AVS Forum banner

19641 - 19660 of 19803 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well, I went ahead and tried a few things on my spare Dish 20.1 IR (genuine):
1. I tried all 18 of the Sony codes, and not a one had any IR output when the * button was pressed. Fail
2. I tried Sony code 500, then followed the instructions for learning from a recalled device:
Press and hold TV button until all buttons light, then release (TV stays lit)
Press and release RECALL (TV blinks off then on again)
Press and hold RECORD until TV button comes back on
Press and release * button on Dish 20.1
Press and hold * button on original DTVPal remote
See single blink confirmation on TV button
Press TV button to end learning
Lo-and-behold, the 20.1 IR * key now cycles through sleep modes!

If this isn't working for you, perhaps you don't have the 2 remotes positioned correctly relative to each other, or are not Pressing and HOLDing the * button on the original DTVPal remote until the TV button blinks. If the TV button blinks 3 times instead of once, just try the two-button sequence over again until you get a single blink on the TV button. Then be sure to do that last step (Press TV button) to extinguish it and save the learned button.
Thanks
"Press and """"hold"""" * button on original DTVPalremote"
That's what I missed.

Before I try this; what is a "recalled device"?
I only have the Pal & the Dish remotes. You say no output is generated for the * button, so this won't work.... right? Without a recalled device?

Sorry I'm confused...

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Before I try this; what is a "recalled device"?
Just means you're starting with a code for a device (Sony TV in this case) and adding/updating some functions, instead of learning every button from scratch (as you would when no code works at all).
I only have the Pal & the Dish remotes. You say no output is generated for the * button, so this won't work.... right?
The way I read it, @frank70 first tried every Sony code in the manual to set up his 20.1. But when he pressed * on the 20.1, it didn't do anything no matter which Sony code he used.

But then he taught the 20.1 the * function from his Pal remote (which was presumably already set up for a Sony TV), and the * button on the 20.1 started working!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The PSIP guide is transmitted OTA along with the program content and typically only supplies about 24 hours of information (at the whim of the station). Lately it seems that, in spite of FCC mandates to the contrary, many stations provide far less and some none at all (for some or all of their subchannels). Of course, there is the occasional outstanding station that provides several DAYS of program guide in its PSIP, but those are rare.
I called one of the Detroit stations that wasn't providing even 10 hours in advance, and mentioned the FCC, and the woman I spoke to said there was no rule they had to follow. But about a month later, they extended it by a few more hours, which is good enough for me to set the timer for 11 pm when I'm watching TV at 1 pm. So, it never hurts to ask programming at local stations to fix things.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I called one of the Detroit stations that wasn't providing even 10 hours in advance, and mentioned the FCC, and the woman I spoke to said there was no rule they had to follow.
47 CFR 73.682(d) requires that stations (low power stations are exempt) follow various ATSC standards including A/65. Section 5.1 of A/65 requires that the first 4 EITs be present. These span 3 hours so that translates to 12 hours, more or less, of schedule data being required.

On the other hand, the FCC doesn't seem to have much interest in enforcing these standards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been playing with remotes since one of mine had a number of keys go bad. Weird part was it had not been used in months since that DVR had been unhooked. First remote I bought off Ebay also had a number of keys that would not work. Seller did not believe me so I did video for her. Told her I had just experienced the same issue with one of my own. Everything worked last time but now multiple problems.

I knew about 20.1 remotes but wanted one that looked like my current remote. Bought a new 8.0. Fooled with it a lot but could not get the DTVPAL to recognize it.

Then I bought three 20.1 remotes. Two were DISH remotes and one was the clone from China. Learned a little lesson on the cheap clone. You cannot program it to run multiple DTVPALs. It works only on Channel 01. With the one I bought, that fact was in the details but I missed it.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Learned a little lesson on the cheap clone. You cannot program it to run multiple DTVPALs. It works only on Channel 01. With the one I bought, that fact was in the details but I missed it.
Why not just program it from a remote that’s already been switched to channel 2?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why not just program it from a remote that’s already been switched to channel 2?
I have no idea how to do that and would not be surprised if it was not possible. This clone already has other limitations. I got it to run my Samsung TV but could not get it to do anything with my Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
On genuine Dish remote controls, the "Sat" or "Pal" button cannot learn - it's hard-coded to operate Dish devices - but it can be set to any address (01-16). I assume the Sat button on the clone is fixed at device 01.

On a genuine Dish remote, "Aux" can also be set to a Dish device by preceding the desired address with a '3' (e.g., 302 = Dish device with address 02), so you can control two Dish devices with one remote. Don't know if the Aux button on the clone can be set to a Dish device at all, but if it can, presumably it would support other addresses the same way. (There wouldn't be much point in programming it to Dish device 01 if the Sat button is stuck on device 01 too.)

The TV, DVD, and Aux device buttons can learn. Presumably that's true on the clone too, although the clone may have limited memory for learning. So presumably one could teach the DVD or Aux button on the clone to operate a Dish device on another address. You'd have to teach from a genuine Dish 20.1 or DTVPal remote set to the desired address. Also, you'd have to teach every button, so "limited memory" might be a problem.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I've been playing with remotes since one of mine had a number of keys go bad. ...
When one of my remotes start having intermittent or bad keys, I take it apart and clean the little black button contact pads and circuit board surface with some 91% alcohol and paper towel. Just had to do that with one of my remotes today. (A 20.1 remote that takes 4 AAA batteries) The "SAT" button quit working which operates the DTVPal. Cleaning restored it to like-new key response.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Be careful cleaning those rubber pads. I got too aggressive with mine with a Q-Tip, and I think I removed too much of the conductive coating.
Now I have to push the buttons real hard to get them to work.

Does anybody know of any conductive "paint" or something ?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Be careful cleaning those rubber pads. I got too aggressive with mine with a Q-Tip, and I think I removed too much of the conductive coating.

https://www.amazon.com/CaiKot-Conductive-Silver-Coating-surfaces/dp/B003D8G8SY/ref=asc_df_B003D8G8SY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198084548301&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16245288216465879034&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027830&hvtargid=pla-349361517250&psc=1

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

Usually I just wet the back of the keys and the surface of the pc board and pat dry with a paper towel, which will also clean off the oily stuff that often seems to ooze out from the keypad rubber. Rubbing back-and-forth across can remove some of the conductive pad.

Seems those restoration kits are temporary at best, although I see a different one now by "Buttonworx" that has new contact pads that gets pretty good reviews. A little surprised the Caig CaiKot product reviews are so poor, being as they are the company that brings us the famous Deoxit contact cleaner.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Checking this morning I see that my local ION station (WPXR) is indicating that DST begins tomorrow. Since PSIP data for all ION stations is generated from a central location, I assume this applies to the entire country.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Station KTXD in DFW just started channel sharing: their signal is hosting not only their own channels (47.1-47.5), but also 49.2 and 49.3 from station KSTR. My DTVPal won't recognize 49.2 or 49.3 even though 47.1-47.5 work fine.

Is anyone successfully tuning all the channels from a channel-sharing station with their DTVPal? There are several stations around the country doing this now, and there will be more as spectrum repacking and ATSC 3.0 conversion continue.

19641 - 19660 of 19803 Posts