AVS Forum banner

17481 - 17500 of 18169 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Denon AVRX3300W I have had for a while and I have a couple questions.

1) I use the AVRX3300W to select the HDMI source (PS3, PS4, Firestick etc) and I normally use the AVRX3300W to listen to the sound. All this works well. I recently got new bluetoorth headphones that I would like to pair to the TV and turn the AVRX3300W off and let the AVRX3300W pass the audio and video out to the TV since I can pair the headphones to the TV. There is a setting in the AVRX3300W Video->HDMI Setup where you can select to send the sound to the AVR OR the TV. Normally I use the AVR and all is well. I can select the TV for sound (in the Video->HDMI Setup) and that works if I keep the AVRX3300W on. If I turn the AVRX3300W off it will still pass the last selected HDMI input to the TV and it will work for sound and picture but it's unreliable. It will work OK for a while then the sound and or video will cut out and sometimes return.

2) The other question I have is I use the AVRX3300W as a preamp only so there are no speakers hooked to it but it still gets hot. IS there a way to turn the amp off or anything so it run cooler? With the AVRX3300W being used only as a preamp, it should not get warm/hot. I do not think it is getting really hot but I would also assume that if it's only being used as a preamp, it should be room temp...

Thanks,
DB

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
1) I use the AVRX3300W to select the HDMI source (PS3, PS4, Firestick etc) and I normally use the AVRX3300W to listen to the sound. All this works well. I recently got new bluetoorth headphones that I would like to pair to the TV and turn the AVRX3300W off and let the AVRX3300W pass the audio and video out to the TV since I can pair the headphones to the TV. There is a setting in the AVRX3300W Video->HDMI Setup where you can select to send the sound to the AVR OR the TV. Normally I use the AVR and all is well. I can select the TV for sound (in the Video->HDMI Setup) and that works if I keep the AVRX3300W on. If I turn the AVRX3300W off it will still pass the last selected HDMI input to the TV and it will work for sound and picture but it's unreliable. It will work OK for a while then the sound and or video will cut out and sometimes return.

Thanks,
DB

I have an LGC7 & x4300. I have only the CEC audio enabled on the Denon (and Simplink on the LG.) I also have my ATV and DirectTV boxes connected to my Denon. I also have Bluetooth headphones paired with the LG.

When I power on my headphones everything just works! audio from my speakers stop and headphone get the output. And when I turn off the headphones everything still works—audio returned via the Denon.

Note: I only have CEC Audio commands turned on via the Denon and not all CEC commands. That is because if I fully enable CEC I have device switching issues that is a common problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an LGC7 & x4300. I have only the CEC audio enabled on the Denon (and Simplink on the LG.) I also have my ATV and DirectTV boxes connected to my Denon. I also have Bluetooth headphones paired with the LG.

When I power on my headphones everything just works! audio from my speakers stop and headphone get the output. And when I turn off the headphones everything still works—audio returned via the Denon.

Note: I only have CEC Audio commands turned on via the Denon and not all CEC commands. That is because if I fully enable CEC I have device switching issues that is a common problem.
What are your headphones paired to??? I assume the headphones are paired to the TV. I would like to be able to listen to the headphones with the AVR off. I also have a LG C7 TV so maybe I can use a similar setup as you.

Thanks
DB

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What are your headphones paired to??? I assume the headphones are paired to the TV. I would like to be able to listen to the headphones with the AVR off. I also have a LG C7 TV so maybe I can use a similar setup as you.

Beats solo 3 paired directly to the LG. But I don’t believe the brand headphones matter.

I just confirmed that the Denon remains powered on although no audio is output.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beats solo 3 paired directly to the LG. But I don’t believe the brand headphones matter.

Agreed

I just confirmed that the Denon remains powered on although no audio is output.

Could you explain the setup you are using? I can get everything working OK if I keep the Denon on because I can send the sound to the Denon and external amps and if I keep the Denon on I can change the settings to send the sound to the TV and thus use the headphones but all my external amps are still on. This does work OK but all the external amps are on. If I turn the Denon off, the picture and sound work then it starts cutting out. Did you find a setup that works with the Denon off?

Thanks,
DB

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,486
I have a Denon AVRX3300W I have had for a while and I have a couple questions.

2) The other question I have is I use the AVRX3300W as a preamp only so there are no speakers hooked to it but it still gets hot. IS there a way to turn the amp off or anything so it run cooler? With the AVRX3300W being used only as a preamp, it should not get warm/hot. I do not think it is getting really hot but I would also assume that if it's only being used as a preamp, it should be room temp...

Thanks,
DB
1. Refer to post 5 and do a "Restart" or "soft reset" to try and resolve the issue, otherwise, try connecting to each of the other HDMI inputs to see if one works more reliably.
2. Although there is no way to power off the amps, it's actually the video card that creates the most heat. You can set ECO = ON which should lower the core AVR temp by 10F.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1. Refer to post 5 and do a "Restart" or "soft reset" to try and resolve the issue, otherwise, try connecting to each of the other HDMI inputs to see if one works more reliably.
2. Although there is no way to power off the amps, it's actually the video card that creates the most heat. You can set ECO = ON which should lower the core AVR temp by 10F.

I tried the restart procedure and it's mo better. Maybe if I get time this weekend I can try the Microprocessor Reset where I will need to re calibrate again. I did not try anything with the ECO mode yet.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Could you explain the setup you are using? I can get everything working OK if I keep the Denon on because I can send the sound to the Denon and external amps and if I keep the Denon on I can change the settings to send the sound to the TV and thus use the headphones but all my external amps are still on. This does work OK but all the external amps are on. If I turn the Denon off, the picture and sound work then it starts cutting out. Did you find a setup that works with the Denon off?

Thanks,
DB

I don’t have an external amp setup.

I have a 5.1.2 system with an AppleTV, Blu-ray & DirectTV box connected to the Denon. The Denon then uses the ARC output to the ARC input on the LG.

LG Simplink is on and audio is set to HDMI/optical (which should not matter as the audio is coming via the Denon when not using headphones.) On the Denon I only have CEC turned on for audio commands.

Headphones are paired to the LG.

I use a Harmony Companion remote to turn on my system. Once turned on, turning on and off the headphones auto-toggles the audio the TV to Bluetooth and somehow instructs the the Denon to pass thru the audio to the TV and not output via speakers (I execute no explicit commends via any remote.)

·
Registered
42 Posts

I tried the restart procedure and it's mo better. Maybe if I get time this weekend I can try the Microprocessor Reset where I will need to re calibrate again. I did not try anything with the ECO mode yet.

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,490
You can use the GENERAL - SAVE & LOAD settings to save a copy of the config.dat file (includes Audyssey EQ) to a USB thumb drive and then load it back after doing the microprocessor reset.

·
Registered
510 Posts
possible on x1300w to use as 2.0 audio only (or 2.1) with no TV output?

would be from optical on PC to the Denon. I guess we could also use 3.5 to RCAs.

thank you

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
possible on x1300w to use as 2.0 audio only (or 2.1) with no TV output?

would be from optical on PC to the Denon. I guess we could also use 3.5 to RCAs.

thank you
Not sure what you're asking.

My AVR-X4300H (from 2016) outputs a static video image (with text on it saying something useless like "Denon") when it gets an audio input but no video. There may be some way to kill the video output, but I have never bothered. I use a Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote to control the system. The TV is off for audio-only sources. (Just have one, a CD player. Connected to the AVR with an optical Toslink cable.)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not sure what you're asking.

My AVR-X4300H (from 2016) outputs a static video image (with text on it saying something useless like "Denon") when it gets an audio input but no video. There may be some way to kill the video output, but I have never bothered. I use a Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote to control the system. The TV is off for audio-only sources. (Just have one, a CD player. Connected to the AVR with an optical Toslink cable.)
I figured it out, thanks! I just set up the only unused input for optical only, the TV shows volume or info, etc.

helping my brother on this. the TV is more or less static. I think might be able to use "direct" or "pure" or something like that to kill video.

I was getting sub output with the sub set to LFE for some reason, I thought it had to be LFE+Main to work with stereo input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can use the GENERAL - SAVE & LOAD settings to save a copy of the config.dat file (includes Audyssey EQ) to a USB thumb drive and then load it back after doing the microprocessor reset.[/QUOTE

I did a backup first but via a web browser to the PC and then I did a processor reset followed by a calibration / reconfiguration.. It still does the same thing where it works fine if I keep it on but if I turn it off it will pass the sound and video via HDMI to the TV briefly then the sound and video will start cutting out. I think I'll just work with what I have...

Thanks,
DB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all - I've got an X3300W and just picked up the Sony X950G. From what I can tell, I don't really need to update my AVR to take advantage of stuff like 4K, HDR, DV, etc. However, I understand that I won't be able to use eARC, which doesn't seem like a big deal since I use an Nvidia Shield to stream media. Could someone let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
nope you will be fine. The x3300w will pass hdr Dolby Vision atmos and dts-x. Shield is negates the need for earc. process to avr and pass to display. make sure 4k enchanced is turned on on hdmi and pass through avr. Cleanest route would be to turn processing off on avr and do passthrough but results may vary for you. Use built in androidtv on Sony to perform firmware updates. Consider turning on pro mode for a very slim experience of androidtv and sony integration.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
nope you will be fine. The x3300w will pass hdr Dolby Vision atmos and dts-x. Shield is negates the need for earc. process to avr and pass to display. make sure 4k enchanced is turned on on hdmi and pass through avr. Cleanest route would be to turn processing off on avr and do passthrough but results may vary for you. Use built in androidtv on Sony to perform firmware updates. Consider turning on pro mode for a very slim experience of androidtv and sony integration.

Awesome, that's a relief to hear. Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi all - I've got an X3300W and just picked up the Sony X950G. From what I can tell, I don't really need to update my AVR to take advantage of stuff like 4K, HDR, DV, etc. However, I understand that I won't be able to use eARC, which doesn't seem like a big deal since I use an Nvidia Shield to stream media. Could someone let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks in advance!
Also, it's something to note that the front HDMI port is limited in its video processing abilities (*someone correct me if I'm wrong; I know it's like that with the X#400 series); sorry if I'm unable to find the exact limitations -- it's something like instead of 4:4:4 processing, it is limited to 4:2:0 or something like that...

UPDATE
I found the info, but only in the 2017 X#400 series thread...but it went something like this; "...it only supports 4k 60/50Hz @ YCbCR 4:2:0..." So, I'm unsure if it applies to your X3300, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't...

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having issues with my subwoofer.

NHT passive subwoofer
HTD SDA-120 amplifier
Denon x4300h receiver

Problem. The Denon clicks on the subwoofer output and there is bass. If I turn up the master volume the Denon clicks and the subwoofer cuts out. I have tried setting the bass in the Denon settings to LFE and LFE+MAIN, both with the same results.

I installed new speaker wire to subwoofer with no effect. I use banana clips.

Any help would be great

Denon Settings
Speaker Amp Assign
11.1 CH
Fllor 5ch & SB
Height
Height Sp 4ch
Layout
Front Height & Rear Height
Pre-out
Rear Height

Speaker Config
Front Small
Center Small
Subwoofer 1 speaker
Surround Small
Surr Back Small 2 speakers
Front Height Small
Rear Height Small

Speaker Crossovers
Individual
Front 100hz
Center 80 hz
Surround 80hz
Surr Back 110hz
Front Height 80hz
Rear Height 80hz

Bass
Subwoofer Mode LFE
LPF for LFE 100hz

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Having issues with my subwoofer.

NHT passive subwoofer

HTD SDA-120 amplifier

Denon x4300h receiver

Problem. The Denon clicks on the subwoofer output and there is bass. If I turn up the master volume the Denon clicks and the subwoofer cuts out. I have tried setting the bass in the Denon settings to LFE and LFE+MAIN, both with the same results.

I installed new speaker wire to subwoofer with no effect. I use banana clips.

Any help would be great

Denon Settings

Speaker Amp Assign

11.1 CH

Fllor 5ch & SB

Height

Height Sp 4ch

Layout

Front Height & Rear Height

Pre-out

Rear Height

Speaker Config

Front Small

Center Small

Subwoofer 1 speaker

Surround Small

Surr Back Small 2 speakers

Front Height Small

Rear Height Small

Speaker Crossovers

Individual

Front 100hz

Center 80 hz

Surround 80hz

Surr Back 110hz

Front Height 80hz

Rear Height 80hz

Bass

Subwoofer Mode LFE

LPF for LFE 100hz
Have you tried testing the subwoofer by just hooking up a cd or bluray player directly to the sub? Won't sound great but will let you know if the amp in the sub is working.

You can also contact Denon and ask them how many volts should be present in the subwoofer output connection. Get a voltage meter and connect to the subwoofer out on the AVR and see if the right amount of volts are present.

17481 - 17500 of 18169 Posts