AVS Forum banner

26381 - 26400 of 26530 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The Postcard Killings

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

It feels unusual these days reviewing a new movie actually shot on film. The serial killer thriller was shot on location across Europe and adopts a mildly subdued color palette. There is palpable and cinematic grain in the clean video. Free of deleterious processing, it's a fine transfer that looks very presentable on Blu-ray.

Released about a week ago by RLJ Entertainment, the main feature receives a serviceable AVC encode on a BD-25. While the video quality lacks the razor-sharp trait of new digital productions, there is visible fine detail and excellent clarity.

The Postcard Killings isn't reference quality but has fairly standard picture quality for a new release in 2020.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Jaws (UHD)

The BEST it's ever looked, to be sure!!

Amazing references scenes sprinkled throughout, with excellent clarity, details and depth, along with strong contrast, nice colors, accurate flesh tones, and inky blacks. The only "negatives" were several scenes where the age (45 years old) was evident in softness, a bit of noise (or heavy grain) and some washed out daytime shots at the beach.

If you're a fan of this classic, you'll probably never see it better than this!

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS Some may be inclined to assign this to Tier 0 but IMHO they be comparing this to previous releases, but if they compare it to current titles they should, if honest, conclude it's not really "Reference Quality" all the way through.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Remove my "but" as it just confuse. It was meant to say I don't think this UHD of Jaws is reference at all but that is just my opinion.
I see.

Plenty of 'professional' reviewers are giving it five stars and 10/10 saying its so perfect and reference, but I think they are wearing rose-tinted nostalgia glasses that makes it look a lot better.

I have always disliked this, because the goal is looking like reality. It doesn't matter if its a 4K scan, 8K scan or 16K scan, if some one who has never seen the movie can tell its from the 70s or 80s just by looking at a scene or a face then it does not deserve anywhere near perfect score....

But I still will watch it and give it a score myself ;) I just some how doubt it will hold up to modern standards (at least well enough to be called 'reference')

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Jaws: this isn't anywhere reference to me compared to others out there but https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14173&d2=14171&s1=144635&s2=144631&i=4&l=1
I see.

Plenty of 'professional' reviewers are giving it five stars and 10/10 saying its so perfect and reference, but I think they are wearing rose-tinted nostalgia glasses that makes it look a lot better.

I have always disliked this, because the goal is looking like reality. It doesn't matter if its a 4K scan, 8K scan or 16K scan, if some one who has never seen the movie can tell its from the 70s or 80s just by looking at a scene or a face then it does not deserve anywhere near perfect score....

But I still will watch it and give it a score myself ;) I just some how doubt it will hold up to modern standards (at least well enough to be called 'reference')

Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Jaws (UHD)

The BEST it's ever looked, to be sure!!

Amazing references scenes sprinkled throughout, with excellent clarity, details and depth, along with strong contrast, nice colors, accurate flesh tones, and inky blacks. The only "negatives" were several scenes where the age (45 years old) was evident in softness, a bit of noise (or heavy grain) and some washed out daytime shots at the beach.

If you're a fan of this classic, you'll probably never see it better than this!

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS Some may be inclined to assign this to Tier 0 but IMHO they be comparing this to previous releases, but if they compare it to current titles they should, if honest, conclude it's not really "Reference Quality" all the way through.

I've been hearing very good things about the transfer struck for the Jaws UHD. Having already owned the movie on multiple formats, I will get it down the line.

The House That Dripped Blood

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Having always been more of a Hammer man myself, this horror anthology offering from their rival Amicus wasn't always on my radar. Scream Factory issued the 1971 British horror movie just two years ago on Blu-ray. The good news is that it receives a modern film scan from the original camera negative. Rich color reproduction and nigh perfect black levels make for superficially rewarding picture quality. Warm, healthy flesh-tones and a ripe contrast have the British movie looking better than ever with outstanding detail.

The one issue here is that subtle ringing and processing can be spotted on larger displays. Some mild filtering has been applied, even if the pin-sharp presentation lacks any outward sign of trouble. The House That Dripped Blood certainly pops with a clarity and color fidelity uncommon for its period.

Shout Factory cleanly encodes the pristine presentation with top-notch AVC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What's the word on the new 4k releases of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back? Are they any good? What about the 1080p releases included with the 4k ones?

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I've been hearing very good things about the transfer struck for the Jaws UHD. Having already owned the movie on multiple formats, I will get it down the line.
I do believe you will be pleased, for as I have said "it has never looked this good and perhaps it's the best it will ever look."

Having said that, it is NOT "Reference Quality" IMO, even though many are touting it as such on Ralph Potts' website where Ralph gave it a perfect score of 100 for PQ. I disagreed with him but then I realized that his "criteria" for analyzing and scoring PQ is different than ours, especially when it comes to "Director's Intent." For example, in Jaws there are definitely a number of scenes with a very SOFT FOCUS. Ralph knows this but he says it was the director's intention so it shouldn't be penalized in the PQ score since it looks "the way it should look" and "the way it looked in the Cinema." I countered that by saying we would indeed penalize scenes with softness because it hinders "clarity" and that is one of the criteria we go by in our placement recommendation. The vast majority of AVS members that joined our discussion agreed with Ralph and I basically said, "It's all a matter of CRITERIA for analyzing and scoring PQ" and I emphasized that on this Thread we are looking objectively for EYE CANDY, not on how true the Blu-ray lines up with what the Director had in mind.

I also stated what I did in my review; that a title's PQ should not simply be judged by comparing it with its previous releases, but on how it compares to current titles in any given tier. That too did not go over very well! Oh well, sometimes I need to learn to keep my thoughts to myself when I'm visiting other threads that review Blu-rays.;)

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
^^^^^^^^

By the way, I read Matt's review of the Jaws UHD release on Do.Blu.com and he did NOT imply at all that it was "Reference Quality" and he ranked the PQ "4 out of 5 stars."

Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°°°°°^
Isn't that the sane crowd who always criticizes Disney for their audio mixes? Director's "intent" doesn't count in those cases? But since every one of us has a different criteria for judging PQ or AQ, most of those discussions lead nowhere.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
^^^^^^

Yes, AmerCa....same crowd, but to their credit they DO penalize the "Audio Score" when the bass/LFE is lacking due to the Studio/Director limiting the low frequency. This is why I'm baffled that they aren't consistent when it come to the "PQ Score."

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmmm...*sigh*. My Vizio TV now has a vertical line of dead pixels. Fortunately, it's very thin, at a 1/4 of the left side, but of course it's noticeable, especially in clear/daylight scenes. My TV is out of warranty so there's nothing I can do about it. So, when watching movies I just tried to pretend it isn't there. Dammit.

I just hope it stays that way, and the line doesn't "expand".

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Are the rankings here applicable for the same movies streamed via iTunes, by any chance? I’m looking for some movies to stream on a new TV (which I haven’t bought yet).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Are the rankings here applicable for the same movies streamed via iTunes, by any chance? I’m looking for some movies to stream on a new TV (which I haven’t bought yet).
In theory, yes. But it all depends on the bitrate. So if a movie receives stellar PQ marks here, it should translate to the streaming version.

Reactions: BrettStah

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Hmmm...*sigh*. My Vizio TV now has a vertical line of dead pixels. Fortunately, it's very thin, at a 1/4 of the left side, but of course it's noticeable, especially in clear/daylight scenes. My TV is out of warranty so there's nothing I can do about it. So, when watching movies I just tried to pretend it isn't there.

I just hope it stays that way, and the line doesn't "expand".

Yikes! Do you remember that this is exactly what happened to my Flagship Sony 75" LCD/LED? I bought in 2016 and it developed a "red vertical line" (which was VERY noticeable) and my warranty had just expired! I was told it would cost several thousand dollars to repair it so I ended up throwing it away and replacing it with my 77" LG OLED. Needless to say, I bought a 5-year extended warranty on this from Best Buy...just in case!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^°^°^°^°^
Wow. I didn't remember the specifics, but apparently, it's a common issue with faulty panels? My line is dark blue, but very thin. I can notice it, but I can "forget" about it when watching a movie. This just happened, and I've watched two movies, and well, it sucks, but it's not terrible. I can live with it for the time being.

The irony of it all is that my TV is for watching exclusively my BDs, and very occasionally, some music videos from a flash drive. It really doesn't have that many hours. My two other cheaper and smaller TVs are still working after many years of heavy usage without issues. Hilarious!

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

My line was somewhat thin but dark red and I tried to ignore it but to no avail.:( The "bright side" of this was, of course, getting the OLED that I always wanted...at a price which was no longer in the stratosphere.:cool:

26381 - 26400 of 26530 Posts