AVS Forum banner

26521 - 26540 of 26565 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Since Djoberg recently posted his review of TDK:R stated the IMAX 15/70 scenes as some of, if not the best PQ ever...

Anyone else here excited for TENET ? I saw it in the cinema (non-IMAX... we only have digital in Norway :( )
and I can tell which scenes were filmed with the IMAX MSM 9802 camera that Nolan used in TDK, TDK:R, Interstellar and Dunkirk.

It's the same analog film camera that gave us the #1 reference beating IMAX 15/70mm 16:9 shots in those movies, but unlike TDK, TDK:R and Interstellar which were 'ruined' by the significantly inferior 35mm 2.35:1 shots TENET is filmed in 65mm for the non-IMAX shots! It obviously won't look as good as IMAX, but not as noisy and 'bad' as the other Nolan movies :) Dunkirk I believe used 65mm for non-IMAX shots too.

Nolan modified the IMAX MSM9802 and MKIII/MKIV so apparently its been used in scenarios where it previously wouldn't be possible.

Nolan's usage of IMAX in his previous films were as follows:
The Dark Knight - 28 minutes
The Dark Knight Rises - 65 minutes (about 50%!)
Interstellar - ≈ 50 minutes
Dunkirk - ± 70% of the movie in IMAX 15/70mm, the other 30% in regular 70mm
TENET is said to be about 50-60% of the movie which has a 150 minute run time. It is also said to be the largest/longest film ever filmed in the IMAX 15/70mm format (Dunkirk was only 90 minutes long I believe so around the same film length of TDK:R was shot in IMAX)

I personally have Dunkirk as #1 best looking film and Interstellar gets top 5 and The Dark Knight Rises top 10 somewhere. The latter to scoring lower on the list because of the 35mm scenes.

I predict Tenet will grab #1 ultimate reference disc spot for me :cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I particularly look forward to the opening scene, which much like the bank robbery in TDK and the plane highjack in TDK:R will be my go-to reference demo scene for displays to come :D

Also the ending battle scene will be on replay for a long while to come.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

I'm "all in" on the upcoming release of Tenet. Sounds kind of "mysterious"...like Inception was.

EDIT: Okay, I just read a lot of reviews (professional and audience) and the general consensus is: it's a very confusing movie! Even those with positive reviews said they got lost and that it will take repeated viewings to "figure it out." That was my first impression of Inception and even after a couple more viewings I was "scratching my head." They say this is MORE CONFUSING. Yet there was also a positive view of the amazing PQ by everyone! Audio-wise, they said that it was really hard to follow the dialogue during action scenes, which reminds me of Interstellar and the looowwww voice of Matthew McConaughey.

BTW, I read that there were 72 minutes of IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight Rises.

Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Registered
799 Posts
Largely because of the reviews in this this thread, last night I watched (the first hour of) "Transformers: The Last Knight". The PQ was amazing, I think the best I've seen. But it led me to wonder which 4K UHD discs do people consider to have best PQ for narrative films that don't have any (or many) CG effects?

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Snell's review below of Star Wars: The Last Jedi is two years old but in my viewing tonight, on Disney Plus, I was just as disappointed as he was. What I simply can't understand is the "weak blacks," especially in "space scenes." They just didn't have the deep, inky blacks that I saw in the first 6 episodes. I guess I would give it the same placement of...

Tier Recommendation: 1.5

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Well this movie was... disappointing. I watched Star Wars Episode VII and Rogue One in the cinema and they looked good there, missed Episode VIII but picked it up in 4K/HDR and the picture quality just wasn't that special. I believe Episode VII is rated tier 0 material here in this thread but its sequel is anything but. There's film grain although it ranks among some of the least intrusive film grain, there's a good amount of detail in most shots but the image just isn't all that sharp. It looks like a 4K remaster of something from the 90s. Pulp Fiction from 1994 looks more detailed and sharper on Blu-ray

I'm not saying it was bad, there were some decent looking shots and the latter half of the film had much better picture quality than the first half. Ultimately let down by a few instances of poor contrast as well.

Now that's a shame, this movie has a 4K DI, and supposedly contains scenes that are filmed by the best camera in the world (!) IMAX 9802, the same camera Nolan uses to shoot his better-than-real-life BEYOND REFERENCE 15/70mm IMAX scenes in TDK, TDK:R, Interstellar and Dunkirk.

I saw no such usage or anything remotely close throughout the entire movie but as I mentioned some shots did look significantly better than others.

Tier recommendation: 1.5*

Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

I'm "all in" on the upcoming release of Tenet. Sounds kind of "mysterious"...like Inception was.

EDIT: Okay, I just read a lot of reviews (professional and audience) and the general consensus is: it's a very confusing movie! Even those with positive reviews said they got lost and that it will take repeated viewings to "figure it out." That was my first impression of Inception and even after a couple more viewings I was "scratching my head." They say this is MORE CONFUSING. Yet there was also a positive view of the amazing PQ by everyone! Audio-wise, they said that it was really hard to follow the dialogue during action scenes, which reminds me of Interstellar and the looowwww voice of Matthew McConaughey.

BTW, I read that there were 72 minutes of IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight Rises.

I had zero problems whatsoever understanding what was being said. In fact I was bothered by the Norwegian subtitles underneath, but I did my best not looking at them. (At home I never use subtitles neither English nor Norwegian). I thought the audio was very loud and clearly and people were articulate when they spoke.
The audio and PQ were amazing, the story was very heavy and hard to follow, but it made me want to immediately rewatch it, which has never really happened before.

and you are right about TDK:R, I was working off memory. I remember about half of the movie was IMAX 15/70mm.

TENET is rumoured to have at least the same %, with the longest total running time of any film filmed in the analog format

So by any means we are getting a MINIMUM of 75 minutes of IMAX 15/70mm with TENET :)

I already know this is going to be in my top 3! :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Largely because of the reviews in this this thread, last night I watched (the first hour of) "Transformers: The Last Knight". The PQ was amazing, I think the best I've seen. But it led me to wonder which 4K UHD discs do people consider to have PQ for narrative films that don't have any (or many) CG effects?
Glad you enjoyed the PQ of Transformers 5! I can happily recommend it to everyone and almost everyone I know puts it as their #1 or top 3 at least.

My two ultimate reference movies are Dunkirk and Transformers: Last Knight. The latter has the best 'average' look while Dunkirk at its best (the 16:9 shots filmed in IMAX 15/70) is the best of any movie ever (along with Interstellar and TDK:R that have fewer scenes in this format)

And lucky for you (to answer your question) Dunkirk is almost entirely practical effects. The only genre of movie that typically has less CGI than Dunkirk are comedy movies.

TENET, the movie which we were discussing above is an hour longer than Dunkirk yet it has even less CGI. There's less CGI in tenet than the majority of comedy movies!

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (UHD)

This one was my favorite (in the Star Wars Franchise) when it came to PQ! Deep BLACKS...phenomenal DETAILS...strong CONTRAST...accurate FLESH TONES...vibrant COLORS...and last, but not least, excellent SPECULAR HIGHLIGHTS (courtesy of HDR). There were a few "soft shots" but they were "few and far between," thus the CLARITY was amazing in a majority of scenes. The blacks, on rare occasions, did turn a bit gray in low-lit scenes, but the space scenes were great as were all other dark scenes (and there were many). I was very impressed with the SHADOW DETAILS.

AQ-wise, this was a MONSTER, with appreciable LFE/bass and precision in all 9 channels in my surround system. And it should be noted this was Disney Plus so it only had Dolby Surround but my Denon's "upmix" did a fantastic job delivering sound to my Height (Atmos) Speakers. As usual, I had to crank this up to get the full effect (remember, this is a "Disney production"), so for most of the long running time I had it at -5.

My vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)

Reactions: Robbie Racer

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
A couple of animated UHDs that easily qualify for the top tier...

Superman: Man of Tomorrow UHD

recommendation: Tier 0 (.6)*

DC's direct-to-video animated line gets a reboot with an entirely new style of animation. Thicker line art and flat color shading akin to Archer's aesthetic looks great in Dolby Vision. There's definitely been more budget allocated for the animation itself than the many superhero flicks they've put out over the past few years. The HDR pass has some gorgeous color highlights, taking advantage of the expanded color palette. I'm very happy with the new animation style as a long-time fan.

The technically flawless animated material glows with vivid imagery, making an outstanding visual impact. The Blu-ray is flat and dull by comparison. I had a hard time sitting through the BD after first seeing the UHD.

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War UHD

recommendation: Tier 0 (.8)*

While Superman: Man of Tomorrow introduced a new animated continuity, JLD: Apokolips War was the final send-off for the animated DC continuity I've previously reviewed many times in this very thread. Animated in the now-familiar look that has been used for years, it's a slight step behind in PQ terms though still excellent. Perfect black levels and richly saturated primary colors leap off the screen in stark clarity.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sad news to report : my beloved LG C7 OLED has been suffering from burn-in from gaming (me) and the local morning news (wife) so I kicked it to the curb. It had the best PQ of any TV I’ve owned, but I refuse to baby a set and ultimately it didn’t hold up to our household viewing habits.

My new set is a Sony 65 inch X950H, their 4K flagship model that I picked up this week. I stepped up to a 65 from 55 and the extra real estate feels substantial! I’m still getting it dialed in and can’t wait to start whittling down my watch list and posting scores again (been holding off as the burn-in was distracting). I’ve got several UHDs on tap including The Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket and also 9 Hammer Horror Blu-rays. I’ve also got some film-noir titles from Warner Archive that should look amazing.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Getting a new display is always fun as you find out what it can and can't do. I refuse to play any games on my OLED given their known issues with burn-in on some models. I bought a second, cheaper set for that purpose.

Looking forward to your opinions on the Hammer Blu-rays.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
So sorry to read of your OLED's demise Darth! I have NEVER been a "gamer" so I don't have to worry about that but I am guilty of watching a lot of cable news at night so I'm hoping that doesn't result in burn-in. I also tend to PAUSE my display at times to run a quick errand and at times I find it's been paused for 20-25 minutes!! Again, I hope that doesn't result in burn-in.

Question: How old was your C7? I have heard that it takes quite awhile for burn-in to "rear its ugly head" and thus many members "think they're okay" and then one day they finally notice it.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I also tend to PAUSE my display at times to run a quick errand and at times I find it's been paused for 20-25 minutes!! Again, I hope that doesn't result in burn-in.
:oops::oops::oops: . It might. It might not, but it might!
Off-topic for this thread, but in my very humble opinion you absolutely, definitely, should get out of that habit! Don't just hope and be upset later that your beautiful, calibrated, TV needs a panel swap (and another calibration, and lots of waiting). Why take the risk, just follow the rule, "never leave it on a HDMI input unattended". On the other inputs you get the "fireworks" screensaver but for HDMI inputs you have to rely on the two types of dimming that some people turn off in the Service Menu which don't protect the TV that much.

It's easy to switch to an internal app as you leave the room (eg YouTube with nothing loaded) which will save the screen, or the Gallery app. Given that you can assign these things to a "Quick Access" button (long-press the numbers 1-0), there are no excuses for laziness! ;)

All IMHO.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
:oops::oops::oops: . It might. It might not, but it might!
Off-topic for this thread, but in my very humble opinion you absolutely, definitely, should get out of that habit! Don't just hope and be upset later that your beautiful, calibrated, TV needs a panel swap (and another calibration, and lots of waiting). Why take the risk, just follow the rule, "never leave it on a HDMI input unattended". On the other inputs you get the "fireworks" screensaver but for HDMI inputs you have to rely on the two types of dimming that some people turn off in the Service Menu which don't protect the TV that much.

It's easy to switch to an internal app as you leave the room (eg YouTube with nothing loaded) which will save the screen, or the Gallery app. Given that you can assign these things to a "Quick Access" button (long-press the numbers 1-0), there are no excuses for laziness! ;)

All IMHO.
So, what are the "two types of dimming" in the Service Menu? Chad did turn off ONE of the dimming features but he never said anything about turning off two types of dimming. Also, I have NEVER entered the Service Menu myself so I would not have done it.

I will be VERY CAREFUL from now on to only pause it for a minute or two. Thing is, I never really plan to be gone more than that and then TIME FLIES!

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I will be VERY CAREFUL from now on to only pause it for a minute or two. Thing is, I never really plan to be gone more than that and then TIME FLIES!
Hence my suggestions of changing the habit :). Instead of Pause, just do Pause + screensaver-button :).

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Hence my suggestions of changing the habit :). Instead of Pause, just do Pause + screensaver-button :).
I use my Harmony One remote for nearly everything. So where is the "screensaver button" on the LG Remote?

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I was just referring to what I wrote yesterday about the ability to assign apps (anything) to the numbered button on the LG remote. I wouldn't know if harmony have implemented everything including that sorry. Apologies for derailing the thread.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I was just referring to what I wrote yesterday about the ability to assign apps (anything) to the numbered button on the LG remote. I wouldn't know if harmony have implemented everything including that sorry. Apologies for derailing the thread.
I just assigned the "Gallery App" to "Quick Access" so I will be using that from now on when I pause the display for any length of time. Thanks for the tip!!

Now....back to our "Regular Scheduled Programming" :cool:

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
494 Posts
So sorry to read of your OLED's demise Darth! I have NEVER been a "gamer" so I don't have to worry about that but I am guilty of watching a lot of cable news at night so I'm hoping that doesn't result in burn-in. I also tend to PAUSE my display at times to run a quick errand and at times I find it's been paused for 20-25 minutes!! Again, I hope that doesn't result in burn-in.

Question: How old was your C7? I have heard that it takes quite awhile for burn-in to "rear its ugly head" and thus many members "think they're okay" and then one day they finally notice it.
Three years next month but first noticed the faint beginnings of burn-in at about 1.5 years; I hear the newer OLED models have more protections for burn-in.

26521 - 26540 of 26565 Posts