AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3005 Posts

·
Registered
5,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22838430

I just spoke to Crowson today as I was not sure if ordering dual shadow units was necessary for my (2) theater seats coming but they confirmed that (1) should be enough unless the chairs are not connected very well and I could add another later.

Looking forward to having these !!!

Hey man, it depends on your arm rests. I initially set mine up with one under each separating armrest so all three of my seats would be covered....didn't work. I needed the one per seat.

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22838430

I just spoke to Crowson today as I was not sure if ordering dual shadow units was necessary for my (2) theater seats coming but they confirmed that (1) should be enough unless the chairs are not connected very well and I could add another later.

Looking forward to having these !!!
What amp will you be using?

Craig

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/20_20#post_22838498

Hey man, it depends on your arm rests. I initially set mine up with one under each separating armrest so all three of my seats would be covered....didn't work. I needed the one per seat.

Looks like I can't go wrong with (2) and fortunately for me they are caught up on back orders!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/20_20#post_22838620

What amp will you be using?

Craig

Amplification:

I have a spare Emotiva Amp that offers 125 x 2 at 8 ohms but can handle lower impedance's but if I go with that I will only be controlling the crowson's through my oppo and don't know if I really need more control since movie is the only time I plan to use them.

Decisions Decisions !!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22838673

Amplification:

I have a spare Emotiva Amp that offers 125 x 2 at 8 ohms but can handle lower impedance's but if I go with that I will only be controlling the crowson's through my oppo and don't know if I really need more control since movie is the only time I plan to use them.

Decisions Decisions !!!!!
The issues with that setup are:

LPF = the LPF in the Oppo's crossover. Depending on what model Oppo you have, this could be a limited choice.

Distance/Delays = the maximum distance differential you can set in the Oppo.

Levels = No Control

Honestly, without some more refined controls, I don't think that will work well.

Craig

Reactions: Nabs17

·
Registered
5,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22838751

LPF = the LPF in the Oppo's crossover. Depending on what model Oppo you have, this could be a limited choice.

Levels = No Control

Honestly, without some more refined controls, I don't think that will work well.

Craig

I think he's rolling with a 93. Could he switch the Oppo internal volume from fixed (default) to variable and set the sub-output volume that way?

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/20_20#post_22838751

Levels = No Control

Craig

I have a Oppo BDP- 93 and although it has some features built it may not be enough to control them to my needs so as backup idea the emotiva may stay were it is and I will just pick up a beringer iNUKE as it has endless controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/20_20#post_22838796

I think he's rolling with a 93. Could he switch the Oppo internal volume from fixed (default) to variable and set the sub-output volume that way?

That's the idea I wanted too try Brolic but if it does not work the beringer would get the job done.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22838831

I have a Oppo BDP- 93 and although it has some features built it may not be enough to control them to my needs so as backup idea the emotiva may stay were it is and I will just pick up a beringer iNUKE as it has endless controls.

That's the idea I wanted too try Brolic but if it does not work the beringer would get the job done.

Yessss, the iNuke is a feature-laiden monster!

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22838796

You, sir, are correct. I just went down and tried it in my Oppo 93. It works, but it only works from the remote, and the Volume +/-buttons on the remote are not exactly obvious. Nonetheless, it works, and that's all that matters. I had never noticed that feature before.

Ya learn sumpthin new every day!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to MikeDuke, CraigJohn & BrolicBeast for recommending the Crowson Actuators! I received mine yesterday, 2 actually, one for my recliner and one for my wife’s recliner. I did a lil fine tuning and watched 4 full length movies on it since yesterday, demoed a few scenes from some other movies and listened to some music. I’ll do a full write up/review on them in a week or two once I have even more time with them but I had very high expectations going in and also had some reservations (i.e. gimmicky or unnatural feel). So far my worries/concerns are unfounded and my high expectations are exceeded – “Holy Fornicating Excrement, Exceeded!!!”
If ya’ know what I mean.

Reactions: healthnut

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Great stuff Claude. Glad they are working for you
. Like I really had any doubts
. Haven't posted much in this thread but all I can say is what I have been saying. The Crowsons just add that extra layer of fun to all movies. I am so glad that I asked Craig if I could try them out. As I have said before, I will never have a system without them. Ever. Again, Claude. I am really happy that they worked out for you. Every movie will be like a new experience.

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22876148

Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to MikeDuke, CraigJohn & BrolicBeast for recommending the Crowson Actuators! I received mine yesterday, 2 actually, one for my recliner and one for my wife’s recliner. I did a lil fine tuning and watched 4 full length movies on it since yesterday, demoed a few scenes from some other movies and listened to some music. I’ll do a full write up/review on them in a week or two once I have even more time with them but I had very high expectations going in and also had some reservations (i.e. gimmicky or unnatural feel). So far my worries/concerns are unfounded and my high expectations are exceeded –

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread#post_22876148

Holy Fornicating Excrement, Exceeded!!!”
If ya’ know what I mean.
I don't know what you mean... could you be more specific?

Craig

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks again guys!

Mike,

You are correct; I am running the Buttkicker BKA1000-N amp. I followed yours and Craig’s recommendation on starting off at a very low volume on the BKA amp and inching up the volume until I felt I had the appropriate tactile feeling. I am slightly under the 4th notch on the BK amp or right below the 10’oclock position. I think you said you were at the 3rd notch but I think I may need my gain a little more up since I am powering 2 Actuators in parallel. I tested a few movies with really low hard hitting content (like BlackHawk Down and WOTW) to see if the Actuator would make any funny noises or get warm and for the level I am using them at and it was VERY quiet and cool even after consecutive repeated demos.

I’ve watched the following movie:

Horton Hears a Who

Tron Legacy

The Amazing Spiderman

Demoted (I wanted to watch a non bass movie to see if the Crowson would some way ruin the experience of non bass heavy movies, so far it only enhances the experience in all movies tested...same for music too).

I have a lot more I plan to watch in the next week or two

People might read this next paragraph and interpret as feeling fake or unnatural but on the contrary, I think it feels great! My wife and I watched Tron Legacy last night. We seen this movie at least twice in our home and once at an XD Theater that had very powerful bass. Prior to the Crowsons, my wife has commented in the past on specific scenes of this movie - like "That feels nice!" or "Wow, that was cool". Last night was the first time I heard her drop a Very Enthused Religious F-Bomb
during that movie.
After the movie, the wife also mentioned that I had a smile plastered on my face from the beginning of that movie to the point where the credits rolled

·
Registered
5,894 Posts

Quote:

Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to MikeDuke, CraigJohn & BrolicBeast for recommending the Crowson Actuators! I received mine yesterday, 2 actually, one for my recliner and one for my wife’s recliner. I did a lil fine tuning and watched 4 full length movies on it since yesterday, demoed a few scenes from some other movies and listened to some music. I’ll do a full write up/review on them in a week or two once I have even more time with them but I had very high expectations going in and also had some reservations (i.e. gimmicky or unnatural feel). So far my worries/concerns are unfounded and my high expectations are exceeded – “Holy Fornicating Excrement, Exceeded!!!”
If ya’ know what I mean.

Hey man, happy to help! They definitely are as accurate and faithful to the signal as one can ask for. I'm glad your expectations have been exceeded Claude! Tometimes I wish I had one in the office connected to my throat--so when I hum bass notes to myself, I'd feel a thousand upside-down fairies dancing upon the BrolicCheeks. lol....Once again, I'm very happy that you've found satisfaction in these great devices!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The more personal reviews I hear about these makes the anticipation greater but I must wait for the seats to arrive, with my luck everything shows at the same time:D

I am going to try either the beringer or buttkicker (both good choices) for amplification/crossover and use the Oppo-BDP 93 for a LFE source .

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/30#post_22881684

The more personal reviews I hear about these makes the anticipation greater but I must wait for the seats to arrive, with my luck everything shows at the same time:D

I am going to try either the beringer or buttkicker (both good choices) for amplification/crossover and use the Oppo-BDP 93 for a LFE source .
I have not had good luck with the Behringer amp when connected to the Oppo's analog subwoofer output. The Oppo puts out too low of a signal to drive the Behringer. If you want to use the Behringer with the Oppo, you'll want something like this to raise the signal level: http://www.henryeng.com/matchbox.html

Otherwise, all of us using the Buttkicker amp are really enjoying it. Just realize that there is the potential for the Buttkicker amp to overdrive the Crowson. If you start off with the Volume low, and slowly raise it until you get a satisfactory effect, you'll be fine. Just don't start out at full Volume or you'll overdrive the Crowson.

Craig

·
Registered
7,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/30#post_22881952

I have not had good luck with the Behringer amp when connected to the Oppo's analog subwoofer output. The Oppo puts out too low of a signal to drive the Behringer. If you want to use the Behringer with the Oppo, you'll want something like this to raise the signal level: http://www.henryeng.com/matchbox.html

Otherwise, all of us using the Buttkicker amp are really enjoying it. Just realize that there is the potential for the Buttkicker amp to overdrive the Crowson. If you start off with the Volume low, and slowly raise it until you get a satisfactory effect, you'll be fine. Just don't start out at full Volume or you'll overdrive the Crowson.

Craig
Tell me about it
. Even half power from the new BK amp may be too much. For my chair, with my setup, 3 on the amp is plenty. Battle for LA was just insane last night. Yea, I am glad I made Craig bring them over so I could try them out.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Even though this is the Crowson thread, I have to say that I am impressed with the Buttkicker warranty support. I just bought a new Buttkicker 1000N amp and I have been having issues with it going out of sleep mode when there is no signal or RCA cable connected to it. The amp still works but as soon as I turn it on, it will move out of Standby/Sleep mode even if there is no signal to it or even if I disconnect the RCA cable that is sending it a signal. Since I just bought this amp, I would have just returned it and ordered a new one but since I just received my Crowson, I did not want any down time without an amp. A few emails and quick call to Buttkicker support explaining the symptoms and my situation and they are sending a new amp and will send me a UPS label to return the current amp at their cost. I am very impressed how quickly they responded and their willingness to help.

21 - 40 of 3005 Posts