AVS Forum banner

26301 - 26320 of 26530 Posts

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
1917 (UHD)

I found the PQ to be almost identical to that of Dunkirk, so much so that I am going to give it the same placement and I'll also post my "revisited review" where I mention the identical key virtues and the main drawbacks. In short, the CLARITY, DETAILS and DEPTH of this release are outstanding. BLACK LEVELS were very good, but not excellent, IMHO. There were a few SOFT FOCUS SHOTS that affected details and depth, but thankfully they were quite brief.

Like Dunkirk, it has a VERY DRAB COLOR PALETTE. Did that hinder details or depth? No! Did it rob me of any "PQ Eye Candy?" I'll answer that by saying, "When you view it on its own the answer is no. But when you compare it with titles like Gemini Man or Transformers: The Last Knight or even Planet Earth 2, the muted colors definitely deprive you of gorgeous colors and thus Eye Candy."

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/858316-new-pq-tier-thread-blu-ray-discussion-834.html#post56515020

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.5)

PS The AQ was "pleasing to the ears" in spite of a very subdued low end in the vast majority of scenes. Dialogue was intelligible (except for some strong British accents which always give me trouble) and in action scenes all 9 channels came to life with precision that put you right in the middle of the action.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

The more I compare 1917 with Dunkirk the more I am convinced they are nearly identical in terms of PQ, though I will say that the cinematography in Dunkirk was much better. I know 1917 was praised at the Oscars and in most "professional reviews" for this but I can't see it. Most of the country-side was actually quite bland compared to the ocean and beach views (with spectacular cliffs) in Dunkirk.

Both movies were very unique, to say the least. I think I enjoyed the filming technique of 1917 the best with its long, continuous shot and its close-ups depicting "trench warfare." But then I really enjoyed the scores of "aerial shots" in Dunkirk and the fantastic "dog fights" which literally put you in the cockpit. Both films featured heavy British accents which were hard to understand at times...in fact, quite a few times!

One more observation. I was surprised by the limited facial close-ups 1917. Don't get me wrong, there were some but not to be compared to the many close-ups in Dunkirk.

Do I think these two films are up there with the likes of Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down? No, for they lack the action scenes and the stellar cast. But they are in a niche all of their own, which gives us a compelling story which is accompanied with amazing musical scores.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Both movies were very unique, to say the least. I think I enjoyed the filming technique of 1917 the best with its long, continuous shot and its close-ups depicting "trench warfare." But then I really enjoyed the scores of "aerial shots" in Dunkirk and the fantastic "dog fights" which literally put you in the cockpit. Both films featured heavy British accents which were hard to understand at times...in fact, quite a few times!
Hehe. Hopefully subtitles helped? :) As with all accents, it's just exposure you need to get used to it then you should be fine. I find some American accents impenetrable too of course! But then if you add in regional dialects, you can be screwed even if you heard the words clearly, because you don't understand them ;)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
1917 (UHD)

I found the PQ to be almost identical to that of Dunkirk, so much so that I am going to give it the same placement and I'll also post my "revisited review" where I mention the identical key virtues and the main drawbacks. In short, the CLARITY, DETAILS and DEPTH of this release are outstanding. BLACK LEVELS were very good, but not excellent, IMHO. There were a few SOFT FOCUS SHOTS that affected details and depth, but thankfully they were quite brief.

Like Dunkirk, it has a VERY DRAB COLOR PALETTE. Did that hinder details or depth? No! Did it rob me of any "PQ Eye Candy?" I'll answer that by saying, "When you view it on its own the answer is no. But when you compare it with titles like Gemini Man or Transformers: The Last Knight or even Planet Earth 2, the muted colors definitely deprive you of gorgeous colors and thus Eye Candy."

I kneeeeeew you would comment the drab colours :cool:

I too compared it to Dunkirk, and I think the depth, clarity, sharpness, details, etc are all very, very nearly on par with Dunkirk, which is ultimately my #1 reference, at its best.

I don't think colour palettes affect PQ in any way. Grain on the other hand completely DESTROYS an image for me.

Just like many for some reason don't mind film grain in your movies. ;)

But to me 1917 is probably top 20 somewhere :)

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay, I'll say this ONE MORE TIME!;)

I said in my review above that the muted color palette did NOT hinder details or clarity, so it obviously didn't affect the PQ "in that way." But then I added that if you compare it to titles with gorgeous colors you realize that you are being DEPRIVED OF EYE CANDY! You may be thinking, "So what?" My response to that would be, "When we make a placement recommendation WE ARE COMPARING IT TO OTHER TITLES!!" That is what we do! So, if we are comparing 1917 with other titles with amazing clarity, details, and depth, but they also have amazing colors, you are, of necessity, going to penalize 1917 with a lower placement.

Enough said!:cool:

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Hello, folks. Thought I'd swing by for a couple of quick reviews. Hope everyone is doing well in these strange times. It's as good a time as any to catch up on your BD and UHD viewing at home.

Superman: Red Son UHD

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

This may be too harsh of a score for a brand-new, DTV movie from WB Animation, but I wasn't overly impressed by Red Son's aesthetic. For those unaware, Superman: Red Son is an alternate history that depicts Superman being raised as a Communist in Soviet Russia under Stalin. The animators go with less saturated colors and slighted muted primary colors for the retro period setting.

The superior HEVC encode completely eliminates banding from the clean 2160P video. In fact, there are no real technical flaws by Warner. The animation itself isn't natively 4K resolution, which does limit the impact and pop this type of animated material can produce on UHD.

Munster, Go Home!

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

I've always been a big fan of the Munsters on television and was delighted hearing Shout Factory was finally giving us their first and only theatrical feature on Blu-ray. The 1966 movie has been licensed from Universal and I'm sure it's their transfer as well. Alas, it's not a new scan. The older film transfer has satisfactory detail and adequate grain reproduction, though sharp ringing can be spotted in several scenes. The picture quality's best features are fine color saturation and a steady contrast, nicely showing off the greenish make-up used on the Munster family. Some limitations in black levels lead to crushed shadow detail.

I don't believe this is the best the original elements could look, but the economic realities of any Munster release in 2020 make this so-so presentation probably the best we are going to get for this hokey but still entertaining comedy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Weird Science (Arrow)

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jumanji (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

·
Registered
485 Posts
Village of the Damned (1960)

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

Nice presentation from the Warner Archive Collection, image is very stable on all levels.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hell on Frisco Bay

recommendation: Tier 3.25*

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I haven't watched any movies since the last ones I reviewed here (which i can't even remember), so I haven't had much to comment or contribute to the thread. I'm way behind the loop, and I don't think I'll be buying many movies (or any!) in the near future. I guess it's a good thing I've got a sizeable collection, so probably I'll be rewatching some of them, and I actually have a bunch that I haven't watched. Movie hoarding must have a payoff at some point, isn't it? :p

Hope you're are doing ok.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I haven't watched any movies since the last ones I reviewed here (which i can't even remember), so I haven't had much to comment or contribute to the thread. I'm way behind the loop, and I don't think I'll be buying many movies (or any!) in the near future. I guess it's a good thing I've got a sizeable collection, so probably I'll be rewatching some of them, and I actually have a bunch that I haven't watched. Movie hoarding must have a payoff at some point, isn't it? :p

Hope you're are doing ok.
This is now the time when we all get up to date on our backlog of unwatched movies and television shows. Amazon is still delivering movies, they just show up randomly. I just received the first season of the Jetsons on BD. Now I did disinfect the package...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Phantom Stranger said:
Now I did disinfect the package...
Lol! Well, it's true. I've ordered some other stuff from Amazon, and I have to disinfect packages. It's almost comical.

Amazon Mexico is still delivering, although prices have went up, like UP, and Amazon US prices have skyrocketed for us, and that for the items they're delivering here, which are now very limited. In hindsight, I should have bought more stuff this past Black Friday...

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Lol! Well, it's true. I've ordered some other stuff from Amazon, and I have to disinfect packages. It's almost comical.

Amazon Mexico is still delivering, although prices have went up, like UP, and Amazon US prices have skyrocketed for us, and that for the items they're delivering here, which are now very limited. In hindsight, I should have bought more stuff this past Black Friday...

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
You can always re-watch the movies you own if pressed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've got a sizable stack of unwatched discs as well (60 as of today) and to think I was at 0 about a year ago :eek:. Felt a little guilty I went so crazy on Black Friday but the prices and selection were so good I couldn't pass up a great deal. With stores closed and Amazon restricting shipments on non-essentials, I'm thankful for my unwatched pile. With the Amazon situation, the specialty labels have really stepped up; I've added close to 20 titles from Arrow, Criterion, WAC, and Kino Lorber recently from some amazing sales (most give free shipping over $50 so of course I have to get 4-5 titles each time :D).

I've been meaning to get Arrow's disc. Have the older Blu-ray, but have heard good things about the new transfer.
At tier 2.5 it's a good watch. The special effects have held up on this one, I was really surprised. The image is only marred by some inherent softness.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Thanks for "dropping in AmerCa" and letting us know how you're doing. Like most, I'm busy "staying at home" with the rest of America and the world! To say we are in "unchartered waters" with this pandemic is an understatement.

I have been watching some titles from my library that I had never watched before on my LG OLED and enjoying it. I also watch quite a few series and movies on Amazon Prime and I just subscribed to Disney Plus a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed the First Season of The Mandalorian. The Pixar and Disney movies that are in 4K/HDR are a treat to watch...some very good EYE CANDY.

I'm going to go out on a limb and do something I rarely do on AVS. For those of you who have ever read my Profile, you know that I'm a firm believer in Jesus Christ and that I list some scripture verses to tell people about what He has done to give those who believe in Him "Life Assurance" (i.e. assurance of Eternal Life). I actually write articles for some Christian Publications and a few weeks ago I wrote a tract on the Coronavirus where I speak about the message there is in this pandemic for mankind. My Christian publisher has been unable to print and publish it (they are listed as a "non-essential" business at the moment), but I am printing my own copies and distributing them to people. If you would like a copy please PM me with your address and I'd be happy to send you one (and if you would want more after reading it I could send you a few more copies).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Not really impressed at all. A huge CGI-fest that makes it look soft and isn't even world class CGI like Pacific Rim, Transformers, etc... Looks more like the CGI you would find in a TV show like GoT.
No doubt a 2K DI and this CGI is 100% rendered in 2K.

Having come of back-to-back reference titles like Gemini Man and 1917 this just appears not-so-sharp, not-so-detailed, no 'pop', little punch, light grain, relatively noisy. 1917 looks so much better the director of this movie should be ashamed of himself.

Tier recommendation: 2.0

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
26301 - 26320 of 26530 Posts