AVS Forum banner

7561 - 7580 of 7636 Posts

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,561
@BufordTJustice - I keep forgetting to mention how much I like your username. I love Jackie Gleason and The Honeymooners is my all-time favorite TV show, hands down!!

View attachment 3118818
View attachment 3118819
Gleason may be my all time favorite actor. Thank you!!

His ability to be so idiosyncratic and shy in person, yet also present such entertaining, bigger than life caricatures on screen always baffles and entertains me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gleason may be my all time favorite actor. Thank you!!

His ability to be so idiosyncratic and shy in person, yet also present such entertaining, bigger than life caricatures on screen always baffles and entertains me.

Something strange happened, when you quoted me it changed my big grin emoji to an angry face one or whatever that is. I had to go back to the last page to be sure I posted the one I meant to.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,563
Something strange happened, when you quoted me it changed my big grin emoji to an angry face one or whatever that is. I had to go back to the last page to be sure I posted the one I meant.
I’m still seeing big grin on my phone. You’re good bro.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That's strange, here is what I'm seeing on my LG android phone.
It's the end of days. The emojis have become self-aware! o_O - we'll see if this one changes his expression...(!)

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,566
Here they are in my cozy 11' x 13' room. I have very limited placement options in here, but I'll start off with what has worked best in this treated space with the 5 or 6 other speakers I've had in here. They are 29" from the back wall and 18" from the side walls, toed in so that I can just see the insides of the cabinets. Will adjust toe-in as/if necessary. My JBL Sub550P will be turned off.

* Edit - stands are 24" Monoprice Monolith 4 post filled with sand, a very stable and inert home for them to reside.

View attachment 3118425
What kind of stereo integrated do I see here? What’s your source?

Reactions: doinmybestatlast

·
Registered
453 Posts
What kind of stereo integrated do I see here? What’s your source?

The amp is a Yamaha A-S501. Sources are a Music Hall MMF-5.1 turntable/Cambridge Audio Solo phono pre, Cambridge Audio 752BD universal disc Blu-Ray player, Sony UBP-X800 universal disc 4K Ultra HD BD player (hooked up to the Yammie via coax digital cable for movies only), Denon DR-M22 3-head cassette deck (rarely use).

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,568
The amp is a Yamaha A-S501. Sources are a Music Hall MMF-5.1 turntable/Cambridge Audio Solo phono pre, Cambridge Audio 752BD universal disc Blu-Ray player, Sony UBP-X800 universal disc 4K Ultra HD BD player (hooked up to the Yammie via coax digital cable for movies only), Denon DR-M22 3-head cassette deck (rarely use).
Very nice! You’re already off to the races.

Reactions: doinmybestatlast

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,537 Posts
Well, it turns out signature required was not required. :ROFLMAO: The guy was already gone by the time I got upstairs, and made no attempt to hide the speakers(there's a hedge that covers most of the porch, he couldn't be bothered to hide the speakers behind them, as a UPS driver would have). I'm not even mad, I don't think people who aren't in essential services should have to work on Easter. I don't consider FedEx Home essential. So, in essence, I'm glad the speakers got here today instead of yesterday as originally scheduled as the speakers would have stayed in semi plain sight on the porch until I got up a few hours later.

Quick impressions:
A: I am not a golden ear or wordsmith, you won't get fancy descriptions from me.
B: They are not properly setup. I put them on top of my RP280f, so the tweeter is slightly high.
C: I didn't run Audyssey, just turned it off L/R and turned down the subwoofers 4 db as the Klipsch are about 4 db more sensitive.

The bad part first:
A: I don't see any reason to replace the RP-280f with these. To get them instead in the first place, yes.
B: The mid bass is a bit messy, but I expect that to change when I run Audyssey. Audyssey is only being applied to the subwoofers. Who knows what weird interactions are going on now. A: might change after Audyssey as well, tbf.

However, the important things to me are top notch.
They are neutral, I hate bright speakers.*
The imaging is just as good as the RP.
The detail is just as good as the RP.
The soundstage is better than the RP, I think.
They play loud enough for me.
Most importantly, they pass the Funk #49 test. That is, all the lesser Klipsch (RP 260f, RP150m) would BRRRAAAP terribly at certain parts of the song... and no other song, I might add, because of the "dirty" sound, I'm guessing, unless I turned the crossover up to 150 for the 260, and I think 250 for the 150. Played extremely loudly, tbf to the Klipsch, levels I don't listen at anymore. You'd be amazed how painfully loud the little 150m could go with the crossover set at 250.

TL: DR I would have saved $1100 if I got these instead of the Klipsch, and been just as happy.

I know my reviews suck.
Basically, they are:
A: I like them
B: I'm not sure if I like them
C: I don't like them

To be clear, these are A, and I expect them to sound even better when I set them up properly.

*If you hate bright speakers, drh3b, why did you have Klipsch RF-82 II and supporting speakers for two years?
A: Shut up.
B: I ran Audyssey when I set them up, and Audyssey neutralizes the harshness of those speakers, so it wasn't a problem.

ETA: The driver badly misspelled my name when he fake signed for it.... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
156 Posts
W
Well, it turns out signature required was not required. :ROFLMAO: The guy was already gone by the time I got upstairs, and made no attempt to hide the speakers(there's a hedge that covers most of the porch, he couldn't be bothered to hide the speakers behind them, as a UPS driver would have). I'm not even mad, I don't think people who aren't in essential services should have to work on Easter. I don't consider FedEx Home essential. So, in essence, I'm glad the speakers got here today instead of yesterday as originally scheduled as the speakers would have stayed in semi plain sight on the porch until I got up a few hours later.

Quick impressions:
A: I am not a golden ear, you won't get fancy descriptions from me.
B: They are not properly setup. I put them on top of my RP280f, so the tweeter is slightly high.
C: I didn't run Audyssey, just turned it off L/R and turned down the subwoofers 4 db as the Klipsch are about 4 db more sensitive.

The bad part first:
A: I don't see any reason to replace the RP-280f with these. To get them instead in the first place, yes.
B: The mid bass is a bit messy, but I expect that to change when I run Audyssey. Audyssey is only being applied to the subwoofers. Who knows what weird interactions are going on now. A: might change after Audyssey as well, tbf.

Most importantly, they pass the Funk #49 test. That is, all the lesser Klipsch (RP 260f, RP150m) would BRRRAAAP terribly at certain parts of the song... and no other song, I might add, because of the "dirty" sound, I'm guessing, unless I turned the crossover up to 150 for the 260, and I think 250 for the 150. Played extremely loudly, tbf to the Klipsch, levels I don't listen at anymore. You'd be amazed how painfully loud the little 150m could go with the crossover set at 250.

TL: DR I would have saved $1100 if I got these instead of the Klipsch, and been just as happy.

I know my reviews suck.
Basically, they are:

To be clear, these are A, and I expect them to sound even better when I set them up properly.

*If you hate bright speakers, drh3b, why did you have Klipsch RF-82 II and supporting speakers for two years?
B: I ran Audyssey when I set them up, and Audyssey neutralizes the harshness of those speakers, so it wasn't a problem.
I could go back through the thread to find out, but was it the A1.5 or 2.4 that you ended up ordering?
Either way, the split gap woofers will open up after being played for awhile. I know a lot of people consider speaker break-in a myth, but with this particular line of speakers, it is a fact.
I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on your new speakers as you spend more time with them.

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
W

I could go back through the thread to find out, but was it the A1.5 or 2.4 that you ended up ordering?
Either way, the split gap woofers will open up after being played for awhile. I know a lot of people consider speaker break-in a myth, but with this particular line of speakers, it is a fact.
I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on your new speakers as you spend more time with them.
A 2.4, because that opens up options. They could go upstairs(where they would probably be wasted), or they can be used for 2 channel listening. The a1.5 with it's lower sensitivity wouldn't be able to blast out as loud as I like to occasionally for short periods of time. These can.

I've got my work cut out for me this summer on my vacations. Neaten up my listening room/library/general storage room(it's a disaster right now), set up my Atmos, prune the rear of all unnecessary wiring so I can put the TV stand back, and set up my Magnepan LRS for a 3rd two channel option.... Not enough room with the stand pushed out from the wall.

The A2.4 will end up on stands in front of the Klipsch for 2 channel, I think, and probably not go upstairs. I have some JBL powered monitors that I was going to put up there, and that's probably what will end up happening.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,572

Quick impressions:
A: I am not a golden ear or wordsmith, you won't get fancy descriptions from me.

The bad part first:

I know my reviews suck.
Basically, they are:

ETA: The driver badly misspelled my name when he fake signed for it.... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
Glad you’re happy.

Your write up had me laughing out loud. Very funny.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use the port bung(s) for that midbass issue you’re having. Might help a little if you’re within ~12” of the back wall.

The A2.4’s bass response was crafted for them to be stand monitors without the port plug. That is, to be further from boundaries.

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Update:

First 3 point Audyssey* run:

1. Finding your mic stand which isn't where you thought you left it, annoying.
2. Unwinding the wires around your Audyssey mike, tedious.
3. Results: Priceless

The mid bass bloat is gone, as expected. I did put in the plugs, but Audyssey made much more of a difference.

Anyways, I plan on running a full 8 point Audyssey later this week, as well as rotating the tweeter. On stands, they'll also be a little closer which will help.

*drh3b's expert Audyssey instructions.
Get a mike** stand and adapter(zoom is easy and cheep).

3 point calibration:
Center
Rotate mic boom one way
Rotate mike boom the other way

8 point calibration
Center x 2
Rotate boom 6 times

Turn everything Audyssey defaults to on off. (MRC and DynEq)
Limit to 500k.
Profit (I think)

**Yes, I know. And the random use of periods, as well.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Update:

First 3 point Audyssey* run:

1. Finding your mic stand which isn't where you thought you left it, annoying.
2. Unwinding the wires around your Audyssey mike, tedious.
3. Results: Priceless

The mid bass bloat is gone, as expected. I did put in the plugs, but Audyssey made much more of a difference.

Anyways, I plan on running a full 8 point Audyssey later this week, as well as rotating the tweeter. On stands, they'll also be a little closer which will help.

*drh3b's expert Audyssey instructions.
Get a mike** stand and adapter(zoom is easy and cheep).

3 point calibration:
Center
Rotate mic boom one way
Rotate mike boom the other way

8 point calibration
Center x 2
Rotate boom 6 times

Turn everything Audyssey defaults to on off. (MRC and DynEq)
Limit to 500k.
Profit (I think)

**Yes, I know. And the random use of periods, as well.
You write fun reviews, need more of these!
Enjoy the speakers :)
When you say the Klipsch are 4db more sensitive, is that by their stated specs? They are known to be very optimistic specs.

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
You write fun reviews, need more of these!
Enjoy the speakers :)
When you say the Klipsch are 4db more sensitive, is that by their stated specs? They are known to be very optimistic specs.
Thank you. :)
I will. :cool:(y)
Measured specs, the RP280f are good sized towers, so even with the 6 db optimistic Klipsch specs, they are just too much bigger for the A2.4 to compete sensitivity wise. The A5.5, which would be the natural competitor to the RP-280f, is closer in sensitivity. :geek: Just based on my experience with the A2.4 leads me to believe I would be just as happy with the A5.5, if not happier as I am with the RP280f.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I enjoyed the L3 a lot over the weekend. Saturday I started experimenting with toe-in a bit. I originally set them up like I do with 90% of the speakers I've owned (which is A LOT!), toed-in so that from my MLP I can just see the the inside walls of the cabinets. That aims the tweeters firing directly at my ears. With recordings that have slightly hot treble it was a bit too much, so I toed them back out approximately 7° so that the tweeters are now firing about 6" outside my ears. It has helped a lot, and it also increased the already great soundstage width while still keeping a strong center image. I'll probably experiment with toeing them out a bit more.

As I expected in the first hours of listing to them, they are absolutely fabulous with high quality recordings, and fully expose any flaws in lesser quality ones. I've owned some revealing speakers in my time, but none so much as the L3. They are a high definition/detail lovers (I am) dream.

They easily fill my smaller room with music much like my JBL S38. The bass digs deep, and I have yet to feel the urge to turn my sub on. The bass has more texture and definition than any bookshelf speaker I've ever owned, hands down. Yesterday morning I listened to a few jazz recordings as I often do on Sunday, and was grinning from ear to ear with the sounds of an upright bass.

The mids are great, faithfully reproducing all the sounds where much of music lives, with great presence that I love. The highs are extended and airy. In some recordings I've played the realism was startling. Listening to the song "So And So" from Holly Cole's "Don't Smoke In Bed" on the Analog Productions SACD, there is finger snapping in the song and it was so real it was like Holly was in the room with me. Another example of the realism was while listening to Bob Dylan's "John Wesley Harding" on SACD. Again, the realism was such that I could close my eyes and picture Bob playing his harmonica right there in my room, no BS. Those a just a couple examples of many I could list.

So yes, you could say I'm happy with the L3 after a few days living with them. I haven't watched any movies with them yet, but I am 100% certain they'll excel with movies equally as good as they do with music. However, music reproduction is by far the top priority for me.

I'll summarize my early impressions with a few words to describe my thoughts of the L3. Some of these are in the description on the product page and I've already mentioned most of them:

• Big
  • Full
  • Open
  • Balanced
  • Spacious
  • Detailed
  • Resolving
  • Engaging
  • Musical
  • High build quality/rock solid cabinets
  • Value for the dollar that only ID/consumer direct can provide

·
Registered
453 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention (again). Regarding the sensitivity: though the specs say they are rated at 85db they are not hard to drive at all. In my room my 85wpc Yamaha A-S501 easily drives them. I have not had to turn the knob up any higher to acheive satisfactory levels than I did with either the JBL S38 or the Wharfedale Diamond 11.2. At about the 9:30-10 o'clock position I'm getting about 75db average levels (dependant on the recording), measured with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Today is new amp day; it arrived this morning and is running the local college station until my wife goes out and I can fully integrate it.

For any comparisons to the amps in the Denon to be meaningful, I'd need to work up a way to easily switch back and forth with my wife doing the switching and with me at least not knowing which is which. I frankly don't have the time or inclination to do that today. I want to play! :)

So in the meantime, I'll take solace in fact that it is objectively a better piece of equipment. It has a lower output impedance which should make it more load invariant, and related to that, it has more power & efficiency which could be beneficial in the few spots my speakers dip around 4 ohms with more difficult phase angles.

Whether that makes a difference in real world use remains to be seen.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,579
One thing I forgot to mention (again). Regarding the sensitivity: though the specs say they are rated at 85db they are not hard to drive at all. In my room my 85wpc Yamaha A-S501 easily drives them. I have not had to turn the knob up any higher to acheive satisfactory levels than I did with either the JBL S38 or the Wharfedale Diamond 11.2. At about the 9:30-10 o'clock position I'm getting about 75db average levels (dependant on the recording), measured with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter.
Jon is conservative on his sens and f3 specs. They are anechoic-style specifications, not in-room as others do.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,580
View attachment 3119330

Today is new amp day; it arrived this morning and is running the local college station until my wife goes out and I can fully integrate it.

For any comparisons to the amps in the Denon to be meaningful, I'd need to work up a way to easily switch back and forth with my wife doing the switching and with me at least not knowing which is which. I frankly don't have the time or inclination to do that today. I want to play! :)

So in the meantime, I'll take solace in fact that it is objectively a better piece of equipment. It has a lower output impedance which should make it more load invariant, and related to that, it has more power & efficiency which could be beneficial in the few spots my speakers dip around 4 ohms with more difficult phase angles.

Whether that makes a difference in real world use remains to be seen.
Trust your ears, my dude.

How could anybody ever play an instrument if they didn’t?

I don’t need measurements to hear that a Martin is better than an Ovation. Listen intelligently and intently. Focus. Take your time. And you will know.

Maybe the difference isn’t enough for you to hear or maybe care about. But getting that heat out of your AVR can only help it last longer.

Oh, and she looks good!!!

7561 - 7580 of 7636 Posts