AVS Forum banner

11941 - 11960 of 13493 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like you simply have the wrong video source selected. While streaming, press OPTIONS - Video Select.

I wish it was that simple. My issue is, while streaming on the Internet radio source the on screen display doesn't come up so hitting option does nothing because the display is not up (like it does when I am on the cable, Bluray, tuner source when I can pull up the onscreen display and hit options and go through the the options like setting the video to TV while listening to the tuner).

Any other suggestions or am I misunderstanding your suggested fix?

·
Registered
127 Posts
mdave, you were correct, I only realized when I was looking at the display on the X4000 itself that the video was set to Apple TV and Apple TV was off so I got the no source message. Learned a lot, thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does anyone use HDMI over CAT5e extenders on the output of the X4000. If so, can you recommend any particular brand? Thanks for your help.

Over single CAT 5e run around 35 ft to an Epson projector.

I'm assuming wireless HDMI is more trouble than it's worth, but feel free to let me know if I'm wrong about that.

-Drew
I use the monoprice hdbaset single cat5/6 extender with great results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AVR-x4000 Nov 20 firmware update issue

Ok, from my side, I've been getting fast and slow flashing and everything points to an internal issue with this unit.

Pulled all the speaker connections and the unit would shutdown with fast flashing within minutes.
Did a processor reset, unit shuts down before it even turns the outputs on (about 3-4 seconds after powering it on) - but with slow flashing.

I just find it odd that it coincided with a firmware update. Based on a few other reports it doesn't seem like I'm the only one this has happened to.

This was a refurb unit and guess what, warranty expired at the end of October. Yeay!

Mike
It had been working since my last post for TV watching, have not had the opportunity to watch a movie still (been busy). Tonight my kids were watching a Christmas special and at normal TV volume it cut off! I went upstairs where unit is and it was flashing slow red light. I guess I have no choice but to take to service center.

The downside is our entire HT will be down and its the only TV in the house besides the kids 26".

Disappointed that Denon hasn't acknowledged the issue with firmware, I cant believe with all the comments that it isn't related!

Need to find a loaner to take this in for service. Worse case I could buy something else and flip this unit once fixed but cant really afford to do that right now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello guys,
So, I have finally setup my Home Theater with the arrival of SVS PB13 Ultra yesterday.
I have a Denon X4000, I have connected my PC to the Media Player Input on the AVR, I usually play games and listen to music on PC, all these days I didnt have a subwoofer so didnt give a thought to it, but after I plugged in my SVS PB13 Ultra yesterday, I can still do not listen to the subwoofer when I play music on my PC through iTunes. AVR is using Sound Mode as Music > Stereo I have tried all other options like Multi CH IN and Multi Channel Stereo, but still cant here my subwoofer.

When I play Movies through my Bluray Player then the Subwoofer output works, maybe coz it will be in Dolby or DTS.
Please help me in sorting this out.

Thanks,
Aditya

·
Premium Member
87,936 Posts
Hello guys,
So, I have finally setup my Home Theater with the arrival of SVS PB13 Ultra yesterday.
I have a Denon X4000, I have connected my PC to the Media Player Input on the AVR, I usually play games and listen to music on PC, all these days I didnt have a subwoofer so didnt give a thought to it, but after I plugged in my SVS PB13 Ultra yesterday, I can still do not listen to the subwoofer when I play music on my PC through iTunes. AVR is using Sound Mode as Music > Stereo I have tried all other options like Multi CH IN and Multi Channel Stereo, but still cant here my subwoofer.

When I play Movies through my Bluray Player then the Subwoofer output works, maybe coz it will be in Dolby or DTS.
Please help me in sorting this out.

Thanks,
Aditya
After running Audyssey, using the MANUAL SETUP menu, reset the FL/FR speakers from LARGE to SMALL with an 80Hz crossover.

Got it :)
Read somewhere to set the Subwoofer Mode to LFE+Main
It was set to LFE before,
Thanks
Aditya
It should be set back to "LFE."

·
Registered
127 Posts
After running Audyssey, using the MANUAL SETUP menu, reset the FL/FR speakers from LARGE to SMALL with an 80Hz crossover.

It should be set back to "LFE."

Came across this post and saw the sub should be set to LFE so I just checked mined and mine was set to LFE + Main. I too thought I read that it should be LFE + Main but don't recall where.

I have switched it to LFE but could someone expand on why that is better? I've always been a little disappointed in the bass I am getting from my SVS sub and I am hoping that setting may help s bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87,936 Posts
Came across this post and saw the sub should be set to LFE so I just checked mined and mine was set to LFE + Main. I too thought I read that it should be LFE + Main but don't recall where.

I have switched it to LFE but could someone expand on why that is better? I've always been a little disappointed in the bass I am getting from my SVS sub and I am hoping that setting may help s bit.

The purpose for the "LFE+MAIN" setting is to pass the lower frequencies sent to the main speakers (when the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE) "ALSO" to the subwoofer so you in effect get "double bass" as both the FL/FR speakers AND the sub are playing the same signal which although perhaps might be preferred (as it's your setup), often results in "bloated" bass.

One example where it would be used is when using the DIRECT/PURE DIRECT surround modes .... when the source is 2.0 stereo, the subwoofer would be silent as there is no LFE (0.1) signal, so setting the Sub to "LFE+MAIN" will send the same lower frequency audio below the FL/FR crossovers to the sub for those that prefer the sub to also be active.

When the FL/FR speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz (as is recommended), the "LFE+MAIN" setting has no effect as the FL/FR lower frequencies are already being sent to the sub.

·
Premium Member
87,936 Posts
I appreciate the explanation - I find the bass "boomy" at times so I'll try LFE only to see its effect.
Also note, that after running Audyssey, most owners find the bass to be rather weak, so you simply need to bump up the Subwoofer Level using Manual Setup - Test Tones about 3-5 db (eg. if sub is set to -7db, raise the volume up to about -2db). Note also that if the sub is set to -12db, you'll need to lower the sub gain on the back of the sub to about 10 o'clock (or lower if necessary) and run Audyssey again to ensure the sub gets set to something other than -12db which is the max setting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I appreciate the explanation - I find the bass "boomy" at times so I'll try LFE only to see its effect.
that should help, Setting the reference level offset to zero will also apply a little bass boost. If you have it at -10 or -15, then you're normal listening level is 'closer' to what you told it the benchmark was so it will apply less boost for any given volume (below the ref level you established).

I'm not someone who needs to 'bump up the sub', but consider that by bumping up the sub channel your only boosting below whatever your crossover is at, it's not gradual so you can end up missing some mid-bass.

-Brent

·
Registered
11 Posts
double post...

but one futther clarification: if you have your crossover set at 80 then maybe you don't miss much, but if you are using a lower setting like 60 or 40, the effect is more dramatic. I have towers that can play down to 30 and so have spent time listening with the crossover at 40,60, and 80. I settled on 60 for the nicest sound. Since i don't feel the need to boost the sub channel, this doesn't create the hole in the mid-bass and i find my system sound the best with it at 60 vs 80.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sounds like you simply have the wrong video source selected. While streaming, press OPTIONS - Video Select.
I just wanted to thank you for this. I had a similar issue as lawtyger regarding internet radio. I selected option (on the denon remote) and Video. When I selected Off, I believe, my display appeared. :confused:

The on screen display use to work but for some reason hasn't in ages. It would appear on the front of the Denon. Somehow, with your help, I have managed to get the display back on the tv. I just want it set up to go to the Internet Radio screen when I enter the activity with my Harmony remote.

But at least I know it's not a defective Denon.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I posted a while back about my Denon not connecting to my netowrk. I had to change the ip address (I set up most devices with a static ip) before it would work. Well, I noticed it again today. So I just set it to DHCP. I'll keep checking in the next week to see if there is an issue. But there shouldn't be a difference as long as it's not conflicting with another device, etc, right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
double post...

but one futther clarification: if you have your crossover set at 80 then maybe you don't miss much, but if you are using a lower setting like 60 or 40, the effect is more dramatic. I have towers that can play down to 30 and so have spent time listening with the crossover at 40,60, and 80. I settled on 60 for the nicest sound. Since i don't feel the need to boost the sub channel, this doesn't create the hole in the mid-bass and i find my system sound the best with it at 60 vs 80.

Cheers

Brent, I am 80 but will try your other suggestions. I need to find time to recalibrate my system soon :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I posted a while back about my Denon not connecting to my netowrk. I had to change the ip address (I set up most devices with a static ip) before it would work. Well, I noticed it again today. So I just set it to DHCP. I'll keep checking in the next week to see if there is an issue. But there shouldn't be a difference as long as it's not conflicting with another device, etc, right?
DHCP is fine as long as you are not using a remote control that needs to know the IP Address. We have had the same issue with setting a static address via the Denon menus. Two hints:

1) Remember to include leading zeroes -- ".003" not ".3"

2) Wait several minutes for the address to actually change. It may not be instantaneous.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
DHCP is fine as long as you are not using a remote control that needs to know the IP Address. We have had the same issue with setting a static address via the Denon menus. Two hints:

1) Remember to include leading zeroes -- ".003" not ".3"

2) Wait several minutes for the address to actually change. It may not be instantaneous.
thanks. Yes, I had #1 covered and as far as #2 , it was changed a few weeks ago and I tested it with success. It was just last night I noticed I was getting the error again.

I'll just stick with DHCP for now on the Denon.

11941 - 11960 of 13493 Posts