AVS Forum banner

7521 - 7525 of 7525 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well that was an interesting exercise. My Epson TW9400 has 3 settings for video range - auto, limited and full. So it’s easy to switch between auto and one of the other settings to see what the display is receiving. For instance, when displaying a black field from a player, switching between auto and limited has no effect, but switching to full makes the screen very grey.

Now, Booting Windows natively on the MacBook, and therefore using Intel drivers, it looks like it’s outputting full range. Switching between auto and limited makes the screen darker, but auto and full have the same grey screen.

It’s different booting using Parallels, where Windows will see the virtual Parallels graphics driver. Auto and limited produce the same darker screen, switching to full gets the grey screen. There is one other difference in this scenario - the display can only be driven at 60Hz, whereas when booting natively there is the normal range of frequencies. Would this matter much, if at all?

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Yamaha A1060, Outlaw 2200 *3 , Niles 2150 *1, Klipsch RP speakers
131 Posts
I am running Epson 5050UB, with Panasonic UB9000 UHD player in my theater room. Can I use Chromapure to calibrate my setup? It seems like I need to feed the signal from a PC? Is there a way to feed test signal from Bluray? What else would I need to get the calibration going? What would be the right ChromaPure kit to buy?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I am running Epson 5050UB, with Panasonic UB9000 UHD player in my theater room. Can I use Chromapure to calibrate my setup? It seems like I need to feed the signal from a PC? Is there a way to feed test signal from Bluray? What else would I need to get the calibration going? What would be the right ChromaPure kit to buy?
You can use any test disc, but this one was specifically designed for ChromePure. Note, this is SDR only, as are the PC signals with the built in pattern generator.

I would love to see some improved HDR calibration functionality in ChromePure to simplify it and an HDR disc, but it's not available (yet). For HDR, you can use some test files on the Spears and Munsil or Masciola paterns..

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
for the latest version of chormapure, the 20% increments in the Gamut options not working for me. I chose it, but the drop down list for color saturation still shows the 75%, 50% and 25% options. anyone else gets this problem?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Given my post 7,521 above, I’m wondering something. If, as it seems, video output from Chromapure on a Macbook Pro via a USB-C/HDMI adapter is at the full range level, is it permissible to just switch my Epson projector to limited range to see the correct black levels? Or is this putting the video signal through some sort of inadvisable conversion?

EDIT: @Dominic Chan @TomHuffman any chance you could help me out here? I know I could do a calibration check against a disc, but I’m interested in the theory here too.

7521 - 7525 of 7525 Posts