recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Guardians of the Galaxy (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

Sea Chase, The (Warner Archive)
recommendation: Tier 3.75*

Sicilian Clan, The (Kino Lorber)

Moana (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (Top 10, animated)

Fail Safe (Criterion)
recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (UHD)

Addams Family, The
recommendation: Tier 2.75*

Addams Family Values

Sea Wolf, The (Warner Archive)

Hero, The (Criterion)
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°°°°°°°^
Whoa!!

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ahhh Tron Legacy. Back in the blu-ray days (c. 2012) I remember this was the ULTIMATE disc for showing off the black levels your Panasonic/Pioneer PDP or JVC projector could produce.

a 4K/HDR remaster is a must :D
Not sure why the last video isn't working but here's another gem

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Dirty Dancing

Big Lebowski, The (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.25)

Man of a Thousand Faces (Arrow Academy)

Guardians of the Galaxy (UHD)

Sea Chase, The (Warner Archive)
recommendation: Tier 3.75*

Sicilian Clan, The (Kino Lorber)

Moana (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (Top 10, animated)

Fail Safe (Criterion)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (UHD)

Addams Family, The

Addams Family Values

Sea Wolf, The (Warner Archive)

Hero, The (Criterion)
Thanks.:) It's always great how you rate movies for the PQ Tiers beyond the latest blockbusters. The system doesn't mean much if every disc lands in Tier 0.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Alien (1979)

Pretty much what I expected from something that is 40+ years old. Some shots looked comparable to modern movies others were 'DVD' looking.

Tier recommendation: 2.5

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Star Wars IX: Rise of Skywalker

Is it possible to unsee a movie? This is literally the worst movie I have ever seen, and deservedly gets a 1/10 on IMDB.

It's PQ, like almost every other Star Wars is largely unimpressive, though some planets did look pretty good, the rest was too dull, too dark, not a lot of detail or anything.

Tier recommendation: 2

·
Registered
486 Posts
Horror Express (Arrow)

Good Morning, Vietnam

Lion King, The (2019) (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (Top 5, animated)

This one is stunning; the photo realistic animation is eye popping good. The details in both the animals and backgrounds are amazing. Fur, water, dust, foliage, and pretty much every surface/texture look real and natural. Shadows and black levels are also top notch. The use of sunlight and movement from wind look very natural. There were only a few fleeting moments where some of the animated animals looked a little flat, mostly on the female lions or antelope.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Star Wars IX: Rise of Skywalker

Is it possible to unsee a movie? This is literally the worst movie I have ever seen, and deservedly gets a 1/10 on IMDB.

It's PQ, like almost every other Star Wars is largely unimpressive, though some planets did look pretty good, the rest was too dull, too dark, not a lot of detail or anything.

Tier recommendation: 2
Rise of Skywalker is WAY better than The Last Jedi. I've seen far worse than even TLJ, but to each his own. BTW, RoS got a 6.7 on IMDB, not a 1/10 (maybe an individual review?).

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Mad Max: Fury Road

The 4K/HDR wasn't as good as I remembered the blu-ray on my Kuro. I guess a lot has changed in 5 years and expectation of colour accuracy and 4K-sharpness has increased. While it still looks amazing at times, with punchy orange hues the image tended to look rather soft with relatively low-res CGI. flames and everything look rather fake. Lots of details to be found however.

Was everywhere from tier 0.5 to 1.5

Tier recommendation: 1

·
Registered
486 Posts
Grindhouse: Death Proof
recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Warner Archive)
recommendation: Tier 4.0*

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Jumanji: The Next Level (1080p)

I decided to "rent" instead of "buy" this time around, due to some miserable reviews on the movie itself. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and the PQ was spectacular!

This has it all....bold COLORS....rich BLACKS/SHADOW DETAILS....incredible DEPTH....super-strong CONTRAST....mesmerizing DETAILS and last, but not least, razor-sharp CLARITY. I believe this looked just as good as my viewing of the first installment, which was in 4K, so I'm going with the same placement recommendation...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.5)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°^°^°^
Nice, Djoberg. I had my reservations on this movie, nice to read it isn't as bad as some claim, and it has spectacular PQ. I'll check it out at some point.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: djoberg

·
Registered
41 Posts
At the risk of beating a dead horse, have you tried automating the tier list with Google Forms & Google Sheets? The form would be something simple:

Required: Movie Name
Required: Tier
Optional: UHD or HD disc
Optional: BD region
Optional: Edition info
Optional: Comments
Optional: Username

Google Form entries are automatically collected into a corresponding Google Sheet (similar to Microsoft Excel). You can share the Google Sheet publicly and people could view the data any way they please.

The default list could be a simple average, then an alphabetical sort within each tier. Just like the current list. (Tier 0 would be a special case where you would rank by closest to zero.)

I saw in another thread it's difficult to rank 4K discs alongside 1080p ones. No problem! Provide a list that includes both types in one list, and another that splits UHD / HD into their own categories.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

This sounds good but it's really up to "our man Phantom."

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Little Women (2019....1080p)

It was a foregone conclusion that my wife would want to see this so we opted to rent it (but we'll no doubt buy it once a UHD release comes out). This was not our favorite version of this (it will be hard to best the 1994 version with Susan Sarandon and Wynona Ryder...and we actually enjoyed the Amazon Prime Original version better than this). Having said that, this was still good, though a bit confusing with the countless "flashbacks" that were happening almost nonstop.

PQ-wise, it was EXCELLENT in the "future scenes" (with amazing DEPTH, DETAILS, CLARITY, COLORS and BLACK LEVELS). The "flashback scenes" were quite SOFT in many of the indoor scenes and there was a considerable amount of COLOR-GRADING (ORANGE hues, anyone?) that hindered depth and details.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.9)

PS For the record, if the PQ looked as good as the "future scenes" all the way through, this would have easily landed in the middle of Tier Blu.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
At the risk of beating a dead horse, have you tried automating the tier list with Google Forms & Google Sheets? The form would be something simple:

Required: Movie Name
Required: Tier
Optional: UHD or HD disc
Optional: BD region
Optional: Edition info
Optional: Comments
Optional: Username

Google Form entries are automatically collected into a corresponding Google Sheet (similar to Microsoft Excel). You can share the Google Sheet publicly and people could view the data any way they please.

The default list could be a simple average, then an alphabetical sort within each tier. Just like the current list. (Tier 0 would be a special case where you would rank by closest to zero.)

I saw in another thread it's difficult to rank 4K discs alongside 1080p ones. No problem! Provide a list that includes both types in one list, and another that splits UHD / HD into their own categories.
I had the same idea...in 2012. We tried it that way for several years and participation was uneven at best. I gave up on it around 2016 I'll say. It became too much of a hassle correcting the bad data and then properly translating it for the PQ Tiers. I'd welcome someone automating the process, but training users to enter their own data was always a hurdle.

The advent of UHD has complicated Tier 0. It was easier delineating spectacular PQ when it was Blu-ray, which Tier 0 should represent. Too many UHDs, movies consciously chosen by the studios for maximum video quality, bias the pool of entries. I'd say more than half of all UHDs from newer productions should land in the old conception of Tier 0. I've been pondering what to do about it.

My reviewing duties have gotten lighter as studios pull screeners and generally shut down in the wake of this situation. That should leave me more free time to get the PQ Tiers mostly current and up to date.

26321 - 26340 of 26532 Posts