AVS Forum banner

6861 - 6872 of 6872 Posts

·
Registered
Monolith HTP, Oppo 205, Monolith 465T (2), Wharfedale CS, 4.2 (2), 4.1 (2), SVS Prime Elevation (4)
49 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Is there a trick or something I'm overlooking when I use makeMKV? My Auro discs that I burn have no audio.
I've never tried burning any, just dumping and playing with KODI. Generally speaking, they're wrapped in the DTS-HD MA tracks, usually the 2nd track on the disc. In this case, it's the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track not the 5.1 version (which is the regular 5.1 soundtrack). There's a certain irony in that the movie advertises "5.1 DTS" on the back when the Auro-3D track has a 7.1 DTS-HD MA base track (because it's Auro 13.1).

Short Review of Honest Thief in Auro-3D 13.1

So the good news is that the movie is in Auro 13.1 (the last one I bought, The Game with Michael Douglas was also 13.1) with the aforementioned 7.1 base track. The bad news is that the movie, like The Game, isn't exactly a surround extravaganza regardless. It's one of those movies that is front heavy and sparse on the surround effects except during action scenes where it's still nowhere near as good as it could have been.

As I mentioned in an above post, the movie is REGION B LOCKED so you'll need either a region-free player or a dump of the movie with MakeMKV to play with a media player (removes region code) and/or re-burn afterward if you don't live in Europe. I used KODI to play it.

The height channels mostly do ambience and music (ironically the best overhead and probably even surround effects were during the music in the credits sequence if you can believe it as someone actually seemed to care about mixing that into the surround channels). Car movement, gun shots, etc. goes to the sides (not sure if it goes further with the rears engaged since my decoder is 10.1 only for Auro, although I guess I could have tried out the Auro-2D mode which does use them on Auro 13.1 tracks or the regular DTS 7.1 base with Neural X or whatever). I also didn't try out the 5.1 tracks. I might later.

The movie didn't have any real discrete effects overhead, but then there wasn't really any scenes that suggested anything in particular aboe either (no helicopters for example), except some explosions might have used it more distinctly. Overall, I'd rate the surround usage in general as on the poor side of average and pretty disappointing in general for a 13.1 track on a newer movie. In short, I don't know that it's really worth bothering to get the Auro-3D version and that's kind of sad. Even DOMINO had better surround use (some distinct overhead effects in that one).

In terms of the movie itself, it's OK, maybe one step at most above a decent made for TV movie, IMO. The plot was somewhat unusual and yet fairly predictable at the same time. Basically, it revolves around a bank robber that meets a girl, falls in love and wants to go straight so their relationship can be honest and go forward and Liam Neeson's character knows he's going to have to do some jail time. But upon attempting to turn himself in, things go very very wrong. I don't want to give away plot surprises for those that still want to watch it. It's not terrible, but It's not going to win any awards, IMO. While I'd rate the surround usage similar to The Game with Michael Douglas, that was a much better movie overall, IMO, especially for the first viewing.

·
Registered
Monolith HTP, Oppo 205, Monolith 465T (2), Wharfedale CS, 4.2 (2), 4.1 (2), SVS Prime Elevation (4)
49 Posts
I've never tried burning any, just dumping and playing with KODI. Generally speaking, they're wrapped in the DTS-HD MA tracks, usually the 2nd track on the disc. In this case, it's the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track not the 5.1 version (which is the regular 5.1 soundtrack). There's a certain irony in that the movie advertises "5.1 DTS" on the back when the Auro-3D track has a 7.1 DTS-HD MA base track (because it's Auro 13.1).

So the good news is that the movie is in Auro 13.1 (the last one I bought, The Game with Michael Douglas was also 13.1) with the aforementioned 7.1 base track. The bad news is that the movie, like The Game, isn't exactly a surround extravaganza regardless. It's one of those movies that is front heavy and sparse on the surround effects except during action scenes where it's still nowhere near as good as it could have been.

As I mentioned in an above post, the movie is REGION B LOCKED so you'll need either a region-free player or a dump of the movie with MakeMKV to play with a media player (removes region code) and/or re-burn afterward if you don't live in Europe. I used KODI to play it.

The height channels mostly do ambience and music (ironically the best overhead and probably even surround effects were during the music in the credits sequence if you can believe it as someone actually seemed to care about mixing that into the surround channels). Car movement, gun shots, etc. goes to the sides (not sure if it goes further with the rears engaged since my decoder is 10.1 only for Auro, although I guess I could have tried out the Auro-2D mode which does use them on Auro 13.1 tracks or the regular DTS 7.1 base with Neural X or whatever). I also didn't try out the 5.1 tracks. I might later.

The movie didn't have any real discrete effects overhead, but then there wasn't really any scenes that suggested anything in particular aboe either (no helicopters for example), except some explosions might have used it more distinctly. Overall, I'd rate the surround usage in general as on the poor side of average and pretty disappointing in general for a 13.1 track on a newer movie. In short, I don't know that it's really worth bothering to get the Auro-3D version and that's kind of sad. Even DOMINO had better surround use (some distinct overhead effects in that one).

In terms of the movie itself, it's OK, maybe one step at most above a decent made for TV movie, IMO. The plot was somewhat unusual and yet fairly predictable at the same time. Basically, it revolves around a bank robber that meets a girl, falls in love and wants to go straight so their relationship can be honest and go forward and Liam Neeson's character knows he's going to have to do some jail time. But upon attempting to turn himself in, things go very very wrong. I don't want to give away plot surprises for those that still want to watch it. It's not terrible, but It's not going to win any awards, IMO. While I'd rate the surround usage similar to The Game with Michael Douglas, that was a much better movie overall, IMO, especially for the first viewing.
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to stick with my region free Oppo for now to hear Auro 3D until I stumble on the way to rip an auro 3D track to my Zappiti hard drive.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Is there a trick or something I'm overlooking when I use makeMKV? My Auro discs that I burn have no audio.
NO audio at all or just missing Auro?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

Sounds a bit disappointing but thank you for sharing. The Game at least had a few discrete effects and Domino did make use of the heights a fair bit (Even though it is very front biased).

·
Registered
49 Posts
NO audio at all or just missing Auro?
Curiously no audio at all. My standard 4K, Blu-Ray and regular DVD's all rip as expected but not my Auro ones (including my two Auro Demo discs) for some reason.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Sounds a bit disappointing but thank you for sharing. The Game at least had a few discrete effects and Domino did make use of the heights a fair bit (Even though it is very front biased).
Well, I could definitely hear the overhead speakers doing some ambient things with reflections/echoes from sounds happening below and a lot of music was overhead, but there aren't any planes or helicopters or whatever even in the movie to expect overhead, but I think they could have had some stuff do a bit more during explosions and the like. But the movie was front biased similar to how The Game was, overall, although there are definitely some car and gunshots going off in the surround speakers in key scenes, etc. The bass is decent too. It's not a terrible soundtrack, but it's not a demo worthy one either, especially for direct overhead sounds.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's very curious, I've ripped a number of Auro disc's and never had a problem. First pass through makeMKV to decrypt and then through DVD Audio to rip the files. No issues at all?

·
Registered
504 Posts
"Honest Thief" with Liam Neeson in Auro-3D has arrived from the Netherlands. It got here pretty quick. I'm still waiting for Kraftwerk 3D box set I ordered Feb 6th from the UK....
I’m ordering Kraftwerk as well, if I can find one.

I still have my Cassette of the Kraftwerk: Man Machine. Something I will hold onto forever I suspect. 😀 Numbers like The model, Metropolis, the robots...imho are immortal/timeless wonders. I’m quite sure they inspired contemporary groups like Daftpunk etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's very curious, I've ripped a number of Auro disc's and never had a problem. First pass through makeMKV to decrypt and then through DVD Audio to rip the files. No issues at all?
I will look into DVD Audio, thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m ordering Kraftwerk as well, if I can find one.

I still have my Cassette of the Kraftwerk: Man Machine. Something I will hold onto forever I suspect. 😀 Numbers like The model, Metropolis, the robots...imho are immortal/timeless wonders. I’m quite sure they inspired contemporary groups like Daftpunk etc.
Hello !
I am from France and a big fan of Kraftwerk, living near the border I heard the song AUTOBAN on a German radio when I was 10 years old in 1974 and my father had recorded it on his big tape recorder every time. once he replayed AUTOBAN it's almost like I'm going into trance and then I've always followed the mainstream of electronic music and it's true that Kraftwerk has inspired a lot of bands and DJs over the past 40 years.
I have the bluray from Kraftwerk 3D but it is not in Auro 3d only in Dolby Atmos, but it is fantastic in Dolby Atmos.
I am also a big fan of Auro 3D, I have a 14.2 configuration in Auro 3d because the StormAudio ISP24 MK2 configures the 2 top middle Dolby Atmos in 2x automatic VOG for Auro 3D.
A bientôt

6861 - 6872 of 6872 Posts