AVS Forum banner

18261 - 18280 of 18332 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is anyone here using an x4300h with a ruipro optical hdmi(2.0 or the new green 2.1) and is using the analog outs to an amp (and perhaps has a sony 295, may not be relevant)

Can you check if with just your amp and x4300h on are you getting a ticking interference/buzzing from ALL speakers(naturally louder on the externally amplified). I can hear it at my MLP at night when it's dead quiet or within about a foot of the tweeters during the day.

This interference/buz goes away if I unplug the ruipro and use a passive hdmi. All 3 of my 2017 ruipros do this as well as 2 of their new green hdmi 2.1 48gbps cables.

The only thing that changed in my system is going from Sony vw285es to 295.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bunch of question. I'm now seriously looking at external amp for lcr. Any recommendations that won't break the bank out of canada.
Regards Rich

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is anyone here using an x4300h with a ruipro optical hdmi(2.0 or the new green 2.1) and is using the analog outs to an amp (and perhaps has a sony 295, may not be relevant)

Can you check if with just your amp and x4300h on are you getting a ticking interference/buzzing from ALL speakers(naturally louder on the externally amplified). I can hear it at my MLP at night when it's dead quiet or within about a foot of the tweeters during the day.

This interference/buz goes away if I unplug the ruipro and use a passive hdmi. All 3 of my 2017 ruipros do this as well as 2 of their new green hdmi 2.1 48gbps cables.

The only thing that changed in my system is going from Sony vw285es to 295.

Thanks for any help
Sounds like a grounding issue, maybe with the new Sony. Can you check if it's grounded at all?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Have a x4300h for the last 3+ years with no major issues. Last night I noticed a mild buzz/hum from the unit itself when powered on. No abnormal sounds from speakers. I can hear it when I'm right next to AVR or if room is very quiet with HVAC off at my MLP (although my wife couldn't). It seems to function normally otherwise. While I can't be 100% certain when it started since it might not have been always noticeable there is a very good chance it's new. We did have a power outage yesterday afternoon so I'm wondering if it is related. Nothing else has been touched/altered in my setup. I haven't noticed any other obvious electrical issues in the house but haven't gone searching. Could this be a sign of some damage to the power supply or amps from a surge? Could it mean an impending more serious issue? Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,042 Posts
Have a x4300h for the last 3+ years with no major issues. Last night I noticed a mild buzz/hum from the unit itself when powered on. No abnormal sounds from speakers. I can hear it when I'm right next to AVR or if room is very quiet with HVAC off at my MLP (although my wife couldn't). It seems to function normally otherwise. While I can't be 100% certain when it started since it might not have been always noticeable there is a very good chance it's new. We did have a power outage yesterday afternoon so I'm wondering if it is related. Nothing else has been touched/altered in my setup. I haven't noticed any other obvious electrical issues in the house but haven't gone searching. Could this be a sign of some damage to the power supply or amps from a surge? Could it mean an impending more serious issue? Thanks for any input.
Have you tried giving it a mild thump? Not joking. I've had it work with electronics before.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Have you tried giving it a mild thump? Not joking. I've had it work with electronics before.
I have not tried AVR CPR. I can gently try that tonight.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Weak buzzing from the physical unit itself is usually the steel laminations in the power transformer. You can often hear it when standing near a big power transformer on a utility pole.

Not much can be done, but if it gets annoying when you are playing program material you could relocate the receiver, maybe put it in a cabinet with front door closed but back side open for ventilation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like a grounding issue, maybe with the new Sony. Can you check if it's grounded at all?
Yah I was sure it was a grounding issue at first with the new Sony and also new kef ls50 wireless that were added a month before connected via analog interconnects. But they still did it on the same power center/strip and the projector outlet and power station are star grounded. Reason I think it's the ruipro is with every grounded piece of equipment unplugged so only amp and denon plugged in and powered up the clicking buzz was still there. Also it wasn't a steady buzz but was clicking like it was sending data. Anyway my monoprice 30' certified are working great. No more loud clicking buzz but there probably is a little more buzz then before so your probably right it's a ground loop.

As for the buzz/hum from the unit itself I have always heard it but it's only audible if I'm within a few inch of it definitely not when it's dead quiet at my MLP. Try plugging it direct in the wall or into another power center/strip. What are you using for your power?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've been happily using my home theater system for the past ~3 years. Recently I've noticed poor dialog that only happens some of the time. I haven't changed any settings or equipment in years so I don't think I've introduced this problem. It seems more likely that a software update introduced a regression or else something is broken or breaking. Short of replacing every cable and component in my system one by one how can I debug this further to determine the actual cause?

About my (5.1) system
  • LG OLED65B6P
  • Denon AVR-X1300W
  • Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52, SP-C22, SP-BS22
  • Klipsch R-12SW subwoofer
  • Roku Ultra
All components are hardwired over Ethernet (no wifi) with HDMI cables between the Denon and the LG and between the Roku and the Denon.

The problem manifests as if the center (SP-C22) is becomes nearly muted so that the audio dialog becomes very difficult to hear at all. It only happens for a few seconds at a time before returning to normal but it typically oscillates between soft and loud like this. It doesn't happen for all audio but I've heard it so far on Disney+ and Netflix. I haven't yet experienced this in YouTube TV. When the problem is happening I've tried to switch the sound mode which seems to help temporarily but the problem usually returns a 30s later.

Thx in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,270
Hi,

I've been happily using my home theater system for the past ~3 years. Recently I've noticed poor dialog that only happens some of the time. I haven't changed any settings or equipment in years so I don't think I've introduced this problem. It seems more likely that a software update introduced a regression or else something is broken or breaking. Short of replacing every cable and component in my system one by one how can I debug this further to determine the actual cause?

About my (5.1) system
  • LG OLED65B6P
  • Denon AVR-X1300W
  • Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52, SP-C22, SP-BS22
  • Klipsch R-12SW subwoofer
  • Roku Ultra
All components are hardwired over Ethernet (no wifi) with HDMI cables between the Denon and the LG and between the Roku and the Denon.

The problem manifests as if the center (SP-C22) is becomes nearly muted so that the audio dialog becomes very difficult to hear at all. It only happens for a few seconds at a time before returning to normal but it typically oscillates between soft and loud like this. It doesn't happen for all audio but I've heard it so far on Disney+ and Netflix. I haven't yet experienced this in YouTube TV. When the problem is happening I've tried to switch the sound mode which seems to help temporarily but the problem usually returns a 30s later.

Thx in advance for any help you can provide!
If the issue only presents with specific sources then it's most likely a source issue. If the issue presents with all sources, then it could be either the Center amp or Center speaker is failing. Try swapping the Center speaker with either the Front L or Front R speaker to see if the issue presents in the Front L/R speaker as well to confirm the issue isn't with the Center speaker.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Has anyone experienced the volume bar on the display disappears with AppleTV? It happened to me last night. Bar was present on direct tv as well as Blu-ray but not on ATV.

·
Registered
841 Posts
As an avid vinyl listener, I routinely keep the spread center setting on when using Dolby Surround Upmixing (DSU) for multichannel listening of stereo content. I've found that it significantly widens the soundstage vs forcing so much of the content through the center channel. I just found out that Dolby quietly pulled this feature from all of the 2020 AVRs including Denon, and some Manufacturers are getting it phased out of prior year models via firmware update. I just checked my X4300H and I have the newest firmware, and I've still got the feature! 😅 For the time-being, I'm turning off the auto-update feature. Anyone in the know have any info on why Dolby went this route, and what Denon's plans are for implementation? Some good reading here: Dolby Eliminates Key Feature for Enhancing 2CH Music.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,274
As an avid vinyl listener, I routinely keep the spread center setting on when using Dolby Surround Upmixing (DSU) for multichannel listening of stereo content. I've found that it significantly widens the soundstage vs forcing so much of the content through the center channel. I just found out that Dolby quietly pulled this feature from all of the 2020 AVRs including Denon, and some Manufacturers are getting it phased out of prior year models via firmware update. I just checked my X4300H and I have the newest firmware, and I've still got the feature! 😅 For the time-being, I'm turning off the auto-update feature. Anyone in the know have any info on why Dolby went this route, and what Denon's plans are for implementation? Some good reading here: Dolby Eliminates Key Feature for Enhancing 2CH Music.
AFAIK, there is no plan to remove it from earlier year models. It was only removed when the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer was introduced which will not be passed down to earlier year models.

·
Registered
841 Posts
AFAIK, there is no plan to remove it from earlier year models. It was only removed when the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer was introduced which will not be passed down to earlier year models.
Thanks jdsmoothie! I was hoping you'd heard something. My media room sees about 50/50 music and movies, and now that I've lived with it since I got my X4300H in 2017, I would be so pissed if they took it away! It's also enough of a deal breaker that it will keep me from upgrading any time soon... I sent an email to Dolby at the link in the Audioholics article, but who knows if they'll even acknowledge it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks jdsmoothie! I was hoping you'd heard something. My media room sees about 50/50 music and movies, and now that I've lived with it since I got my X4300H in 2017, I would be so pissed if they took it away! It's also enough of a deal breaker that it will keep me from upgrading any time soon... I sent an email to Dolby at the link in the Audioholics article, but who knows if they'll even acknowledge it.:rolleyes:
Thanks for your post. I too use this feature all the time. It makes everything sound better in Heos.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dark Rider

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the issue only presents with specific sources then it's most likely a source issue. If the issue presents with all sources, then it could be either the Center amp or Center speaker is failing. Try swapping the Center speaker with either the Front L or Front R speaker to see if the issue presents in the Front L/R speaker as well to confirm the issue isn't with the Center speaker.
Thanks. That's a good suggestion to swap FL or FR for Center to rule out the Center speaker as the issue.

·
Registered
997 Posts
As an avid vinyl listener, I routinely keep the spread center setting on when using Dolby Surround Upmixing (DSU) for multichannel listening of stereo content. I've found that it significantly widens the soundstage vs forcing so much of the content through the center channel. ....
Thanks jdsmoothie! ... It's also enough of a deal breaker that it will keep me from upgrading any time soon...
Agreed. I consider it a vital feature - even for stereo soundtracks. For anyone who looses this feature, an alternative to try is matrix mode with the delay amount set to zero.

Pip

·
Registered
164 Posts
If Dolby Vision is being sent then the volume bar won’t display with AVRs from our model year.
Thanks for that. I have been watching DV and it does not display, no. It doesn't display on standard content either, however. This just happened and happened before I updated to the lasted OS. Strange that it just went away in its entirety. It's more annoying than I thought it'd be.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Thanks for that. I have been watching DV and it does not display, no. It doesn't display on standard content either, however. This just happened and happened before I updated to the lasted OS. Strange that it just went away in its entirety. It's more annoying than I thought it'd be.
Are you sure your Apple TV is not set to always display everyone in Dolby Vision? Check the ATVs video settings and the associated “match” settings. If it is set to Dolby Vision with match dynamic range (or something like that) turned off then this would explain it.

18261 - 18280 of 18332 Posts