AVS Forum banner

26461 - 26480 of 26529 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood

Shot on film, and a specific visual aesthetic in mind. I don't like stylised looks I prefer natural unfiltered.
It still looked decent, but IMO the 1994 Pulp Fiction looks a lot better (based on memory of the 1080p blu-ray ... I will look for the 4K version!)

Tier recommendation: 1.25

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The new forum interface and aesthetics will certainly take me some time getting comfortable again. I was afraid the forum change would wreak the PQ Tiers layout like the last time (2012?) this happened, but they appear untouched. The Tiers don't look bad at all in the "dark" forum skin.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
It's time to "balance the scales," for I have been quite negative about the new format on AVS. I just discovered that the Search Engine ("Search Community" above) is FANTASTIC! After you type in what you're searching for you have three options, including "Search this discussion," and if you click that on you will get a very quick reply. For example, I typed in Lawrence of Arabia and it took me to all of the reviews immediately and that title goes back 8 years!! If you will recall, searching for reviews, especially ones going back a few years or more, was an "exercise in futility." Not anymore! :cool:

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I just purchased a copy of the UHD release of Waterworld earlier this week but I've only watched the first 20 minutes. So far, SO GOOD! I will certainly weigh in when I get a chance to watch the whole thing.

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I just purchased a copy of the UHD release of Waterworld earlier this week but I've only watched the first 20 minutes. So far, SO GOOD! I will certainly weigh in when I get a chance to watch the whole thing.
djoberg,

I would and will be very interested in what you think of Both the Audio & Video ???
And a picture of which exact disc you have ???

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Here you go:

IMG_3496.jpg

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
By the way, so far the AUDIO is amazing! It's a LOUD MIX yet it's very BALANCED, with precision throughout my nine channels (including excellent dialogue clarity), and thunderous LFE/Bass in my dual SVS subs!

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I'm tempted to wait until Chad B does his magic (on Monday) before watching Waterworld.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Interesting read for you guys:

Lawrence of Arabia in 4K/HDR

Just listen to what the author of DoBlu says about Lawrence of Arabia, now in 4K/HDR/WCG/10bit

He actually states its the finest imagery ever pressed on disc - holy ****.

I'm very certain I gave the 1080p blu-ray watched on my 9G Kuro a Tier 0 placement...

So needlessly to say I ordered this movie right away

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I too gave the 1080p a Tier 0 placement. Here is my review (you will need to click on the BLUE LINK to actually see):

You say you "ordered this movie right away." I only see it offered in a "bundle" with 5 other movies at a pretty steep price, especially considering some of the movies aren't that good (IMHO). Or were you able to purchase it alone somewhere?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sorry, I added my comment a bit prematurely. I said that as I opened the websites my regular shops. I cannot find it for sale at all in Norway and on US websites like Amazon I only find the immensely expensive collection full of crap (I guess Jerry Maguire might be a good movie, people have recommended it to me before!)

I found a place in the Czech Republic that sells Lawrence of Arabia 4K/HDR on its own and at a decent place, but they are sold out right now.

but if it truly is the best picture quality ever (or even half as good as described in my provided link) then it might be worth splurging $200 for the entire collection and enjoy some other 4K/HDR movies as well

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I too gave the 1080p a Tier 0 placement. Here is my review (you will need to click on the BLUE LINK to actually see):

You say you "ordered this movie right away." I only see it offered in a "bundle" with 5 other movies at a pretty steep price, especially considering some of the movies aren't that good (IMHO). Or were you able to purchase it alone somewhere?
djoberg,

Here is the "ONLY" way you can order it that I'm aware of.

I have it .............

I'm waiting for my JVC RS4500 laser projector to get back from their "Repair-Center" in CA to watch it.

Terry

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm tempted to wait until Chad B does his magic (on Monday) before watching Waterworld.
Watch the TV cut before Chad does his magic. It will provide some background missing from the Theatrical cut plus has, IMHO, a much more satisfying ending. Then compare the 4k cuts PQ with Chad's setting to the TV cut which is still 2K.

Reactions: djoberg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I followed the link to this discussion topic in the thread titled Blu-ray & UHD Picture Quality Rankings: The PQ Tiers July 2017 but the main post says Last Update: January 5, 2019. Using the site search feature brings up PQ Teir topics from 2008, 2015 and that one Iinked above. Also, if it was updated in 2019, why wasn't the thread title changed?

My question is; is this the most up to date PQ Tier thread. Has it in fact been updated more recently and the OP just hasn't changed the Last Update date? It's a bit confusing since the forum (unlike nearly every forum software for the last 10 years) doesn't tell you the last edited date on each individual post (which is incredibly handy).

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I followed the link to this discussion topic in the thread titled Blu-ray & UHD Picture Quality Rankings: The PQ Tiers July 2017 but the main post says Last Update: January 5, 2019. Using the site search feature brings up PQ Teir topics from 2008, 2015 and that one Iinked above. Also, if it was updated in 2019, why wasn't the thread title changed?

My question is; is this the most up to date PQ Tier thread. Has it in fact been updated more recently and the OP just hasn't changed the Last Update date? It's a bit confusing since the forum (unlike nearly every forum software for the last 10 years) doesn't tell you the last edited date on each individual post (which is incredibly handy).
The page that says last edited on January 5th, 2019 is the latest update. The old forum software didn't allow users to alter existing thread titles, which is why it says July 2017. Those older threads were once the main PQ Tiers; we felt it wise to keep them around for posterity but they are largely out of date by now.

Every disc below Tier 0 was updated through 2019.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Waterworld (UHD)

I will say right out front that all previous releases of this title "pale in comparison" to this UHD release! Oh, it still has a lot of "grittiness" due to heavy grain at times and softness, but the DETAILS and DEPTH are outstanding, especially when the cameraman zooms in close. Facial details are finely-rendered, revealing every pore, scar, whisker, etc. and details in the boats, jet skis, airplanes, and clothing are also pure eye candy. They make up for the drab look caused by muted colors and tons of rust covering nearly every inanimate object that's been subjected to "salt water" for who knows how long. Speaking of colors, there is one amazing color featured from beginning to end...yeah, you guessed it...the rich BLUE seas and BLUE skies! This is where HDR really shines! There are also some other "primaries" sprinkled in here and there which are a rare treat, especially against a rust-colored background. Last, but not least, BLACK LEVELS/SHADOW DETAILS were to-die-for!

AQ-wise, the DTX-HD Master Audio is ROCK SOLID. As you may know, there is plenty of action and this allows for some amazing panning effects across all channels, including the height channels! LFE/bass is also on display in quite a few scenes creating waves of energy that brought a smile to my face! I loved the musical score and there is one scene (with Costner teaching the young girl to swim) with a beautiful melody that emanated from every speaker and it had just the right about of bass.

If not for the grittiness and softness in a fair number of scenes this could have ended up in the bottom of Tier 0, but in fairness I must consign it to Tier Gold. Methinks it deserves to be put right here....

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Chad B was here today for about 3 1/2 hours. He calibrated THREE INPUTS (ISF Dark Room for SDR, and CINEMA for both HDR and DOLBY VISION). He is everything that has been said about him...a VERY FRIENDLY guy who takes his work VERY SERIOUSLY and who does a VERY GOOD job! What I am noticing so far (in my limited time watching broadcasts and Waterworld) is fantastic "shadow details"! Depth seems much better as well and flesh tones are as "natural as they come." Oh, and Chad was able to eliminate the "dimming" altogether that happens when watching cable news channels where there is a still image for more than a minute or two. That used to bother me a lot...but no more!

It may take awhile to get used to satellite broadcasts for they don't have as much POP as they did before, but I do love how "natural" everything looks. I have always used MOVIE MODE in my displays (or the PURE MODE on my Pioneer KURO plasma), but they were never this soft/dark. I do believe I'll come to love the new look just as I did "way back when" when I quit using VIVID or STANDARD (believe me, this was truly WAY BACK).

EDIT: I have been watching different channels throughout the day and I am amazing at the CLARITY, DEPTH and POP that I'm now seeing! I can't describe how REAL everything looks now compared to before the calibration... I absolutely LOVE IT! Either my "eyes were OFF" last night or the PQ got "better overnight."

·
Registered
6 Posts
The page that says last edited on January 5th, 2019 is the latest update. The old forum software didn't allow users to alter existing thread titles, which is why it says July 2017. Those older threads were once the main PQ Tiers; we felt it wise to keep them around for posterity but they are largely out of date by now.

Every disc below Tier 0 was updated through 2019.
Ah ok. Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is i have just moved into a new house in which I have more of an opportunity to set up a media room and as I was unpacking my rather small (about 40) blu-ray collection from storage I decided to buy some coloured stickers and rank my titles by PQ tier. As I was going through my titles I was surprised to come across a rather large proportion that are not even on the PQ tier lists. These titles are as follows:
  • Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - curiously with a 1997 copyright
  • Risky Business (1983)
  • Raw Deal (1986)
  • The Lost Boys (1987)
  • Born on The Fourth of July (1989)
  • The Last Action Hero (1993)
  • Just Cause (1995)
  • Maximum Risk (1996)
  • Hard Rain (1998)
  • Half Past Dead (2002)
  • Felon (2008)
  • Extant: The First Season (2015)
With the exception of the last one, which I acquired pretty cheap from a retailer, the others I scored in a box at a second hand shop, along with Red Heat, Universal Soldier, Twister, Transporter 3, Little Fockers, The Bourne Trilogy and Basic Instinct for about $40AU

I don't hold out much hope for amazing PQ with many of these 80's and 90s movies, but I got a bunch of blu-rays for cheap and I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Chad B was here today for about 3 1/2 hours.
He calibrated THREE INPUTS (ISF Dark Room for SDR, and CINEMA for both HDR and DOLBY VISION).
He is everything that has been said about him...a VERY FRIENDLY guy who takes his work VERY SERIOUSLY and who does a VERY GOOD job!
What I am noticing so far (in my limited time watching broadcasts and Waterworld) is fantastic "shadow details"! Depth seems much better as well and flesh tones are as "natural as they come." Oh, and Chad was able to eliminate the "dimming" altogether that happens when watching cable news channels where there is a still image for more than a minute. That used to bother me a lot...but no more!

It may take awhile to get used to satellite broadcasts for they don't have as much POP as they did before, but I do love how "natural" everything looks. I have always used MOVIE MODE in my displays (or the PURE MODE on my Pioneer KURO plasma), but they were never this soft/dark. I do believe I'll come to love the new look just as I did "way back when" when I quit using VIVID or STANDARD (believe me, this was truly WAY BACK).
djoberg,

I have used Chad B multiple times and he will be returning again once my JVC RS4500 gets back from being repaired by JVC in CA.
As you said above ^^^ he is the Real-Deal and does take what he does Very-Very Seriously.
He is a True-Caring-Professional !!!

Terry

26461 - 26480 of 26529 Posts