AVS Forum banner

26341 - 26360 of 26473 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

I'm assuming you're reviewing the UHD version..am I right Snell?

Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°^°^°^°^
Pffffff! Do you think he'd be reviewing a 1080p disc?

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Haha of course it's the 4K/UHD version :)

I think the only regular blu-ray I have watched in the last three years was Parasite...

I haven't really bothered specifying whether it's 2K or 4K disc since literally everything I reviewed has been 4K.

Though this thread is originally made for 1080p blus, 4K is the new standard and I would rather specify when it's not 4K/HDR :cool:

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Haha of course it's the 4K/UHD version :)

I think the only regular blu-ray I have watched in the last three years was Parasite...

I haven't really bothered specifying whether it's 2K or 4K disc since literally everything I reviewed has been 4K.

Though this thread is originally made for 1080p blus, 4K is the new standard and I would rather specify when it's not 4K/HDR :cool:
The only reason I asked was because you said you had nothing to add to my review which was a review of the 1080p version. Yet I do know that you have only been watching UHD Blu-rays. I was actually hoping you would go HIGHER than my review which would have encouraged me to buy the UHD release.

In my case, I simply can't afford to BUY all my Blu-rays so I still rent a good number of them. In our rather small city of 15,000 people we only have two Redbox locations and they still don't offer the UHD version.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Lion King

Absolutely breathtaking. One of the best looking UHD discs out there and exemplary use of HDR. Probably the best looking CGI in any movie. I read that 95% of the movie was CGI and I've honestly never struggled so much in detecting which scenes were the 95% CGI and what was the 5% live action shots. A 1.85:1 prestentation that comes dangerously close to give the 'out of a window' look of the best looking movies. I think it was just a smidgen too soft to make a top 5 / top 10, but it is a top reference movie for sure.

Tier recommendation: 0.25

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Lion King

Absolutely breathtaking. One of the best looking UHD discs out there and exemplary use of HDR. Probably the best looking CGI in any movie. I read that 95% of the movie was CGI and I've honestly never struggled so much in detecting which scenes were the 95% CGI and what was the 5% live action shots. A 1.85:1 prestentation that comes dangerously close to give the 'out of a window' look of the best looking movies. I think it was just a smidgen too soft to make a top 5 / top 10, but it is a top reference movie for sure.

Tier recommendation: 0.25
I wasn't even thinking of getting this (since I haven't bee a real big fan of the animated versions) but you "whetted my appetite." I decided to check out Ralph Potts' review and his assessment mirrors yours...and so do all the "comments" from those who responded to Ralph.

But there is a caveat or two...Ralph said (and all who posted agreed) that it really "lacked heart/soul" and the audio was "disappointing." You never said anything about either of these so do you care to weigh in? Some that absolutely LOVED the PQ went on to say they'd probably never watch it again.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^

I just read the review by High Def Digest and they went along with Ralph on the PQ (being amazing!) and the story (being without emotion). But he strayed from the pack when it came to the Dolby Atmos mix...he said it was very, very good, and that you didn't even have to raise the volume as one normally has to do with a Disney production.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Well I think Lion King is the best story ever told. Absolutely loved it. Broke my heart once again. I do see why some people say it lacked soul.

The beauty of The Lion King (1994) is the facial expressions and emotions on display. You don't need to speak English or even have any audio at all and you can fully understand what is going on. Can't say the same for the 2019 version.

The PQ was phenomenal though

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
You hit the proverbial "nail on the head" by comparing the 1994 and 2019 versions, for the original had "facial expressions and emotions on display" and the recent release was void of those expressions/emotions. That is exactly why Ralph and others said it "lacked soul/emotion."

I really do want to see the exceptional PQ so perhaps I will end up ordering it. I know my grandchildren will still love the movie in spite of there being no facial expressions so that, in and of itself, would justify getting it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Gentlemen

Wasn't really impressed with this movie. For a 4K presentation it looks more like 2K, too dark/grainy/bland looking for my taste. Some decent sharpness and details here and there but subtle use of HDR, no real 'pop' to the image either.

Tier recommendation: 1.75

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Dolittle

Sharp. Punchy. Lots of pop. Great colours.
Shot in 1.85:1, great details. good CGI. Shame about the 2K DI when it was filmed in 8K... Oh well. very solid looking CGI at least :)

Tier recommendation: 0.75

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
The Call of the Wild (1080p)

This was a "nice rental" with good "family entertainment" and excellent PQ!

If I were to give you a "two word review" it would be SQUEAKY CLEAN! This has razor-sharp CLARITY with immaculate DETAILS and DEPTH. It was a "sight to behold" especially with the innumerable scenes of amazing landscapes. My "jaw was on the floor" during those scenes!! If I have one gripe (and it is more than justified) it would be with the CGI of the animals. When they running or jumping the CGI was SO OBVIOUS it was distracting; when they were motionless or barely moving they looked incredible.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.5)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Fatal Attraction (Paramount Presents)
recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Raid 2, The
recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (UHD)

Joker (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

Captain America: Civil War (UHD)

Gremlins (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Wonder Woman (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.9)

Rocketman (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.5)

Beverly Hills Cop II
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Beverly Hills Cop III
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Meg, The (UHD)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (UHD)

Day of the Jackal, The (Arrow)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Fatal Attraction (Paramount Presents)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (UHD)

Meg, The (UHD)
]

I agree with every review except these two :p

How could you put them in the same tier??? :confused::( The MEG IMO has some of the best picture quality of any movie, as long as you raise the gamma so that the image doesn't look as washed out :) and Godzilla King of the Monsters.. bluuurgh one of the worst looking blockbusters IMO.

·
Registered
485 Posts

How could you put them in the same tier??? :confused::( The MEG IMO has some of the best picture quality of any movie, as long as you raise the gamma so that the image doesn't look as washed out :) and Godzilla King of the Monsters.. bluuurgh one of the worst looking blockbusters IMO.

I call them as I see them and I shouldn't have to muck around with my settings to get a particular film to look as it should if the mastering and authoring were done correctly in the first place.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My apologies in advance if I rank someone's favorite film lower than they think.

Hunt for Red October, The (UHD)

The Blu-ray currently resides in Tier 2.0 and I suspect it was a generous ranking back in the day. Many soft shots and some black crush keep me from putting it higher.

Patriot Games (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 1.5*

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (UHD...on Disney Plus)

Okay, as you can see I did NOT see the actual UHD Blu-ray so my "official review" will come at a later date. But this did look pretty good on Disney Plus! It had excellent details, depth and clarity in close-ups and even in mid-range shots. It also had some vibrant colors courtesy of HDR. The black levels were a mixed bag with some "space scenes" featuring "inky blacks" while others didn't reach the full potential I expect on my LG OLED.

The "negatives" were some HEAVY GRAIN at times that hindered details and depth...and then some SOFTNESS in heavy CGI shots.

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS From the reviews I've read from the "experts" the actual blu-ray fared better so I suspect it should land in the latter half of Tier 0.

PPS Disney Plus only offered the Dolby Surround track so I was "underwhelmed" in that department.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

I'll have to double check that, but I do know my "HDR" icon came on as it started and the colors looked very good and the many scenes with "fire" and "laser beams" looked amazing, so I figured it had to be in HDR.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts

I call them as I see them and I shouldn't have to muck around with my settings to get a particular film to look as it should if the mastering and authoring were done correctly in the first place.
I gotta agree with Snell on this one regarding The Meg. I just finished watching it again and it still looks as good as ever! I gave it a Tier 0 (.5) ranking the first time I saw it and it still deserves that place.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/858316-new-pq-tier-thread-blu-ray-discussion-854.html#post57963570

26341 - 26360 of 26473 Posts