AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post all comments here, thanks.

AND THEY'RE OFF!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think the PIP for non-HD content is a ok temporary solution, but hopefully in the future they will have more HD cameras for these events. I switched to the SD channel and the PIP was in full screen.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great!

It's Derby Day, the sky is blue, the grass is green, the people are pretty and life is good.

- Nicely integrating the SD in windows with the HD.

- No 5.1 on NBC in Detroit, Boston or HDNet.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
I'm a bit confused. My NBC affiliate seems to be showing a 4:3 upconvert inside 16:9 of what HDNET is showing in the SD window. Is this what everyone else is seeing also or did my station fail to switch to NBC's HD feed?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That's what I'm seeing too. I think HDNET does not have the rights to NBC's standard feed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The key question is what the local stations will broadcast in HD? My understanding was that they would use HDNet's HD feed, similar to the Olympics. Will the race be in HD? I hope our affiliate doesn't fall asleep at the switch!

I'm trying to call them now. I hope others do the same.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just spoke with the Master Control Room at WXIA, and they said that their information from NBC indicated that it would *not* be available in HD and that they could do anything to make this happen.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Sorry for the intrusion of local problems into this thread. The HD feed on HDNet is a treat. Fortunately, they have fabulous weather this year. To be able to see those beautiful horses up close in HD, oh my. Thank you Mark Cuban!!! Thank you NBC!!!

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Craig, try directing them to the NBC press release on the HDNet web site.

It's on NBC affiliates in Boston, Detroit and on HDNet, all in glorious 1080i.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great pics from WRC in D.C, No 5.1 but some great feedback squeals when switching to some commercials!.

WBAL in Baltimore also has HD again with no 5.1. Great pictures.

I love HD!

·
Registered
938 Posts
The shots of the track and the hoofprints of the horses as they're walking to the gate are great. It's the window effect, folks.

Now about the SD features in the PIP window: I think for long features, they don't work very well. For short burst, yes, they're great, but not for a long 5-minute profile.

Now for the race!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Oh, this is the horse thingie they were talking about? :D

As Ken said, looking good via Boston and HDNet. Neither 5.1 though.

·
Registered
938 Posts
A good bit of pixelation in the closeup shots....

·
Registered
553 Posts
WOW....

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, WOW! sums it up quite well.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
OK NBC, now that you have shown that you can cover a horse race in HD, how about some auto racing in HD!

They could easily cover a auto race with the same number of HD cameras. The non-HD shots (in-car cameras, pit reporters, etc) can be shown in a pop up window like NBC used today.

A lot more sponsor money to be made with a 3-4 hour auto race.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.