AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second go at a home theater. For our first HT we went with a 73" rear projection TV. It was in the basement of our old house and was never fully utilized. Light control was a problem as was budget hence the TV vs PJ. It was fun on the occasions we used it but it was never ideal.

Fast forward to a year ago. We decided to move from Atlanta to the Orlando area and our house had a dedicated HT in the plan as well as a large game room. The game room is largely complete so we're now turning our attention to the HT room.

Room size is roughly 13' wide by 24' long with 10' ceilings. Second seating area has a slight elevation.

First step this week is to replace the overhead builder light with 6 4" can lights. 3 per row of seats. Speaking of seats, we have the 3 existing seats with 5 more on the way and scheduled to be delivered March 1.

Once the lights are fixed I'll move onto painting the room. I made a run to Sherwin Williams yesterday and picked up 3 gallons for flat black for the ceiling and screen wall and 2 gallons of a very dark flat gray for the side and back walls. Will likely get a black carpet to put in front of the screen and mask the bright beige carpet.

Goal is to have the lights and paint done well before March 16 which is when I get the joy of hernia repair. Yay me.

Installers arrive March 20 to finish it off.

Equipment(subject to change of course):

Projector - Epson 6040UB. Debated between this and the Sony VPL HW45ES. In the end, my installer convinced me that the lens memory and faux-k win the day.

Screen - I've settled on 135" 2.35 for size but I don't have any other details on this yet. Installer is a close personal friend who's stayed with us several times. In fact, he did the game room above for me.

Receiver - Integra DRX 2

Speakers - Artison sound bar, Revel surrounds, Revel subwoofer. I don't have the exact models yet.

4K Blu Ray player - Philips

Control - URC with iPad for the remote. I already have this setup in the game room and love it.

If all goes well the theater will open the evening of March 22!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Welcome to the madness! Curious about the name..... Oakland fan? I used to live in Sacramento and we went to at least a couple games a year. I don't follow much anymore, but have some great memories with some crazy people! :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the madness! Curious about the name..... Oakland fan? I used to live in Sacramento and we went to at least a couple games a year. I don't follow much anymore, but have some great memories with some crazy people! :D
Thanks!

And yes, a Raiders fan. My last name is Rader. When my then 5yo brain put 2+2 together I became a Raiders fan much to the dismay of my Denver Broncos fan father lol! Unfortunately I have never made it to a home game but did see the wins in NO and Tampa this past year.

And I already made progress too lol! Did the measurements and got one can light hole cut and light fixture put into place. I need to go back up in the attic and measure for the back left corner light. Bunch of angled wood connecting joists up there and need to make sure it'll fit. Other 5 look to be golden though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out 3 can lights will be more than enough lite in the rare cases we want lights on while watching the PJ. Maybe sporting events or when kids have their friends over. Especially teenagers lol! So I'll go with just the three and returned the rest. Only have one more light to wire tonight and I'll be done with the lights. If all goes well, I should be painted by the end of the weekend.

Side note, my friend called and highly suggested a 16:9 screen vs the 2.35. We will watch a lot of TV and the difference in total width is only about 6 inches.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Room is painted. Sherwin Williams Ovation flat. Black as night for the screen wall and ceiling. Cyberspace gray for the other three walls.

I'll paint the doors black once I decide if I want them to continue opening in or if I want to flip the around and open out.

I'm thinking of spraying the air vents and outlet covers with black plasti-dip and see how they look.

Remainder of the home theater seats should arrive Wednesday. After that, it's just waiting for the install

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Lookin good!

I painted my vents with a paint brush so I could color match them to the ceiling. They can chip if you are not careful, but once installed they never get touched again so they'll be fine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The "Not in Oakland" Raders Theater

More progress! Got the vents put back up as well as outlet covers. I was thinking of changing out the white outlets with black but I like the contrast of the black covers and white outlets and light switch.

Of course, the main deal was getting the additional seats delivered, moved up stairs, and put into place.

Currently first row is 10-11 feet back, second row is 17-18 feet back. May move both rows up just a bit. We'll see once PJ is installed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Room is painted. Sherwin Williams Ovation flat. Black as night for the screen wall and ceiling. Cyberspace gray for the other three walls.

I'll paint the doors black once I decide if I want them to continue opening in or if I want to flip the around and open out.

I'm thinking of spraying the air vents and outlet covers with black plasti-dip and see how they look.

Remainder of the home theater seats should arrive Wednesday. After that, it's just waiting for the install

I love how everything just seems to disappear the closer it gets to the ceiling! Nice

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I almost went all black but my wife asked if we could have at least a little contrast lol! I'm sure it'll be used for football games and such too so probably a good idea but it is very subtle. Another plus is the ceiling/wall lines don't have to be perfect. Nobody is going to see them anyway! Contrast is also why I went with brown seats in the back to go with the green ones we had instead of black seats for the back. Just needed some additional contrast.

Not much left for me to do besides a little touch up. The room is cleaned up. 18 days until the install starts!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
7 days! Back from vacation so should have the time to do the final touch up painting tonight. We have loosely decided that Hacksaw Ridge will be the first movie we watch. The 4k version should be delivered today. I'm thinking Avatar for our first 3D movie. After that we'll probably binge watch the Star Wars and Marvel movies at some point. I'll like watching the LOTR movies again. And, if the kids are old enough to watch Hacksaw, they're old enough to watch Band of Brothers too!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PJ is mounted

Screen is on the frame. 135" Severston Cinema White.

LCR sound bar and Revel sub. The sound bar is the only concern I really have. But, the installer is a close friend, practically family, and knows me well so I trust him on it. I can always upgrade later if it's not enough.

Crew will be back in about an hour to get started again. Control will be an expansion of the URC Complete Control system I have for the game room with an iPad Mini as the HT remote.

Good times!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Have yet to watch a whole film as it was too late but tomorrow night the theater will be premiering Hacksaw Ridge in all its faux-K glory! Just finished updating the PJ to the latest firmware and will mess around with some settings tonight to try and make sure it's ready.

Final Equipment List:

Epson 6040UB PJ
Integra DRX-3 Receiver
Artison LCR Passive Sound Bar
2 pair Revel C263 to complete the 7.1. Considering using the "middle" pair for ATMOS. Something to tinker with.
Revel Concerta B1 Subwoofer
Severston 135" Cinema White fixed frame screen 16:9
URC Complete Control automation and control system
iPad Mini for remote
Philips Hue lighting
First row is Leather Creations HT seating from a decade ago
Rear row is Flash Furniture HT seats off Amazon

Many thanks to this forum for providing the inspiration to make this dream become a reality. Installation was done by Audio Video Lifestyles of Atlanta. Long drive for the crew to come down and perform the install outside of Orlando but worth it when it's someone you can trust! He's a close enough personal friend that we consider him "framily". Also have to thank my wife who has foregone many other new house upgrades in order to help make sure we could do this.

We're officially in the "We can't believe it's finally happened" mode. This is probably considered a low level build by some but it gets our foot in the door with solid, quality components that will last us until we're ready to step it up. Ok, the FF seating probably isn't quality or solid but it was a great value lol! There are so many movies we want to watch, or watch again, that we don't even know where to start. Well, we do, Hacksaw Ridge, but we aren't sure where to go after that. And the super bowl party should be great!

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Awesome! Enjoy the movies! You'll eventually miss this part though. Building it from scratch is just nothing but fun!

I'm not aware of any rules saying you can't give props to someone that helped you. If they exist, they shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts