AVS Forum banner

18921 - 18931 of 18931 Posts

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Too bad Winegard no longer manufactures its 8800 UHF 8bay antenna. It is reportedly better optimized for the new repack frequencies on lower UHF. I can attest it is a strong performer and glad I still have one available to use. Does very well with fringe signals I have on RF18 and RF19. It can also pull in High VHF in strong signal areas. But most of their legacy antennas are no longer made, although they do have some of the combo antennas for High VHF and UHF. Maybe some company could consider redesigning for the new repack spectrum.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Too bad Winegard no longer manufactures its 8800 UHF 8bay antenna. It is reportedly better optimized for the new repack frequencies on lower UHF. I can attest it is a strong performer and glad I still have one available to use. Does very well with fringe signals I have on RF18 and RF19. It can also pull in High VHF in strong signal areas. But most of their legacy antennas are no longer made, although they do have some of the combo antennas for High VHF and UHF. Maybe some company could consider redesigning for the new repack spectrum.
That's interesting, I'm starting to experiment with the HD 8800 right now and bought two of them from Summit source about two weeks ago we just put them together. Everybody I talk to claims it's not a good at performer as the HD primer claims. Also I can tell you it's fairly flimsy. Mainly in the elements. The way they fold up are difficult to get them to lock without bending them and then they don't lock.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I find it interesting that the box says:
The pattern scale for the 2435 isn't marked; the difference probably isn't that great.

That might make a difference.
That's OK; it's a zero voltage point in the top half-wave section. It will help to protect the front end of your FM tuner from static discharge if the mast is grounded.

It looks very much like holl-ands'.
FM Double-Hoop H-POL OMNI
An Omni sacrifices gain for an omni pattern. If you need more gain in a certain direction, you will have to use a Yagi.

Sounds like it's doing OK.
I bought this antenna to try to get a more distant but "local" station. It seems I made a mistake in not getting a directional one. It's just indoors right now and I noticed my rabbit ears basically get more stations than it on my older receivers. I tried on my newer receiver across the house and I noticed it indeed did work, cleaned up some nearer stations for zero static. Before I had to keep changing the rabbit ears for certain stations to get rid of the static. As for the more distant station, it did nothing to clean it up.

I did learn something though, the side of the house where it did nothing I have my computer setup, my breaker is right below and my AC unit is across the wall, outside. The other side of the house, it worked. I'm assuming there was a LOT of interference. Now I'm thinking that installing it outside in the clear might actually get me that station. It's around 50 miles away.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I FINALLY got my second antenna mast up on the house so I'm trying to decide how I can maximize my chances of picking up WUNL.

For a while now,my evil plan was to try combining two Stellar Labs 30-237 as I already have one and from what I've read, vertically stacking them should make them reject the signals out of Roanoke more.

I assume everyone forgot but I live in Christiansburg, VA so WUNL is essentially due south and the stations in Roanoke are essentially East. WUNL is weak and there are several strong stations in Roanoke that are frequency adjacent.

Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I FINALLY got my second antenna mast up on the house so I'm trying to decide how I can maximize my chances of picking up WUNL.

For a while now,my evil plan was to try combining two Stellar Labs 30-237 as I already have one and from what I've read, vertically stacking them should make them reject the signals out of Roanoke more.

I assume everyone forgot but I live in Christiansburg, VA so WUNL is essentially due south and the stations in Roanoke are essentially East. WUNL is weak and there are several strong stations in Roanoke that are frequency adjacent.

Will you be using a preamp? And do you receive any of the other Greensboro stations?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ch12 comes in great but I have little interest in the programming on that channel.

I have a KT200 here but I'm honestly starting to wonder if I somehow got a dud as any time I put it inline with basically anything, things just get worse.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ch12 comes in great but I have little interest in the programming on that channel.

I have a KT200 here but I'm honestly starting to wonder if I somehow got a dud as any time I put it inline with basically anything, things just get worse.
It could simply be pre-amping your channels to too high a signal level. However, IF you have a meter, check the power inserter for 12 volts dc output. Make SURE it's there, as it's a possible it's defective. You also can't have anything between the power inserter and the preamp, UNLESS whatever it is is "power-passing". Many splitters will NOT pass power, but others will. Those ones will be marked as to power passing, and what leg they do so.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Hello again, Prototype3a. I see you are still trying for WUNL. I rate it as very difficult, but perhaps not impossible.

For others trying to help Prototype3a, here is some background information, starting with a recent signal report:
RabbitEars.Info

As you can see, WUNL on RF33 has adjacent channel interference from W32EW on 32 and WSLS on 34. WSLS is 76 dB stronger than WUNL and W32EW is 52 dB stronger than WUNL. A tuner is not expected to be able to reject adjacent channel interference any greater than 33 dB.

In an earlier post Prototype3a mentioned that he was able to receive WUNL when his house shielded his antenna from the very strong local channels.
The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic!
My issue is that I'm trying to pick up a weak signal in a sea of strong ones. I found that I could get it with the antenna in the yard but not on the roof of the house. So my theory has been that the house is shielding the antenna from all the "noise" from the stronger stations in the other direction.
Using a very directional antenna will make the local channels much weaker when the antenna is aimed at WUNL, but that might not be enough attenuation of the local signals.

I think that horizontal stacking will give a more directional beam than vertical stacking, but that also might not be enough. An extreme solution, if he can't again use the house as a shield, would be to put one Yagi with a preamp in a shielded enclosure to reject as much of the local signals as possible, like this:

NaivarA-G Ant3_2.jpg

However, there will still be reflections of the local signals from objects in front of the antenna.

Your location is in a dead spot for WUNL:

Prototype3aAVScovWUNL_1.jpg

The terrain blocks the direct signal:

Prototype3aAVSp3WUNL.jpg

Using different terrain profile software:

Prototype3aAVSp2WUNL..JPG

As I said, difficult but perhaps not impossible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Using the house as a shield isn't a "long term" solution as it would have to be cantilevered pretty far out to "look around the corner" of the house and still be shielded. We're talking about a ~10ft horizontal mast or so...

I remember someone linking to something about connecting the two antennas with a tuned loop of coax or something along those lines....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Using the house as a shield isn't a "long term" solution as it would have to be cantilevered pretty far out to "look around the corner" of the house and still be shielded. We're talking about a ~10ft horizontal mast or so...
If you reject all possible solutions without trying them, you will still have the problem.
I remember someone linking to something about connecting the two antennas with a tuned loop of coax or something along those lines....
That sounds like a 1/4 wave stub to attenuate a signal causing interference. On the Canadian forum, majortom has done some experiments like that.
ON - Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Brantford, Haldimand

Splitters, Attenuators, Filters, Diplexers, Other Signal...

Even a Tin Lee filter engineer would have a difficult time designing a filter for WUNL.
Tin Lee Electronics :: Home

18921 - 18931 of 18931 Posts