AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might want to consider a rental before purchase on this one. PQ is very average. Very little detail throughout most of the film. Sound is good, but PQ was a let down for me. Transfer is clean, but that's about the only compliment I can give it. It seemed towards the end, sharpness picked up, but overall not a consistant picture.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Agreed on the PQ. There are certain shots where the lighting is just right though and the quality is good. I did just see a Tier 1 title before this one and so it looked soft and faded compared. Incidentally, the AVC encode seems to hover around 36Mbps throughout.

Still, it does pick up a bit once you get used to the faded color scheme. One of my faves so the purchase, specially with a day-1 price of under $14, was a no brainer.

AQ was okay. Probably the weakest 7.1 I've experienced from Lion's Gate. I will say - there were a few scenes that broke the silence.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i personally thought that this was one of the worst looking blu ray movies i have watched...well, at least during some of the darker scenes. the well lit scenes looked a little faded but still decent, but i was definitely able to notice some blue distortion (noise?) at the top and bottom of the picture during the darkest scenes.

also, i only wanted to watch a short movie last night because i had to get to bed early and the back of the packaging has a misprint regarding the length of the movie. it says the movie is only 93 minutes, but it took over 2 hours. i then checked my regular dvd copy and it said 133 minutes.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
To bad, it's one of my favs.

How does PQ compare to the DVD ?

If it's about the same then I'll skip this BD for the time being ?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
One of my favorite movies, I might have to pick this one up regardless.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
just to let you know though, it spanks the dvd though. That was a compression filled nightmare and the Blu clears that up nicely, while it may not be tier 0 it's definitely worth the upgrade IMO. Also Target has it on sale for $9.99 right now along with Cutthroat Island, the Replicant and Chaos

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Does someone know if it has a different release date up here in Canada? I can't find it anywhere...

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Ninth Gate BD is shown as available on the amazon.ca site, though I have not seen it for sale locally (in Winnipeg).

I've noticed over the last couple of months that you really have to search for some of these lesser known catalogue titles. The number of titles in release is exceeding the growth rate of shelf space. It's a situation that's likely to get worse.

People regularly ask, "Has it been delayed in Canada" and 90% of the time, the answer is "No". Same thing with THE DEEP. I found one copy at HMV but it was so scare that people assumed it didn't get released here.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/17005586

The Ninth Gate BD is shown as available on the amazon.ca site, though I have not seen it for sale locally (in Winnipeg).

The amazon.ca listing is the US release (not French-friendly in case that matters) - I don't know if there is a Canadian release of this available or planned at the moment.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid /forum/post/17006876

The amazon.ca listing is the US release (not French-friendly in case that matters) - I don't know if there is a Canadian release of this available or planned at the moment.

I'm not interested in any "canadian-bilingual-specific" version. I just want the US version. It happened a few times before, some titles, got released weeks after their US counterparts for no apparent reason, other than the blingual packaging crap maybe. Anyway, I'll get it from amazon US then...

·
Registered
778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid /forum/post/17006876

The amazon.ca listing is the US release (not French-friendly in case that matters) -

I've never seen a Lionsgate release in Canada that had French on the case. There's nothing requiring French friendly releases.

I've got THE ARRIVAL, THE DESCENT, THE DEVILS REJECTS, HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, SAW, SAWII and AMERICAN PSYCHO right in front me with no French on the art and no French language tracks.

But, you're correct, amazon.ca lists it as an import...but it's less than $15.00.

EDIT: I see amazon.ca has now sold out. When I originally posted this, they had two copies in stock.

And I just want to reiterate that there is no legal requirement for French on cover art in Canada. This is a long standing myth but has no basis in fact. Most major studios have adopted bi-lingual covers in Canada, most of the smaller players haven't.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/17007030

I've never seen a Lionsgate release in Canada that had French on the case. There's nothing requiring French friendly releases.

I've got THE ARRIVAL, THE DESCENT, THE DEVILS REJECTS, HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, SAW, SAWII and AMERICAN PSYCHO right in front me with no French on the art and no French language tracks.

That's because all the films you mentioned have no french language tracks. Bilingual cover art is not required then. But if there's a french track, except for some catalog titles, then the bilingual packaging is inevitable. That's the law, and studios must follow the rule. It's ridiculous, stupid, and, well, there are so many other adjectives that I'll just stop, but I hate bilingual covers. Either I find the US versions online and replace them, or I just don't buy them and get them from amazon (US). Besides, I like digital copies, and with Alliance we're always screwed.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/17007030

And I just want to reiterate that there is no legal requirement for French on cover art in Canada. This is a long standing myth but has no basis in fact. Most major studios have adopted bi-lingual covers in Canada, most of the smaller players haven't.

No it's not a myth. Sometimes we're lucky and I did find english-only covers over at Best Buy a couple times; probably direct "import" from the United States (for example, I found enlgish only covers on The Mummy trilogy and King Kong), I don't know how Best Buy works between their US and Canada stores... Who knows, but yes there is a law. Some, like Lionsgate (Saw5/Decadence 5 for example), still provide a choice: either you buy it with the english cover, or the french cover, but it's rare. Major studios (except Disney, still giving us the choice, bilingual or english only
) always have specific canadian packaging.

[edit] Maybe it's different in other provinces, but in Quebec, it's a complete nightmare!...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/17006895

I'm not interested in any "canadian-bilingual-specific" version. I just want the US version. It happened a few times before, some titles, got released weeks after their US counterparts for no apparent reason, other than the blingual packaging crap maybe. Anyway, I'll get it from amazon US then...

Understandable, I just noticed in your location that you had entered Paris Montreal and since you were the asker I thought it worth mentioning.

It kind of sucks that Amazon does not display the UPC/EAN of releases on their store pages (and that amazon.ca is gigantic mess which is another story), but the ASIN (in this case "B0027VTMAE") typically matches between stores for identical editions and the UPC information in their public product databases also matches which is mostly what I wanted to say.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/17007147

I will except your edit but I assure that there is no such law in Canada proper.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=2052049

As an individual, I can buy my movies wherever I want, and therefore have english only or russian only covers, but as a business it's a different story.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.