AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an absolutely magnificent set!

Not only is this film finally in its OAR of 1.66:1, with a gorgeous film-like grain-filled transfer with absolutely no DNR or EE, it has a myriad of special features.

I would have raved about this Blu-ray if there was only one disk, but the second disk contains one of the best extras I've ever seen....a 2 1/2 hour documentary called "Charles Laughton Directs 'The Night of the Hunter", a behind the scenes look at the making of the film, culled from 8 hours of footage. Absolutely fabulous!

If you are a fan of this classic film, buy it immediately.

If you aren't familiar with this film, buy it immediately!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I was on the fence about Night of the Hunter as I had the inexpensive (and quite respectable) MGM DVD, but the extras really sold me on the Blu-ray. This issue ought to make this superb film a lot of new friends.

...and as of this point in time you have about 30 hours to get it for half off its $49.99 price at the B&N Criterion sale.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I got mine today from B&N. I'm really looking forward to watching it, this is a great movie.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is my favorite BD that Criterion's released so far. Having the film in the original OAR is a revelation, and the transfer is GORGEOUS. I haven't even perused the extras yet, so I've got a treat in store for me.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
B&N has shipped all of my Criterion purchases... except for Night of the Hunter. Here's hoping that it doesn't get cancelled because they're out of stock or something.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are a student of directing, acting and filmmaking, the Laughton Directs feature is mesmerizing. It's like being on the set sitting beside Laughton as he gives direction for virtually the entire movie. The most fascinating extra I've ever seen on any movie release ever. Some might find it dull. I, for one, was engrossed.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore /forum/post/19521650

If you are a student of directing, acting and filmmaking, the Laughton Directs feature is mesmerizing. It's like being on the set sitting beside Laughton as he gives direction for virtually the entire movie. The most fascinating extra I've ever seen on any movie release ever. Some might find it dull. I, for one, was engrossed.

Thank you, in advance, for killing a couple hours of my studying for finals today...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the B&N sale. I was able to pick up a copy yesterday. One of my favorite movies but had hesitated at the $50 price tag.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
They never sent me an email about the order, but apparently, Night of the Hunter will still be shipping to me from Barnes and Noble. Just not until December 9th. Ah well, at least I got it at a good price and it'll show up eventually.

Breathless, Paths of Glory and The Magician all showed up today.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Saw this last week, very sinister and creepy in a lot of ways, but enjoyed the film.

for those on the fence you can't beat 50% off at B&N

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin howarth
Saw this last week, very sinister and creepy in a lot of ways, but enjoyed the film.

for those on the fence you can't beat 50% off at B&N
The sale is over, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
As usual, late to the game on this one.

With the universal raves about this film, I guess I should pick this up.

I don't remember ever seeing it.

And as has been said elsewhere, there's nothing else out right now that's got my interest.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I foolishly did not order it during the B & N sale; and it is a favorite of mine. Ended up getting it from Amazon for $24.95 during a mini-Criterion sale. I have only watched portions of it (looks great). The wife has wanted to watch so much Christmas-type stuff that this dark film has not made it to the schedule yet. I am really looking forward to the documentary.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Brumaire /forum/post/19741512

The wife has wanted to watch so much Christmas-type stuff that this dark film has not made it to the schedule yet. I am really looking forward to the documentary.

One could say that The Night of the Hunter actually is a Christmas movie of sorts, since a Christmas celebration forms an important part of the plot arc.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid /forum/post/19741846

One could say that The Night of the Hunter actually is a Christmas movie of sorts, since a Christmas celebration forms an important part of the plot arc.

I love unintentional Christmas films. I just Netflixed a terrific new Ellen Burstyn/Martin Landau film called LOVELY, STILL that was partially set during Christmas. Didn't have much to do with the plot, but I enjoyed that. You can only watch CHRISTMAS VACATION so many times per year...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 /forum/post/19742419

You can only watch CHRISTMAS VACATION so many times per year...

That's why God invented Die Hard - I can't watch that too many times.

I guess I really do like all the true Christmas classics that have withstood the test of time, although it's nice to see relatively new things in the mix like Elf and Bad Santa. Excellent accepted "alt-Christmas" movies like Gremlins and Die Hard make up an interesting sub-genre, and I suppose things like The Night of the Hunter and Eyes Wide Shut can sneak in there under the same auspices even though they have seldom been publicly recognized as such.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Watched this film for the first time last night. My mom let me borrow it, and simply said to watch it. I'd been holding on to it for a while, and last night was the night apparently.

I can't say enough about this movie and how amazing it was. There are good movies, there are very good movies, there are cinematic experiences, and then there are movies that make you want to learn more about the movie, it's actors, the director, the visual style, and a million other things that go through your mind during and after. This was definitely one of those for me. I can't wait to own this movie for myself, and jump into the experience again and peruse the special features. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts