AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshepp  /t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis#post_23060863

I am still looking as well...Just got my 8350 and need an HD tuner to pick up the local HD channels.

I still use my LG LST-4200A, but not so much anymore. It's in the exercise room.

Want it?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
UPDATE: Prime DTV PHD-208 from ePVision. Very good tuner, plus program info, channel list, manual add/delete. And iView 3500 or Homeworx 150 are good cheap tuners with added DVR capabilities that are a cheap alternative. But PHD-208 is the nicest overall box as a basic tuner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone recommend a QAM tuner that will work with Verizon FIOS in Maryland? I have one old TV without a internal QAM tuner and I want to get some channels on it without having to pay a monthly charge for a FIOS digital tuner. I have a new tv with an internal QAM tuner and I am able to get many channels including HD by only hooking the coax directly to it and I am looking to do the same on the older TV. I see several makes and model QAM tuners on the market but I am looking for some insight into what will work before I buy. Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExigeS  /t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis#post_24012384

Can anyone recommend a QAM tuner that will work with Verizon FIOS in Maryland? I have one old TV without a internal QAM tuner and I want to get some channels on it without having to pay a monthly charge for a FIOS digital tuner. I have a new tv with an internal QAM tuner and I am able to get many channels including HD by only hooking the coax directly to it and I am looking to do the same on the older TV. I see several makes and model QAM tuners on the market but I am looking for some insight into what will work before I buy. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I THINK but am not sure that the Sony DHG-HDD500 (or HDD250) STBs work with QAM, although they no longer work with OTA properly (since TVGoS OTA went away). I have a 500 and FIOS (but only land line/Internet, use Dish rather than FIOS TV). i wonder if I hooked it up to the router there would be some basic channels provided "in the clear?" Anybody know? Maybe I ought to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm checking on what, if anything, can be gotten without a cablecard. Or would you be willing to pay the cablecard fee? I assume no cablecards in those TVs?

Actually, I doubt this is a good solution for you, but it's a challenge I wish to pursue.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop  /t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis#post_24012957

I'm checking on what, if anything, can be gotten without a cablecard. Or would you be willing to pay the cablecard fee? I assume no cablecards in those TVs?

Actually, I doubt this is a good solution for you, but it's a challenge I wish to pursue.

It will not take a cable card, it's too old. I am looking for a solution that does not cost me a monthly fee. Thanks for looking into it

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExigeS  /t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis#post_24012384

I have a new tv with an internal QAM tuner and I am able to get many channels including HD by only hooking the coax directly to it and I am looking to do the same on the older TV. I see several makes and model QAM tuners on the market but I am looking for some insight into what will work before I buy.

What is the older TV make and model?

And what tuner models are you considering?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExigeS  /t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis#post_24015172

It will not take a cable card, it's too old. I am looking for a solution that does not cost me a monthly fee. Thanks for looking into it

The Sony DHG can take a cablecard. Used to be Verizon gave the first card free. I don't think that's the case anymore. $5/month, I believe. But you probably would not get much use out of the DHG as even with a cablecard, you'd get no EPG and the clock would be messed up for manual recordings. Sorry. Gotta look elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,222 Posts
Updated the first post a little, adding the Samsung Media Player and TiVo Roamio.

Feel free to add suggestions and updates and I'll keep it updated as best I can.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I did not see the CM-7500 DVR+ on the list unless I missed it. And the PHD-208 from ePVision. And the PHD-VRX has now been replaced with the VRX2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not happy with the Prime DTV PHD 208. While it has good HD picture they have a design flaw in that HDMI audio output only does stereo and to get 5.1 you have to connect a toslink optical cable. Okay but many receivers like my Onkyo 807 ignore anything else when HDMI audio is detected as HDMI is expected to be highest quality. To work around this design flaw I had to connect the tuner directly to my projector then just the optical cable to the receiver. Means another 20' hdmi cable : ( And customer service assumes their customers are clueless when I probably know more that they do. And they won't refund my money. If you're just hooking up to a little old tv with stereo speakers this tuner will be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Advice/help please?!

Ok, I could use some help/expertise here. I currently have a home theater with a projector, etc. I have Time Warner Cable, and use one of their HD STBs to watch tv on the projector (rarely). I'm currently trying to cut back on my TWC bill. Going to get rid of the box, and telephone, and just go with straight basic cable and internet. But, if I do that, then I have NO way to watch TV on the projector. I just bought a Vizio TV to use in my kitchen, it tunes in everything that I'd like to be able to watch. NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM. What STB has anyone had good luck with hooking up to cable, having HDMI output, and being able to tune in all those options? Thank you to EVERYONE for your help!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I could use some help/expertise here. I currently have a home theater with a projector, etc. I have Time Warner Cable, and use one of their HD STBs to watch tv on the projector (rarely). I'm currently trying to cut back on my TWC bill. Going to get rid of the box, and telephone, and just go with straight basic cable and internet. But, if I do that, then I have NO way to watch TV on the projector. I just bought a Vizio TV to use in my kitchen, it tunes in everything that I'd like to be able to watch. NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM. What STB has anyone had good luck with hooking up to cable, having HDMI output, and being able to tune in all those options? Thank you to EVERYONE for your help!:)
And I don't mind paying for this requested device, but I want something that does not require a subscription. Defeats the purpose of what Im trying to replace! DVR is not important, but not a deal breaker.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
And I don't mind paying for this requested device, but I want something that does not require a subscription. Defeats the purpose of what Im trying to replace! DVR is not important, but not a deal breaker.
Thanks!
It's doubtful TWC has any clear QAM left. If they do, a $35 iView STB3500 will work. If they don't, you must have a cable card device, of which you have two subscription-free options: Samsung cable card tuner (~$130) or PC based tuner ($80-$200 depending on number of tuners). Last time I checked, a cable card from TWC ran about $2. So dropping a box saves you about $8/month. That means you'd break even on the Samsung in about a year and a half. PC based option is cheaper and gives you tons more features plus DVR and free guide. I've been doing that for years with great success. Works with a regular remote, so to the end user it works just like a cable box.

Technically, Tivo with lifetime is also subscription-free and will run you about $300 for a decent used older model, $600+ for a new one. Really long payback time going that route, 3 years plus, but the easiest solution.

If you're willing to cut back to basic cable, would you be satisfied with just OTA instead, assuming you get good reception in your area?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It's doubtful TWC has any clear QAM left. If they do, a $35 iView STB3500 will work. If they don't, you must have a cable card device, of which you have two subscription-free options: Samsung cable card tuner (~$130) or PC based tuner ($80-$200 depending on number of tuners). Last time I checked, a cable card from TWC ran about $2. So dropping a box saves you about $8/month. That means you'd break even on the Samsung in about a year and a half. PC based option is cheaper and gives you tons more features plus DVR and free guide. I've been doing that for years with great success. Works with a regular remote, so to the end user it works just like a cable box.

Technically, Tivo with lifetime is also subscription-free and will run you about $300 for a decent used older model, $600+ for a new one. Really long payback time going that route, 3 years plus, but the easiest solution.

If you're willing to cut back to basic cable, would you be satisfied with just OTA instead, assuming you get good reception in your area?
I am on Time Warner cable in Nebraska and we still have analog and clear QAM. I have no idea how long that will last but I have had no notification and Time Warner will not say. For what it is worth my local office is very good. I have used cable cards and changed boxes and have had no issues. Very prompt when I have had a concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks again. I know it seems like a long payoff, but I'm on a bundle right now, with cable box, cable, phone and internet. I want to get rid of everything but the internet and basic cable. Just the local channels that I can tune in with a TV are all I need. The phone I think I am going to replace with something like Ooma, (one time purchase, VERY low monthly fee), and replace the 1 cable box I have from TWC with just a standard tuner, then replace their modem that I now have to pay RENT on (gee, thanks for that), with one of my own. I can lower my bill by quite a bit, plus get a faster internet package. Thanks all for your advice, I'll check it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Unfortunately, I do not get good reception in my area. I'm about 30 miles from the largest city, which has maybe 2-3 stations that broadcast, and 1 of which is a religious channel. The next closest is over 60 miles in multiple directions. I guess I've never tried a good antenna for HD reception. I do have an antenna in the attic that picks up radio for me. Might give that a shot and see what it picks up.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts