AVS Forum banner
9921 - 9940 of 19876 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 /forum/post/18820635

i looked at a lot of digital recorders. Did you look at tivo? They have a new system that you can pay once and never pay again for ota...too bad it's over $800+. Dvd/dvrs pretty much seem to suck, lack of hard drive space or guide data or reliability. I looked high and low to find exactly what i wanted...and dtv pal is it!

Yes, i have to buy a newspaper on sundays and get the tv guide the old fashioned way. Yes, i miss things when a sporting event goes long and messes up tv schedules. Yes, it's not perfect. Wtf dude, it's no monthly fee!!! It's high def! It's cool! 95% of the world doesn't know something like this even exists.

I love my dtv pal and i would hate to pay a monthly fee for satellite or cable again.

With respect.

+1

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
It's not perfect - but it's not bad - especially if your area has a good provider of TVGOS (I'm in one). And you can upgrade it yourself from 250 GB to 1TB.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was at Sears today buying my third Pal before they are gone. These boxes offer quite a bunch for 150.00.

Back in the day when that Samsung SIRT151 was on the shelves (2002 - 2004), they cost around 279.00, and that is a single HDTV tuner with no recording ability.

Unbelievable value in these Pal boxes.

Oh and Sears in the Danbury Fair Mall in Danbury CT has 3 left on the shelf.

182ish after extended warranty and taxes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphelle /forum/post/18821166

I have 2 of these that have been flawless since f208. I've watched this thread since the beginning and am very thankful to the pioneers who offered their technical skills, experimentation, and time, to reveal the wonders and limitations of this plastic box... You show up to the party late, ask and graciously receive answers to your concerns about the product, and the one time you can offer something in return to the forum, you decide to withhold it until someone strokes you. So yeah, that's my definition of a tool.

I explained you mis-understood yet you still are acting foolish. I helped many so far and more today. You have 9 posts and that SIR is a definition of a leach.

That quote was not directed toward you or anyone else but the rude fellow. But I guess you need an education to understand that statement?

Your 100% out of line

Now I am done talking about this Mr. 9 posts. What have you done to help anyone here? I saw your other posts. Answer is nothing.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/18819875

The success of a name-based recorder totally depends on the accuracy and reliability of the guide data feeding it. A name-based DTVPal DVR using PSIP and/or TVGOS would be a joke.

Do you own one of these machines yet? I had a Sony name-based recorder using TVGOS and never had any issues. As far as the TVGOS service in my area, it is just as good as the guide I get through my Windows 7 media center DVR.

So, I will disagree and say that name based can work with TVGOS if implemented correctly.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 /forum/post/18809163

No, I know where there is a small bunch.

But If I do not get a PM courtesy reply. I do nada

Just wondering, In case I ask for your 'help'.... Do you have any other demands ?

·
Registered
13,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/18822254

Do you own one of these machines yet? I had a Sony name-based recorder using TVGOS and never had any issues. As far as the TVGOS service in my area, it is just as good as the guide I get through my Windows 7 media center DVR.

So, I will disagree and say that name based can work with TVGOS if implemented correctly.

No, I do not. The current DTVPal DVR simply doesn't meet my criteria for functionality/reliability at any price. This is based on reading posts from DTVPal DVR owners in the Philly Metro area. Apparently digital TVGOS here is as unreliable on the Pal DVR as many others find it to be. I can understand the growing pains, but it has been a year now since the analog shut down. For 5 years I used a Panasonic E-85 with analog TVGOS and it was rock stable; I always had 8 days of data for all the OTA channels I received. Had the E-85 used a name-based scheduler, it would have worked fine given the stability of the analog guide. Why is it taking so long to get their act together for digital TVGOS.

It's a shame, really. The Pal DVR would have been a nice unit for the bedroom TV; I don't really need a second TiVo for it. Once the clearance of the Pal DVR is over and people have to start buying the CM-7000 DVR, I'm waiting to read the feed back. Although I don't expect anything different, I'm curious to see if they have improved the handling of d-TVGOS glitches. After all, there have been a number of people with Pal DVRs and Sony TVs who have reported full guide data on their Sony while the Pal DVR is missing substantial portions.

So, I wait and watch and keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/18823168

No, I do not. The current DTVPal DVR simply doesn't meet my criteria for functionality/reliability at any price. This is based on reading posts from DTVPal DVR owners in the Philly Metro area. Apparently digital TVGOS here is as unreliable on the Pal DVR as many others find it to be. I can understand the growing pains, but it has been a year now since the analog shut down. For 5 years I used a Panasonic E-85 with analog TVGOS and it was rock stable; I always had 8 days of data for all the OTA channels I received. Had the E-85 used a name-based scheduler, it would have worked fine given the stability of the analog guide. Why is it taking so long to get their act together for digital TVGOS.

Just to clarify: here in the Philly area, digital TVGOS itself has become quite stable and reliable over the past year or so, as evidenced by nearly perfect 8-day guide data on my Sony DHG-HDD250. I say nearly because, for example, this past Wednesday they labeled the first of two hours of America's Got Talent as New, when in fact it was a rerun. So there will always be some human error sneaking through.

As far as the TVGOS implementation on the DTVPal DVR is concerned, it is flawed in some way in all areas of the country, as noted on Page 1. Here in Philly, it shows TVGOS guide listings (not nearly as comprehensive as the Sony's) for KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WPHL (including ThisTV), WTXF (FOX), WYBE (35.1 only), and WPSG. It fails to show TVGOS guide listings for WHYY (PBS), WNJS (PBS), and WPPX (ION) in spite of the fact that ROVI/TVGOS is providing data for these channels (again, as evidenced by the Sony DVR.) Elsewhere in the country, it has been reported that listings for FOX affiliates are missing.

A related Pal DVR flaw is that periodically (maybe every 3-6 months), it suddenly stops receiving TVGOS listings and they won't come back without a doing a factory reset or some other form of manual intervention.

So Dish and/or Channel Master aren't "taking so long to get their act together for digital TVGOS"; the sad fact is that it seems they actually have no interest in fixing these flaws.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well it turns out that the Roanoke Sears had them after all for $149.00. After spending well over an hour on the phone trying to locate one on the east coast (really). I went through it all, customer service, outlet stores ect.

It turns out they don't know what the heck they are doing as far as locating their own merchandise except seemingly the salesman at the Garden City NewYork Sears. I'm on the phone talking with this guy and he pecks around and says yeah we have a couple. OK good I say can you ship it to me? Yes was his reply and he goes on to say "shipping" is $65. Steep but I do it because it is still a good price. Well last night my wife and I are at the mall for something unrelated and I wander down to Sears for the heck of it, and I'm the electronics dept. not expecting to see anything and what do I find on the shelf but 3 TVpals, well crap!
So I pick one up to buy with the intent of canceling my "New York" order to recoup the "shipping" cost.

I relate all this to the Roanoke salesman who stands there shaking his head in confusion, especially the $65 shipping, when another sales guy comes up and says "oh yeah we pulled one of those yesterday for delivery". A lightbulb goes off on these guys and they ask how I paid for the first one, which was by cc so he brings up the sales order for the one that was pulled for delivery and low and behold it was my order??!!
Uh, yeah, the 65 bucks wasn't for shipping it was for it to be delivered! So the whole time I was thinking this guy in New York had pulled it off the shelf there and was gonna UPS it to little 'ol me here in Virginia, nope he just knew where to look and saw in one inventory here and made the sale through my local Sears. Naturally I canceled that order

In all my efforts the only store where I didn't talk directly to the guy on the sales floor was here in Roanoke (my mistake). And in the whole time Sears had supposed to have been selling these they had never been on the shelf here and I and checked quite a few times. Quite a ride but it all turned out well.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 /forum/post/18823791

As far as the TVGOS implementation on the DTVPal DVR is concerned, it is flawed in some way in all areas of the country, as noted on Page 1. . .

A related Pal DVR flaw is that periodically (maybe every 3-6 months), it suddenly stops receiving TVGOS listings and they won't come back without a doing a factory reset or some other form of manual intervention.

So Dish and/or Channel Master aren't "taking so long to get their act together for digital TVGOS"; the sad fact is that it seems they actually have no interest in fixing these flaws.

That is pretty much the type of Philly metro data I was thinking of when I said the Pal DVR doesn't meet my criteria of functionality/reliability at any price. The flaw appears to clearly be within the Pal DVR, but there are people who post flawless operation of TVGOS with the Pal DVR in their area. I'll just wait to see the feedback on the CM-7000PAL DVR.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoore /forum/post/18823985

In all my efforts the only store where I didn't talk directly to the guy on the sales floor was here in Roanoke (my mistake). And in the whole time Sears had supposed to have been selling these they had never been on the shelf here and I and checked quite a few times.

And I said to myself, if the guy in Vinton can't find one there is no reason for me to call. He certainly checked the Roanoke locations. So I called NY... Did you have to talk to the salesman to cancel the order??

·
Registered
753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/18823168

.... For 5 years I used a Panasonic E-85 with analog TVGOS and it was rock stable; I always had 8 days of data for all the OTA channels I received. Had the E-85 used a name-based scheduler, it would have worked fine given the stability of the analog guide. ....

I think this has been discussed before but if you like the E-85, don't put it in the closet, find a PAL+ and hook it up so the E-85 can control it. Mine works great BUT the TVGOS stream that it uses to convert to analog is even worse than the normal digital stream in terms of channel coverage. I don't get the local PBS or NBC stations but get data for stations in the surrounding markets.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 /forum/post/18825418

And I said to myself, if the guy in Vinton can't find one there is no reason for me to call. He certainly checked the Roanoke locations. So I called NY... Did you have to talk to the salesman to cancel the order??

No not the one in Ney York, all he had done was to sell it through the Roanoke store, so I assume, that was how the local salesguy was able to cancel the order. What irked me was the New York guy knew where I was calling from and didn't bother to tell me that it was coming from the store here! Whats wrong with this picture? All I can say is if you want to be sure don't bother with customer service, all that they are doing is looking at a computer screen. Ask to speak directly to the sales person in the department you are interested in so that he/she can physically check the shelf or stockroom for what you need. Like I said as of 9pm lastnight they still had 5

·
Registered
13,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 /forum/post/18825870

I think this has been discussed before but if you like the E-85, don't put it in the closet, find a PAL+ and hook it up so the E-85 can control it. Mine works great BUT the TVGOS stream that it uses to convert to analog is even worse than the normal digital stream in terms of channel coverage. I don't get the local PBS or NBC stations but get data for stations in the surrounding markets.

The E-85 was great but like all DVD recorders, it's only SD. When I bought my 50" plasma and saw how disgusting OTA analog looked I put a CM-7000 CECB on the E-85 (better PQ because of S-Video output) and used it like that with the IR blaster for 7 months. It finally got to the point where I wanted to timeshift in HD and the Pal DVR was still vaporware so I bought a TiVo HD and put the E-85 on a shelf.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just saw this listed on Amazon.com with a beginning sale date of July 26th, 2010.

never mind, I found my answer - while it's got a digital tuner, it doesn't mention any HD capabilities.

I was hoping it was a closer match to the DTVPal DVR.

Sorry to mention it now... :-(

·
Registered
13,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibentruitt /forum/post/18829496

I just saw this listed on Amazon.com with a beginning sale date of July 26th, 2010.

never mind, I found my answer - while it's got a digital tuner, it doesn't mention any HD capabilities.

I was hoping it was a closer match to the DTVPal DVR.

Sorry to mention it now... :-(

No HD, SD/2.0 only. It's just a basic DVD recorder.

9921 - 9940 of 19876 Posts