AVS Forum banner

25961 - 25980 of 26480 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
70mm movie projections are so rare or distant in the past, that I have the impression some people are "romantizing" the format as something incredible that can't be replicated, kinda like some think of vinyl recordings. I doubt people saw Lawrence of Arabia at theaters at thought "omg! There's so much detail, clarity and textures, this is so razor sharp" like we refer to movies these days. I believe it can look today much better than it looked in previous home versions, and probably better than at theaters, but I believe 1080p BD and UHD with HDR capability can come close enough to such quality, at least to the point of saying "OK, this looks, really, really good ".

Or...maybe I'm completely wrong. But that's kinda the point. How many people are in position to really assess the quality of 70mm projections? Very few. So at this point is basically a stuff of legend.
My thoughts exactly. I just have to laugh when anyone talks about a theater experience from 50 years ago (typically its LOA or 2001). Even if the person remembered correctly...was the film projected under ideal conditions? Was it a new screen or did it have a layer cigarette smoke and thus not reflecting the picture correctly? Was the projection bulb new or on it's last few hours? Was the projection glass in the both clean or again covered in cigarette smoke from the chain smoking projectionist? There are just too many variables to say any projected movie is the reference to which a home release is judged.

Reactions: Panson and AmerCa

·
Registered
485 Posts
In the Heat of the Night (Criterion)

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Good looking film. Colors are vibrant in all the store signs, red tractors, and other vehicles. Black levels and shadow details are good in the night scenes. Details are nice for the most part except for two very short shots in the middle of the film when Tibbs goes to the hotel to talk to the widow. It's just a nice all around presentation.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I just have to laugh when anyone talks about a theater experience from 50 years ago (typically its LOA or 2001). Even if the person remembered correctly...was the film projected under ideal conditions? Was it a new screen or did it have a layer cigarette smoke and thus not reflecting the picture correctly? Was the projection bulb new or on it's last few hours? Was the projection glass in the both clean or again covered in cigarette smoke from the chain smoking projectionist? There are just too many variables to say any projected movie is the reference to which a home release is judged.
Depending on your local Bijou, going to the movies can be underwhelming these days with dim projecting. The thing I do remember from "back in the day" is how bright and vibrant screens looked, regardless of screen or theater size.

Putting it best for first-run theater vs HT experiences, I saw Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) on a new dim screen, and Lawrence of Arabia (1962) on an old bright screen, and prefer by far my home-spun presentations with the following. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Towering Inferno

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Not bad, but not great. Details are good for the most part in the non-special effects shots. The middle of the image is in focus, but fuzzy around all the edges in many shots. Colors are nice and flesh tones look natural. The effects shots are where the image falters with lots of matt shots and green screen. The print itself is nice, absent of scratches and other blemishes and free of any glaring processing or compression problems.

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
X-Men: Dark Phoenix (1080p)

This was a "decent rental" but I'm glad I didn't order it (the movie was just "okay"). Having said that, the PQ/AQ was Reference Quality in nearly every scene! Here is a link to my impressions on Ralph's site. Excuse my "laziness" but I'm really tired and we're leaving, once again, on a short trip early in the morning.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/3091152-x-men-dark-phoenix-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.html#post58578142

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.66)

PS The AQ would be a "Top Tier 0" (in the Top 10-20) if this was an Audio Thread!

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

These superhero programs from Warner which originally air on the CW look better with each passing year. That trend is especially noticeable on this fourth season set of Supergirl, which receives an appreciable bump in video quality from preceding sets.

Some softer CGI moments and occasionally suspect compositing issues for those FX, but overall a Hi-Def presentation with impressive clarity and texture for network television.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The LEGO Batman Movie (2017 - Warner)

Tier Recommendation: 1.0

Phantom: 1.0 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54418081

Djoberg: 0.66 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55213132

Don't be fooled by the "low" rating I'm giving it. I'm completely stunned by this animated film. Then use of colors, the level of detail and textures of the Lego world are F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. I actually wanted to watch this movie twice before giving it a final assessment, because the first time I watched it with subtitles, and I couldn't appreciate properly everything that's on screen, which is A LOT. I'm not well versed in animated films, but I feel this one is very close to a masterpiece. I can watch it three more times and pick up something I missed out the first time. This movie demands your full attention, blink and you'll miss something.

The only *BUT " I have with it, is that colors doesn't "pop" as expected, giving the amazing color gamut that's present, and that the image is often kinda soft, or at least that the impression it gives. It's simply not as colorful or sharp enough to be a tier zero contender, and I've seen a handful of animated films that are better in that respect. That's probably a conscious stylistic choice by the director, and I'm down with it. That said, I've read some comments that the UHD version is leaps and bounds superior to the BD, so that should be interesting.

I consider this little movie to be the The Dark Knight of animation. The opening scene is completely influenced by Nolan, and I see the influence all the way through, including some parts of the score. The LEGO Batman Movie is very ambitious, and at the same time it's extremely entertaining. I not only had fun with it, but I was also thrilled by the onscreen events. The action parts were truly exciting and well done, and it even had some twists and turns that I didn't see coming. The movie is a blast from beginning to end, and it's full of heart. I could say many more things about it, but I should stop here.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°°°°°°^
Lower than 1.0? Come on, man. It's not like this movie is ten years old. I agree, it's not the sharpest or most color-popping, but it's still quite impressive. But...yeah, in five years will be saying it's a tier 1.75 disc. Especially because it's the BD we're taking about. Still, I'm quite surprised you weren't very impressed visually with this movie.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
^°°°°°°^
Lower than 1.0? Come on, man. It's not like this movie is ten years old. I agree, it's not the sharpest or most color-popping, but it's still quite impressive. But...yeah, in five years will be saying it's a tier 1.75 disc. Especially because it's the BD we're taking about. Still, I'm quite surprised you weren't very impressed visually with this movie.

I was thinking more along the lines of 1.25, but I haven't watched the disc since my recommendation over two years ago. It's a nice-looking disc but I hold CGI movies to very high standards - what may look impressive today may not look so hot in a few short years. Aesthetic choices dictate so much of how animation turns out.

I remember first watching Toy Story. People were dazzled by its animation back in the day. Now it's not so hot upon close inspection.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Friday the 13th (1980)

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Primary colors are vibrant in the daytime scenes, lots of green foliage and two red vehicles look excellent. Details are serviceable, nothing too distracting. Night scenes are a mixed bag with poor contrast, heavy grain, and a poor scan with light bleed along the left side of the frame for much of the run-time.

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Brightburn 4K

Certainly not the best looking looking 4K/HDR movie, it was just 'decent'. Some decent HDR highlights and certain colours did pop (like the orange jacket of the father of protagonist's jacket). It was sharp, but not razor sharp. Clearly a 2K DI, probably not much (if any) boost from the 1080p blu-ray

Decent amount of details, but not a plethora of them. Could have been placed a lot higher 6-7 years ago but the in the 4K/HDR days I think standard's have increased.

Tier recommendation: 1.75

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
^^^ it's worth mentioning Brightburn had one of the BEST soundtracks I've heard in a long time! In fact it's probably the best audio quality since Shazam, which I also thought had slightly disappointing PQ but absolutely reference AQ.

It seems when PQ isn't on point they always make up with overcompensating with phenomenal sound.

The whooshes of the sueprhero flying or the rumbling bass / LFE track was quite the experience

·
Registered
485 Posts
Alien (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Excellent overall, but it falters a bit in clarity. Some shots are just a hair out of sharp focus, just enough to be distracting like shots of Ripley during a conversation with Dallas: he's in focus but her side of the conversation isn't. Black levels and shadow detail are good for the most part, but being a mostly dark movie I think shadow detail could have been stronger. The black bars didn't completely disappear during the space shots so blacks were already raised to a point. HDR was well done with lights on the Nostromo and flashlights showing up nice and bright without being blown out.

Reactions: SteveC356

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Fair points, Djoberg. I remember placing it in Tier One mostly over the lackluster animation itself, which I thought was disappointing for a major Hollywood production done in CGI. I vacillated over placing it in Tier One or the bottom of Tier Zero.

It probably deserves Tier 0 but I have gotten stricter with animated discs. So many animated movies now come out on a regular basis, some studios are clearly starting to cut corners with the animation. Even Pixar isn't putting the same amount of care into their movies as they did a decade ago.
And I agree with you Phantom, for "some studios are clearly starting to cut corners with animation," including Pixar. I could hardly believe I just nominated Cars 3 for .33 instead of a place in the Top Ten...or at the least in the Top Twenty. This illustrates your point and I penalized it because it deserved it. But when it comes to The LEGO Batman Movie I feel it's still worthy of a place in Tier 0 and yet a .66 placement for a new animated release reflects the fact that animated movies aren't automatically put near the top.
^°°°°°°^

I thought some (especially AmerCa) would be interested in seeing the exchange between me and Phantom after we reviewed this title two years ago. Even though I gave it a .66 I would probably be going down to the very bottom of Tier 0 or even a 1.0 if I were to view it today. As others have noted, the standards are very high today and some animated titles "ain't what they used to be" (due to the lowering of standards by animated studios who are "cutting corners").

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Kubo And The Two Strings (2016 - Universal) [REVISITED]

Tier Recommendation: 1.0

Original review: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=56491502

Not much to add. I revisited this movie, and it's like I saw it with a different light. Still not tier zero for me, but this one deserves at lest tier 1.0. Details and textures are fantastic, but lack of "color-popping" and some softness still hold back this BD, but this one looks gorgeous.

My initial viewings were back when I didn't have a sub (ah, those times), and now I could appreciate much better the sound of this movie. Great sound design and use of bass when required.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

Whoa! I was curious as to where I placed this title and was surprised (after reading your review) to see that I gave it a rather high Tier 0 recommendation. Of course, that was back in February of 2017 so it's a given that I would rate it lower (perhaps significantly lower) if I were to view it today. But there would be, I assume, a difference in our ranking. This may be due to my fascination with "Stop Motion" animation. Here's my review:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/858316-new-pq-tier-thread-blu-ray-discussion-788.html#post50495681

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
485 Posts
Friday the 13th Part 2

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Like the first installment in the series, weak black levels suffer in the night scenes and again a poor scan with light bleed along the left side of the frame for much of the run-time.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Darth,

What do you mean by "light bleed along the side of the frame?" I used to speak of light bleeding into my black bars when I owned my Sony 940D LCD/LED, but I have never experienced any light bleed with my OLED. In fact, I was under the impression that one can never experience light bleed with an OLED because it is a self-emissive display and the black bars will always remain black since the pixels are turned off and light is unable to spill over into them. So, again I ask, "What do you mean by light bleed since you too have an OLED?"

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

Whoa! I was curious as to where I placed this title and was surprised (after reading your review) to see that I gave it a rather high Tier 0 recommendation. Of course, that was back in February of 2017 so it's a given that I would rate it lower (perhaps significantly lower) if I were to view it today. But there would be, I assume, a difference in our ranking. This may be due to my fascination with "Stop Motion" animation. Here's my review:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/858316-new-pq-tier-thread-blu-ray-discussion-788.html#post50495681
It's one of the few BR animes I owned. Got to see this again this week with my 4k Panny 820 player. Blacks were amazing with my old JVC, but I'm sure the new faux-k would even be more dramatic with the added lumens.

25961 - 25980 of 26480 Posts