AVS Forum banner

26421 - 26440 of 26541 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The Call of the Wild

Sharp & Clean looking image that is mostly image, but the excess CGI made it look a bit too soft to be placed in that category.

Tier recommendation: 1

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
American Psycho (4K restoration)

Out of all the old movies I've seen, this might be the best looking. I don't think I've seen a better looking movie that is 20 years old. Maybe Lawrence of Arabia and The Thin Red Line, though I've only seen the 1080p versions and that was more than half a decade ago, before the 4K/HDR revolution.

Lots of detail, no bad scenes, virtually grain-free but still presents a filmic look. I think LOTR:ROTK (2003) is the oldest movie that looks better than this! Very pleasantly surprised after always being disappointed when movies are 20 years or older receiving 10/10s as if they could compete with the best of 2019 and 2020.

Tier recommendation: 0.75

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Jaws

Pleasant, organic looking image. Very impressive for a movie that is almost 50 years old! Though it's filmic picture looks nice at times it does have heavy grain and some of the images are pretty poor. The variability in quality from an analog source. Some shots had really good details.

Tier recommendation: 1.5

Snell, I viewed my BD (2014 release) recently--still impressed. During a couple of shots I wondered how 4K UHD handled them. Beach scenes where Chief is gazing toward the swimmers. Hot sandy salty air. I thought film caught it perfectly (remembering my beach bum days), though to some the picture might seem faded. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Snell, I viewed my BD (2014 release) recently--still impressed. During a couple of shots I wondered how 4K UHD handled them. Beach scenes where Chief is gazing toward the swimmers. Hot sandy salty air. I thought film caught it perfectly (remembering my beach bum days), though to some the picture might seem faded. Any thoughts?
Will rewatch and see! As I said some shots looked really detailed but others looked grainy and horrible. Almost like VHS quality.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Frozen II

By far and large; the best looking animated movie, EVER. HTTYD3 was a phenomenal top reference movie but Frozen II is next level. It's the sharpest and most detailed I've seen from Disney (or anyone else) bold colours, punchy image with lots of POP :D I watched this movie quite a while ago but forgot to review it so I don't remember the exact scene, but there's a part where Olaf sings and the entire screen goes black except for the animated character sticking out in '3D space'. That depth, the infinite contrast and absolute black is one the best scenes I've ever scene in a movie.

Tier recommendation: 0 (#1 best-in-class animation)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Frozen II

By far and large; the best looking animated movie, EVER. HTTYD3 was a phenomenal top reference movie but Frozen II is next level. It's the sharpest and most detailed I've seen from Disney (or anyone else) bold colours, punchy image with lots of POP :D I watched this movie quite a while ago but forgot to review it so I don't remember the exact scene, but there's a part where Olaf sings and the entire screen goes black except for the animated character sticking out in '3D space'. That depth, the infinite contrast and absolute black is one the best scenes I've ever scene in a movie.

Tier recommendation: 0 (#1 best-in-class animation)
Yep, your assessment mirrors mine. I added a few more "superlatives" in my review, which is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/858316-new-pq-tier-thread-blu-ray-discussion-875.html#post59306014

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yep, your assessment mirrors mine. I added a few more "superlatives" in my review, which is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/858316-new-pq-tier-thread-blu-ray-discussion-875.html#post59306014
Yeah it truly is remarkable and deserves all the superlatives you gave it. I see you referenced the same two or three scenes as I did, with the singing that fades to black :cool: I haven't watched every animated movie but this one is certainly the best of all I have seen :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Have a productive and festive Independence day!

Fit To Kill

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

Andy Sidaris and his Malibu Bay Films have been serviced reasonably well by Mill Creek Entertainment. They've been steadily issuing his body of exploitation films on Blu-ray with new film transfers, most taken from the camera negatives. Sun-lit exteriors and a focus on clarity produce good-looking video on Blu-ray. Fit To Kill exhibits excellent grain reproduction and a pumped-up contrast with warm flesh-tones. The color palette is nicely saturated, tilted towards magenta.

The film elements are in almost perfect condition. Mill Creek doesn't have a great reputation with videophiles but their work here is exemplary. Technical parameters are up to snuff with a thorough AVC encode spread out on a BD-50.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Blood and Money

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

This indie feature starring Tom Berenger looks like a million bucks. The crisp, razor-sharp digital cinematography takes full advantage of the movie's frigid landscape in Northern Maine. Director John Barr serves as his own cinematographer for the thriller and demonstrates a keen sense of composition in the 2.00:1 presentation. The snow-packed forests have never looked so inviting.

Released by independent distributor Screen Media, the Blu-ray receives a technically perfect transfer in pristine condition. Top-notch clarity and consistent picture quality produces video that likely would have landed easily in Tier 0, before the appearance of UHDs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Deadpool 2

Saw this in the cinema day 1 and finally two years later I watch it at home in 4K/HDR. It doesn't disappoint. Looks exactly like its cinematic presentation, a nice thin layer of grain structure gives it a slight filmic look while still looking sharp and rendering good amount of detail.

Better than anything DC (Sans Nolan) PQ-wise, but isn't quite as good as the best Marvel movies (GOTG2, Avengers, Black Panther)

Still really great!

Tier recommendation: 0.75

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Just chiming in to say we've had our family here from Phoenix the last 11 days so I haven't had time to rent or buy new Blu-rays.

Oh, and for the FIRST TIME ever, I'm having my OLED professionally calibrated by Chad B (a well-known and highly esteemed touring calibrator) on Monday, August 10th. I can't wait! I've always wanted to see what difference a real calibration can make when every setting is dialed in to "industry standards." I'm still thinking, "How in the world can this display look any better?" and yet that's exactly what I'm anticipating. :cool:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just chiming in to say we've had our family here from Phoenix the last 11 days so I haven't had time to rent or buy new Blu-rays.

Oh, and for the FIRST TIME ever, I'm having my OLED professionally calibrated by Chad B (a well-known and highly esteemed touring calibrator) on Monday, August 10th. I can't wait! I've always wanted to see what difference a real calibration can make when every setting is dialed in to "industry standards." I'm still thinking, "How in the world can this display look any better?" and yet that's exactly what I'm anticipating. :cool:
Enjoy! There's not much on the consumer market that looks better than a professionally calibrated C9 ;)

Bet it'll make all your movies look .25 better :D:D

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Enjoy! There's not much on the consumer market that looks better than a professionally calibrated C9 ;)

Bet it'll make all your movies look .25 better :D:D
Thanks for the encouragement Snell!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Joker

Finally got this movie in 4K/HDR at home. One of my all time favourite movies and IMO the greatest comic based film ever, after The Dark Knight.

Visually it is stunning. Filmed with what I think is the best Alexa camera ever - Alexa LF (Large Format) 4.5K so this film met the ultra high standards met by other movies like for instance 1917.

Though shot digitally it has a very nice organic look. It's very dark but you can still see all those details :cool: colours are a bit muted (thematically) so not much pop to speak of but for what it is Joker does really, really well and there are some stunning high contrast / HDR scenes.

Pores, skin, make-up all the textures well defined. Superb blacks.

Almost forgot, the movie is filmed in 1.85:1 and I do have a soft spot for those movies.

Tier recommendation: 0.33

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
^^^^^

Your review makes me want to see it for the PQ! But the content of the film is holding me back, for I've heard it is a DEPRESSING and HOPELESS movie; in one word, very DARK. It also contains a lot of what I call "gratuitous language." Because of that it is NOT something I would enjoy. I realize the moviegoers had mixed reactions, with some expressing what you said and others saying what I just said.

26421 - 26440 of 26541 Posts