AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
My center channel arrived this past Friday. I stopped by Radio Shack to get me a SPL meter. Got the Avia disc shipped from Blockbuster online, and ready to calibrate my new speakers.

I tried to calibrate my speakers with test tones built into the HD-DVD player, but that didn't work. See my struggle here .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Cnick,

How is that CSR center???? I picked up a pair of R50's that are really cranking with my R15's surround...I think the CSR will complete my system, what are you running that with?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchill /forum/post/12580448

Hey Cnick,

How is that CSR center???? I picked up a pair of R50's that are really cranking with my R15's surround...I think the CSR will complete my system, what are you running that with?

Well this is the only other center channel I've owned, besides the one in my 7+ year old Sony HTIB. So of cource it's a major upgrade in my eyes. Sounds great and blends well with the R50's, IMO. My whole speaker setup is a great budget friendly setup (around $350 total). Great performance for the price! I just need add a new AV Receiver, looking at the Onkyo 705, to finish the audio upgrades. My current receiver I'm running is the one included in the above mentioned HTIB. Hope this answers your question!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
 Precision Gear Projector Mount

Kind of pricey, but seems to have very convenient features. What the hell, how many mounts will I have to buy? One really good one should last. Love the Precision gears, set the projector and you're done. Locks into place, preserving alignment. Even when taking the projector down for maintenance. Found it @ Projector People for $190 shipped. I'll be ordering the black one at the end of the month, still recouping from Xmas

If any one has a better suggestion, please feel free to post them. I only ask that it has these 2 features at the minimum:

A feature were I don't have to reset my projector everytime I take it down.

A quick release feature.

Good deal here

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Well today I decided to get this out of the way. Went to home depot purchased my supplies. I confirmed everything I've read on the internet about adding a power outlet. Hey took me through it step by step. It was a piece of cake! Way easier than I expected. The hardest part was getting into my attic to fish the wiring. All the damn AC vent tubes I had to squeeze inbetween. Well I got it done, and the house is still in one piece
Got some info from this site http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

The tools needed for the job

Before (I removed the ceiling fan and put the original light fixture back. Moving the fan to my bedroom)

The obstical in my attic. I had to get in the back of this.

My hole for the outlet box. I used a utility knife and a flathead screwdriver to chisel out this hole!

This is the fishing wire used to pull the Romex cable to my light.

The light box I need to get my Romex wire to. The circle on the inside right, I punched out to fish the wire through.

After punching the whole in the light box, then fishing the tape through that whole, then going into the attic to place that tape through the hole I cut out for the outlet box, then attaching the Romex wire to the fish tape and pulling it through....... this is the outcome.

Then after connecting the wires and tighening the screws, we have this....

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Proof that it works

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
great pics, i hope you're wearing a mask when up in that attic!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/13013841

great pics, i hope you're wearing a mask when up in that attic!

Well I didn't. I was only up there for maybe 10 minutes. Should I head for the ER?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Yesterday I purchased a Onkyo 604B HDMI 1.2a AV Receiver from a member of AVSforum. The price was too good for me to pass.

I know it's crazy, with all the HDMI 1.3 and HBR audio. Well I don't have a HDMI 1.3 player, so 5.1 PCM is just fine for me. At the price of this used player. According to UPS it should be here on Monday.

I've demo'd one before, but returned it because of the HBR & HDMI 1.3 hype at the time. Good thing cause this used one is considerably cheaper! Man I love AVSforum

My mount and 25ft VGA/Component cable should be in today or Friday so I can hang my projector.

UPDATE: Oh, I didn't get the above mentioned mount.(Peerless) I got the $17 mount from monoprice, in black. I'll invest in the Peerless when I upgrade my projector. Maybe

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider /forum/post/13050926

I thought you had the Yamaha 661?

LOL. I did, times got hard and I chose to sell it off. Again wanting to get an HDMI 1.3, man do I regret that. I did get what I paid for it when I sold it.

That's one of the bad things about this site, it makes me feel like I have to upgrade to the new thing!
I'm getting over that, for one because it's too expensive.

I'm going to stick with this 604 for a while, unless I hit the Lottery.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
 Link to Monoprice Mount I used

Well last night I ceiling mounted my projector. Also I got my Onkyo 604 installed the day before, what an audio upgrade. More tweak options than my prehistoric AVR, this was money well spent. I still need to figure how I'm going to snake/run my cables to my projector. Right now there taped to the ceiling.

I mounted the projector almost as close as the lense would let me. I gave myself a little breathing room. This helps with the brightness. Am I crazy, but does it improve black levels? It seems that more can be seen in the dark area's of the picture. I didn't change any of my settings, I just ceiling mounted it! Well I'm happy with this budget setup I got going over here.

The mount used was the black version of the $17 Monoprice mount. Works just fine. It doesn't lean forward from the weight of the projector, like some have complained about. That's because I tightened the screw that's going through the ball joint thing that allows you to tilt and rotate the projector. I used my needle nose pliers and wire stripper that has plier like tips. I used one to hold the screw at the bottom, while I tightened the nut at the top of the assembly. Problem solved. I had to do this before putting it up, it's harder to do when mounted. All and all I'm happy with the $17 mount. As I wanted a $150 mount before hand, what a great value. I still have a few more task:
  1. Buy and hang blackout curtains.
  2. Paint Room
  3. Buy and install some sort of audio rack
  4. Hide cables going to the projector somehow.
  5. Buy my seating!
  6. Buy some sort of power conditioner
  7. Buy new speaker wire (now using the grey 18g that came with HTIB)

Will post some pics later tonight. Around 8:30pm Central time.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Projector is unplugged when not in use, until my surge protector arrives from Amazon. I ordered one for my projector and one for my subwoofer. Right now both are plugged into the wall outlets, with no protection. Risky business

This one 4 the projector
This one 4 my Sub

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Would it be too much distance between my fronts and my center if I mounted it above my screen?

Also my center has a rear port, should I find a mount that would leave more space behind the speaker?

This is the mount I am looking at. The 44 lbs one

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Well I went into Walmart for a few small items, the their they was. Blackout curtains at the end of one of the isles. They were $22 a pop. I had to buy 4 for the 2 single window and my double window. Then I had to buy curtain rods, which were $14 a pop. Damn, the cost we pay for luxury. Well I'm about to get some paint on the walls and then I'll hang my curtains.

Will post pics soon, as always.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I painted my screen wall black this weekend. I also added blackout curtains, to help with the daytime viewings. After the effect this paint had on getting the room darker, I may paint the whole room black. Here are a few photo's

Before

After (I need to finish touching up the edges)

·
Registered
55 Posts
its looking great man very nice.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Welcome into the family, Toshiba A35. He's moving into RCA's room, and RCA is moving into the family room.

Got this from Fry's @ $150. Figured I'd upgrade for that price. Beside's my wife likes watching movies in the family room. So now she has a HD-DVD player too! Everyone is happy. I also got Beowolf & Dreamgirls on HD-DVD for 14.99 a piece from Hollywood video. I had just bought Beowolf brand new from Fry's, it's going back today.

Now I'll be ready for 1080p 24fps on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

PS. I had to change my signiture. I'm tired of hearing about Blu-ray being the consumers choice. Well news flash, It wasn't!

"Blu-ray. The studio's choice, not the consumers."

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickersonjr /forum/post/13096969

Link to Monoprice Mount I used

The mount used was the black version of the $17 Monoprice mount. Works just fine. It doesn't lean forward from the weight of the projector, like some have complained about. That's because I tightened the screw that's going through the ball joint thing that allows you to tilt and rotate the projector. I used my needle nose pliers and wire stripper that has plier like tips. I used one to hold the screw at the bottom, while I tightened the nut at the top of the assembly. Problem solved. I had to do this before putting it up, it's harder to do when mounted. All and all I'm happy with the $17 mount. As I wanted a $150 mount before hand, what a great value. I still have a few more task:

Well I spoke too soon. It seems that the mount keeps moving after all. I have to adjust the pitch, so that my projector points down a bit. And I'm using the longer extention pole that comes with this mount! Well I did this, but minutes later it slowly starts to move up. So now I have about 2-3 inches of blank space were the light isn't hitting my screen. I found the above mentioned $150 mount for $89. So I'm going to order it. The convenience of this mount should come in handy in the future. It's the Peerless PRG-UNV black.

I know what some may say, "Move the screen up" I have the screen at a comfortable height, and that won't be an option.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts