AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1738 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Owner and his wife have another business and that business has been taking more of their time. So I think they had to make a choice.
Thanks for the info, Mike.

While I do fine with my manual masking system, I've always longed for the Masquerade. Just too expensive for me, all things considered.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sad to hear about this. I was hoping to add a Masquerade one day to my 134" BW screen. Like everyone says, Dave was always quick to respond and cared about his customers. Carada is a great product and I hate to see the business go.

Reactions: Terence and JoeTiVo

·
Registered
16,938 Posts
I've enjoyed my Carada screen for many years and intend to enjoy it for many more .. Dave is a great guy .. likely another casualty of lower priced alternatives and a Home Theater market that's just not what it used to be ..

Reactions: Terence

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Like everyone else has already said, great people and great value. I'm only changing out my BW material after 7 years because I'm going AT, but I'm trying to reuse the Carada frame.
I was thinking of doing the same but wasn't sure it would work. Let us know how it goes, maybe post your results to the thread I started with the title "Retrofit Carada screen to AT material" (edit: link to my post below)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...arada-frame-screen-material.html#post46473785

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same but wasn't sure it would work. Let us know how it goes, maybe post your results to the thread I started with the title "Retrofit Carada screen to AT material" (or similar, I'll post a link when I'm at my computer).
Absolutely. I'll post it there and in my build thread. I *may* get around to it this week, though I've been saying that for 2-3 weeks now! I've had the Falcon material, cut to size with the grommets already installed, since November...

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Absolutely. I'll post it there and in my build thread. I *may* get around to it this week, though I've been saying that for 2-3 weeks now! I've had the Falcon material, cut to size with the grommets already installed, since November...
Now I'm even more interested, as the Falcon Vision Horizon screen material is in my short list. Go go go! :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Love my Carada screen and their customer service was top notch.

Reactions: Terence and JoeTiVo

·
Registered
310 Posts
Very sad to hear that Carada has closed. I bought my screen from them about 7 years ago. I absolutely love my screen, and have never had a single problem with it. Assembly and mounting were easy, and the result is just beautiful.

If I ever want a belt I will know where to go.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just a coincidence, I was researching screens for a friend and saw their website closed, then headed over here. I have a Carada BW that I ordered through Mike at AVS and love it. I thought Carada provided exceptional value for the money.

I wonder if it is just pricing pressure though. Not sure if they sourced the material from overseas or not but it is very difficult to manufacture and market entirely in the US.

Hopefully another company can pick up on the idea and make it viable. Now that we are going to make America great again :laugh:

(sorry could not resist that)

·
Registered
16,938 Posts
I don't think the market for HT projection is what it was some years back .. in addition to the cheaper screens being readily available, a screen, once you settle on what you like, is generally not something you upgrade or change later .. so, unlike TV's, projectors, AVR's, an owner tends to keep what they have .. especially if it a high quality product like Carada .. that leaves the manufacturer with mostly the need to attract new customers that are new to HT projection ..

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just a coincidence, I was researching screens for a friend and saw their website closed, then headed over here. I have a Carada BW that I ordered through Mike at AVS and love it. I thought Carada provided exceptional value for the money.

I wonder if it is just pricing pressure though. Not sure if they sourced the material from overseas or not but it is very difficult to manufacture and market entirely in the US.

Hopefully another company can pick up on the idea and make it viable. Now that we are going to make America great again :laugh:

(sorry could not resist that)
Carada is a great product for sure. When the little guys get punished for doing work in the U.S. it is no wonder they go under. I hope my screen lasts another 20 yrs.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't think the market for HT projection is what it was some years back .. in addition to the cheaper screens being readily available, a screen, once you settle on what you like, is generally not something you upgrade or change later .. so, unlike TV's, projectors, AVR's, an owner tends to keep what they have .. especially if it a high quality product like Carada .. that leaves the manufacturer with mostly the need to attract new customers that are new to HT projection ..
Great point. Not really a growth market of screens is all of your business.

·
Registered
16,938 Posts
Carada is a great product for sure. When the little guys get punished for doing work in the U.S. it is no wonder they go under. I hope my screen lasts another 20 yrs.
I don't believe it's really an issue of punishment .. Monoprice screens are not cheap and I'm sure they are all made overseas .. with relatively cheap 75" flat screens, and screen size increasing and decreasing in price, projection HT is just not a huge market like it used to be .. I love my Carada and I hate it shuttering down .. that said, it's the market in this case, there are just not enough new enthusiasts coming in ..

·
Registered
310 Posts
And let's face it. There's a much bigger market for belts than for projector screens.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
I think Carada screens were not bright enough for a lot of applications. The CCW was about a 1.0 gain and the BW in all reality was only slightly higher and nowhere near 1.4. They were great screens for the money; but a lot of people need something brighter although higher quality projectors are getting brighter now...but it might have been too late.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Wow..that's too bad about their closing. I really appreciated my carada screen. It was certainly the easiest to assemble and mount of any screen that I've owned.

1681 - 1700 of 1738 Posts