AVS Forum banner

18801 - 18820 of 18844 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
mileage varies between CEC implementations between devices and manufactures. The spec is just to loosely designed.
It's not so much that it's loosely designed, it's that it's in the public domain, and every manufacturer is free to 'extend' or 'expand' the spec as they feel like doing. Which is why when you call LG support to ask why the CEC isn't working properly, they (ALL manufacturers) say "It's only guaranteed to work if everything connected is our brand."

Yeah, right. Like anyone has all LG (or all any brand).

It was a terrific idea, and if they had kept it 'proprietary' with free licensing, mandating which functions were supported and specifically with which commands, and like with HDMI everyone having to use the same module for maximum cross brand compatibility, it would have worked flawlessly pretty quickly.

But every manufacturer has to dip their wick in it, and so we have the current "it works here but doesn't work there except sometimes when it does if you power things up in just the right order and gut a chicken to read its entrails" debacle.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It's not so much that it's loosely designed, it's that it's in the public domain, and every manufacturer is free to 'extend' or 'expand' the spec as they feel like doing. Which is why when you call LG support to ask why the CEC isn't working properly, they (ALL manufacturers) say "It's only guaranteed to work if everything connected is our brand."

Yeah, right. Like anyone has all LG (or all any brand).

It was a terrific idea, and if they had kept it 'proprietary' with free licensing, mandating which functions were supported and specifically with which commands, and like with HDMI everyone having to use the same module for maximum cross brand compatibility, it would have worked flawlessly pretty quickly.

But every manufacturer has to dip their wick in it, and so we have the current "it works here but doesn't work there except sometimes when it does if you power things up in just the right order and gut a chicken to read its entrails" debacle.
Regardless it is, and has always been, an issue so best bet is to not rely on it. If it works great but otherwise just turn it off and not fight it....you won’t win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Here's a problem that tonite just reared its ugly head. I have the 4300 and I use the Bluray button for BD, the DVD button for DVD and Media Player button for my Fire TV Stick 4K. And I use the Movie button with DTS Neural:X for everything.

Tonite I watched GODZILLA vs KONG, which states it plays Dolby Vision and Atmos. My 4300 showed it was playing Atmos. My PJ doesn't play Dolby Vision but it was showing 4K and HDR.

Here's the problem, the audio was super low. I watch everything at 70 except for Disney 3D which I have to pump up to 73...jerks!

This movie I had to turn up to 83 to really feel the Atmos punch. What is the problem?

JD where are you?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Could it be an underwhelming sound track or the Denon?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Could it be an underwhelming sound track or the Denon?
I dunno. I watched it this afternoon, and at a volume level of about 45-50 on a 7.3.4 Klipsch/SVS system in a 600 sq. foot room, it was really loud. At one point, the subs were being hit so hard, my 90 lb German Shepherd stood up, gave me a dirty look, and left the room. I did not sense a ton of overhead or elevated ATMOS effects, but there were certainly some.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First thing I did when I picked up my used Denon S920W about a month ago was to update the firmware and do a factory reset. I was kinda surprised when it just asked if I wanted to take an update this morning. It's updating as I type this. Is Denon still sending out updates for their 2016 receivers????

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here's a problem that tonite just reared its ugly head. I have the 4300 and I use the Bluray button for BD, the DVD button for DVD and Media Player button for my Fire TV Stick 4K. And I use the Movie button with DTS Neural:X for everything.

Tonite I watched GODZILLA vs KONG, which states it plays Dolby Vision and Atmos. My 4300 showed it was playing Atmos. My PJ doesn't play Dolby Vision but it was showing 4K and HDR.

Here's the problem, the audio was super low. I watch everything at 70 except for Disney 3D which I have to pump up to 73...jerks!

This movie I had to turn up to 83 to really feel the Atmos punch. What is the problem?

JD where are you?
Godzilla vs. Kong had quiet dialog. I had to turn it up to 82 also. I could have gone louder.

Reactions: inspector

·
Registered
252 Posts
First thing I did when I picked up my used Denon S920W about a month ago was to update the firmware and do a factory reset. I was kinda surprised when it just asked if I wanted to take an update this morning. It's updating as I type this. Is Denon still sending out updates for their 2016 receivers????
I also got this update. Not sure what it's for, but, the Android App has not been working for me for about a week. After the update it seems to be working again. Maybe that's all this did?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well, I've checked other sites and they say the same thing...whew!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I found it’s much better without any dialog.
It was certainly not the pinnacle of movie story telling. The visual effects were quite good. And I do appreciate HBO MAX simultaneously releasing to theaters and subscribers, although I don't think that's going to last very long now that theaters are beginning to open back up. OTOH, as the relatively new kid on the block, they do need something to drive subscribers to the service...

I had a different experience than some here with regard to audio levels, apparently. Streaming on the ATV4K and having the volume fill a 600 sq foot room well, I never ran the level past 50 and got plenty of effects noise, music, and dialog. I changed nothing on the 4300 - same settings I've used for quite a while.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes. The Harmony doesn't handshake with the device it controls. It just assumes that they are in the last state commanded. I presume that everyone with a Harmony knows that.

I haven't tried to figure out whether the Harmony is capable of switching audio modes on my AVR, or displaying movie run times on my UHD BD player. I nearly never change controls on the Harmony away from the activity to specialized controls for a particular device. And, I find the touchscreen too nonresponsive; I have old, dry hands.
I have the music and movie buttons programmed on my Harmony Elite. Been using it for years and my wife uses it just like any other remote. Even friends who used to complain about my Harmony 1100 (now replaced by the Harmony Elite) have no problem using my Harmony Elite remote. App works fine too for when I am too lazy to go get the physical remote. It is pretty easy to program device specific buttons for each activity.

Edit: never bothered with CEC because my Samsung KS9800 (and D8000 before that) never worked well with my X4300 so I always left that off. It would switch to the TV antenna randomly while watching a bluray or my Fire TV (nothing to do with the Harmony). Harmony has no problem running the apps on my TV.

·
Registered
502 Posts
"Internet Access Error"
I've had my X4300 for about four years. Aside from being my home theater hub, I use it pretty much daily to stream music from my server and I occasionally use it to stream music from Spotify / Pandora / Amazon.

This past weekend, I tried streaming Spotify / Pandora / Amazon from my Heos app and the app gave me the following error message "Unable to play music due to no connection to Amazon Music. Please check that you can access the internet and try again." I got similar error messages trying to stream using other web services with Heos. Streaming from the App to my Heos 1 HS2 speakers works just fine. Streaming from my server from the Heos app to the X4300 continues to work fine.

When I run Network / Diagnostics on my X4300, it says that Router Access is "OK" but that Internet Access is "Error". My Xfinity XFi app for my router sees the X4300 and says it has a good wireless connection.

I ran a Microprocessor reset and restored my settings and still have the same settings. Note - I did not think to check run network diagnostic before restoring my old settings, but given that the settings hadn't changed in years, I don't expect that my settings are the issue.

As long as I have router access and can access music on my server, not having internet access with my X4300 isn't a terrible problem. That said, it is nice to be able to stream more recent music when the kids visit. I'm also concerned that future Heos app upgrades could cause problems if I can't do matching updates on my X4300.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep! Got an update for my x3300h today as well. I just wish they'd post an actual changelog instead of doing the Sony/Nintendo thing of "stability update" nonsense. Regardless, thanks to their FW updates, I have no reason to move from this 5-year-old receiver to anything newer until I go full 8k someday.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Updating my 3300 as I type. I agree it would be nice to have more info.
From what I've gathered, updates are now limited to things like fixing HEOS issues, and of course fixing stuff they broke in the previous update.

I don't think there have been any fixes to the basic AVR functionality or interface in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
All these recent updates prompts me remind everyone of this issue from from 4 months ago - hardly the first time this issue has occurred:

Hello everyone,
I have a 2016 Denon AVR X1300W, did the update a couple months ago, got it all screwed up, stuck in a firmware update, had a 5 extended warranty ...
I combed through this forum for a solution, I tried post #5, no luck.! Denon were awful to deal with. they told me that they no longer provide new firmware to download from their site!
anyone with any suggestions, or has a firmware download available through USB.
A summary of my response at the time:

Sorry for your troubles. Your post should serve as a warning for all owners past the Denon factory warranty. Unless you use HEOS devices, there is no reason to update unless your receiver is not working properly. No new features or functions are being added. Although not common, quite a few Denon owners have had a receiver brick during a firmware update. It's an opportunity for something to go wrong.

To compound the risk, the "update notifications off" setting doesn't work. Even when set to off, update notifications still appear on startup. If you accidentally hit the select button on startup, the update begins - with no further confirmation from you, or any way for you to back out. To begin an update, from which there is no return, takes only one button press. To dismiss the update notification, requires a sequence of five presses. If one wants to not see the update notifications, go into the menu and turn off the "allow updates" setting. If you ever decided you want an update, you can turn this back on.

FWIW,

Pip

·
Premium Member
91,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18,819 ·
"Internet Access Error"
I've had my X4300 for about four years. Aside from being my home theater hub, I use it pretty much daily to stream music from my server and I occasionally use it to stream music from Spotify / Pandora / Amazon.

This past weekend, I tried streaming Spotify / Pandora / Amazon from my Heos app and the app gave me the following error message "Unable to play music due to no connection to Amazon Music. Please check that you can access the internet and try again." I got similar error messages trying to stream using other web services with Heos. Streaming from the App to my Heos 1 HS2 speakers works just fine. Streaming from my server from the Heos app to the X4300 continues to work fine.

When I run Network / Diagnostics on my X4300, it says that Router Access is "OK" but that Internet Access is "Error". My Xfinity XFi app for my router sees the X4300 and says it has a good wireless connection.

I ran a Microprocessor reset and restored my settings and still have the same settings. Note - I did not think to check run network diagnostic before restoring my old settings, but given that the settings hadn't changed in years, I don't expect that my settings are the issue.

As long as I have router access and can access music on my server, not having internet access with my X4300 isn't a terrible problem. That said, it is nice to be able to stream more recent music when the kids visit. I'm also concerned that future Heos app upgrades could cause problems if I can't do matching updates on my X4300.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?
Have you referred to post #5 and completed a "Discrete Network Chip only reset"?

18801 - 18820 of 18844 Posts