AVS Forum banner

7581 - 7600 of 7636 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
...I toed them back out approximately 7° so that the tweeters are now firing about 6" outside my ears. It has helped a lot, and it also increased the already great soundstage width while still keeping a strong center image. I'll probably experiment with toeing them out a bit more.
Ditto. Assuming square-to-the-wall is intuitive to some users, and aimed right at you is to others, about halfway between these extremes is a good place to begin. This tweeter has good axial linearity and tends to be fairly forgiving, but toe is still a handy tone control.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I decided to upgrade and purchased a set of A1.5’s and an A2.4 for the center as my HT will be in a 13x13 room. I have to order equipment every paycheck or every other paycheck so I went this route to see if I would even need the 3 A2.4 across the front. Then I started looking at the L series and saw the L3 b-stock available which were an even lower cost than the A1.5 speakers. Basically strict home theater use but was curious if I went the L3 vs two more A2.4 across the front it would be a good choice? Saving money would be great but it’s over $200 savings when shipping is considered. There’s not a lot of feedback from users on these. I don’t have dB level for listening levels but listening tastes are more moderate vs reference levels. Running a PB-1000 Pro sub and Denon AVR-S750h. I thought I had my speakers all planned out and then I saw those at that price. I’m sure they’re amazing speakers but for HT use would it be better to go with the A2.4 across the front? Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally, I feel that the front LCR should match as close as possible. I haven't heard the L3 but from what I've read it has more in common sonically with the 700 series than the A series. As much as I like the A's, I think that the L's would not be a good pair with an A2.4 center. The L's would leave you wanting more from the A2.4.
If you were going to pick up a L3c also, I'd be all for It, but feel for what you are doing three A2.4's would be better.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I decided to upgrade and purchased a set of A1.5’s and an A2.4 for the center as my HT will be in a 13x13 room. I have to order equipment every paycheck or every other paycheck so I went this route to see if I would even need the 3 A2.4 across the front. Then I started looking at the L series and saw the L3 b-stock available which were an even lower cost than the A1.5 speakers.
The B-stock L3s are $55 off, but are sold individually, so $335 each. The A1.5s are $359 a pair.

If they were really selling for less than the A1.5s I would've grabbed them!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I decided to upgrade and purchased a set of A1.5’s and an A2.4 for the center as my HT will be in a 13x13 room. I have to order equipment every paycheck or every other paycheck so I went this route to see if I would even need the 3 A2.4 across the front. Then I started looking at the L series and saw the L3 b-stock available which were an even lower cost than the A1.5 speakers. Basically strict home theater use but was curious if I went the L3 vs two more A2.4 across the front it would be a good choice? Saving money would be great but it’s over $200 savings when shipping is considered. There’s not a lot of feedback from users on these. I don’t have dB level for listening levels but listening tastes are more moderate vs reference levels. Running a PB-1000 Pro sub and Denon AVR-S750h. I thought I had my speakers all planned out and then I saw those at that price. I’m sure they’re amazing speakers but for HT use would it be better to go with the A2.4 across the front? Thanks!
Go with your budget. Buy the L3's and the 2.4. Since this is HT, you will want to eventually move the L3 to surround duties. Since you are saving $200, a single 2.4 is a few Red Robin burger dinners more. Then another 2.4 and you do mac and cheese for two weeks. Voila! A lifetime of bliss, until you get the inevitable upgrade urge. Mix and match speakers? You think when Godzilla and King Kong duke it out you will be able to tell the sound signatures with your racing heartbeat pounding in your head and the Oh No's! and Yes! when these behemoths punch, scratch, bite and with the inevitable breath of fire etc etc., I doubt if anyone can tell the difference.

Maybe, Jon will let you do a layaway if you purchase a whole 5-speaker system. Ask him. If he says no, then, then, then... I don't know. BUT Chanes sell out so quickly, you better jump.

Just saw the above pricing. don't listen to my advice. But then again...don't dawdle. I wanted a 2.4 last summer. I would have had to wait over half a year, maybe nine months, maybe...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Emotiva UPA-7 is now a 6-channel amplifier as I believe the one of the RCA inputs stopped working. So... going to 7.1.4 will need another preamp/receiver, another pair of speakers and another amplifier. Next amp will have balanced and unbalanced inputs as an added precaution. I don't know why I want 4 Atmos speakers. I really rather listen to music more and watch videos less. Then again, this hobby is like drug addiction. Does anyone want to invest in my Audiophile Anonymous rehab center?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The B-stock L3s are $55 off, but are sold individually, so $335 each. The A1.5s are $359 a pair.

If they were really selling for less than the A1.5s I would've grabbed them!
Yeah my excitement got the better of me and failed to pay attention to that part lol.

Just saw the above pricing. don't listen to my advice. But then again...don't dawdle. I wanted a 2.4 last summer. I would have had to wait over half a year, maybe nine months, maybe...
That’s exactly why I feel rushed for the purchase because I’ve been reading about how quickly they sell and could be a period of time before they become available again. Will stick with A series, been trying to pay with debit for the whole thing to avoid credit cards but may just have to go that route and just pay the balance early with the cards. Got them all paid off so trying to keep the balances under 10% lol. Lots of emails with Jon and the speakers wouldn’t mix well it seems so all in all think A series will be for me for now which will be way better than what I have now. Just have to be pro-active of the upgrade bug which tends to be something I’m prone too. Zorba922 suggested waiting for the A6 as well. I think realistically I’ll really enjoy what I get.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can't go wrong with your original idea of 1.5 LR and 2.4 center. When you are ready to do the "Movin' On Up," the 1.5 becomes the surrounds. There are plenty of Chane aficionados with this same exact setup. I have not, not ever, never and nada (for our south of the border readers) heard of any complaints., only kudos. You might be totally satisfied and when you do pass, the mortician will not be able to fix that smile you have had for four score and ten years after you made your Chane purchase.

·
Audio Engineer
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,589
It’s not usually difficult to sell Chane stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anyone have one A5rx-c they would sell, I have one just sitting in a box and I fell horrible about that lol, or if anyone wants one it's a really good price, PM me for details :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone have one A5rx-c they would sell, I have one just sitting in a box and I fell horrible about that lol, or if anyone wants one it's a really good price, PM me for details :cool:
Let's see if we can do a mix and match. I have 1.5's as surrounds. One on a bookshelf and the other on a stand. Now if I exchange out the 1.5 on the stand, then find a solo 1.5, I'd move the Emotiva B1+ which I use as rears someplace else, or just sell them. Or maybe just do the four speaker Atmos setup which is not going to make my system sound better, but upgrading and then upgrading some more is a disease I caught from several posters here on Chane. It's a pandemic!

So, need a single 1.5, (for me) or a single A5rx-c or any A5 (for you). Maybe you can also contact Jon to see if he has any old, musty speakers in the shed downwind and behind the outhouse in the yard behind the Chane factory. Jon? Jon?!

Reactions: BufordTJustice

·
Registered
325 Posts
Let's see if we can do a mix and match. I have 1.5's as surrounds. One on a bookshelf and the other on a stand. Now if I exchange out the 1.5 on the stand, then find a solo 1.5, I'd move the Emotiva B1+ which I use as rears someplace else, or just sell them. Or maybe just do the four speaker Atmos setup which is not going to make my system sound better, but upgrading and then upgrading some more is a disease I caught from several posters here on Chane. It's a pandemic!

So, need a single 1.5, (for me) or a single A5rx-c or any A5 (for you). Maybe you can also contact Jon to see if he has any old, musty speakers in the shed downwind and behind the outhouse in the yard behind the Chane factory. Jon? Jon?!

Now that is a confusing post haha, he doesn't have any I already asked, my price is real nice in Canadian Dollars but shipping wouldn't be cheap but like I mentioned my price is cheap, it's listed on the Chane Forum :cool:

Reactions: BufordTJustice

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can't go wrong with your original idea of 1.5 LR and 2.4 center. When you are ready to do the "Movin' On Up," the 1.5 becomes the surrounds. There are plenty of Chane aficionados with this same exact setup. I have not, not ever, never and nada (for our south of the border readers) heard of any complaints., only kudos. You might be totally satisfied and when you do pass, the mortician will not be able to fix that smile you have had for four score and ten years after you made your Chane purchase.
Yup that’s the conclusion I’m coming up with, research can only do so much and I’ve done a lot of it now it’s time to listen. It’s a big upgrade from what I have. Just felt hurried to get it done while they are available for sale but I just decided I’m going to use a credit card, can get 12 mo zero interest pay it off in two. I rarely treat myself, most goes into savings I can’t touch so it’s time. May get ahold of a b-stock a2.4 held so will complete the a2.4 up front, a1.5 rears, a4.5 for height. I’m fully expecting to be very happy with it for years. Don’t have a trained ear so it will probably be mind boggling with a giant grin on my face.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I'm likely really overthinking this, but is anyone else using the Chane A4.5s as their surrounds in a 5.1? If so, how do you have them positioned? Currently, I have mine 90 degrees off the MLP (perfectly to the sides), and I have the tweeters 1 foot higher than seated ear height. (As a note, my couch is basically right up against the rear wall - which I realize is not ideal.)

However, in other threads where I've been considering adding in-ceiling Atmos to go to 5.1.2, I've had a bunch of people mention how the 5.1 Dolby guide states that my surrounds should be slightly behind the MLP (110-120, instead of 90 degrees), and at seated ear height (not above).

This is what it currently looks like where I have them (for reference, there is only ~6.5" of space between the back edge of the surround and the rear wall of the room):

However, should I consider wedging it all the way into the corner and angling it 10 degrees out, so that it would look like this? Or would I just be creating more bad sound interactions with the rear wall?

Or lastly, should I consider putting it sideways, as a way to get it as close to seated ear height as I can?

Curious to your opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I'm likely really overthinking this, but is anyone else using the Chane A4.5s as their surrounds in a 5.1? If so, how do you have them positioned? Currently, I have mine 90 degrees off the MLP (perfectly to the sides), and I have the tweeters 1 foot higher than seated ear height. (As a note, my couch is basically right up against the rear wall - which I realize is not ideal.)

However, in other threads where I've been considering adding in-ceiling Atmos to go to 5.1.2, I've had a bunch of people mention how the 5.1 Dolby guide states that my surrounds should be slightly behind the MLP (110-120, instead of 90 degrees), and at seated ear height (not above).

This is what it currently looks like where I have them (for reference, there is only ~6.5" of space between the back edge of the surround and the rear wall of the room):
View attachment 3120913 View attachment 3120915 View attachment 3120914

However, should I consider wedging it all the way into the corner and angling it 10 degrees out, so that it would look like this? Or would I just be creating more bad sound interactions with the rear wall?
View attachment 3120916 View attachment 3120917

Or lastly, should I consider putting it sideways, as a way to get it as close to seated ear height as I can?
View attachment 3120921 View attachment 3120922

Curious to your opinions!
I'm guessing that your main listening position is on the couch along the back wall. Twelve inches above ear level is not bad. It probably keeps other people's heads from getting in the way of the sound.
As far as the rest of it goes, I suggest taking the speakers off of the nail that they are hanging on, setting them on a shoebox or something and listening to them in the different positions that you are suggesting. Sit in different places around the room and hear how they sound. Which ever position sounds the best to you would be the one I'd recommend going with.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
I like the last option, but with the back of the speaker attached horizontally to the side wall. Have the smaller side of the angle facing forward and the larger side facing the rear wall. Keep them a foot above seated ear level or try 18" (test various heights before mounting permanently).

I very much agree with the prior poster. Try all the options and let your ears decide before you commit to new holes in the wall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm guessing that your main listening position is on the couch along the back wall. Twelve inches above ear level is not bad. It probably keeps other people's heads from getting in the way of the sound.
As far as the rest of it goes, I suggest taking the speakers off of the nail that they are hanging on, setting them on a shoebox or something and listening to them in the different positions that you are suggesting. Sit in different places around the room and hear how they sound. Which ever position sounds the best to you would be the one I'd recommend going with.
Yep, the MLP is on the couch pretty much right up against the rear wall. Also yea, the 1 foot height was to get it so that one person's head didn't block another's "view" of the sound. Yea, probably the best approach is temporarily staging them in all three positions and see what sounds best.

I like the last option, but with the back of the speaker attached horizontally to the side wall. Have the smaller side of the angle facing forward and the larger side facing the rear wall. Keep them a foot above seated ear level or try 18" (test various heights before mounting permanently). I very much agree with the prior poster. Try all the options and let your ears decide before you commit to new holes in the wall.
Yea, I'll plan to find a way to temporarily stage them before committing to any new holes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yea, I'll plan to find a way to temporarily stage them before committing to any new holes.
In my experience with side surrounds, whenever I hear a siren, bullet or any other sound, I am slightly surprised. "They work!" Is in the back of my brain. In my totally subjective and without any merit thoughts is that they work 20% of the time. Mostly just a low accent from what LCR is playing. Don't overthink, in my opinion. The soundstage of the speakers are adequate for most positions. Of course, there will be the search for perfection, and if I can speak for others, we all do that. Whatever sounds best, whatever looks best, whatever works is 1,2,3 of your decision. Now Forget you read this.

7581 - 7600 of 7636 Posts