AVS Forum banner

26441 - 26460 of 26530 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just chiming in to say we've had our family here from Phoenix the last 11 days so I haven't had time to rent or buy new Blu-rays.

Oh, and for the FIRST TIME ever, I'm having my OLED professionally calibrated by Chad B (a well-known and highly esteemed touring calibrator) on Monday, August 10th. I can't wait! I've always wanted to see what difference a real calibration can make when every setting is dialed in to "industry standards." I'm still thinking, "How in the world can this display look any better?" and yet that's exactly what I'm anticipating. :cool:

Chad B did a great job with my JVC X790 projector. I think you'll be pleased.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Just chiming in to say we've had our family here from Phoenix the last 11 days so I haven't had time to rent or buy new Blu-rays.

Oh, and for the FIRST TIME ever, I'm having my OLED professionally calibrated by Chad B (a well-known and highly esteemed touring calibrator) on Monday, August 10th. I can't wait! I've always wanted to see what difference a real calibration can make when every setting is dialed in to "industry standards." I'm still thinking, "How in the world can this display look any better?" and yet that's exactly what I'm anticipating. :cool:
Guys,

I've used his Expert services twice and he will be coming back again in the near future once my JVC RS4500 returns from the JVC Repair-Center in CA..

Chad B is the Real-Deal ...............

Terry

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
^^^^^

Your review makes me want to see it for the PQ! But the content of the film is holding me back, for I've heard it is a DEPRESSING and HOPELESS movie; in one word, very DARK. It also contains a lot of what I call "gratuitous language." Because of that it is NOT something I would enjoy. I realize the moviegoers had mixed reactions, with some expressing what you said and others saying what I just said.
Joker is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Screenplay, character development, acting, storyline, cinematography, pacing, atmosphere everything is a masterpiece. Thankfully the PQ is also, really, really good!

It's dark, depressing, hopeless, etc because that's exactly how Todd Philips makes you want to feel. Joaquin Phoenix's performance as Joker is one of the most oscar-worthy roles I have seen in years! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Guys,

I've used his Expert services twice and he will be coming back again in the near future once my JVC RS4500 returns from the JVC Repair-Center in CA..

Terry
Do you know if Chad make house calls in Northern CA? I left him a message on this forum about a month ago and didn't hear back from him?

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Guys,

Terry
Hey Terry,

Thanks so much for your encouraging post and for showing pictures of your "very nice" Home Theater room and of Chad B. Again, I will be thrilled to meet Chad, to see his passion in what he does; and I'm absolutely confident that he will "work his magic" on my LG 77C8 OLED and I too will be echoing your words "Chad is the Real Deal!"

Denny

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Hey Fred,

So good to hear from you! I had no idea that Chad B. had calibrated your JVC projector and your post has given me even more confidence that I have made a wise choice in choosing Chad to calibrate my LG OLED. I truly feel blessed that he is touring our great state of Minnesota and that he is willing to travel a bit outside of his normal area in Minnesota to bless me with his knowledge and expertise.

Snell said that my movies "may" look 25% better after he's done....if that's the case I will be revisiting many of the Blu-rays (especially all of my UHD/HDR Blu-rays) in my rather huge library after he's done, which will keep me occupied for a very long time!:cool:

Reactions: fredxr2d2

·
Registered
6,857 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Do you know if Chad make house calls in Northern CA? I left him a message on this forum about a month ago and didn't hear back from him?
Robbie,

I just made an attempt to contact Chad and gave him your above Posted question ^^^.

Let me know if it works but it might be awhile before he contacts you.
It's according to where he is traveling doing his thing.

Terry

·
Registered
155 Posts
Robbie,

I just made an attempt to contact Chad and gave him your above Posted question ^^^.

Let me know if it works but it might be awhile before he contacts you.
It's according to where he is traveling doing his thing.

Terry
Thanks Terry. I went to his web page yesterday and put in a request and I received an email response this morning already. Chad will be in my area in January next year, so I'm on his contact list to schedule a date then. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much he can improve the picture and the ATMOS sound with my two PB16U subs in my family room. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Thanks Terry. I went to his web page yesterday and put in a request and I received an email response this morning already. Chad will be in my area in January next year, so I'm on his contact list to schedule a date then. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much he can improve the picture and the ATMOS sound with my two PB16U subs in my family room. Thanks again.
Your post just reminded me how much I wished I was having Chad do my AUDIO too. But the price is quite high and it doesn't fit well into my budget. I did do the Audyssey XT32 calibration (which came with my Denon 4300 AVR) and it sounds fantastic, but I'm sure Chad could take it up a notch or two...just like he will be doing with the PQ after his video calibration.

Just so you know, I had contacted Chad way back in September of last year so I had to wait nearly a year for him to schedule me in. But "patience is a virtue" so we will be rewarded for the long wait!:cool:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
^^^^^

Your review makes me want to see it {Joker} for the PQ! But the content of the film is holding me back, for I've heard it is a DEPRESSING and HOPELESS movie; in one word, very DARK. It also contains a lot of what I call "gratuitous language." Because of that it is NOT something I would enjoy. I realize the moviegoers had mixed reactions, with some expressing what you said and others saying what I just said.
Personal thing and I fully understand. I'll see Joker (2019) at some point, but it'll likely be a one-and-done with no desire to library it...such as other critically acclaimed films Se7en (1995), Silence of the Lambs (1991).

Some push buttons, some don't. FWIW I like and own discs for Bone Tomahawk (2015), Hannibal (2001), all Quentin Tarantino films with "disturbing" subject matter.

I noticed these results in a related web search, and don't recommend reading. ;)

"13 of the Most Disturbing — and Critically Acclaimed — Movies to Ever Hit Theaters" - ewdotcom

"The Most Disturbing Movies of All Time" - complexdotcom

"The Ultimate Disturbing Movies List" - IMDbdotcom

Cheers and happy viewing. :)

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (1080p)

First off, this was much more dramatic a film than I had expected. I was drawn in by the exemplary acting of Tom Hanks, Matthew Rhys (one of my favorite actors!), and Chris Cooper. It is an "unusual" movie with a very slow pace but with very good character development.

PQ-wise, it was less-than-stellar in just about every way. Much of its 100 minute running time featured sporadic SOFT SHOTS, DULL BLACK LEVELS, and EGREGIOUS COLOR-GRADING. On the positive side, when PRIMARIES rose to the occasion the COLORS were "naturally beautiful" and there were instances of some incredible DEPTH. I should add that many of the in-studio scenes with Mr. Rogers were shot with a 16mm camera so you can imagine how weak the PQ was at those times.

Tier Recommendation: 2.0*

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Scoob!

The best looking non-Pixar / Disney animated movie I have seen. Bold, punchy colours giving a sense of 3D-like depth, lots of pop, dynamic range lovely greens, blues, purples every where. Another prime example of 2K CGI looking nothing less than 4K CGI :)

Tier recommendation: 0.50

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Just chiming in to comment on the "new look" of this thread. In a word, "Disappointed!"

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
+1 Gonna take some time to get use to.
I guess I really should have said, "Disappointed SO FAR." I have been delving a bit deeper into all the changes that were made and some are quite interesting, but there is perhaps TOO MUCH to distract from our main purpose coming here, which is to communicate our passion for A/V and thus to "learn from one another."

There seem to be some obvious "quirks" such as the AVATAR. My picture used to show the Front of my Home Theater system "symmetrically" but now it is way off and only shows 3/4 of it.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Where is an option to DELETE a post?

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I'm not one for big changes!

26441 - 26460 of 26530 Posts