AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 954 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Apparently there isn't an "Official BenQ 8700+" (or 8700 for that matter) thread yet like there is for the Optoma H77, Optoma H30, Infocus 4805...etc. I think it would be a great idea to have one chief thread to visit for all 8700+/8700 questions/info/comments. So hopefully we'll all start posting them here. Screenshots included...

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by clubfoot
Great idea. how do we start one?

Heh! Wait for people to start posting messages?
I'm sure when some one does a search for the "BenQ 8700+" (or 8700) they'll run across this thread. It only makes sense to group all related question/comments/info in this one thread.

Do you own a 8700+ ?

Brampton huh....heh...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by MrRob
| love my 8700. All the other threads from January until now have solved all the problems I have had. What a thread. I love the projector for the money.

DaViD, Carl Holt, etc...

Hello MrRob,

Good to hear!
How long has it been since your problems were solved? And everything's been honky dory since?

OuBthisSN,

What's up with your comment/attitude? "yeah, this thread is dumb..."?? While I agree that there should have been such a thread long ago when the 8700+ was released...the fact is there wasn't...so now that we have one why not support it? Having such a thread created can only be beneficial IMHO. How about inputing something useful and positive in the future instead of this negativity? AVS is a place for people to learn and ask questions in a friendly and open maner.

If only we could consolidate all the other 8700/8700+ threads as was done for another projector. Ideas any one?

Lighten up OuBthisSN!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm also awaiting my 8700 next week to replace my old XGA DLP unit. I've been searching and searching - I still think it's ok to start this thread for us new users. My questions are for now:

1. How is the 8700 with a qualityscreen greyline (2.14m=84" screen width). Is the unit bright enough ?

2. Is dithering a problem (my old XGA is terrible) ?

3. How is the Denon 3910 with DVI compared to as good HTPC with DVI and TheaterTek ?

4. Does the 8700 create "hot spotting" on a firehawk screen (Is firehawk a good choice).

/ Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
thank goodness there wasn't an "official 8700" thread.

have you tried to navigate and/or find anything in one of those official posts with 3500 posting... they are a disaster in my opinion, like a book without a table of contents or index.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by hli
I'm also awaiting my 8700 next week to replace my old XGA DLP unit. I've been searching and searching - I still think it's ok to start this thread for us new users. My questions are for now:

1. How is the 8700 with a qualityscreen greyline (2.14m=84" screen width). Is the unit bright enough ?

2. Is dithering a problem (my old XGA is terrible) ?

3. How is the Denon 3910 with DVI compared to as good HTPC with DVI and TheaterTek ?

4. Does the 8700 create "hot spotting" on a firehawk screen (Is firehawk a good choice).

/ Thanks

1. Yes it is bright enough even to 100" wide in a light-controlled room.

2. Very little dithering

3. Probably better or similar in PQ and more reliable than HTPC

4. The FireHawk has some hotspotting but the output of the 8700 isn't as bright as some short-throw LCD PJ's where this could be an issue.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey great thread! I just got a 8700+ in and I am trying to configure it. So far the picture is pretty good!

However, this unit is replacing a NEC XG85 CRT so I am really worried about one thing....black levels. I never realized how great CRT black levels were until I got this unit in. And yes, I know that NOTHING will touch a CRT black right now for any price (except another CRT). But the best I can manage with my AVIA adjustments on the projetor is a very dark grey.

My question is what are people doing with their 8700's to increase perceived black levels. I am projecting onto a Carada 120" brilliant white screen (1.3 gain) in a completely light controlled theater. Are people using grey screens? How about ND filters on the lenses.

Also, is DLP still ahead of the LCD's in the black level department...I hear great things about the Panasonic 700 and the HS-51.

Thanks,

-Alex-

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys!

Would just like to thank everyone for posting quetions/answers and comments (qxlxp too). Nice to see that there are people that can appreciate such a thread. I do. Even if there is no "table of contents".

Keep on posting!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Originally posted by bairda

Hey great thread! I just got a 8700+ in and I am trying to configure it. So far the picture is pretty good!

Also, is DLP still ahead of the LCD's in the black level department...I hear great things about the Panasonic 700 and the HS-51.

QUOTE]

Although LCD is coming along quite well, I don't think they would yet match the contrast possible on the 8700+ or similar DLPs. I was at a friends last night who owns a Panny 500. Although contrast/black level on that unit is quite good for LCD, it is very noticeably worse than my 8700+. My wife commented to me several times that the dark areas were noticeably gray compared to our setup. I have also seen the Epson 500 and its black level, although even better than the Panny 500 (I would guess comparable to or slightly worse than the Panny 700 in a calibrated environment), wasn't anywhere near as good as the 8700+.

Keep in mind that the Panny 700 is spec'd at 2000:1 and probably won't actually reach that in a properly calibrated environment. I just read a review in the other thread that in Cinema mode (which is recommended for various reasons including color) the 700 gets to 950:1. I have seen reviews of the 8700+ that measure a calibrated contrast over 2200:1.

Gray screens are great for increasing contrast but the two I have seen personally seem to cause problems with color to my eyes. I think that a white screen with some gain (like your 1.3) is probably close to ideal.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by bairda

However, this unit is replacing a NEC XG85 CRT so I am really worried about one thing....black levels. I never realized how great CRT black levels were until I got this unit in. And yes, I know that NOTHING will touch a CRT black right now for any price (except another CRT). But the best I can manage with my AVIA adjustments on the projetor is a very dark grey.

I think you'd appreciate an ISF calibration for the 8700 coming from a CRT reference point. I know that the 8700 I have didn't have enough range with the user picture level settings for HD Component Video. Plus the gray scale does need some help as well.

I'd definitely invest in DVI source devices too, the 8700 likes them better.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Noyd
1. Yes it is bright enough even to 100" wide in a light-controlled room.

2. Very little dithering

3. Probably better or similar in PQ and more reliable than HTPC

4. The FireHawk has some hotspotting but the output of the 8700 isn't as bright as some short-throw LCD PJ's where this could be an issue.

Thanks Jim.

I used to put a ND filter on my old DLP (600:1 Contrast, 1100 lumen), But after I got my grey screen it was just to dark, so I removed the filter. If I was to re-buy I would probably get some good white screen and then use filters for optimizing the black level. Which leads me to a new question: Has anyone use an ND filter on their 8700 ??.

/ HLI

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by hli
Thanks Jim.

I used to put a ND filter on my old DLP (600:1 Contrast, 1100 lumen), But after I got my grey screen it was just to dark, so I removed the filter. If I was to re-buy I would probably get some good white screen and then use filters for optimizing the black level. Which leads me to a new question: Has anyone use an ND filter on their 8700 ??.

Not with a gray screen. It will have rich dark blacks. The single chip DLP's want more light output help more than they need for better black levels IMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As far as black levels go, try setting brightness under "DLP" in the service menu to -2 after you have set it using DVE or AVIA. THX Optimizer is very good for setting contrast on this projector, as it shows crushed whites very easily.

As far as screen size I use an 106" Da-Lite Cinema Contour 1.3 gain and PQ is great!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's true the search function can be frustrating. I'll list three threads that might be useful.

A couple of cautionary statements are warranted. First, specific numbers given for settings may not apply to your particular setup. Second, you do need a calibration setup to do a lot of what's described.

Here's a thread about the service menu:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=drapp1952

And another thread about calibration with ColorFacts using AVIA as source:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...ight=drapp1952

This thread describes the option of attempting to squeeze more contrast and improve black level using a CC20R or HOYA FLD filter to take advantage of gain riding on the 8700, and check out the threads I refer to in the first post of that thread. This can be considered where the picture is already quite bright as with a smaller screen and/or with a high gain screen (BTW, one might consider a CC10R for lower gain screen, larger picture, or older bulbs):

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...ight=drapp1952

Dan

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for all the help and links. I changed the settings for the projector via the service menu per the discussed colorfacts settings and this improved the picture by a magnitude of degree.

I am debating whether to try the ND filters that some have tried. I get the feeling that the improvements with these filters are modest at best. Anyone else what to elaborate on their experience with filters and the 8700?

Thanks,

-Alex-

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Check this out.

Using a CC10R or CC20R or a Hoya FLD will allow you to increase blue and green output, resulting in greater dynamic range. Contrast ratio and black level are improved, to some degree. Whether these improvements are worth the hit in brightness is likely due to how much brightness you've got to spare now. I found the incremental improvements in black level and CR worth it with a bright, new bulb. But, I have a 104" wide picture and as the bulb dimmed the brightness dropped to an unacceptable point so I removed the Hoya FLD I was using and recalibrated. I might experiment with a CC10R that could serve as a compromise filter now that my bulb is dimming more slowly.

Dan

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hello all. Great thread.

This is a great projector (especially for the price) and I guess I'll throw in my two cents about set up, based on my experiences both before and after an ISF calibration.

Screen- I would not, in any situation with a screen over 80" (which is probably all of us) get a grey screen. This is not a bright projector, once properly calibrated. The white screen is essential. For instance, on a 92" DaLite CinemaVision (1.3 white) the BenQ creates an image with 10.5-12 ft. lamberts, which is about right for a home theater, but could never be called very bright. This is, I remind you, at about 100 hours. Near the end of the bulb life, you might be looking at 8. Grey is a no no.

ND filters-With proper calibration, absolutly unnecessary.

Blacks- When I first set up my BenQ, I did a thourough AVIA and THX calibration, which by this time I have become very suffienct with. The picture was noticably improved from pre-calibration, however, the blacks still left much to be desired. I then had my ISF calibrator come out and spend a day with the projector, and now it is very hard to find any problems with the image. The blacks are so much richer and the dynamic range is just awesome. There is simply no way to self calibrate a unit without the proper equipment.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying mine, and good luck to everyone else!

1 - 20 of 954 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.