these are:
Batman Vs Superman - Tier 1.75
Wonder Woman - Tier 2
Justice League - Tier 1

My Personal ratings have been generally good, but nothing special. Now compare that to what I've seen from Marvel:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - Tier 0 (top 10 at the time)
Avengers - Tier 0 (top 10 and the time, probably top 20, not seen since 2012, 7 years ago)
Ant-Man - Tier 0(.5)
Avengers Infinity War - Tier 0(.5)
Black Panther - Tier 0(.75)

Those are my top 5, can't remember what I'd rate the others, I think Thor films, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, GOTG are Tier 1-1.5

So I'm more shocked than anyone that a DC film (not made by Nolan and filmed in IMAX 15/70mm) would place anywhere near Tier 0, let alone someone's top 3 :eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
@SnellTHX
Obviously not, otherwise I'd have reviewed it already,

I can't comment on the UHD, so I'll leave those with 4k capability weight on it. Mine is just a guess based on what I saw at theaters. I still expect it to look amazing, especially in 4k. Best of the best? I'll have to see it for myself.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

Just chiming in to give a "slight correction" to Snell's latest post. As you recall, I ended up changing my mind on Aquaman...from the "Top 3 Live Action Movies" to the "Top 5 Live Action Movies." I stand by that statement!

FWIW, I just got off from the Best Buy website where I ordered two more UHD films...2001 Space Odyssey and Bumblebee. They should be here by Friday.

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^^

One more thing. I just read Ralph Potts' review of Bumblebee and he gave it a very high score for both the PQ and AQ. And I thought I should inform Snell that it sounds like the whole movie is in the 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio, so our WHOLE SCREEN will be filled with HD (or UHD if you have a 4K display) in all its glory!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°^°^°^°^
It just pains me so much that I didn't like Bumblebee as I expected, and *gasp* I don't think I'll be buying it...unless I get a very, very good deal on it, and just for the A/V candy...and even then, maybe I won't, lol. Kinda hard to believe, as you know how much I love Transformers.

It's not at bad movie, I must say, just not the kind of stuff I'll rewatch over and over. Unlike Transformers, however, this one you can watch with the family, so it can be a plus to some.

On an unrelated note, I went to the store today with the firm intention of buying the new Spider-Man and Overlord, and ended up buying some steels on sale, so no Spidey and war zombies for this month, at least. It didn't help that while I enjoyed both of those, I wasn't particularly crazy about them, aside for experiencing the reference audio.

This year I've managed to slow down considerably my BD spending quota, but it's extremely hard with so much good stuff coming out lately. :/

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hear you, especially when you say, "This year I've managed to slow down considerably my BD spending quota, but it's extremely hard with so much good stuff coming out lately." Last year I bought very few discs but this year has been crazy! In fairness, with some of those I've been using Best Buy certificates that I've received for buying "other stuff" (like an expensive LG OLED)! ;)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Suicide Squad [Extended Cut] (2016 - Warner)

Tier Recommendation: 2.0

Phantom (1.5): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50813545

I know this movie was generally panned, but I was surprised to find only one rating for this movie, and from Phantom, none the less.

Personally, I was hugely disappointed by the PQ of this BD. I watched it on theaters, but my memory is fuzzy on how it looked, but the contrast between the colorful movie posters and, especially, the disc menu with the actual content is quite sad. The films a drab color timing, and scenes that should explode with colors and contrast, well, they don't. But then again, this is a David Ayer film, so maybe I expected too much.

I liked very little about the video presentation, but generally speaking, it's a fine looking disc, but I wouldn't use to demo anything.

Now, my shiny steel book only came with the Extended Cut, despite the sticker on the back listing both cuts running times... but of course, I just noticed the Theatrical Cut IS on the included DVD...so I may have a reason to pop in a DVD after all. It's been years since I watched one.

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
As for the movie itself, I mostly liked Suicide Squad. As I mentioned in my review, the visuals are darker in tone than Marvel fare. I got the feeling the director wanted Suicide Squad's aesthetic looking like something from the Purge franchise. I remember there's a large amount of CGI and greenscreen FX, which usually necessitates a muted palette and heavier black levels.

I can't really argue with your score. I'd probably give Suicide Squad a lower score myself if I were reviewing it today.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°^°^°^
Yeah, I liked SS very much as well. You can tell the direction Ayer wanted to take with the film, but Warner's interference is well documented. Despite the mess SS is in many ways, I still find it a very addictive movie, with many strong points, and a high replay value. SS is clearly the outlier in the current DCEU, and I appreciate it for that.

Warner did the right thing hiring directors with a strong distinct style, and with a unique vision they could bring to the movies. But you can't hire this type of directors and then want to "control" them to produce formulaic films. Apparently, they've learn their lesson, and they're allowing the current directors more artistic freedom, even when the Marvel "touch" is becoming more apparent.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll sorely miss Snyder.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
2001: A Space Odyssey (UHD)

It has been decades since I've seen this Stanley Kubrick CLASSIC and I was even more in AWE of this mind-bending film watching it tonight. The eerie SILENCE....the amazing ORCHESTRA MUSIC....the stunning VISUALS....and last, but not least....the STORY itself....had me glued to my chair and my eyes riveted to the screen. Many (who are accustomed to non-stop action and mindless drivel) will be tempted to "pull the plug" long before the "Intermission" appears on the screen, but to those who admire true film-making at its best, this is a 4K marvel that deserves 2+ hours of your life (which in turn will turn into repeated viewings in the future).

I will say from the outset of my PQ analysis, this will NOT rise to the Top of Tier 0, but it will surely find its way somewhere in the middle or bottom third. I will start with the "negatives" that must be penalized. There is some "inherent softness" though great pains were obviously taken in transferring the restored 70mm film into the 4K Blu-ray. Shots of softness are seen in the opening scene (The Dawn of Man), especially in mid to long range shots. There were some fleeting "out of focus" shots and a bit of aliasing in those same scenes. But in fairness there was appreciable clarity too, with finely-rendered details in apes and craggy rocks.

From there we jump to SPACE where we are treated to brilliant CONTRAST throughout the rest of the movie...with the dazzling WHITE SPACESHIPS next to the BLACKNESS OF SPACE (though I must bring out that there is a fair amount of "dark grays" that make up space...this was easily detected in comparing it with my letter-boxed bars which had PERFECT BLACKS). In the spaceship the contrast is even stronger, with WHITE SPACE SUITS against BLACK and COLORFUL control panels and walls. Speaking of COLORS, the palette is limited but the primaries that were on display were as rich and vibrant as can be. The first instance of this is in a lounge with BRIGHT RED CHAIRS that were absolutely gorgeous. Then you had the red and yellow space suits worn outside the spaceship that really jumped out at you against the darkness of space and the twinkling of stars. And last, but not least, you had a colorful light show at the end that was mesmerizing! This is where DOLBY VISION shines the most!!

One more thing. The razor-sharp clarity inside the spaceship cabin (and other interior scenes) was to-die-for. This clarity carried with it intricate details in clothing and especially in facial texture. Pure EYE CANDY!!

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.66)

PS I could see some going higher than this, but I'm going to be conservative considering the negatives listed above.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Two

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Excellent animation but sometimes lacks texture, sometimes the surfaces fall flat.

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
485 Posts
Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse (UHD)

We have, BY FAR (and I mean, BY FAR), the new "King of Animated Movies!"

I thought I had seen the newest and most colorful CGI last night when viewing Aquaman, but it some ways it doesn't compare to what I just saw. The COLORS in this amazing, innovative animated marvel are....well, I don't have words to tell you what they are. I'll only say I saw colors I've literally never seen before and they were exploding so fast and so often in some scenes that your eyes simply can't process them.

Along with the spell-binding colors, you have the most DEEP & INKY BLACKS ever seen in an animated film. WOW is all I can say. And then you add BRILLIANT WHITES to the mix (right next to the INFINITELY DEEP BLACKS) and you have the strongest CONTRAST your eyes have ever seen. Like I said last night in my Aquaman review, you have to "see it to believe it."

I would be remiss if I didn't mention DETAILS & TEXTURE. They may not be what you would normally see in a Pixar release...with photo-realistic images of real humans, landscapes, buildings, etc., but they are there none-the-less to give your eyes the rush they crave!

It's time to place this...oh, wait a minute...I already did in my opening statement! But I'll make it official now...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (#2)

PS I almost forgot the other half of this REFERENCE disc...the Dolby Atmos audio mix! Let me just say this; it was just as good as last night's AURAL NIRVANA experience!!

Saw this on Blu at a friend's house so can't give it a rating but I thought it looked excellent. Might have to put this on my Black Friday list.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Bumblebee (UHD)

This will never compete with Transformers: The Last Knight for #1 , nor will it be placed anywhere near the top of Tier 0, but I have no doubt it will still land somewhere in the middle. The COLORS were excellent thanks to Dolby Vision! These especially POP in every scene that took place at the amusement park where Charlie works...my jaw was on the floor!! BLACK LEVELS and SHADOW DETAILS were also very good, though in fairness some of the heavy CGI scenes softened a bit and became somewhat murky.

DETAILS were exemplary....FLESH TONES were spot-on....CONTRAST was ideal....DEPTH was appreciable....and CLARITY was superb (in every daytime, outdoor scene). The cinematography around San Francisco served up all these virtues and I was really blessed by the aerial shots. This one also had a more "filmic-look" and was definitely more "natural-looking" without the hyped-up contrast.

Before I place it, I have to give a shout out for the topnotch Dolby Atmos mix. Though the action was mild in comparison to the rest of the Transformers Franchise, when there was action (explosions, gunfire, car chases, etc.) the precision in every channel was perfect, including crystal-clear dialogue in the center channel and room-shaking LFE/bass in the subs.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.66)

PS I appreciated the fact that there was some "character development" in this. There is a lot to be said for a "slower pace"; all the former Transformer films gave me a headache by the end with their nonstop action.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once again, after "sleeping on it," I have a slight "change of mind" regarding my placement of Bumblebee. I now would opt for .66 instead of .5 due to the "soft shots" and lack of clarity in some of the CGI scenes. When you compare this with Transformers: The Last Knight you realize how drastically the style has been changed. In some ways I like the change (more "natural-looking" for one thing), but it surely lacks the razor-sharp clarity that dominated T:TLK from beginning to end.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Bumblebee (UHD)

PS I appreciated the fact that there was some "character development" in this. There is a lot to be said for a "slower pace"; all the former Transformer films gave me a headache by the end with their nonstop action.

I really appreciated that this movie felt like a much better Transformers movie than the recent releases (I made it through The Last Knight only by sheer force of will). There was a story here, and acting to support it. I can only hope they give more credence to telling good stories over mindless bombastic action. I mean, as much as you can in a series based off of toys from the 80s.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
The Vault

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

The so-so bank heist thriller starring James Franco was recently reissued by FilmRise. The 2017 production resembles many other recent indie films. The 1080P video has a steady contrast and reasonably crisp definition, taken from a clean digital intermediate.

There's nothing really extraordinary going in the visuals. At the same time, outside of a few small banding issues this is a fine HD presentation.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Oblivion (UHD)

I just watched the UHD version last night for the first time and I agree 100% with Darth's review below. I will just add that the "first half" of the film was definitely "darker" and didn't have the POP that the "second half" did. And I also have to add, "I am SO HAPPY to finally have an OLED so I could truly appreciate the BLACK LEVELS in this movie with PITCH BLACK letter-boxed bars and ZERO blooming/light bleed. The fact is, I'm so blown away by the CONTRAST and COLORS of an OLED that I may just save myself some money in the foreseeable future and watch all of my UHD Blu-ray library again (I have nearly 80 titles).

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)

PS I also LOVED the Dolby Atmos mix!!

Oblivion (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

Nice presentation with lots of detail and strong contrast, only a few instances of elevated blacks. The black levels and contrast on the Scavs' suits is eye popping, some of the best I've seen on UHD.

As for the debate about the differences on the overall look of the BD (more harsh LED light look) vs. the UHD (warmer incandescent look), I think it's moot. I compared scenes on both discs and couldn't really see a huge difference and nothing to get worked up about.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry if I missed this being posted somewhere. Are the actual PQ and AQ tier rating threads no longer being updated? Looks like they haven't been updated since 2017, and I don't see any notes about it.

25581 - 25600 of 26470 Posts