AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2737 of 2737 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Planning on buying two MAs for my couch.

The bottom of my couch looks like this: http://www.bestbetmovingandlabor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/image01-320x240.jpg

There are two metal bars that run the length of the three person couch.

It is on top of carpet on concrete.

Hopefully I don't need a full sheet of plywood under the couch, that would be a nonstarter.

What is the recommended setup in this case? Carpet->small plywood square->MA->small plywood square->couch?

What isolation feet are best? The crowson ones or the amazon ones people have linked?

How many isolation feet do I need? 50 lbs per foot would mean 10 feet, in addition to the MAs

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

The bottom of my couch looks like this: http://www.bestbetmovingandlabor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/image01-320x240.jpg

Hopefully I don't need a full sheet of plywood under the couch, that would be a nonstarter.

What is the recommended setup in this case? Carpet->small plywood square->MA->small plywood square->couch?

What isolation feet are best? The crowson ones or the amazon ones people have linked?

How many isolation feet do I need? 50 lbs per foot would mean 10 feet, in addition to the MAs
Carpet, plywood square, MA, couch feet. For isolation feet put that on every feet that the MAs are not on.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had Crowsons for a long time before I got a mini-DSP, and loved them. It's true that the mini-DSP (and a calibration by CallingMrBenzo and aron7awol) made the experience better, but if it were a choice of nothing or Crowsons without a mini-DSP, I'd still get the Crowsons.

After all, you can always upgrade/make the experience better, later.
I've had mine a few years now and while I loved them with some movies, I wasn't as much of a fan of them with others. Just recently I finally got the miniDSP and with the help pf aron7awol's recommended settings and a little BEQ, these things are completely blowng my mind and making everything feel new again. This is how I always imagined they should be.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I've had mine a few years now and while I loved them with some movies, I wasn't as much of a fan of them with others. Just recently I finally got the miniDSP and with the help pf aron7awol's recommended settings and a little BEQ, these things are completely blowng my mind and making everything feel new again. This is how I always imagined they should be.
Amen! If anyone who has Crowsons hasn't tried the 6dB/oct curve yet, they are seriously missing out! They really do feel like a whole new device with that curve.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Amen! If anyone who has Crowsons hasn't tried the 6dB/oct curve yet, they are seriously missing out! They really do feel like a whole new device with that curve.
Agree! Most don't realize they have to turn up the gain/volume on the amp when trying lower xover curves. So if you don't do that I can see why those people don't notice a difference if they didn't turn up the gain.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Agree! Most don't realize they have to turn up the gain/volume on the amp when trying lower xover curves. So if you don't do that I can see why those people don't notice a difference if they didn't turn up the gain.

I am a new crowson owner, so still setting things up. I am using an Nx3000.
I thought the gain on the amp is supposed to be set to max.

What is the 6db curve? And how to set it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I am a new crowson owner, so still setting things up. I am using an Nx3000.
I thought the gain on the amp is supposed to be set to max.

What is the 6db curve? And how to set it up?
You're right, you should set the amp at max.

Do you have a miniDSP? If so, enter a LPF 10Hz BW 6dB/oct. If you don't, there are some iNuke/NX specific curves in the TR Curves post in my signature.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone know the exact battery type in the remote control for The D-501 amp? My wife needed a battery and I didn’t check what the number was on the battery. TIA!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Few questions.

1. What happens when the + and - terminals are reversed? ( eg. connect the + from Amp to the - of Crowson)? Is it the same as the inverse in miniDsp?
2. Do we have a recommended way to connect NX3000 ( not DSP ) to a single Crowson? Which of the setting to use? Mono/Stereo/Bridged? And what to do with the crossover swtich?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Few questions.

1. What happens when the + and - terminals are reversed? ( eg. connect the + from Amp to the - of Crowson)? Is it the same as the inverse in miniDsp?

2. Do we have a recommended way to connect NX3000 ( not DSP ) to a single Crowson? Which of the setting to use? Mono/Stereo/Bridged? And what to do with the crossover swtich?

You can run a single Crowson in a single channel it will just be 8 ohms. You want mono input if you are only inputting a single XLR input. You do not want bridged mode on output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
271 Posts

I have a similar setup, actually sent emails to Randall with pics of the couch flipped in store and had him verify it would work. The salesman kept a nice straight face upon hearing I need to flip the couch for my HT. It does work, just make sure the rubber feet sit on the crowson and the metal bar isn't touching the MA. Also that is a heavy couch, you will probably want to order more Iso's, the more you have the better the MA's perform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I’ve just gotten a pair of the Crowsons. I’ve read that they will move from left to right. Are there any recommended demo clips to experience this? In that case how do we determine which is the ‘Left’ or ‘Right’ actuator during installation as it depends on whether the speaker cable is coming from the left or right under the sofa? thanks

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Hi guys, I’ve just gotten a pair of the Crowsons. I’ve read that they will move from left to right. Are there any recommended demo clips to experience this? In that case how do we determine which is the ‘Left’ or ‘Right’ actuator during installation as it depends on whether the speaker cable is coming from the left or right under the sofa? thanks
They go up down.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi, I have a question about the Crowson amp. Mine is no longer working. According to the manual if the power light is red, then amp is in standby mode and no power is output. The power light must be blue. I am unable to toggle the power button to get the blue light to come on. When I do toggle, the blue lights for music/movie does come on. I just want to confirm that the manual is correct and the "power" light must be blue. Thanks

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hi, I have a question about the Crowson amp. Mine is no longer working. According to the manual if the power light is red, then amp is in standby mode and no power is output. The power light must be blue. I am unable to toggle the power button to get the blue light to come on. When I do toggle, the blue lights for music/movie does come on. I just want to confirm that the manual is correct and the "power" light must be blue. Thanks
If you have the main power switch on the back of the unit to the "on" position then the red light is the standby. To turn it completely on you will see a blue light in either music/movie mode come on.

·
Registered
12,781 Posts
As MOberhardt pointed out, the actuators only move in a vertical direction. If you mean in "stereo" with separate left/right signals, I suppose that could be accomplished if you fed them from you front left/right speaker pre-outs, but then you would be missing out on the LFE channel, which is really what the MAs were designed for. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you have the main power switch on the back of the unit to the "on" position then the red light is the standby. To turn it completely on you will see a blue light in either music/movie mode come on.
Thanks for the reply. I am in contact with Randolph now. It appears that the amp will not go out of standby mode. I am hopeful Randolph can help sort this out without having to send back as I live in Canada.

2721 - 2737 of 2737 Posts