AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading everyones responses on how to build my home theater (see post : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=199243 ) I think I know how I want to do this.

I looked at the Panasonic 75U, the AE300, the AE200, the Infocus X1, and the infocus 730LP as everyone suggested.

It didn't seem like the 730LP was readily available anywhere, so I crossed it off my list.

The X1 is 800X600, so I crossed it off my list too. (some games are just no good at less than 1024X768).

The AE200 is also too low a resolution.

The AE300 seems like a really cool machine for movies, and may do a fine job at emulating XGA, but after some thought it occurred to me that I may need to take the projector down off the ceiling and use it for a business presentation somewhere, so I really needed to stick to a projector that can render text at 1024X768 natively.

I think I'm going with the Panasonic 75U. I found it on a website for $1950, and with a little hunting I may find it for a little less. If I'm not happy with the DVD images I will set up a PC in that room and install my Creative labs Dxr3 DVD decoder card. It does a phenomenal job of displaying DVD's on my PC at any resolution from 640X480 to 1600X1200. I would think it would look great on the 75U at 1024X768. Letterbox does not bother me. This gives me the added benefit of being able to play games without hooking up any extra wires.

I have seen the acronym HTPC on this board a few times, is this what it refers to?

Since I may need to occasionally take the projector down and on the road, I think I'll have the carpenters build a shelf that hangs from the ceiling instead of buying a mount and pipe. I plan to use a hanging ceiling, so It'll be a cinch to hide all my HT and network wires.

I want a DaLite wall mounted grey screen. It sounds like the 75U projects black as a grey color, and that will bug me. I think I'll go look at the Parkland sheet at first and see how it does. If it only costs $35 and it works, I'll have a carpenter build a nice frame for it and mount it. If I'm not happy, I can still buy the DALITE for $400 and I've only lost $35. If the sheet looks good but black shows up a little grey, I can probably try some of the grey paints I've seen posted.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i saw the 75 matched against several different pj's. it's a strong pj. i liked it better than the m20x and the ae100. but whatta i know...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.