Get Out (UHD)
recommendation: Tier 0* (0.9)

Us (UHD)

It (UHD)

It Chapter Two (UHD)

recommendation: Tier 0* (0.8)
The opening night scene at the carnival/fair is demo material for Dolby Vision, just stunning.
I remember that carnival scene quite well in It Chapter Two. Agreed it's one spectacular showcase for HDR material.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Child’s Play (1988)
recommendation: Tier 3.0*

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Mummy’s Hand

The Mummy’s Tomb

The Mummy’s Ghost

The Mummy’s Curse

American Werewolf in London, An (Arrow)

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

Reactions: Phantom Stranger

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Darth for all of your Blu-ray viewing and ranking of titles! I must say, "I sure wish I had the 'leisure time' that you apparently have!" Good for you!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
^^
I do what I can 😁

Them!
recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy

recommendation: Tier 3.25*

Jaws 2

Jaws 3

recommendation: Tier 4.5*
Poor clarity throughout and chunky grain really hinder this film. Most of the underwater 3D effects like a severed arm and diver submersible are barely watchable.

Jaws: The Revenge

·
Registered
500 Posts
Tarantula (Shout Factory)
recommendation: Tier 4.0*

Le Petit Soldat (Criterion)

recommendation: Tier 4.0*

Beetlejuice (UHD)

Goonies, The (UHD)

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
Anyone here watch the 4k Lawrence of Arabia discs?
I am "patiently" waiting for its release. There is NO WAY I'm going to buy the "Columbia Classics Set" when I could care less about 3 or 4 of the movies included in that set.

Tomorrow I will be receiving my 4K/UHD "Back to the Future Ultimate Trilogy" set and needless to say, I'm very excited! I don't even own a copy of any of the previous releases so it's about time I get these and this will be the "Ultimate Set.":cool:

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
Back to the Future (UHD)

I went into this expecting the PQ to land this release in Tier Gold and that's exactly where it belongs! It did show its age at times, with SOFTNESS resulting in a LACK OF DETAILS and DEPTH, but overall I was thoroughly impressed with the CLARITY, DETAILS, COLORS and BLACK LEVELS. If you're a fan of this Franchise it may never look better and you WILL be satisfied. Though it does merit this coveted tier, its less-than-stellar moments must, of necessity, bring it down to the bottom.

AQ-wise, the Dolby Atmos mix was impressive in a few scenes, but the majority of the film was focused on the front stage.

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*

·
Registered
687 Posts
Back to the Future (UHD)

I went into this expecting the PQ to land this release in Tier Gold and that's exactly where it belongs! It did show its age at times, with SOFTNESS resulting in a LACK OF DETAILS and DEPTH, but overall I was thoroughly impressed with the CLARITY, DETAILS, COLORS and BLACK LEVELS. If you're a fan of this Franchise it may never look better and you WILL be satisfied. Though it does merit this coveted tier, its less-than-stellar moments must, of necessity, bring it down to the bottom.

AQ-wise, the Dolby Atmos mix was impressive in a few scenes, but the majority of the film was focused on the front stage.

I was waiting for your review. I'll put the set on my wishlist. Thanks Denny!

Reactions: djoberg

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
I was waiting for your review. I'll put the set on my wishlist. Thanks Denny!
Hey Tim,

I should mention that at least one "highly respected reviewer" (from Do.Blu.com....not Phantom:)) was quite critical of the PQ and gave it a low "3 Star rating." Every other review echoes my sentiments and some go beyond what I wrote and feel it is "Reference Quality." I will stand by my review though for the reasons stated. I will look forward to hearing your take on it so be sure to "chime in" after viewing it.

Denny

Reactions: fredxr2d2

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
Back to the Future 2 (UHD)

A definite improvement over the first installment. No softness or lack of details and depth...and better clarity, details, colors and black levels. The AQ was also better. The only downside...the movie sucks in comparison. I had never seen this before and I may never see it again. Having said that, I have seen Back to the Future 3 and it is very good, but I'm pumped to see the UHD version which I'm expecting to have an even greater uptick in resolution.

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS I almost went with Tier 0 (.9). There were many "Reference Quality" shots!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Set-Up, The (Warner Archive)

Gun Crazy (Warner Archive)

Day the Earth Caught Fire, The (Kino Lorber)

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Daughters of Darkness 4K UHD

Blue Underground's new limited edition may be expensive but the beautiful film transfer they've struck is well worth the price of admission. This is an incredible 4K scan of the original, long-lost camera negative with a full Dolby Vision HDR pass! Having owned the older Blu-ray, I've never seen such an improvement in picture quality going from 1080P to 2160P resolution. Marvelous fine detail in the largely unprocessed film scan and a truly faithful presentation that duly captures every pixel possible with maximum color fidelity.

The 1971 vampire thriller has never looked this good. If not for a few minor inconsistencies in the original cinematography, I would have felt no guilt placing this UHD in Tier Zero.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Back to the Future (UHD)

Back To The Future 4K UHD

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

I'm in full agreement with Denny on this fine transfer and 4K presentation from Universal. There's nothing visibly untoward in the film scan's processing, producing a fine image harvest with excellent detail. Back To The Future looks very good on UHD. It's a film-like transfer with proper saturation and accurate color tonality.

Without knowing insider details on this particular release, I suspect some very sophisticated grain management tools have been applied. Which doesn't matter all that much at the end of the day, as the superb PQ results speak for themselves. This is a satisfying UHD purchase, though it's not quite up there with the best of the best on the format.

Don't take this relatively low score as a condemnation, it's merely a reflection of the movie's inherent limitations. The presentation consistently delivers a wonderfully pleasing contrast with rich, warm colors.

Back To The Future happens to be one of my most memorable theater-going experiences and I vividly remember seeing it for the first time all those years ago. This is the first time watching the movie on home video that I feel the presentation nearly matches those visual memories.

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
Back to the Future 3 (UHD)

PQ-wise, they "saved the best for last." Having said that, it started out a "mixed bag" with sporadic "soft shots" resulting in poor resolution and a lack of details and depth. I also detected some "noise" in a couple of those scenes. Other scenes were very good, though not "reference quality." Then at about one-third way into the film the PQ really "came alive" with unbelievable SHARPNESS, exemplary DETAILS, inky BLACKS, and incredible DEPTH. It was "Reference Quality" all the way to the end! Colors were pretty good, though there was a fair amount of "color-grading" (orange hues).

This is a hard one to call. If the whole film was like the second half, I'd easily nominate this for the middle of Tier 0, but when putting everything on the scales, I figure it was about the same as BttF2. So my vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.9)

PS I simply couldn't resist going a tad higher due to the EYE CANDY in the last half to two-thirds!

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
is the Tier List still being updated?...I took a look at it and it has Toy Story 3 on top...is there a separate 4K Tier list on AVS?

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I've been thinking about your question the past day. I probably should have done this earlier but I sincerely thought I'd get more free time at some point.

As of now, there is no separate 4K UHD list. Maybe that needs to change. That seems to be where all the energy is these days reviewing discs.

Most UHDs from newer productions land in Tier 0 with older movies usually ending up in Tier 1. Tier 0 is updated through early January 2019. There have obviously been many UHD placements made in the thread over the past two years that aren't reflected in the current list.

If someone else would like to take over my duties running the PQ Tiers and regularly updating the list, I'm open to passing the baton. I'd do this myself but other priorities currently take precedence, unfortunately. I'm not leaving the thread by any means but updates may have to be made by others.

I think all of us here want a smoothly functioning PQ Tiers that remains in operation.

26561 - 26580 of 26588 Posts