AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Supersonic SC58 - Digital TV Converter Box

I bought one of these yesterday from Micro Center. I have been searching here and other places, but I am not finding out much about this unit. It looks like it will record, but only to a USB drive, not to an HDD or else I would have psoted this in the DVR area. Anyway, I am just wondering if anybody here has any furher details on this box?

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I bought one of these yesterday from Micro Center. I have been searching here and other places, but I am not finding out much about this unit. It looks like it will record, but only to a USB drive, not to an HDD or else I would have psoted this in the DVR area. Anyway, I am just wondering if anybody here has any furher details on this box?
It is probably another clone of the iView box. Read about the iView in the DVR thread. If you want a good basic tuner, then the PHD-208 from epVision is a nice unit, or their PHD-8VX. But if you want a decent, mid range DVR tuner, then look at Channel Master DVR+. Now there is a VRX2 DVR from epVision, but it reportedly has problematic issues as a DVR, so I would go with the Channel Master.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking for an ATSC tuner STB with HDMI output that won't upscale or process the image. I want to run it through my Lumagen processor and have it handle all upscaling/processing. I don't need NTSC/clear QAM or recording. Is there a box that isn't too expensive that does this?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Pretty much ALL OF THEM.....if 720p is upscaled to 1080i, essentially HALF of the pixels would have to be thrown away....and that is NOT what they do unless you go in and DISABLE 720p output.

The MPEG2 data stream coming in (in whatever format came from the SOURCE) is EXACTLY what is output on the HDMI interface unless you specifically go into the menus to override this normal operation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
^ That isn't what I'm asking. I'm looking for a tuner with a native output like 720p channels will output at 720p, 1080i at 1080i, 480i at 480i, etc. Most of the tuners I've looked at only have a fixed output. The only ones I've found so far with native output are some of the Tivo tuners, do any of those work for just OTA without paying the subscription fee?

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
Tivo is the only tuner I've used that had a native, all others scale the channel to whatever you've set the tuner in the setup. Now there may be other tuners, but not that I've used.
Not sure if it's still viable but people used to purchase a Tivo for just this purpose and never pay for the guide. The Tivo would only record a 1/2hr buffer, not even manual scheduling was allowed, they would also get a nag screen reminding them to activate the box whenever they changed the channel. I'm not sure how the current Tivo's work unactivated but considering the newer boxes are highly subsidized by the guide service it isn't unbelievable they may have shut down this loophole and made them more of a brick without paying for service....I don't know.
I guess you could also just purchase a used Tivo, something with a digital tuner(series 3 or newer) those should work just fine without a sub, at least for the tuner part.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
^ That isn't what I'm asking. I'm looking for a tuner with a native output like 720p channels will output at 720p, 1080i at 1080i, 480i at 480i, etc. Most of the tuners I've looked at only have a fixed output. The only ones I've found so far with native output are some of the Tivo tuners, do any of those work for just OTA without paying the subscription fee?
I believe the ePVision units allow you to select the resolution, if I remember correctly. So you could consider the PHD-208 or the PHD- 8VX. I normally choose 1080i and it looks good on both 720p and 1080p displays. The TiVo units also provide this choice as mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
18,207 Posts
Curious why the cheapos (HomeWorx, Viewtv, iView ,...) aren't on the list?
Rather than ask, why not just make an entry formatted like those in the first post and I'll go edit it in? LEETLE busy, today. Could use the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rather than ask, why not just make an entry formatted like those in the first post and I'll go edit it in? LEETLE busy, today. Could use the help. Thanks.
I started to (I can see it's a LOT of work!), then I ran into this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1460149-2014-list-consumer-available-dvr-s.html

Which isn't the same as the thread we're on, so now I'm just confused (Not hard to do.).

The thread above seems to cover all these, which all seem to be clones of one another? (gleaned from Amazon):
Mediasonic HW-150PVR
Viewtv At-163
iView 3500STBII
Generic Digital ATSC
Axess CB-3001
Ematic AT103B

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
The iView(and clones) are kind of a unique product. Off the shelf they are a HD tuner and belong in this thread, by adding a standard USB HDD they become a HD DVR and belong in the link you gave(the 2014 list of consumer available DVR's).
Personally I think they should be in both threads but others may differ.
Either way they are very inexpensive, and worth about what they cost.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
I have a couple iViews and while I consider them worth the money, I wouldn't really want them to be my only DVR. They are a bit quirky and occasionally just forget to record for whatever reason. Again they do generally work and maybe if your not real upset if something doesn't record, they may be just fine for you. Me OTOH hate to miss an event which is why I use my Tivo HD almost exclusively(never really misses a recording) and I only use my iViews for overflow recording when my Tivos 2 tuners are busy recording something else and then I use the iView for the least important event.
Another major shortfall for me using the iView almost exclusively is it's inability to record one show while playing back another recorded show. With my Tivo many evenings I'm recording with both tuners while watching something that has already been recorded.

If interested more in the iView or even CM+ you should really post your questions in their appropriate thread as this thread we're in now is more a reference thread stating the various HD tuners :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
If interested more in the iView or even CM+ you should really post your questions in their appropriate thread as this thread we're in now is more a reference thread stating the various HD tuners :)
Agreed. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm interested in.

DVR function is secondary. I can't think of anything we've missed OTA that I can't stream via Kodi at will. And there are also the "Must Watch" programs like Face Off that we can stream after it's been broadcast.

The low price and the slow switching on my TV from HDMI->ANT is are only things that had me looking at these. If I subtract the convenience, it sort of becomes a wash for me.

I guess I was really only looking for a stand-out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Agreed. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm interested in.

DVR function is secondary. I can't think of anything we've missed OTA that I can't stream via Kodi at will. And there are also the "Must Watch" programs like Face Off that we can stream after it's been broadcast.

The low price and the slow switching on my TV from HDMI->ANT is are only things that had me looking at these. If I subtract the convenience, it sort of becomes a wash for me.

I guess I was really only looking for a stand-out.

Thanks again.
Since you're using Kodi, why not consider a PC or Linux based tuner? That will work much better (multiple tuners, network sharing, guide data, PC recording capability).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since you're using Kodi, why not consider a PC or Linux based tuner? That will work much better (multiple tuners, network sharing, guide data, PC recording capability).
I'm running Kodi on a Fire TV. (Amazing little box, really.) Everything entertainment-wise sits in one corner of the den. Actually I was looking at tuner cards when I discovered these. They're cheap enough to more than offset the time/labor of dropping a coax to the PC, not to mention leaving it on just to watch TV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi AVS friends! :)

ive got an older projector and no tv or cable. The pj has a converter from the 15 pin that lets me connect it to an hdmi which goes to the receiver. Im looking for a simple unit that will do air-tuning, dvr (built in OR usb), channel guide etc.
Can you recommend a unit for under $150 that will be fairly simple?

i found the following : Mediasonic HW-150PVR, tivo premiere, phd-208
any better options please?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi AVS friends! :)

ive got an older projector and no tv or cable. The pj has a converter from the 15 pin that lets me connect it to an hdmi which goes to the receiver. Im looking for a simple unit that will do air-tuning, dvr (built in OR usb), channel guide etc.
Can you recommend a unit for under $150 that will be fairly simple?

i found the following : Mediasonic HW-150PVR, tivo premiere, phd-208
any better options please?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
iView flaky

My 3500STBII with HW version ATSC7816XD-01 was made before the hardware 3/4 switch was added. It has software version 20131213 aV13. It can't be counted on to respond to its remote control or record an entire program. Best results are using a hardware switch between its plug and wall outlet and cycle the power when desiring to actually control it.

It came with all Jackcon caps on the I/O board and various junk brand caps on the PS board. I replaced all the PS caps with Nichicons, but it didn't change the behavior.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
My 3500STBII with HW version ATSC7816XD-01 was made before the hardware 3/4 switch was added. It has software version 20131213 aV13. It can't be counted on to respond to its remote control or record an entire program. Best results are using a hardware switch between its plug and wall outlet and cycle the power when desiring to actually control it.

It came with all Jackcon caps on the I/O board and various junk brand caps on the PS board. I replaced all the PS caps with Nichicons, but it didn't change the behavior.
I'm cross-posting your question here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1465875-iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread.html

You'll probably get a better response on that thread, although it sounds to me like it's time to replace your iView with a new one.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts