AVS Forum banner

18861 - 18880 of 18942 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
2.) What's the best way to get the most out of HD800S for atmos content given the devices I have?
This is less flippant than it sounds:

-Feed some white noise or rainforest type sound into the headphones or some earbuds

-Put them over or into your wife's ears as she sleeps

-Turn the 4300's volume UP.

Alternately, buy an inexpensive night noise machine and set it up next to the bed. It's sometimes easier to fix the destination than the source. :D ;)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
This is less flippant than it sounds:

-Feed some white noise or rainforest type sound into the headphones or some earbuds

-Put them over or into your wife's ears as she sleeps

-Turn the 4300's volume UP.

Alternately, buy an inexpensive night noise machine and set it up next to the bed. It's sometimes easier to fix the destination than the source. :D ;)
😂

I'll add that this wouldn't even be an issue if PS5 wasn't so stubborn about its 3D Audio feature and simply allowed me to buy Dolby Atmos for Headphones through the Dolby Access app. Then that software would decode atmos and pipe out the audio to my SoundblasterX G6 dac/amp, problem solved.

Can anyone speak to the headphone jack for x4300h? If the AVR is decoding atmos, is any height virtualization passed through the headphone jack?

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18,863 · (Edited)
Can anyone speak to the headphone jack for x4300h? If the AVR is decoding atmos, is any height virtualization passed through the headphone jack?
Only stereo audio is passed; however, you can use the "Virtual" surround mode (p. 145 Owner's manual) with headphones for a more expansive surround sound effect.

Also, although Audyssey is disabled when using headphones, you can use the "Headphone EQ" (p. 185 Owner's manual) which will only appear when headphones are plugged in.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Only stereo audio is passed; however, you can use the "Virtual" surround mode (p. 145 Owner's manual) with headphones for a more expansive surround sound effect.

View attachment 3132382

Also, although Audyssey is disabled when using headphones, you can use the "Headphone EQ" (p. 185 Owner's manual) which will only appear when headphones are plugged in.
Thank you! Anyone use this with atmos content with headphones? If so, how do you like the virtualization of atmos height speakers in the headphones?

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18,867 ·
I understand, my question is, how well does it virtualize when watching atmos content?
Not much different than any other audio, although will depend on the quality of the headphones.

"Speaker Virtualizer" refers to hearing what appears to be audio being bounced off the ceiling. Headphone audio goes straight to your ears.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Not much different than any other audio, although will depend on the quality of the headphones.

"Speaker Virtualizer" refers to hearing what appears to be audio being bounced off the ceiling. Headphone audio goes straight to your ears.
Ah okay, that's disappointing. I mean, I understand the limitations, but was hoping that combining Atmos being fed into the AVR and using my Sennheiser HD800S as headphones connected to the AVR, that for sound content meant for height speakers, that I might get some sort of sensation of such audio sounding above me spatially, even if not perfect.

I did a brief demo of John Wick 2 UHD feeding atmos into the AVR (AVR set to the Virtual mode sound type as mentioned above), and using HD800S, during the sequence with John Wick getting his car early on in the film. I wasn't too impressed, i.e., at least from that test, I'm more inclined to stick with night mode features on the x4300h like dynamic volume and LFC and use my 7.1.4 system as opposed to HD800S plugged into the AVR. Going to do more tests though. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18,869 ·
Ah okay, that's disappointing. I mean, I understand the limitations, but was hoping that combining Atmos being fed into the AVR and using my Sennheiser HD800S as headphones connected to the AVR, that for sound content meant for height speakers, that I might get some sort of sensation of such audio sounding above me spatially, even if not perfect.

I did a brief demo of John Wick 2 UHD feeding atmos into the AVR (AVR set to the Virtual mode sound type as mentioned above), and using HD800S, during the sequence with John Wick getting his car early on in the film. I wasn't too impressed, i.e., at least from that test, I'm more inclined to stick with night mode features on the x4300h like dynamic volume and LFC and use my 7.1.4 system as opposed to HD800S plugged into the AVR. Going to do more tests though. Thanks.
I would tend to agree in that the Virtual surround mode doesn't add much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is there anyway to use my 3300 as a passthrough so I can use my tube integrated amp for playing redbook cds?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
All of the sudden my Denon 3300 is changing the volume level back to -60dB (my default power on setting) when changing sources while the AVR is on.

Any idea what may be causing this?

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18,877 ·
All of the sudden my Denon 3300 is changing the volume level back to -60dB (my default power on setting) when changing sources while the AVR is on.

Any idea what may be causing this?
Are you using a QUICK SELECT to change the sources or simply pressing the source button on the remote? If the latter, refer to post #5 and do a "soft reset."

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My X4300H is currently running a 7.2.4 setup. 9 channels are driving the LCR, 4 surrounds and 2 front height channels. The 2 rear height channels are powered by an external 2-channel amp from the Height 2 subouts from the AVR.

My question is, can I still hook up my 2 speakers in my pool area for a ZONE 2 stereo output whenever I want to hear Spotify music in the pool area?

How would I need to set it up? Do I need another external 2-channel amp just for ZONE 2?

·
Registered
236 Posts
My X4300H is currently running a 7.2.4 setup. 9 channels are driving the LCR, 4 surrounds and 2 front height channels. The 2 rear height channels are powered by an external 2-channel amp from the Height 2 subouts from the AVR.

My question is, can I still hook up my 2 speakers in my pool area for a ZONE 2 stereo output whenever I want to hear Spotify music in the pool area?

How would I need to set it up? Do I need another external 2-channel amp just for ZONE 2?
Seems like your Height 2 speaker posts would be open for the pool speakers, since you have those powered by the external. Are you able to assign the Height 2 amps to Zone 2?

18861 - 18880 of 18942 Posts