AVS Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 5180 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
+1 for BubbleUPnP. It uses DLNA though, not AirPlay. I actually use it to control the play of media on my PC that is playing on the Denon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve just replaced my old Denon 2809ci with a new X2100W and now I have a buzzing in the speakers, that wasn’t there before, that’s somehow associated with my tv.
The buzzing only seems to happen when the tv is being feed a picture (during the loading of a blu-ray the animated image of a spinning disc comes and goes once or twice when the screen goes blank the buzz goes away)
I’ve also found if the screen goes blank/black between a tv show and commercial the buzz stops for the split second the screen is blank.
If you turn the tv off the buzz goes away too.
I’ve tried unplugging components (hdmi cables) from the receiver even unplugging the hdmi to the tv without luck.
All my components are plugged into a Monster Power HDP-1800, which I figured should have eliminated gnd loop issues.
Any suggestions as to where I should start?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've used bubbleupnp for a couple of years. The developer is great and continues to update the app.
I just tried it and a the others mentioned after my question and I like it the best and mainly because it connects to my all access Google Play Music account and I can play directly from it to the receiver without having to reply on Bluetooth.

I going to test it a couple more days and considering buying it.

Any other apps that connect to Google Play Music?

I did a Google search and most of the ones I found are either taken out of the app store or they had that functionality removed.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
I’ve just replaced my old Denon 2809ci with a new X2100W and now I have a buzzing in the speakers, that wasn’t there before, that’s somehow associated with my tv.
The buzzing only seems to happen when the tv is being feed a picture (during the loading of a blu-ray the animated image of a spinning disc comes and goes once or twice when the screen goes blank the buzz goes away)
I’ve also found if the screen goes blank/black between a tv show and commercial the buzz stops for the split second the screen is blank.
If you turn the tv off the buzz goes away too.
I’ve tried unplugging components (hdmi cables) from the receiver even unplugging the hdmi to the tv without luck.
All my components are plugged into a Monster Power HDP-1800, which I figured should have eliminated gnd loop issues.
Any suggestions as to where I should start?
Try taking the Monster out of the loop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I finally received my SX series speakers from Fluance. I bought the two towers, two surrounds, a center and sub as a package and then bought an additional sub and a set of bipolar speakers (AVBP2) to round out my 7.2 configuration. I plan to hook them up to the S900W this weekend. I have two rows of seating and was planning to mount the bipolars as side surrounds (on the side walls in between the two rows) and use the other surrounds that came with the package as back surrounds. From what I've read, the recommendation is to use the bipolars as back surrounds - not side surrounds, but with my room configuration, it would seem to make more sense to use them on the side. Thoughts from anyone? JD?
Over the weekend, I got everything hooked up and running. To be honest, I'm not sure if the improvement is due to the new receiver, speakers or what - probably both. Granted, the speakers are far from broken in (only used them for a few hours), but the sound is wonderful. Glad I bought the S900W. The twin subwoofers and bipolars are great and really balance out the sound. Added the Harmony 650 remote to make life even easier.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Over the weekend, I got everything hooked up and running. To be honest, I'm not sure if the improvement is due to the new receiver, speakers or what - probably both. Granted, the speakers are far from broken in (only used them for a few hours), but the sound is wonderful. Glad I bought the S900W. The twin subwoofers and bipolars are great and really balance out the sound. Added the Harmony 650 remote to make life even easier.:)
I guess I should have mentioned that my previous setup was the Onkyo TX-NR590 with the Bose Accoustimass 6 speakers/sub. Those out there that are not fans of Bose, will probably applaud my upgrade. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I never had Bose in my house, but when I heard them in the shop, it didn't sound all that bad. In fact, I currently own a pretty expensive Monitor Audio APEX set with the Denon X2100W receiver (I know, could do with a little more wattage) but sometimes I wonder if the extra money really is worth it. I never had the cheap 5.1 setups on the market, but sometimes I wonder if a 5.1 Bose set for around 1/3th the price is really that much less good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned in my first post on this ("...I have TV Audio Switching off ..."), turn off HDMI audio switching setting in the Denon HDMI control area. That should correct the issue of the audio switching to the TV sound when you don't want it to.

I set up some Harmony activities to take care of this process. One switches to SmartHub on the TV and switches to TV sound on the Denon. I also programmed the activity with an exit command to switch everything back to the proper HDMI TV port and Cbl/Sat input on the Denon. This works great. I love my Harmony remote.
Thanks again PJL99
I got it to work by having the harmony remote take care of "forcing" the correct audio sourcing input. Wife is happy that Harmony can do it so she doesn't need to remember how. I love that Harmony 900 cause it lets me have all components hidden away in another room.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For the same price that I paid for the Bose 5.1 system, I was able to buy a Fluance 5.1 system plus an extra sub and 2 bipolar speakers to create a 7.2 system. The sound is definitely more balanced with the Fluance speakers. Even my wife says that and she's not into home theater like I am. Having said that, replacing the AVR at the same time makes it a little difficult to say that the improved sound is speakers, AVR, or both. As far as I'm concerned, the investment in the replacement equipment was worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a new X2100W that randomly shuts down.

Fairly simple setup - Comcast Cable & Oppo Blu Ray feeding it and it's connected to a Samsung HDTV

Watching TV through the Comcast box every so often (maybe hours) the X2100W just shuts down for no reason. Turning it back on and it works OK again for a while. Seems to be quite random - sometimes working for 4 - 5 hours before it crashes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

GRW

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Have a new X2100W that randomly shuts down.

Fairly simple setup - Comcast Cable & Oppo Blu Ray feeding it and it's connected to a Samsung HDTV

Watching TV through the Comcast box every so often (maybe hours) the X2100W just shuts down for no reason. Turning it back on and it works OK again for a while. Seems to be quite random - sometimes working for 4 - 5 hours before it crashes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

GRW
Is this at average volume levels? Check all speaker wires to ensure no loose strands from one post touching another. Otherwise, exchange it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The last few days I get more and more hdmi dropouts (no video for a second, audio works). This is both with the PS4 and cable box. This is on a X2100w. I'm really annoyed by this especially with gaming. So I'm thinking about sending it back and get a Marantz. Would that work? Or is this something different? I have been using the same hdmi cables and components as before, only thing I changed was switching the receiver (Marantz SR6007 > Denon X2100W).
I own the 700W have been having this exact problem and it's driving me crazy. When your video drops, is it "snowy" like static on the screen yet you can still hear audio? I have an Xbox One and my U-Verse cable box is run through it. I've tried hooking up the xbox to all the other hdmi inputs yet still experience this problem. Returned to Amazon and got a new unit the other day and am having the same problem so now I'm thinking it's an hdmi cable issue. Here's my setup:

Optoma HD25-LV >> 3-ft hdmi cable running to hdmi wall outlet >> hdmi ethernet extender running 75ft cat6 to another hdmi extender on the other end >> 3-ft hdmi cable running to 700w

All cables, outlets, extenders were bought on Monoprice. Do I just have way too many daisy-chained cables? I did it like that to "look nice" but now am wondering if I just should have went ahead and bought a 60ft HDMI cable to run straight from the projector to the receiver...

Long story short, is this another defective receiver or a defective cable somewhere in the chain?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
703 Posts
I did get static with the PS4, but it's very random now. When viewing the cable box, picture just disappears for a sec (black) screen and gets back pretty quick. On the PS4 I get some static and it takes a few secs to recover (also due to the wifi connection between receiver/projector is lost then). Was thinking about sending it back but thinking now to keep it since it's not that often (and I'm not gaming for hours per day). Saving up for a high end receiver to replace this one in a year or so (very much thinking about an Anthem).

·
Registered
24 Posts
4 Ohm

Current Set-up - 5.1 -
Front Monitors - M&K S100B's.
Center - M&K S150.
Rear surrounds M&K 85's.

All speakers are rated at 4 Ohms. Sub - DIY 15" Dayton Titanic with 500 watt plate amp. Current receiver is a Denon AVR-1700 (circa 1997) rated at 70 wpc...yikes.

Yes I realize that my M&K's could certainly benefit from a much more robust pre-amp and separate amp but I prefer the WAF and ease of an integrated receiver. In my 18 years of Denon ownership, my receiver has been bulletproof, never any failures, no problems overheating, or any other issues. It often sees hours of usage a day...I definitely got my money's worth out of it. I sometimes (in the past) pushed this receiver near max (00) without any audible distortion or strain. No complaints at all but this is a very old school receiver, without HDMI or any of the latest and greatest features. A bit extra headroom would be nice but with young kids I don't explore the maximum capabilities of my current system much any longer.

Now looking to go with a smaller (physically) receiver to go into a new entertainment center and the old 1700 is just way too deep to fit so it's prompting me to go with a newer receiver. Budget is very tight (with new home purchase lurking this year) so I am trying to keep costs minimized and will likely go with a refurb unit, probably a X1100 or X2100.

My biggest concerns are the tough loads my M&K's can pose on the amplifier section. Having a powered sub helps obviously as I would run my mains as small. Are the amplifier sections on these newer Denons just as robust as the mid 90's receivers? I know that sounds like a bit of a ridiculous question but with all of the new features in today's receivers, I can't help but think quality has possibly declined in other areas. Anyone else here running 4 ohm systems with these new Denon's...2013 or 2014 receivers? I'm asking because it appears some are having shut-downs running even 8 ohm 5.1 or 7.1 arrangements playing movies or listening to music for extended periods of time. This system will be the center of my audio and video system and expect to live with it for several years...maybe not 18 years again though :).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,396
If your old AVR 1700 could play the system as loud as you wanted then any new model should too. That was an entry level model back in the day.

Reactions: Dmanindfw

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got an ipod nano paired with my x1100w. Recently my reciever has started to turn on by itself to the bluetooth input or change to the bluetooth input in the middle of watching something. I've had this setup for a few months now and while it has had problems, this one is new and very, very annoying. Anyone else encountered this/know whats going on and how to fix it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
I am just having a strange problem with my brand new x2100w...
Worked fine for a couple of weeks, tried all hdmi inputs, Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, raspbmc,...
Suddenly this evening switching on the avr, no video is going out to TV over hdmi or a wrong resolution like 480.

Audio is OK.

Video is flashing blue on my Philips TV.

Tried switching off everything, changing hdmi ports, restarting all hdmi sources, but no luck.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thank you!
Camillo

·
Registered
32 Posts
So after extensive testing it looks like I’m going to have to return the 2100.
It would appear that my Samsung plasma (PN58B850 approx. 5yrs old) is emitting some sort of RF that the 2100 is picking up and manifesting as a buzz in the speakers.
I hooked up my 32” Sony LCD from our bedroom (same outlet, same hdmi etc.) and the buzz was gone.
I then turned on the plasma after plugging it into a different outlet/circuit not connected in any way (hdmi etc.) to the receiver and the buzz was back.
Finely I reconnected the old 2809, and again, no buzzing.
It looks like a new TV will be purchased before I get a new AVR.
I will of course call Denon tomorrow and see if they can offer any insight but I’m not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Demons in my Denon

Hi
I am just having a strange problem with my brand new x2100w...
Worked fine for a couple of weeks, tried all hdmi inputs, Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, raspbmc,...
Suddenly this evening switching on the avr, no video is going out to TV over hdmi or a wrong resolution like 480.

Audio is OK.

Video is flashing blue on my Philips TV.

Tried switching off everything, changing hdmi ports, restarting all hdmi sources, but no luck.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thank you!
Camillo
When strange things start happening out of the blue, a "soft reset" by unplugging power cable for 10 minutes is the first step, and if still no joy, after Saving the config file (see Web Control SAVE/LOAD), do a microprocessor reset (post 5 of this thread).

2381 - 2400 of 5180 Posts