AVS Forum banner

7541 - 7560 of 7636 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
My storage unit got broken into overnight and my Adcom GFA-5500 was stolen. Among many other things.

It has distinctive features (aluminum spacers and custom cap screws) for the top cover and a Musical Concepts sticker in the rear. Please let me know if you see it for sale anywhere. I’m monitoring online channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn dude, hopefully the items get found and the thieves get what they deserve, myself being considered middle class it drives me crazy how the low lives steal from us as well as the rich, argghhhhh man I hate hearing of this, sending good vibes your way dude.

Chad

Reactions: BufordTJustice

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,543
Again? Is this rampant up there or are you being targeted? What's that now? Three times in a year? I'd be livid!
Actually, 4 times in 14 months.

Oh and they rifled through a bunch of medical documents for some on-duty injuries I had in my previous career... and also some tax documents. They know a lot about me. It’s not ideal.

So over this.

Reactions: doinmybestatlast

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,544
I don't like to make too many comments about speakers until I've logged a good bit of time on them, but after 2 albums I can ready tell these are to my liking/taste and are keepers.

Besides Chane's reputation, the quality of components used, apparent value for the dollar, and the looks of them (yes it matters to me), these words from the product description are what really drew my interest in them: big, open, spacious sound, and they certainly have those qualities. That is what I love so much about the JBL S38 as well. The tweeter is special - sweet and detailed without any harshness whatsoever thus far.

I had not even been aware of the L Series until last week and was immediately drawn to the L3, and I ordered them the next day. I've never ordered a pair of speakers so quickly after learning about them.

More to come. For now, back to the music.
Rick, I didn’t mean to put a damper on your fun. We all need more of what you’re having.

Please keep the updates and impressions coming, brother.

Carry on, all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rick, I didn’t mean to put a damper on your fun. We all need more of what you’re having.

Please keep the updates and impressions coming, brother.

Carry on, all.

You're good brother.

I'm very sorry to hear about your shed getting broken into and the items being stolen, even worse that it has happened multiple times. Hope they catch the SOB(s) that did it.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I know the feeling of being violated after something like this has happened, and wish you the best of luck with recovering your items.
Roger that, especially the irreplaceable things. Enough said, but been there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A few more thoughts after 1 day and 7 albums with the L3.

First off regarding the looks of them, I really like the way they look. I like the pebble grain finish on the front and rear a lot. I am not at all a fan of the dust and fingerprint magnet glossy finishes that adorn many modern speakers. And even though the wrap is vinyl instead of real wood it looks very nice. It appears to be of good quality and reminds me a lot of the finish on the JBL L830's I owned about 10 years ago. I live alone with no pets and I've always been a grills off guy, but late last night I unwrapped them to check them out. Picking them up they are much heavier and solid than most, as the frames are made from MDF instead of plastic like most. Nice!

As for the sound, like I said yesterday one of the things that drew my interest was that in the description on the product page it said they had a big, open, and spacious sound and boy do they ever. They easily fill my smaller listening room with sound, and in that regard they remind me of my JBL S38 quite a bit.

The bass digs really deep and I don't see me using my sub much at all if ever for music. I am thankful that I am able to have them placed 29" from the rear walls, as I feel in my smaller room the bass would be overwhelming at times if they were closer to the wall. The S38 has an 8" woofer and also is rated down to 45Hz (-3db) and I've always been pleased with their bass, and the L3 has noticably more bass.

The mids are very good with the presense that I've always liked. My 2 favorite sounds in all of music are the female singing voice and the Fender Telecaster and early on I really like the way they reproduce those sounds, and the midrange in general.

The highs are great. I think the ringdome tweeter is really special in that it has great detail and insight into the recording, but I have not experienced a bit of brightness or harshness yet.

As for sensitivity, I was thinking they might be a bit harder to drive than the other two speakers currently in my home based on the specs. The Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 is rated at 88db, and JBL is 89db (but measured 91 by Stereophile), and the L3 is 85db. I don't find the L3 any harder to drive than the other two. I have not had to turn the volume control on my amp up any higher than normal to achieve my normal listening levels.

So far I've only listened to high quality recordings that I'm very familiar with, and I fully expect that like all good revealing speakers that they'll expose the flaws in lesser quality recordings. Today I'll be playing more recordings of various genres and qualities. Yesterday I played mostly SACDs, and today I'll mix in some vinyl as well.

I've already typed more words than I had planned, so I'll end with these words to sum up my early impressions of the L3:

• Big, full, open
  • Musical
  • Insightful
  • Balanced
  • Engaging
  • Quality
  • Value

·
Registered
175 Posts
@BufordTJustice Insurance?
It looks like storage units are just a place for burglars to keep their inventory before they come and get it. Check your insurance, any that you have, including recent credit cards purchases.

When I was a kid I remember the neighbor's house caught fire. My parents and I went over to console him as he was sifting through the burnt remnants. He was crying over the lost pictures of his family. The house and furniture was only money and could be replaced.

Feeling for you bro'. Eventually, you will get the latest and greatest instead. Some opportunities are hidden in the midst of great loss. You'll find them.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
On the issue of theft from storage units I would suggest that anyone storing anything of value in a storage unit make a small insurance investment in a battery-operated, motion-activated trail camera and hide it in the upper rear of the storage unit facing the front. For <$200 you can get a quality trail camera that can capture HD video of anything that moves inside of the storage unit. Identifying the thieves can be helpful in recovering anything that was stolen.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Actually, 4 times in 14 months.

Oh and they rifled through a bunch of medical documents for some on-duty injuries I had in my previous career... and also some tax documents. They know a lot about me. It’s not ideal.
Identity theft next? Man, you got your work cut out for you. What a PITA. I do like the camera idea suggested above. Maybe you can entrap them? Worth a shot!

·
Registered
84 Posts
It sucks to be violated like that but you have to be a saint to tolerate it multiple times. The amount of crime these days is ridiculous and likely won't be getting any better with first responder defunding, suspects handled with kid gloves, courts looking the other way, jail system overcrowding, early inmate release, etc. It's getting more difficult to find a state that isn't transitioning to all of that. Hopefully it's just the normal ebb/flow and it all mean reverts over time.

These days a credit freeze might be your best friend to counter identity theft. Also, setup a PIN with the IRS for tax returns.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,554
@BufordTJustice Insurance?
It looks like storage units are just a place for burglars to keep their inventory before they come and get it. Check your insurance, any that you have, including recent credit cards purchases.

When I was a kid I remember the neighbor's house caught fire. My parents and I went over to console him as he was sifting through the burnt remnants. He was crying over the lost pictures of his family. The house and furniture was only money and could be replaced.

Feeling for you bro'. Eventually, you will get the latest and greatest instead. Some opportunities are hidden in the midst of great loss. You'll find them.
I know right. I asked the complex how much they charge for units that DON’T get broken into. They didn’t find that funny (because they aren’t cheap as it stands).

Fully insured. State Farm is going to have fun with this.

And, you’re right, though I’ve been diminished, my wife and I are safe and it could have been worse.

Still, I feel like hoisting the black flag every other minute.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,555
A few more thoughts after 1 day and 7 albums with the L3.

First off regarding the looks of them, I really like the way they look. I like the pebble grain finish on the front and rear a lot. I am not at all a fan of the dust and fingerprint magnet glossy finishes that adorn many modern speakers. And even though the wrap is vinyl instead of real wood it looks very nice. It appears to be of good quality and reminds me a lot of the finish on the JBL L830's I owned about 10 years ago. I live alone with no pets and I've always been a grills off guy, but late last night I unwrapped them to check them out. Picking them up they are much heavier and solid than most, as the frames are made from MDF instead of plastic like most. Nice!

As for the sound, like I said yesterday one of the things that drew my interest was that in the description on the product page it said they had a big, open, and spacious sound and boy do they ever. They easily fill my smaller listening room with sound, and in that regard they remind me of my JBL S38 quite a bit.

The bass digs really deep and I don't see me using my sub much at all if ever for music. I am thankful that I am able to have them placed 29" from the rear walls, as I feel in my smaller room the bass would be overwhelming at times if they were closer to the wall. The S38 has an 8" woofer and also is rated down to 45Hz (-3db) and I've always been pleased with their bass, and the L3 has noticably more bass.

The mids are very good with the presense that I've always liked. My 2 favorite sounds in all of music are the female singing voice and the Fender Telecaster and early on I really like the way they reproduce those sounds, and the midrange in general.

The highs are great. I think the ringdome tweeter is really special in that it has great detail and insight into the recording, but I have not experienced a bit of brightness or harshness yet.

As for sensitivity, I was thinking they might be a bit harder to drive than the other two speakers currently in my home based on the specs. The Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 is rated at 88db, and JBL is 89db (but measured 91 by Stereophile), and the L3 is 85db. I don't find the L3 any harder to drive than the other two. I have not had to turn the volume control on my amp up any higher than normal to achieve my normal listening levels.

So far I've only listened to high quality recordings that I'm very familiar with, and I fully expect that like all good revealing speakers that they'll expose the flaws in lesser quality recordings. Today I'll be playing more recordings of various genres and qualities. Yesterday I played mostly SACDs, and today I'll mix in some vinyl as well.

I've already typed more words than I had planned, so I'll end with these words to sum up my early impressions of the L3:

• Big, full, open
  • Musical
  • Insightful
  • Balanced
  • Engaging
  • Quality
  • Value
This is great to hear. I actually nearly had a pair of the S38’s way back when.

The L3 6.5” woofer has just over half the cone area of the S38’s 8” bass driver. The L3c is equivalent to a large 8” woofer in SD, maybe an 8.5” (but these size classes are so vague these days).

Very interesting to hear that the little L3 is in the game with a much larger speaker as far as bass is concerned.

But, and I think you’ll agree.... the surprising bass quality and texture (and quantity) takes a back seat to the other more experiential aspects. SS&I, the Sonic hologram it creates. The realism that sucks you into songs you’ve heard many times before.

Reactions: Rick88

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is great to hear. I actually nearly had a pair of the S38’s way back when.

The L3 6.5” woofer has just over half the cone area of the S38’s 8” bass driver. The L3c is equivalent to a large 8” woofer in SD, maybe an 8.5” (but these size classes are so vague these days).

Very interesting to hear that the little L3 is in the game with a much larger speaker as far as bass is concerned.

But, and I think you’ll agree.... the surprising bass quality and texture (and quantity) takes a back seat to the other more experiential aspects. SS&I, the Sonic hologram it creates. The realism that sucks you into songs you’ve heard many times before.

I really like the S38. I remember when they were released in 1999 and as a lifelong JBL fan I really wanted them, especially after reading the Stereophile review. I never did get them back then, but a pair showed up on Craigslist a couple of years ago in Binghamton NY for $125. They appeared to be in excellent condition, and I immediately contacted the seller and made the 70 mile (each way) trip to get them. They were in as close to mint as you could get for 20 year old speakers.

They were a rare speaker that from the moment I heard them I loved them and they grew on me more as time went by, and that everything I played sounded good with them. I had them for about a year and sold them for $200 after I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 1's. It was a foolish decision that I regretted immediately. The Silver 1 sounded very good in its own right, but it just didn't have the big open sound I loved about the S38.

I began a search for another pair of them. Most of the ones I've seen usually sell for anywhere between $200-400, and some of the higher priced ones I've seen on Ebay are not in very good condition, many have pushed in tweeter domes and dust caps on the woofer & midrange drivers, let alone banged up cabinets.

Another pair showed up in Rochester for $200 a few months after I began searching. I went right up and got them. They aren't in as good a condition as the first pair but still nice. The only issue really is some scuffs on the cabinets that are hard to see as the black hides it pretty well. Funny thing, the first pair was in the light beech vinyl finish and I never really thought I was crazy about the color. Now that I have this pair in black I prefer the beech. Photos below.

Anyhow, regarding the bass: The more I listen to the L3 I wouldn't say it has substantially more quantity of bass than the S38, but more quality of bass. The S38 is no slouch at all, but the L3 has more texture and definition for sure. It was most noticeable to me earlier today while listening to Tin Pan Alley from SRV & Double Trouble's Couldn't Stand The Weather. 😎

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,557
I really like the S38. I remember when they were released in 1999 and as a lifelong JBL fan I really wanted them, especially after reading the Stereophile review. I never did get them back then, but a pair showed up on Craigslist a couple of years ago in Binghamton NY for $125. They appeared to be in excellent condition, and I immediately contacted the seller and made the 70 mile (each way) trip to get them. They were in as close to mint as you could get for 20 year old speakers.

They were a rare speaker that from the moment I heard them I loved them and they grew on me more as time went by, and that everything I played sounded good with them. I had them for about a year and sold them for $200 after I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 1's. It was a foolish decision that I regretted immediately. The Silver 1 sounded very good in its own right, but it just didn't have the big open sound I loved about the S38.

I began a search for another pair of them. Most of the ones I've seen usually sell for anywhere between $200-400, and some of the higher priced ones I've seen on Ebay are not in very good condition, many have pushed in tweeter domes and dust caps on the woofer & midrange drivers, let alone banged up cabinets.

Another pair showed up in Rochester for $200 a few months after I began searching. I went right up and got them. They aren't in as good a condition as the first pair but still nice. The only issue really is some scuffs on the cabinets that are hard to see as the black hides it pretty well. Funny thing, the first pair was in the light beech vinyl finish and I never really thought I was crazy about the color. Now that I have this pair in black I prefer the beech. Photos below.

Anyhow, regarding the bass: The more I listen to the L3 I wouldn't say it has substantially more quantity of bass than the S38, but more quality of bass. The S38 is no slouch at all, but the L3 has more texture and definition for sure. It was most noticeable to me earlier today while listening to Tin Pan Alley from SRV & Double Trouble's Couldn't Stand The Weather.

View attachment 3118722
View attachment 3118723
View attachment 3118724
You and I fell for the S38’s in a similar way. In 2001 one of my friends’ parents had them set up (in Beech, too!!) in their house. They were pretty wealthy. I just remember how great they sounded and how they really filled the room. And I just think they look cool.

Glad you found another pair. I, too, prefer the Beech, but they don’t look bad in black either. I want to say they may have had Orange drivers before Klipsch, but I’m honestly not sure.

Oh and as for bass quantity, I’m sure the L3’s don’t make as much as the S38’s. I should have been more clear. I just meant that for a single 6.5” stand mount, they punch above their weight compared to other 6.5” speakers. That’s all. The S38 has twice the cone area and significantly more cabinet volume. There’s basically no way it doesn’t make more bass than the L3.

As far as the quality, the SBA drivers are designed by the same two engineers that used to work for ScanSpeak and designed their Illuminator, Revelator, and Ellipticor model lines before striking out on their own. They are still in Denmark, but own a factory in Indonesia (ISO 9000:1, state of the art facility) that makes their stuff. They really are high quality drivers that play right alongside much more expensive drivers.

I think you’re hearing the fruits of the designers’ obsession; downward detail, texture, inner tone, etc. cymbals and toms in drum kits begin to reveal their actual tuning. Like a bell, you can hear the notes in them, as opposed to simple concussive events or white noise splashes. You can really hear a piano player work the pedals. The emotion of the music really starts to emerge.

Definitely not the type of stuff that would stand out on a showroom floor. But it’s, IMHO, the really good stuff. Is where real involvement with your music begins.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts

Anyhow, regarding the bass: The more I listen to the L3 I wouldn't say it has substantially more quantity of bass than the S38, but more quality of bass. The S38 is no slouch at all, but the L3 has more texture and definition for sure. It was most noticeable to me earlier today while listening to Tin Pan Alley from SRV & Double Trouble's Couldn't Stand The Weather. 😎

View attachment 3118722
View attachment 3118723
View attachment 3118724
Tin Pan Alley and Couldn't Stand the Weather ... great music. I actually listened to both this week! Clearly, you have excellent taste! ;)

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,559
On the issue of theft from storage units I would suggest that anyone storing anything of value in a storage unit make a small insurance investment in a battery-operated, motion-activated trail camera and hide it in the upper rear of the storage unit facing the front. For
Used those a lot in my old covert unit.

7541 - 7560 of 7636 Posts