AVS Forum banner

25981 - 26000 of 26463 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Stephen King's It (1990)

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Very stable image throughout it's run-time and has a nice film look for a television presentation (it was shot on 35mm).

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
485 Posts
Overlord (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

The film takes place over the course of one night and the black levels and shadow detail are excellent. Being a war movie, the color palette leans towards the drab side, but there are enough vibrant punches of color to keep things interesting. Details are sharp throughout in clothing and environmental textures. HDR is also applied extremely well with both bright highlights and the well delineated and nuanced colors.

The horror premise of the film might not be for everyone, but an excellent looking WWII film.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Dracula (1931)

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

The image brightness fluctuates at times, so much so that it appears a fade cut is about to happen and then the image brightens up as the scene continues. Black levels are OK for the most part, but weak in areas of the film. Details are also uneven ranging from very good to weak.

Dracula's Daughter (1936)

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

The second in the Universal Dracula canon, this fares much better in it's presentation. The image is stable throughout it's run-time and is a pleasing watch. Black levels deep and rich, no blown out or fluctuating blacks here. Details are nice and steady, excellent film for it's age.

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Spider-Man: Far From Home (1080p)

I had heard from many sources that the UHD release had a less-than-stellar Dolby Atmos track but that the DTS-HD Master Audio mix on the regular Blu-ray was VERY GOOD, so I rented that from Redbox today. I just gave my impressions on it on Ralph's site so I'm going to save some time and give you the link to that.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/3093152-spider-man-far-home-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review-2.html#post58636970

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.33)

PS The movie was quite "juvenile" but there was some good humor. I may just buy this since the PQ/AQ were topnotch. I had forgot to mention that the CGI was really, really good in most scenes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Son of Dracula (1943)

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

On par with Dracula's Daughter for PQ with stable clarity and black levels.

·
Registered
485 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Darth,

What do you mean by "light bleed along the side of the frame?" I used to speak of light bleeding into my black bars when I owned my Sony 940D LCD/LED, but I have never experienced any light bleed with my OLED. In fact, I was under the impression that one can never experience light bleed with an OLED because it is a self-emissive display and the black bars will always remain black since the pixels are turned off and light is unable to spill over into them. So, again I ask, "What do you mean by light bleed since you too have an OLED?"

It has nothing to do with the display technology, but the digital file of the film itself.

Maybe I'm not using the correct term, but when the original film elements were run through the scanner for conversion to a digital file there was light leaks around the frame of the machine causing a washed out look along certain edges. It looks like the LCD/LED edge-lit light bleed you described, but it's something baked into the digital file of the film caused by a poor scan. You never see it on modern shot-on-digital films, only older movies that needed their 35/65/70mm film elements scanned in a film to digital process (and only on a poorly done scan).

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Darth!

Good to know it isn't the OLED display. At first I thought you may have been referring to a "scanning problem" where the picture may not fill the whole screen along an edge of the display due to a problem with the "Aspect Ratio." I actually had this problem while watching some material on NBC but I was able to fix it by turning on "Just Scan" under the "Aspect Ratio" setting. It was very distracting for the whole left side of my display had a very thin ray of light along the edge. Of course, I should say that the IDEAL is to leave that setting off and to just set it to "16 x 9" for all source material. I will, when I remember to, turn off "Just Scan" for watching all other broadcasts.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season

recommendation: Tier 0* (upper third)

Television productions, even those made for premium channels, usually don't match the picture quality of the very best multi-million dollar theatrical features. Which makes sense given their longer running times and many episodes, television shows often take production shortcuts.

However, DC Universe's Doom Patrol stands out from the pack, filmed on the new large-format ARRI ALEXA LF camera. This is a state-of-the-art camera that records native 4.5K resolution, and borrowing from ARRI's own ad copy, produces "ARRI's best overall image quality." That is a heady statement, considering many of our Tier 0 discs have been filmed with older ARRI cameras. I think ARRI may not be over hyping the ALEXA LF after seeing its results.

Doom Patrol has meticulously crafted cinematography that takes full advantage of the new camera. The 1080P presentation has beautifully refined color grading, enhanced by superb black levels. The inviting contrast and top-notch clarity result from a purely natural tonal range across the color spectrum.

The one issue is moderate posterization in the AVC encode - Warner applies their standard lower-than-needed bitrates for television content. Which results in a few scenes with the issue. I might have pushed Doom Patrol higher in the Tiers if not for this small problem.

https://www.arri.com/en/camera-systems/cameras/alexa-lf

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season

recommendation: Tier 0* (upper third)

Television productions, even those made for premium channels, usually don't match the picture quality of the very best multi-million dollar theatrical features. Which makes sense given their longer running times and many episodes, television shows often take production shortcuts.

However, DC Universe's Doom Patrol stands out from the pack, filmed on the new large-format ARRI ALEXA LF camera. This is a state-of-the-art camera that records native 4.5K resolution, and borrowing from ARRI's own ad copy, produces "ARRI's best overall image quality." That is a heady statement, considering many of our Tier 0 discs have been filmed with older ARRI cameras. I think ARRI may not be over hyping the ALEXA LF after seeing its results.

Doom Patrol has meticulously crafted cinematography that takes full advantage of the new camera. The 1080P presentation has beautifully refined color grading, enhanced by superb black levels. The inviting contrast and top-notch clarity result from a purely natural tonal range across the color spectrum.

The one issue is moderate posterization in the AVC encode - Warner applies their standard lower-than-needed bitrates for television content. Which results in a few scenes with the issue. I might have pushed Doom Patrol higher in the Tiers if not for this small problem.

https://www.arri.com/en/camera-systems/cameras/alexa-lf
Is the Alexa LF their flagship? I know resolution certainly isn't everything, but they do have the Arri IMAX collaboration camera which is 6.5K. It's the one they used to film e.g. Avengers IW/Endgame.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
John Wick 3 - Parabellum (4K)

Follows its prequels with very similar picture quality. Stylistic colour palette choices are present (lots of teal). Very sharp image quality despite the 'only' 3.2K Arri camera used and 2K DI present. I believe John Wick 1 & 2 were filmed in 2.8K. There's a great amount of detail and the blacks & shadow detail look phenomenal.

Tier recommendation: 0.75

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Is the Alexa LF their flagship? I know resolution certainly isn't everything, but they do have the Arri IMAX collaboration camera which is 6.5K. It's the one they used to film e.g. Avengers IW/Endgame.
I believe that ARRI IMAX camera is actually slighter older tech despite the more-impressive sounding resolution, having been around a few years. Infinity War was the first film to use it as the primary camera for the whole feature.

The LF supposedly has more refined camera optics and newly available lenses. Of course, there is an 8K RED camera from their rival.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
I just picked up the UHD release of Toy Story 4. It is receiving rave reviews with some saying it is the best animation they've ever seen. We'll see about that! I do believe it will trump the first three movies.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just picked up the UHD release of Toy Story 4. It is receiving rave reviews with some saying it is the best animation they've ever seen. We'll see about that! I do believe it will trump the first three movies.
Pixar has never really let us down with the Toy Story movies. I'm fairly sure the UHD will land in our top five.

I watched it the other day and it is definitely top 5 material. Textures were phenomenal. Black levels perfect. I even heard they finished it with a 4K DI, which might be one of the first all animated features to do so (if you know of others, I'd love to hear).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I watched it the other day and it is definitely top 5 material.
Tier Recommendation: 0* (top five)

Official recommendation?

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tier Recommendation: 0* (top five)

Official recommendation?

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Yes. It's been a couple of days since I watched it though, so I couldn't quite elaborate at length. Looked great on my calibrated screen. Sounded pretty good too.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Toy Story 4 (UHD)

Pixar has outdone themselves!!!:cool:

Where do I start? Oh, at the BEGINNING of course!;) The first scene pictures a thunderstorm at night and the BLACKS are fantastic; the DEPTH is amazing; and the PHOTO-REALISM is mesmerizing!! The next scene is a daylight scene and the COLORS really popped; they were gorgeous with a vibrant sheen on some of the toys. The DEPTH is incredible, better than anything I've seen in the Toy Story Franchise and perhaps any animated movie. I mentioned the "photo-realism" and I'm here to say this virtue was featured in MANY scenes...and the LIGHTING helped to make this look so natural and real. It made me think of other animated marvels with excellent photo-realism...like Wall-E and The Good Dinosaur. TEXTURES were also an added benefit that clearly trumped the first three installments...this was manifested in clothes, hair and faces (in humans), foliage, city streets, etc., etc. CLARITY was razor-sharp all the way through (though there were a host of dark scenes where it appeared a wee bit soft on rare occasions). Let me sum this up by saying THIS IS A SIGHT TO BEHOLD!!

The only downside, and this is typical for Disney, was a very disappointing Dolby Atmos mix. I had to turn this up to near reference and I still heard very little action in my dual subs. But this IS a PQ Thread so I'm rating this solely on its PQ virtues. I'm happy to say it's as good as or better than any animated title I've seen...including Secret Life of Pets, Coco and Moana. It's definitely worthy of....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (Top 5...I'd put it at #3 right after Transformers: The Last Knight and Planet Earth 2)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Shining, The (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Really nice looking catalogue release on UHD, similar to Apocalypse Now. Details are nice and sharp, textures and clothing are excellent. Some of the facial close-ups are outstanding, lots of facial pores blemishes. Colors are rich and lush with primary colors really standing out and Danny's tennis ball is now yellow vice pink on the previous release. No issues with black levels and shadow details and the application of HDR is nicely done.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Finally a 4K/HDR release derived from a 4K DI with 4K CGI!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Pan's Labyrinth

I actually never watched this movie, so this 4K presentation is a first for me. The colour palette is quite muted, but there's lots of detail every shot, particularly the outdoor forrest shots, both daytime and nighttime. Its presented in 1.85:1, but gets let down by some elevated blacks.

I think its current placement is pretty much spot-on

Tier recommendation: 1.5

25981 - 26000 of 26463 Posts