AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been the subject of other threads, but as a new owner of the Sony Sat-HD100 I want to decide quickly whether or not to return the unit. The fan in my unit is somewhat noisy and I measured it at about 63db to 65db (using a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter). Has anyone else measured the fan noise? I am interested in hearing from the owners who indicated that their Sony STB was fairly quiet. I remember reading in an earlier topic that this problem was thought to be in earlier units, the serial number of my HD100 is 2688.

Jeff

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
My Sony has a serial # is the mid 100s and mine is relatively noisy too. I frankly think they're all equally noisy but people's perceptions, hearing abilities, ambient noise conditions & STB placement position all factor into the perception of how noisy it actually is. I'd be willing to bet they're all pretty close.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My SATHD100 SN# is on the low 100s, the Fan is very loud & runs Extremely Hot it seems it is going to melt, but the picture quality is amazing!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Ruben (edited 04-09-2001).]

·
Registered
540 Posts
I find this topic fascinating... as I've already stated in a number of threads, my sony (serial number in the low 400's) is fairly quiet. I agree with Ken that people's perceptions, ambient noise, and stb placement all play a role in evaluating how "loud" the unit is considered to be... also, I live in nyc so I'm sure my apartment is louder than a lot of people's homes... but I'd be shocked if anyone considered this one to be noisy. Yes, the rca is quieter...but not much. My sony is stacked in an open rack with one piece on top of it... from my seating position (about six or seven feet away) and with nothing else turned on, I could not tell you if it was plugged in or not.

The Panasonic... now THAT was a windtunnel... I could hear that unit from my seating postion... I'd say it was as loud as my imac.

Am I crazy?... Does anyone else out there have a relatively quiet hd-100. Maybe this was a bad week to give up crack.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi gang,

I had the Panny and traded it in for the Sony. My Panny was quieter than the Sony, but I don't find the Sony too much of a problem. I DO notice it though, even with the doors on our entertainment hutch shut. When I'm reading it's really noticeable because the room's quiet, but let's face it, when you're watching something on tv and you can still hear the fan....you need to TURN THE SOUND UP!!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

My questions is...how come there's a need for a fan in the first place. I've had RCA directv sd for years with no fan. What's going on in the Sony and Panny units that's so "hot" and causes a need for the fan? I've heard guys say that the Mitz unit doesn't have a fan, but it sure gets hot. Is this HDTV stuff running on isotopes or something?????

Take care and happy viewing...

Bob

·
Registered
731 Posts
I measured 51db right at the fan. My digital RS SPL meter won't register any lower than 50db and I can't get a reading unless I'm right at the fan on the Sony. I can hear the unit from my seating position if there is no source playing. It's in a wall unit with a glass door.

Instead of telling us it's not too loud or it is too loud, measure the DB levels and report it here for comparison.

Roger

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger, thanks for your noise level measurements. I too would like people to post the actual sound level, as measured with a Sound Level Meter, from the fan. To make comparisions valid, we should try to measure in a similar manner. Since my unit has not yet been installed in my cabinet I was able to place the SLM very close to the unit. In a fairly quiet room, I measured the sound at the rear of the unit. Trying to avoid any false reading due to the air movement caused by the fan, I pointed the meter at 90 degree angle (so the front of the meter was NOT pointing directly at the fan). I am using a Radio Shack digital SLM, set at it's lowest range (60db). The sound level I measure is between 63db and 65db. When I turn the unit off, the meter reads LO (indicating a level too low for it to measure).

By the way, I agree with the comments that the noise level is not a major problem when using my system. However, since the fan is always on, I am disappointed that this is the only piece of equipment I can hear when my system is turned off. Whether or not it will be an annoyance when using our media room for activities (reading, ...) is something that concerns me.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
I've found with ear muffs on and 3 paper bags over my head, I can barely hear the Sony at all.

Seriously though, the only post that surprises me in this thread is Bob's. I had the Panny too and it was definitely louder than the Sony. It's sound characteristic was also higher in pitch which made it even more annoying. I guess either Bob had a relatively "quiet" Panny or a particularly noisy Sony.

I'm readig my post as I write this and, the thread in general, and I'm wondering if we've lost it guys. I think we have no lives.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I measure 58db C weighted or 54db A weighted on a Rado Shack SPL. Mine is a 1400's unit.

I never wanted a new hobby; all I wanted was to watch some good TV. The fact that I can now whip out an SPL and respond to a question on the internet from somebody I'll never meet strongly indicates I'm not lost, I'm buried. Please stop me before I improve(?) my system again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've decided to turn the HD-100 around so that the fan faces me. That way if the air conditioning goes off I can still keep cool. Anyone else like to continue these crazy thoughts ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just measured my HD100 fan, I am getting 58db on my RS SPL (weight C, Slow). My SN is 2299. Just wanted to compare to see what other people are getting. If mine is higher then other, I'll probably try to exchange it. Has anyone measured the noise level for the RCA DTC-100 for a comparison?

------------------

CC

·
Registered
731 Posts
IHamp,

"Am I crazy?... Does anyone else out there have a relatively quiet hd-100. Maybe this was a bad week to give up crack."

Until you measure it, "relatively quiet" is just a subjective term. It seems all the measured units so far are in the 50 to 60db range. 50db is fairly loud in my estimation.

I have to wonder how I can have a B&K AVR307 with 7 150 watt amps and no fan, but have to put up with a constant 51db fan noise on my STB?

Love to see more measurements....

Roger

·
Registered
468 Posts
About 59 or 60db with the Radio Shack sound meter if I hold the meter right up nearly against the back of the unit (1/4" away). Serial number around 1200.

·
Registered
540 Posts
roger... just as an interesting side note, we have the same equipment.

Now, back to the thread. I can't really see myself running out and buying a sound meter just to measure the sound of the fan in my hd100. So for now, "relatively quiet" is as good as I can give. But I think the more relevant part of my post is that I can't hear the fan from six feet away... which tells me it's as quiet as it needs to be.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My HD100 is what I call "whisper quiet". To me "Whisper Quiet" = something I can't hear even with the TV off. I can only hear it when I get about 12 inches away from it. That's how quiet it is. Hope that helps.

------------------

Mike McGee

Oakland, CA

·
Registered
134 Posts
You guys will not believe what just happened to me. I went to GoodGuys and try to have them order an replacement unit for my HD100. They wanted me to put down $400 so that they can get me the unit. I agrued with them that this is for a replacement NOT a new order. Did this happen to anyone? Is this a policy? If it is, I guess I'll have to bit the bullet and put in $400 bucks on my credit card and wait for the REPLACEMENT unit.

------------------

CC

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.