AVS Forum banner

6241 - 6260 of 6347 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
No, they are not offering any credit for the S2 parts nor a return program. You could always inquire with Dave/Dina about sending the parts back, but I don't think they would cover the shipping.
I was able to send back my old S2 parts and Ascend covered shipping. I'm not sure if they're still currently offering this however.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
No, they are not offering any credit for the S2 parts nor a return program. You could always inquire with Dave/Dina about sending the parts back, but I don't think they would cover the shipping.
I was able to send back my old S2 parts and Ascend covered shipping. I'm not sure if they're still currently offering this however.
Thanks...in the past I've seen and used similar programs offered by Ascend....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks but that raises more questions for me than it answers. Inductors are not rotating coils so the questions remain regarding emfs from fixed coils in close proximity on a x-over board. Effects of orientation and having watched that video I'm now curious about how the varying current flow through them effects the other coils? Bottom line is I'd still like to know why the inductors shown are oriented the way they are? Comments from someone with x-over expertise please?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks but that raises more questions for me than it answers. Inductors are not rotating coils so the questions remain regarding emfs from fixed coils in close proximity on a x-over board. Effects of orientation and having watched that video I'm now curious about how the varying current flow through them effects the other coils? Bottom line is I'd still like to know why the inductors shown are oriented the way they are? Comments from someone with x-over expertise please?

This is much simpler to follow...... for me anyway! (Starting about 1:55)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can someone point me to some recent posts regarding padded screw-in feet for the towers? I know I saw a couple of posts in the past couple of weeks and now (of course) I can't find them. These spikes gotta' go! Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can someone point me to some recent posts regarding padded screw-in feet for the towers? I know I saw a couple of posts in the past couple of weeks and now (of course) I can't find them. These spikes gotta' go! Thanks.
Found new speaker feet for Sierra Towers and hardwood/tile floors

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7064-Found-new-speaker-feet-for-Sierra-Towers-and-hardwood-tile-floors

There are links to both the rubber bumper feet that I found, and the felt pad feet that Ascend has mentioned, in the thread. IMO the spikes (or ANY spikes) are a huge PITA on hardwood floors, which is what began my search.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Found new speaker feet for Sierra Towers and hardwood/tile floors

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7064-Found-new-speaker-feet-for-Sierra-Towers-and-hardwood-tile-floors

There are links to both the rubber bumper feet that I found, and the felt pad feet that Ascend has mentioned, in the thread. IMO the spikes (or ANY spikes) are a huge PITA on hardwood floors, which is what began my search.
Thanks dkushner. Holy senility Batman, it was just a couple of pages back and I couldn't find it!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Fellow Ascend Owners - this is a question about Amplification. And maybe it is more appropriate to pose over on that forum? But it's specific to driving our Ascend speakers, so I thought I'd start here and see what thoughts others might have.

Last night (for the first time ever), while we were watching a Blu Ray with the volume up pretty loud, my Receiver (Denon x4400h) just shut itself off. I'm pretty sure it was some sort of safety feature/limiter that we had pushed it to far, as it occurred during a pretty intense action sequence. It was pretty loud, but not *painfully* so, and these Ascends were handling it like a champ and just playing loud and sounding awesome, right up until the receiver clicked off.

I use a Denon x4400h. My last two AVR purposes have been intentional in terms of giving myself the ability to use Pre-Outs to add an additional external amp if I needed to... and now, for the first time ever, I'm thinking about realizing that potential. Something like a Marantz MM7025 or an Emotiva XPA-2 two channel amplifier, to "take the load off" for the front left-rights, and letting the Denon drive the center channel and rears.

My question is kind of - is this a workable plan? Any other Ascend owners run this kind of a setup? Any input or insight on a better plan, or give me a thumbs up or thumbs down about the above plan?

I use my system for both music (2.0 "direct" and 2.1 XT32 room corrected) and 5.1 movies...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Fellow Ascend Owners - this is a question about Amplification. And maybe it is more appropriate to pose over on that forum? But it's specific to driving our Ascend speakers, so I thought I'd start here and see what thoughts others might have.

Last night (for the first time ever), while we were watching a Blu Ray with the volume up pretty loud, my Receiver (Denon x4400h) just shut itself off. I'm pretty sure it was some sort of safety feature/limiter that we had pushed it to far, as it occurred during a pretty intense action sequence. It was pretty loud, but not *painfully* so, and these Ascends were handling it like a champ and just playing loud and sounding awesome, right up until the receiver clicked off.

I use a Denon x4400h. My last two AVR purposes have been intentional in terms of giving myself the ability to use Pre-Outs to add an additional external amp if I needed to... and now, for the first time ever, I'm thinking about realizing that potential. Something like a Marantz MM7025 or an Emotiva XPA-2 two channel amplifier, to "take the load off" for the front left-rights, and letting the Denon drive the center channel and rears.

My question is kind of - is this a workable plan? Any other Ascend owners run this kind of a setup? Any input or insight on a better plan, or give me a thumbs up or thumbs down about the above plan?

I use my system for both music (2.0 "direct" and 2.1 XT32 room corrected) and 5.1 movies...

I’d run a 3 channel amp for the LCR, or 3 mono blocks. The center channel is doing most of the heavy lifting for movies so I think if you are adding external amplification you will want that included.
I power all of my system on a Monolith 7X using an older Yamaha avr for processing.

On another note, did it maybe shut down due to overheating? If so maybe an external fan might do the trick.

·
Registered
728 Posts
psuKinger, My first thought is "heat". How many channels are you driving? Sorry if I'm being too elementary, but many of us have had heat related problems from obvious causes. I don't see a problem with your plan, I just have a different take on adding amps to an AVR rather than going with separates and that's a different conversation. Does your avr have the recommended space around it? Is it near a heat source or have other equipment above or below it? Is it in a closed cabinet? I started using AC Infinity fans on all my heat generating equipment a few years ago and haven't had a heat related problem since. Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts

I could drive my old Denon 2312 into protect mode during 2.1 music listening with my B&W 683 S2s at VERY high volume levels with music like Metallica. It didn’t happen very often, but always made me want to get a newer receiver with pre-outs (needed the 4k HDMI anyway) just for more breathing room. Those B&Ws are notoriously difficult to drive at high volume levels due to their particular impedance curve, which is a concept that I don’t fully understand, but seemed to be a consensus among people who do. That said, I don’t believe the 2312 every broke a sweat with HT content, but I NEVER play HT content as loud as I occasionally play music.

I picked up a Denon X3500H for about half of retail since the 3600 is out, and that really led me down a somewhat pricey rabbit hole. I immediately added Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for LR and couldn’t get the receiver to break a sweat since it’s was not doing any amplification. The B&Ws seemed to pair better with dedicated outboard amps.

Then I decided to upgrade to the Sierra RAAL towers, replace my original SVS SB12NSD sub with a pair of SB3000s, and added an Ascend Duo LCR as my first center channel speaker for HT...and that is also driven by an Outlaw 2200 monoblock. The great deal on the Denon receiver led to me replacing everything in my system except for my TV.

I can play everything as loud as I’m comfortable with and none of the electronics ever get more than warm. It’s a good idea to run a modern Denon with Eco Mode=ON when relying solely on outboard amplification. It will run a little bit cooler, and consensus seems to be that that mode will not affect sound quality at all if you’re not using the onboard amps.

I really like outboard amplification for my listening habits, and that’s my entire experience. Dave F. from Ascend has stated that the Sierra Towers should be relative easy to drive, and I have no reason to doubt that...but since I already had the Outlaw 2200s I never tried hooking them up directly to my 3500.

Reactions: psuKinger

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thanks, guys.

psuKinger, My first thought is "heat". How many channels are you driving? Sorry if I'm being too elementary, but many of us have had heat related problems from obvious causes. I don't see a problem with your plan, I just have a different take on adding amps to an AVR rather than going with separates and that's a different conversation. Does your avr have the recommended space around it? Is it near a heat source or have other equipment above or below it? Is it in a closed cabinet? I started using AC Infinity fans on all my heat generating equipment a few years ago and haven't had a heat related problem since. Good Luck
Interesting thought. I'm not in an *ideal* configuration. Certainly not "the worst configuration" this board has ever seen or a "Denon-into-Ascend" setup ever, but it's not the best, either.

I've only got ~1.25 inches to either side (left or right) of the Receiver. There's several inches (maybe 5 or 6) to a rear back wall. It's not a closed cabinet. The front is out into the room. The very front 6 inches (including the first 4 inches of the top vent) are not covered at all, and have nothing above them other than the ceiling far above. The rest of the AVR has my center channel (Sierra-2EX) about 5 inches above it.

This is a legit concern and thanks for drawing my attention to it. My only reason to think it might *not* be the cause is that I was able to get right back up and running at only a little lower volume (from "62" to "57" on the Denon digital volume control) within 45ish seconds of rest time... I would have thought a temperature overheat would cause a longer delay to get back up and running for that heat to dissipate if it was just building up in an overly-confined space?

I’d run a 3 channel amp for the LCR, or 3 mono blocks. The center channel is doing most of the heavy lifting for movies so I think if you are adding external amplification you will want that included.
I power all of my system on a Monolith 7X using an older Yamaha avr for processing.

On another note, did it maybe shut down due to overheating? If so maybe an external fan might do the trick.

I could drive my old Denon 2312 into protect mode during 2.1 music listening with my B&W 683 S2s at VERY high volume levels with music like Metallica. It didn’t happen very often, but always made me want to get a newer receiver with pre-outs (needed the 4k HDMI anyway) just for more breathing room. Those B&Ws are notoriously difficult to drive at high volume levels due to their particular impedance curve, which is a concept that I don’t fully understand, but seemed to be a consensus among people who do. That said, I don’t believe the 2312 every broke a sweat with HT content, but I NEVER play HT content as loud as I occasionally play music.

I picked up a Denon X3500H for about half of retail since the 3600 is out, and that really led me down a somewhat pricey rabbit hole. I immediately added Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for LR and couldn’t get the receiver to break a sweat since it’s was not doing any amplification. The B&Ws seemed to pair better with dedicated outboard amps.

Then I decided to upgrade to the Sierra RAAL towers, replace my original SVS SB12NSD sub with a pair of SB3000s, and added an Ascend Duo LCR as my first center channel speaker for HT...and that is also driven by an Outlaw 2200 monoblock. The great deal on the Denon receiver led to me replacing everything in my system except for my TV.

I can play everything as loud as I’m comfortable with and none of the electronics ever get more than warm. It’s a good idea to run a modern Denon with Eco Mode=ON when relying solely on outboard amplification. It will run a little bit cooler, and consensus seems to be that that mode will not affect sound quality at all if you’re not using the onboard amps.

I really like outboard amplification for my listening habits, and that’s my entire experience. Dave F. from Ascend has stated that the Sierra Towers should be relative easy to drive, and I have no reason to doubt that...but since I already had the Outlaw 2200s I never tried hooking them up directly to my 3500.
This was helpful from both of you. Let me better explain where I think my confusion might be, while I try to understand what the right next step is (if it isn't an overheating issue):

My receiver is rated the way most receivers are: x watts (in my case, 125) per channel, 2 channels driven, into 8 ohms.

What I think that means is that I have a "pool" of 250 watts available (for use into 8 ohm loads). What I don't fully understand is how flexibly that 250 watts can be allocated-as-needed (divided up) into those 5 channels. Can it, in theory, safely and properly put, say 150 of those 250 watts into the center channel (the max safe continuous rating Ascend gives it), and divy up the other 100 as-needed into the remaining 4 channels (and then, if I go out and buy a new 2-channel amp, can those 250 watts now flexibly be allocated into just the remaining 3 channels)...

Basically (if it's not an overheating issue), I'm trying to do a max volume/max capability calculation:
I purchased a center-oriented 2EX when I bought, because I couldn't physically fit a Horizon (without blowing up my WAF), and when I purchased the Duo wasn't listed on the website and I didn't sniff out that "it was a thing that Ascend had and was taking orders on" until it was too late for me. Such is life.
The 2EX is rated to a maximum continous power of 150 watts, with a typical in-room sensitivity of 86 dB.
I sit about 13 feet (~4 meters) away: -12 dB
128 watts into that center channel (7 doublings) should equate to 7x~3dB = 21 dB

So if I could drive the front left-right's with an external amp, such that they no longer use ANY of my 250 watt pool, I think I have plenty of power available to give my center channel (2Ex) something close to it's maximum power capability (150 watts) and be able to achieve something close to my maximum volume (86 - 12 + 21.x = 95.x dB; should be PLENTY loud for me, personally, as I'm not a rock-concert-super-loud-sort-of-guy).

I think it's possible, though, that *only* having 250 watts total and trying to drive all 5 channels, particularly with this center channel (sensitivity a bit lower than ideal), put me into a place where I didn't have enough power to take my system to where I tried to take it last night? That the power demand from the front 3, combined, was too much for this Denon at this volume, for a high-peak-y situation of a loud action scene? If I offload the power demand of my Front Towers, would that allow for that 250 watt "pool" from my denon to allocate now to *just* the center and the rears? If my thinking is right on this, 250 watts seems to be quite sufficient for that scenario, when the rears probably aren't much of a load, and the center shouldn't be getting fed more than 150 watts continuous anyway, and if I know myself, I don't want to play my center channel louder than 95 dB anyway, and all is well...

That's the general thinking I had. If power isn't "pooled and allocated" like that, that's what I want to know before I spend $$$...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've never experienced overheating....using AVRs...in a confined space...my MRX was rated @ 7x80... coming from more powerful units like Yamaha & Denon 3805...the tower's are very efficient rated @ 92db in room. Recently....after some consideration was given to my limited space I decided to go with the slim profile designed Marantz 1710...which is only rated @ 7x50... I've always desired to go with separates....but for now it easily powers my LRC....to my surprise...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Actually, looking at the spec sheet for your 4400H, it has 9 amplifier channels, all identical. The 125WPC is for 2 channels driven. Your available power is likely more, but can't tell how much more. If you are driving more, than each channel will get less power. I'm wondering if the shutdown was some sort of speaker protection because one (or more) of the amps clipped.

I agree with the poster above - get a 3 channel amp for the fronts (L, R, center). Or, if in budget, just get a 5 channel amp and run everything external.

I also use AC Infinity fans in my cabinet to help exhaust heat.

Reactions: dkushner

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Interesting thought. I'm not in an *ideal* configuration. Certainly not "the worst configuration" this board has ever seen or a "Denon-into-Ascend" setup ever, but it's not the best, either.

I've only got ~1.25 inches to either side (left or right) of the Receiver. There's several inches (maybe 5 or 6) to a rear back wall. It's not a closed cabinet. The front is out into the room. The very front 6 inches (including the first 4 inches of the top vent) are not covered at all, and have nothing above them other than the ceiling far above. The rest of the AVR has my center channel (Sierra-2EX) about 5 inches above it.

This is a legit concern and thanks for drawing my attention to it. My only reason to think it might *not* be the cause is that I was able to get right back up and running at only a little lower volume (from "62" to "57" on the Denon digital volume control) within 45ish seconds of rest time... I would have thought a temperature overheat would cause a longer delay to get back up and running for that heat to dissipate if it was just building up in an overly-confined space?

This was helpful from both of you. Let me better explain where I think my confusion might be, while I try to understand what the right next step is (if it isn't an overheating issue):

My receiver is rated the way most receivers are: x watts (in my case, 125) per channel, 2 channels driven, into 8 ohms.

What I think that means is that I have a "pool" of 250 watts available (for use into 8 ohm loads). What I don't fully understand is how flexibly that 250 watts can be allocated-as-needed (divided up) into those 5 channels. Can it, in theory, safely and properly put, say 150 of those 250 watts into the center channel (the max safe continuous rating Ascend gives it), and divy up the other 100 as-needed into the remaining 4 channels (and then, if I go out and buy a new 2-channel amp, can those 250 watts now flexibly be allocated into just the remaining 3 channels)...

Basically (if it's not an overheating issue), I'm trying to do a max volume/max capability calculation:
I purchased a center-oriented 2EX when I bought, because I couldn't physically fit a Horizon (without blowing up my WAF), and when I purchased the Duo wasn't listed on the website and I didn't sniff out that "it was a thing that Ascend had and was taking orders on" until it was too late for me. Such is life.
The 2EX is rated to a maximum continous power of 150 watts, with a typical in-room sensitivity of 86 dB.
128 watts into that center channel (7 doublings) should equate to 7x~3dB = 21 dB

So if I could drive the front left-right's with an external amp, such that they no longer use ANY of my 250 watt pool, I think I have plenty of power available to give my center channel (2Ex) something close to it's maximum power capability (150 watts) and be able to achieve something close to my maximum volume (86 - 12 + 21.x = 95.x dB; should be PLENTY loud for me, personally, as I'm not a rock-concert-super-loud-sort-of-guy).

I think it's possible, though, that *only* having 250 watts total and trying to drive all 5 channels, particularly with this center channel (sensitivity a bit lower than ideal), put me into a place where I didn't have enough power to take my system to where I tried to take it last night? That the power demand from the front 3, combined, was too much for this Denon at this volume, for a high-peak-y situation of a loud action scene? If I offload the power demand of my Front Towers, would that allow for that 250 watt "pool" from my denon to allocate now to *just* the center and the rears? If my thinking is right on this, 250 watts seems to be quite sufficient for that scenario, when the rears probably aren't much of a load, and the center shouldn't be getting fed more than 150 watts continuous anyway, and if I know myself, I don't want to play my center channel louder than 95 dB anyway, and all is well...

That's the general thinking I had. If power isn't "pooled and allocated" like that, that's what I want to know before I spend $$$...
One thing I forgot to mention. I was unable to get my Denon 2312 to go into protect mode with the B&W 683 S2 speakers once I clipped a 6” $15 fan behind the receiver that I would turn on for my infrequent high volume listening sessions. The handful of times that it did go into protect mode it was very hot, but it never got very hot with the small fan running. I’m sure you know that there are much higher end cooling options that you can put on top of the receiver and either vent to the front or the back depending on your cabinet configuration.

I’m still sold on outboard amps at this point though, especially when there are solid good performance options like the Outlaw 2200 monoblocks at a very reasonable price. For people who need more than 2 or 3 channels of amplification I can see where they may want to consider multiple channel outboard amps for space reasons alone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks, guys.

If you are still thinking about this, I use a Parasound 2125V2 with my Sierra 2EX with my Denon X4200W. https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2125V2

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If you are still thinking about this, I use a Parasound 2125V2 with my Sierra 2EX with my Denon X4200W. https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2125V2
I am. It happened again last night.

What center channel are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking at a Marantz mm7025 (2-channel) and mm-7055 (5-channel) off Accessories4Less. I could save $300 if I feel confident that off-loading only 2-channels for the Front Towers is all I need to survive the peaks/spikes in loud action scenes... I worry that my center (2EX with a sideways Ribbon), with 5-6 dB lower sensitivity, is contributing significantly to the load and 2-channel amp might not be enough.

Both amps appear to be basically essentially the same, other than the 2-channel vs. 5-channel aspect (140 wpc, 2-channels-driven, into 8 ohms with 0.08% THD; Class-AB; etc).

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts

I have 2's across the front and a Horizon center with a Denon 4300 (I use a cooler guys fan for it - really helps). Three Outlaw monoblocks carry the load for the 3 front speakers, the Denon handles the other 8. The Outlaw amps are great, easy to stack, 200 watts/per channel, and run extremely cool. Never a problem and though its probably unnecessary, a little extra headroom and knowing I've reduced the load on my receiver is comforting :)

Reactions: psuKinger

·
Registered
163 Posts

I'm looking at a Marantz mm7025 (2-channel) and mm-7055 (5-channel) off Accessories4Less. I could save $300 if I feel confident that off-loading only 2-channels for the Front Towers is all I need to survive the peaks/spikes in loud action scenes... I worry that my center (2EX with a sideways Ribbon), with 5-6 dB lower sensitivity, is contributing significantly to the load and 2-channel amp might not be enough.

Both amps appear to be basically essentially the same, other than the 2-channel vs. 5-channel aspect (140 wpc, 2-channels-driven, into 8 ohms with 0.08% THD; Class-AB; etc).
My setup: Sierra 2EX, Horizon Center with Raal, and Sierra 1 for surrounds.

If you find that the center channel is causing the problem even with the amp, you could always run that Parasound amp mono in bridged mode. You could also return the amp. Audio Advisor has a 30 day return window.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thanks folks. I pulled the trigger. I stepped up to the bigger (5-channel) Marantz model (mm7055). I think my first attempt will be with just driving the front Towers on the new amp and leaving the center and rears on the Denon... but at the encouragement of this board, it just made sense to spend a little bit more and give me the flexability to try all-front-3 if need by.

It should be here by Friday, so I think I'll get to play with it this weekend....

6241 - 6260 of 6347 Posts