AVS Forum banner

18621 - 18638 of 18638 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yes, AVR-3802 should work! I checked the rear panel and it has EXT-INS. This is 2 step above the 1802 I use.
@TomCruz

Damn, they already sold it.

I did find:

AVR-589

AVR-687

They are asking more for the AVR-589 than the AVR-687. Which one would work and be a better deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Price talk removed]

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Some of the older Denon receivers (AVR series) have EXT IN - inputs that accept the pre-outs. You can actually power the Front main speakers with this receiver as an amp and sound is amazing.
I see on available on Marketplace locally for~$100..
Below is an example - AVR-2310, check the EXT IN on left side.

View attachment 3077839
Does anyone know if there is any advantage to using the EXT IN vs. using a input (CD) on the older AVR?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Hi all, I have a x4400h. Is there a way to see if it is using arc or earc? it seems ok, I can see atmos and truehd, so I assume it is working ok. it is on the latest firmware, although I do not ever recall the earc feature/update prompt occurring.
Note that this is in the wrong thread for your AVR. I believe questions for your model should go to the 2017 thread. I don’t believe any 2016 models support eArc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@TomCruz

Damn, they already sold it.

I did find:

AVR-589

AVR-687

They are asking more for the AVR-589 than the AVR-687. Which one would work and be a better deal?

[Price talk removed]
Just google and check the back panel photos, you should see EXT-IN connections.. Almost all but the lowest level ones have them (in older models)

Reactions: ERuiz

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
@TomCruz ;

Hey bud, I ended up getting the AVR-687...

Ok, question for you since you already have setup something similar.

How do I control the volume on the 687 which powers the additional 2 channels?

Do I set the 687 to a certain volume level and just leave it there while I control the volume globally on the 4400H?

I didn't think about this lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes. Set avr to direct. No enhancements. Turn volume about 80%. Your 4400 will do the rest.
If I may ask why are you doing this though?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yes. Set avr to direct. No enhancements. Turn volume about 80%. Your 4400 will do the rest.
If I may ask why are you doing this though?
Thanks for the info.

I have an X4400H and setting up a 7.2.4 home theater.

Since the X4400H only powers 9 channels (FL, FR, C, SR, SL, SBR, SBL, FHL1 and FHR1).

I need an external amp to power the remaining 2 channels (FHL2 and FHR2).

I will be using the pre-outs of the FHL2 and FHR2 from the X4400H and feeding it into the EXT-IN of the AVR-687 to power these 2 speakers.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just realized it is a 2017 model so your in the wrong thread. The forum is sticky about that. Makes sense for the most part, plus you will get info more pertinent to your gear.
BTW. Give it to the fronts instead.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Just realized it is a 2017 model so your in the wrong thread. The forum is sticky about that. Makes sense for the most part, plus you will get info more pertinent to your gear.
BTW. Give it to the fronts instead.
Damn, I just realized the X4400H is indeed a 2017 model and not 2016. Wrong forum indeed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@TomCruz ;

Hey bud, I ended up getting the AVR-687...

Ok, question for you since you already have setup something similar.

How do I control the volume on the 687 which powers the additional 2 channels?

Do I set the 687 to a certain volume level and just leave it there while I control the volume globally on the 4400H?

I didn't think about this lol

If you are connecting pre-outs from X4300 to EXT-INs on 687.. then you put the volume on 687 "gradually" to 0 db (while playing a source) and leave it there.
This way your 687 is working in amp mode where it is at full volume. The volume control u actually use will be from X4400.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any advantage to using the EXT IN vs. using a input (CD) on the older AVR?
I tried both and there is some technical difference .. both can be used:
  1. with EXT-IN, you bypass the pre-amp section of this receiver that is connected to the speakers. No tone controls, pro logic, sound processing etc can be used.
    This is useful when your receiver that is used as an amp is an old one. Sound is much cleaner.
  2. with Analog IN (CD, DVD), you use the pre-amp from the receiver as well.. sort of double pre-amp. I would not use it,

·
Registered
429 Posts
I tried both and there is some technical difference .. both can be used:
  1. with EXT-IN, you bypass the pre-amp section of this receiver that is connected to the speakers. No tone controls, pro logic, sound processing etc can be used.
    This is useful when your receiver that is used as an amp is an old one. Sound is much cleaner.
  2. with Analog IN (CD, DVD), you use the pre-amp from the receiver as well.. sort of double pre-amp. I would not use it,
Not exactly correct. As long as you run in direct/pure when connected to dvd/cd/etc. Run direct/pure and insure that any processing is off just in case. Good to go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Question Please. This maybe dumb but I am an old fart:)
I have a X3300W and I would first like to leave the HT part which is set up for atmos in Audyssey alone. I would like to have a lot more volume and headroom for 2 channel music from the CD to my B&W front mains. Can I put a 425 watt per channel on the pre outs of the front mains and let Audyssey do it's thing for HT to balance it for movies and TV then have it where I can crank it in 2 channel only for the CD which is already run through the X330W?
Thanks for you time and patience.
James

·
Premium Member
90,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,637
Question Please. This maybe dumb but I am an old fart:)
I have a X3300W and I would first like to leave the HT part which is set up for atmos in Audyssey alone. I would like to have a lot more volume and headroom for 2 channel music from the CD to my B&W front mains. Can I put a 425 watt per channel on the pre outs of the front mains and let Audyssey do it's thing for HT to balance it for movies and TV then have it where I can crank it in 2 channel only for the CD which is already run through the X330W?
Thanks for you time and patience.
James
Yes; however, Audyssey EQs the speakers regardless of whether using for movies or music. Unlike the X4000 series and up, there is no Custom 2CH mode specifically for music listening.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not even if I use that Audyssey app on my I Pad? If that's the case when I go to 2 channel when playind CD's I can raise the volume way up and it not effect my other speakers? The B&W's can handle it but not the surround's.

18621 - 18638 of 18638 Posts