AVS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 5180 Posts

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I did, don't know why it doesn't sound good with ota radio and bluetooth
I'm afraid you're being affected by ye old "garbage in, garbage out." Low amplitude over-the-air signals are going to have a high noise-to-signal ratio. While FM transmissions are much less noisy than AM, they still have that problem.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I did, don't know why it doesn't sound good with ota radio and bluetooth
The Bluetooth on my X2100 has noise in it compared to network music as well, maybe just from certain devices. Bluetooth also kind of is just awful, though. I don't use it, personally, so I haven't looked into troubleshooting it.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
So I finally got my s900w hooked up with my klipsch speakers and over the air radio and bluetooth do not sound very good. Built in Pandora and internet radio sound good. Can I get some help on amp assigning?
What question do you have? Unlike the X5200W which has 77 possible Amp Assign configuration settings :eek:, the S900W only has the 3 listed below which should be fairly self explanatory.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm afraid you're being affected by ye old "garbage in, garbage out." Low amplitude over-the-air signals are going to have a high noise-to-signal ratio. While FM transmissions are much less noisy than AM, they still have that problem.
The Bluetooth on my X2100 has noise in it compared to network music as well, maybe just from certain devices. Bluetooth also kind of is just awful, though. I don't use it, personally, so I haven't looked into troubleshooting it.
What question do you have? Unlike the X5200W which has 77 possible Amp Assign configuration settings :eek:, the S900W only has the 3 listed below which should be fairly self explanatory.

Thank you all for responding

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did a lot of research wanting to replace my Onkyo TX-SR606 (circa 2008), wanting a network receiver with wifi, BT, mobile app, etc., and specifically to play HDMI audio in Zone 2, which I have w/outdoor speakers on my patio. I see that the Denon will at least play zone 2 digital if you also have it selected in main zone, which is fine with me. We never need to have different sources in both zones.

Only thing that concerned me was some folks posted herein re handshake issues with the Roku 3. Have a Roku 3 and it talks well with the Onkyo. Seems like it's hit & miss, though, as others reported no problems. Still, I'll give it a go and order one, being that all the features sound great, and I did have a Denon back in the day that I was happy with. If it turns out to not talk to the Roku, I'll return it and look around some more.

Right now thinking about the X2100W. An extra $100 gets you preamp outs for zone 2 plus Audessey silver. Could come in handy.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did a lot of research wanting to replace my Onkyo TX-SR606 (circa 2008), wanting a network receiver with wifi, BT, mobile app, etc., and specifically to play HDMI audio in Zone 2, which I have w/outdoor speakers on my patio. I see that the Denon will at least play zone 2 digital if you also have it selected in main zone, which is fine with me. We never need to have different sources in both zones.

Only thing that concerned me was some folks posted herein re handshake issues with the Roku 3. Have a Roku 3 and it talks well with the Onkyo. Seems like it's hit & miss, though, as others reported no problems. Still, I'll give it a go and order one, being that all the features sound great, and I did have a Denon back in the day that I was happy with. If it turns out to not talk to the Roku, I'll return it and look around some more.

Right now thinking about the X2100W. An extra $100 gets you preamp outs for zone 2 plus Audessey silver. Could come in handy.
Granted I've only had my X2100W hooked up for a week, but I haven't yet experienced any HDMI handshake issues with my Roku 3 connected with a slim 18gbps Monoprice Redmere cable (6 feet). The Roku doesn't require that high a speed of cable, and the cable in theory really shouldn't matter, but I just thought I'd mention it since mine is working fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
any idea which upscaler is better? samsung built in HU9000 or the denon x3100? I'm assuming the denon is qdeo.....what is the samsung upscaler?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Granted I've only had my X2100W hooked up for a week, but I haven't yet experienced any HDMI handshake issues with my Roku 3 connected with a slim 18gbps Monoprice Redmere cable (6 feet).
Thanks, Done Deal. We'll, I'm ordering my X2100W today and should have it by the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks, Done Deal. We'll, I'm ordering my X2100W today and should have it by the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Good luck Yankee! Still no problems with my set up.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How should the video settings be set up on the S900W so that I get the on-screen display overlay from the AVR but otherwise not have the AVR do any processing in terms of upscaling, conversions, enhancements or video modes, etc.? There are some global settings and there are some per input settings, it seems. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How should the video settings be set up on the S900W so that I get the on-screen display overlay from the AVR but otherwise not have the AVR do any processing in terms of upscaling, conversions, enhancements or video modes, etc.? There are some global settings and there are some per input settings, it seems. Thanks.
Good call on turning off the video processing. I tried turning on the i/p scaler on my 2100W just to see what kind of a job it does and the deinterlacing of 1080i was so bad, it looked like my picture was being filtered through a cheese grater.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've tested (albeit unscientifically and rather uncritically) the video conversion on and off for the 2-3 weeks I've had my X2100, I've only noticed one time when it had obvious artifacts but I don't recall what the source format was at the time. By and large it's been fine outputting a constant 1080P signal to my TV. I certainly don't expect any video quality benefits from having it on, since the TV's scaler is probably better and would just scale it to the native 1080P panel anyways, although it does speed up input changes on the TV or even changing TV channels that have different source formats (say 720P to 1080i channel). That's not a huge benefit however so I'll probably just turn it off.

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,660
Good call on turning off the video processing. I tried turning on the i/p scaler on my 2100W just to see what kind of a job it does and the deinterlacing of 1080i was so bad, it looked like my picture was being filtered through a cheese grater.
That's highly abnormal. Something is wrong with your setup, or perhaps there is some weird HDMI handshake glitch.

The last few gens of Denon (previously using the same Anchor Bay chip that was in Oppo BDP's, now using a high end Analog Devices VP) have bench tested very well for video performance. The Denon S900 (identical in almost all respects to your 2100W) just got a 5-star rating for video performance in a review which does video bench tests, it passed all test including 4k upconversion: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-s900w-av-receiver

It's one thing to turn it off because it is no better than the processing already in the display or player. But what you describe means something, somewhere, is defective.

1641 - 1660 of 5180 Posts