AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Co-created by writer/director Steve Zaillian (Schindler's List, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and author Richard Price (Clockers, Lush Life), and based on the British drama Criminal Justice, The Night Of is a classic slow-burn murder mystery which is getting excellent reviews...some are comparing it to Season 1 of True Detective and even The Wire...the plot follows Nasir "Naz" Khan (Riz Ahmed), a Muslim college student who lives with his parents in Jackson Heights, Queens...on the fateful night, he takes his father's cab without permission in order to attend a party, gets lost, and reluctantly ends up with a female passenger named Andrea after she jumps into the car and ignores his protests about being off-duty...long story short- she ends up brutally murdered and Naz is the main suspect

the show is getting praised for everything from its gritty NYC setting, excellent cast and edge of your seat storytelling...anchoring the show is John Turturro as attorney John Stone, who represents Naz...it's a role that was initially inhabited by James Gandolfini in the show's original 2013 pilot before his untimely death...

The Night Of premieres Sunday at 9/8c on HBO...it's an 8 part miniseries

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
I watched Episode 1 and liked it well enough to convince me to stick around for a while. I had to suspend belief big time to swallow that a very bright college student could get himself into so much trouble in such a short time. Still, the performances are terrific, particularly Riz Ahmed, as Naz the exceedingly unlucky college kid, Bill Camp, as a tired NYPD detective, and John Turturro, as an equally tired defense lawyer. I am also encouraged by the uniformly favorable reviews the show has received. Time will tell, I guess.

Reactions: JoeTiVo

·
Registered
292 Posts
I watched Episode 1 and liked it well enough to convince me to stick around for a while. I had to suspend belief big time to swallow that a very bright college student could get himself into so much trouble in such a short time. Still, the performances are terrific, particularly Riz Ahmed, as Naz the exceedingly unlucky college kid, Bill Camp, as a tired NYPD detective, and John Turturro, as an equally tired defense lawyer. I am also encouraged by the uniformly favorable reviews the show has received. Time will tell, I guess.
I thought it was well done. I don't have a problem with how he got himself into trouble just that he kept on digging. Also, he was smart/dumb enough to try to cover his perceived tracks then completely oblivious to the need to keep his trap shut until he talked to a lawyer or even ask for one. I have a prediction:

Unless they bury the evidence, the knife wound on the back of her hand will be what gets him off. It's not defensive. There is a mark on the table with her blood that will match. That will make much of the rest of his story plausible. The blood on him, the blood on the stair railing, etc.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Yes, good series potential. Based on a BBC series and from IMDB, which lacks any tech details so far, looks like mostly British production. Couldn't help but recall while watcing, as the protagonist seems to slowly slip down a drain, of a recent article about actual, not fictional, lives routinely ruined--in the thousands--by miscarriages of justice. The NY Times piece, "How a $2 Roadside Drug Test Sends Innocent People to Jail," is sprinkled with lots of alarming data. It deals with how the drug test messed up one woman's life., while outlining the bigger picture. Hope someone makes a movie of it, too. -- John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, good series potential. Based on a BBC series and from IMBD, which lacks any tech details so far, looks like mostly British production. Couldn't help but recall while watcing, as the protagonist seems to slowly slip down a drain, of a recent article about actual, not fictional, lives routinely ruined--in the thousands--by miscarriages of justice. The NY Times piece, "How a $2 Roadside Drug Test Sends Innocent People to Jail," is sprinkled with lots of alarming data. It deals with how the drug test messed up one woman's life., while outlining the bigger picture. Hope someone makes a movie of it, too. -- John
I don't see anything resembling a miscarriage of justice up to this point. Naz is in his precarious predicament largely due to his own actions and the preliminary evidence against him is pretty strong. Heck, that might be an understatement.

The biggest mistake he made was not calling the police the moment he turned on the light in her room. Followed by breaking back into the brownstone and taking the knife knife on the way out. It looked like it wasn't moved prior to that and probably isn't the murder weapon.

·
Registered
292 Posts
^^^Yup, didn't write it was. Could be, but not so far. The $2 field test is though. -- John

Yeah, just talking. Sounds like they may have some chain of evidence issues too. We'll see where it goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't check IMDB for the series. I knew I recognized the actor playing his father and couldn't remember from where (The Separation), but in checking I saw that certain characters only appear in a certain number of the episodes, which was a bit of a spoiler for me.

The tension was great for both my wife and myself watching. We foolishly watched on demand a week early though, so it's going to be rough waiting for that second ep unless they add that to HBO OD early as well...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I see that James Gandolfini was associated with this as executive producer. A search reveals that he was going to play the lawyer John Stone, now played by John Turturro.

http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-entertainment/rohan-james-gandolfini-s-passion-project-comes-to-hbo-1.1627986
I saw that during the opening (or possibly then end) credit and wondered if anyone has had his/her name associated so many properties post-mortem. Then I thought I might be a victim of the Mandela Effect.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I don't think being a book smart college student means you are smart in everything else in life, especially when in this circumstance. Knowing a physics formula doesn't mean he knows women, what to do if you wake up next to a dead person, etc. etc.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
The plumpish middle-aged neighbor murdered the young woman. For some reason they briefly zoomed in to a dark mark on his right hand doing the night-time initial investigation. Don't know how he got into her apartment--maybe he's a locksmith. -- John

1 - 20 of 288 Posts