AVS Forum banner

26541 - 26560 of 26653 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Full Metal Jacket (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Nice upgrade from the BD. Sharp for the most part but there are some shots within scenes of lower resolution. Colors are nicely saturated and black levels strong.

Reactions: SnellTHX

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Three years next month but first noticed the faint beginnings of burn-in at about 1.5 years; I hear the newer OLED models have more protections for burn-in.
Yes, I believe the C8 has at least one protective feature against burn-in that the C7 didn't have.

Some of you may remember me getting burned (not "burned-in" :)) when my flagship Sony LCD/LED died, for it was out of warranty by almost a year. When I purchased my OLED from Best Buy I decided to do something I had never done...I also purchased their 5-year warranty plan (for nearly $1,000) and one of the main reasons I went with them on an extended warranty over others was because IT INCLUDES BURN-IN! If I get burn-in in the next three years (I've had it for two years) I will automatically get a new display from them, though I may have to pay extra money depending on the purchase price of the new one versus the purchase price on my C8.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
The Secret: Dare to Dream (1080p)

Just rented this from Redbox. The PQ was quite good; not "Reference Quality" but it definitely had a lot of "Demo Shots" in it that qualify for Tier Gold.

It had great DETAILS in facial close-ups, clothing, furniture, trees, foliage....you get the point. It also had striking DEPTH and CLARITY in many scenes, along with natural COLORS, accurate FLESH TONES, and decent BLACKS. The Gulf Coast (Louisiana) scenery was breathtaking in a few of the aerial shots.

Again, this should find its way into Tier Gold and I'm opting for....

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

·
Registered
505 Posts
Night Creatures (Captain Clegg) (Hammer/Universal)
recommendation: Tier 3.75*

Phantom of the Opera, The (Hammer/Universal)

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Paranoiac (Hammer/Universal)

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Nightmare (Hammer/Universal)

Horror of Dracula (Hammer/Warner Archive)

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

The Universal releases are all incorrectly framed at 2:1, but that's how they were released in the U.S. Don't let the low scores deter you from seeking these out, they are all endlessly entertaining especially the Dracula and Phantom titles.

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
505 Posts
Evil of Frankenstein, The (Hammer/Universal)

Brides of Dracula, The (Hammer/Universal)

recommendation: Tier 4.0*

Kiss of the Vampire, The (Hammer/Universal)

Curse of the Werewolf, The (Hammer/Universal)

recommendation: Tier 4.0*

Belko Experiment, The (Magnet)

recommendation: Tier 0* (0.75)

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Underwater (2020 - Fox- Disney)

Tier Recommendation: 2.0

How can a film shot in 6.5k with a 4k DI rank this low? Well, because it's an underwater movie. And the ocean is dark and muddy. However, even the better lit interiors have this color grading that gives the movie a muted color tone, aesthetically in line with the movie, but disappointing for those expecting some demo material. It come to my attention that this film was shot by the same cinematographer of A Cure For Wellness , which has some of the best PQ I've seen on a BD. That level of detail, clarity and crispiness is nowhere to be found here. Don't misunderstand me: this movie looks pretty good and I like its aesthetics; it works pretty well for its tone. But this is no Aquaman, and I don't mean it as criticism. This is a dark thriller.

There was some slight outcry this movie didn't get a 4k release. It deserved one, I think, but still I wouldn't expect it to be a showstopper.

The thing that IS demo worthy it's the audio, provided your sub can handle the 15-25hz region, where this movie has plenty of content. Mine can't, but there's still plenty of awesome stuff for "modest" subs. The overall audio is stellar.

I like this movie A LOT. This is my jam. 90 minutes of no-nonsense, straight to the point good action and suspense. But then again, I also loved The Cloverfield Paradox :p

Yes, I'm alive. Life has gotten in the way, and I don't have as much energy to rank movies (or even watch them!) but here I am. Glad to see everyone is alright and see the thread alive.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

How can a film shot in 6.5k with a 4k DI rank this low? Well, because it's an underwater movie. And the ocean is dark and muddy. However, even the better lit interiors have this color grading that gives the movie a muted color tone, aesthetically in line with the movie, but disappointing for those expecting some demo material. It come to my attention that this film was shot by the same cinematographer of A Cure For Wellness , which has some of the best PQ I've seen on a BD. That level of detail, clarity and crispiness is nowhere to be found here. Don't misunderstand me: this movie looks pretty good and I like its aesthetics; it works pretty well for its tone. But this is no Aquaman, and I don't mean it as criticism. This is a dark thriller.

There was some slight outcry this movie didn't get a 4k release. It deserved one, I think, but still I wouldn't expect it to be a showstopper.

The thing that IS demo worthy it's the audio, provided your sub can handle the 15-25hz region, where this movie has plenty of content. Mine can't, but there's still plenty of awesome stuff for "modest" subs. The overall audio is stellar.

I like this movie A LOT. This is my jam. 90 minutes of no-nonsense, straight to the point good action and suspense. But then again, I also loved The Cloverfield Paradox :p

Yes, I'm alive. Life has gotten in the way, and I don't have as much energy to rank movies (or even watch them!) but here I am. Glad to see everyone is alright and see the thread alive.

Always enjoyed KS movies, except Twilight. Just got a new SVS 12" sub; will give this a test run. Thanks.

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Always enjoyed KS movies, except Twilight. Just got a new SVS 12" sub; will give this a test run. Thanks.
An SVS 12" sub will easily drop to below 20 Hz...at times close to 16 Hz, especially if you purchased a PORTED sub. I have dual SVS 12" and with the right content it feels like you're in L.A. and the BIG ONE is hitting!:cool: Enjoy the movie and report back on both the PQ and AQ.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
An SVS 12" sub will easily drop to below 20 Hz...at times close to 16 Hz, especially if you purchased a PORTED sub. I have dual SVS 12" and with the right content it feels like you're in L.A. and the BIG ONE is hitting!:cool: Enjoy the movie and report back on both the PQ and AQ.
Mine is shielded but I did try the RSL 10s but returned it. I'm happier with the SVS in my case, 12" vs. 10". However, the physical dimension is actually smaller.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Mine is shielded but I did try the RSL 10s but returned it. I'm happier with the SVS in my case, 12" vs. 10". However, the physical dimension is actually smaller.
I'm not sure what you mean by "shielded." Regarding the "physical dimension being smaller" in the SVS, that is only one factor that will determine bass extension and overall output. If you read the current reviews on SVS's new "SB-2000 Pro" you will see that the bass extension and output defies its physical dimensions. Audio experts simply can't believe how deep the bass goes and how the output covers a very large area. The "components" used, especially a more powerful 550-watt RMS (1,500 watt peak) class-D amplifier along with a new longer-excursion 12-inch driver, are two of the main factors that defy its small footprint. And this is a "sealed sub" which characteristically won't go as low as a ported sub.

By the way, which 12" sub did you get?

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Ava (1080p)

This movie had too much "gratuitous violence and language" for me (so I was hitting the FASTFORWARD and MUTE buttons at times), but the PQ was quite stunning.

The CLARITY and DETAILS were the most prominent virtues, along with PUNCHY COLORS, accurate FLESHTONES, and appreciable DEPTH. BLACKS/SHADOW DETAILS were also very pleasing to the eyes! If not for the movie content I would buy this and use it at times for showing off the merits of High Definition. Of course I would get the UHD version IF that were possible.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)

PS The audio was also topnotch!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "shielded." Regarding the "physical dimension being smaller" in the SVS, that is only one factor that will determine bass extension and overall output. If you read the current reviews on SVS's new "SB-2000 Pro" you will see that the bass extension and output defies its physical dimensions. Audio experts simply can't believe how deep the bass goes and how the output covers a very large area. The "components" used, especially a more powerful 550-watt RMS (1,500 watt peak) class-D amplifier along with a new longer-excursion 12-inch driver, are two of the main factors that defy its small footprint. And this is a "sealed sub" which characteristically won't go as low as a ported sub.

By the way, which 12" sub did you get?
Sorry. I mean sealed (got Nvidia Shield TV Pro on my mind). It is an open box SB-12 NSD. The RSL 10" took too much space in my room. For the same price, I opted for the SVS, though it's very boring looking but wife approved.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Sorry. I mean sealed (got Nvidia Shield TV Pro on my mind). It is an open box SB-12 NSD. The RSL 10" took too much space in my room. For the same price, I opted for the SVS, though it's very boring looking but wife approved.
Got it!

When I was researching subs years ago what really caught my eye when learning about SVS subs were the CYLINDER subs. They have a very SMALL FOOTPRINT and usually they meet the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) easily for that reason and for their looks (though some people may hate them). Of course, they will also meet the CAF (CAT Acceptance Factor) and may be ruined as your cat(s) uses it to climb and scratch! As you can see in my Signature I have two SVS cylinder subs and I love them. They are not only excellent for MOVIES but also for MUSIC...nice and TIGHT bass with amazing PRECISION.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Got it!

When I was researching subs years ago what really caught my eye when learning about SVS subs were the CYLINDER subs. They have a very SMALL FOOTPRINT and usually they meet the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) easily for that reason and for their looks (though some people may hate them). Of course, they will also meet the CAF (CAT Acceptance Factor) and may be ruined as your cat(s) uses it to climb and scratch! As you can see in my Signature I have two SVS cylinder subs and I love them. They are not only excellent for MOVIES but also for MUSIC...nice and TIGHT bass with amazing PRECISION>
CAT is equally important, if not more important. I finally updated my thumbnail. Next will be my signature when my front speakers arrive next month, after a 12 week "pregnancy" during our downsizing.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Black Panther (UHD)

It's late so I'm just going to say it like it is and go to bed. This is STUNNING!!

I had rented the 1080p blu-ray before and was very impressed with the PQ but with HDR it blows that version out of the water. COLORS are insanely vibrant; DETAILS are mesmerizing; CONTRAST is out of this world, including DEEP BLACKS; and DEPTH is so very close to 3D in many scenes.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.1)

PS I just checked and I had given the 1080p version a ranking of Tier 0 (.33).

Reactions: Robbie Racer

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

How can a film shot in 6.5k with a 4k DI rank this low? Well, because it's an underwater movie. And the ocean is dark and muddy.
I noticed that too lol... getting the ocean right is really, really difficult. I read somewhere that this is why Avatar 2/3 are taking so long because Cameron, the perfectionist that he is didn't feel modern super computers could render fluid dynamics / wave simulation / wet condition adequately. Now 11 years later the computer tech is starting to get advanced enough for him to film most of the upcoming movies under water.

When I reviewed Aquaman one of my complaints was that the underwater scenes did hold a candle to the above water scenes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Get Out (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.9)

Us (UHD)

It (UHD)

It Chapter Two (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 0* (0.8)
The opening night scene at the carnival/fair is demo material for Dolby Vision, just stunning.

Reactions: Robbie Racer

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Hmm is that the highest rating you have given a Marvel movie?
I can't recall, but I was so blown away by the PQ that it deserves to be the highest rated Marvel release.

I just checked out your review of this (from two years ago) and you gave it a Tier 0 (.5). From your flowery praise and zero negatives, I thought you would at least give it a .25. Here is your review:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I noticed that too lol... getting the ocean right is really, really difficult. I read somewhere that this is why Avatar 2/3 are taking so long because Cameron, the perfectionist that he is didn't feel modern super computers could render fluid dynamics / wave simulation / wet condition adequately. Now 11 years later the computer tech is starting to get advanced enough for him to film most of the upcoming movies under water.

When I reviewed Aquaman one of my complaints was that the underwater scenes did hold a candle to the above water scenes.
James Cameron knows the ocean,, so I'd be interested to see what's he's going for. I wouldn't expect the depths of the ocean to look that much different from that of the UNDERWATER scenes. Aquaman is live action comic book, so I give it some slack, but the ocean is something nasty. I don't know how much pristine PQ you can get down there.

26541 - 26560 of 26653 Posts