AVS Forum banner

8001 - 8020 of 10878 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr
I really wish I could say the same. I've had mine for 8 months also, but I have to bring it in for repairs for the 3rd time. When it works, I'm very happy with it.

Are the problems that some of us have had with this receiver common among other manufactures and models? I'm assuming that with all the new gadgetry on these newer AVRs that there are more things that can go wrong. I had a Yamaha before this, and it worked great for 7 years without a hiccup, but of course there was no networking or fancy HDMI inputs to deal with.
I have 3 other friends that bought 3311 within a month or two of mine, and they as well are haveing no problems,well one dude but he has a hard time programming the time on his microwave!.we all bought from same store in our small town in canada

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV DRAGON
I have 3 other friends that bought 3311 within a month or two of mine, and they as well are haveing no problems,well one dude but he has a hard time programming the time on his microwave!.we all bought from same store in our small town in canada
I have mine since september and all good with mine, I did 3 software updates without a single problem, just great sound and big happy smile.

·
Registered
640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr /forum/post/20643567

I really wish I could say the same. I've had mine for 8 months also, but I have to bring it in for repairs for the 3rd time. When it works, I'm very happy with it.

Are the problems that some of us have had with this receiver common among other manufactures and models? I'm assuming that with all the new gadgetry on these newer AVRs that there are more things that can go wrong. I had a Yamaha before this, and it worked great for 7 years without a hiccup, but of course there was no networking or fancy HDMI inputs to deal with.

HDMI board failures are in no way unique to Denon. Check out the Onkyo 606 threads if you want to see the nightmare that was. In fact it was my 606 HDMI failing about the time the 2 year warranty expired that lead me to the Denon 3311ci. To Onkyo's credit they were fixing many of them out of warranty. I decided it was a good excuse to switch brands and upgrade.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV DRAGON /forum/post/20643790

Well, I guess I was just unlucky then. All is working fine now except for the "Game" input. Hopefully, I can just get that replaced and then enjoy many years of enjoyment from it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found that for the LG 55LW6500 TV, select SIMPLINK, then for speakers choose HT Speakers and the Denon 3311ci comes on beautifully.

Anyone knows if the 3311CI can upconvert/deinterlace 1080i to 1080p? Our provider's signal is 1080i and our TV can support 1080p...

If not 3311CI, is there another receiver that can do the 1080i to 1080p?

Thanks...

·
Registered
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patran /forum/post/20647487

I found that for the LG 55LW6500 TV, select SIMPLINK, then for speakers choose HT Speakers and the Denon 3311ci comes on beautifully.

Anyone knows if the 3311CI can upconvert/deinterlace 1080i to 1080p? Our provider's signal is 1080i and our TV can support 1080p...

If not 3311CI, is there another receiver that can do the 1080i to 1080p?

Thanks...

does a great job at it as well. my starchoice receiver only outputs 1080i and the 3311 upconverts it to 1080p excellent on my samsung 58" plasma

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am just getting around to moving my HTPC to its permanent location in my HT room but with this new configuration I am not able to pass video/audio via HDMI. My HTPC connects through a Denon 3311ci to a AE4000 projector. My HTPC has a GeForce GT-240 graphics card and is running Ubuntu OS. All of the involved components work individually, but this particular configuration is causing me grief.

Here is what I know:

* HDMI works when HTPC is connected to a TV

* HDMI works when HTPC is connected directly to the AE4000. I even tried the same cable that connects the Denon to the Panny. No issues.

* HDMI is only able to output textual content (DOS/Terminal) when HTCP is connected through Denon to AE4000. As soon as Gnome is loaded, the Panny input signal blinks and no picture is ever displayed. Why would text display ok but not X11 (only when connected through AVR)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
^^

HTPC connections are iffy at best. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the HTPC video card. Try ALL of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. Try a 12'+ HDMI cable from the HTPC to the AVR if available. Try using another video card in the HTPC if available as that is generally what many HTPC owner's end up doing to resolve the connection issue unless the decision is made to connect video straight to the TV with audio only to the AVR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My TV shows 1080i when my cable box is HDMI'ed to the 3311CI, then HDMI'ed to the TV -- HDMI on all links. That said, when the cable box HDMI'ed to the 3311ci, then the TV, the picture quality seems a taf better than when the cable box was HDMI'ed directly to the TV....

Either way, my 3311ci seesm to have gone went belly up today. I disconnected everything but the power cord and the 3311ci would just power up for a few seconds, the power down with a "red ring" around the power button. Sometime, it manages to stay on for 10-15 seconds...and at other times, just a few seconds...arghh

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20649748

^^

HTPC connections are iffy at best. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the HTPC video card. Try ALL of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. Try a 12'+ HDMI cable from the HTPC to the AVR if available. Try using another video card in the HTPC if available as that is generally what many HTPC owner's end up doing to resolve the connection issue unless the decision is made to connect video straight to the TV with audio only to the AVR.

Thanks for the response jd.

I actually got a clue as to what the problem was by looking at this log file /var/log/Xorg.1.log. These were the types of errors I found in this log file:

(WW) Jul 03 22:23:20 NVIDIA(0): The EDID for DENON, Ltd. DENON-AVAMP (DFP-1) contradicts

(WW) Jul 03 22:23:20 NVIDIA(0): itself: mode "1920x1080" is specified in the EDID;

(WW) Jul 03 22:23:20 NVIDIA(0): DENON, Ltd. DENON-AVAMP (DFP-1)'s EDID does not contain a

(WW) Jul 03 22:23:20 NVIDIA(0): maximum image size; cannot compute DPI from DENON, Ltd.

(WW) Jul 03 22:23:20 NVIDIA(0): DENON-AVAMP (DFP-1)'s EDID.

After I realized I had an EDID problem I did some googling and found some instructions on how to properly setup xorg.conf. These instructions fixed my HTPC HDMI video issues: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=70068

Everything is working like a charm now

·
Registered
391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x /forum/post/20640994

So what's the general consensus on the 3311ci? I'm thinking about buying one of these now as its feature set and price offers precisely what I'm looking for. I'm a touch concerned by reports of failing components, however. Any idea just how common this problem really is? Is it still worth picking up?

My network just went out on mine. I have had it for about 8 months now. I tried to reset it without any luck. I know me and the wife are not going to be happy if I have to ship this off. Very disappointed in the quality of this receiver.

Chad

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareB /forum/post/20653481

My network just went out on mine. I have had it for about 8 months now. I tried to reset it without any luck. I know me and the wife are not going to be happy if I have to ship this off. Very disappointed in the quality of this receiver.

Chad

Just curious if you have the latest firmware update and what exactly happened to your receiver?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
Nope, it won't go away until you change the setting. Changing the "Upgrade" setting to OFF will prevent notification of any future "feature upgrades" not firmware updates; however, with the release of the 3312CI (and every successive model after that), there's very little chance of a future upgrade to the 3311/991.
So I didn't bother turning off the setting(s) until recently as it wasn't really bothering me. However I believe now that the notification is causing a Harmony remote to not switch inputs correctly unless I turn the "Power On Delay" up by more than double. I think this is because of the extra ~1-2 seconds where the AVR is showing the "AVR-991 UPGRADE" message so I've now turned off the notifications however the message is still showing up on every power cycle.

So now the settings are both set to "Off" but the front of the AVR is still showing "AVR-991 UPGRADE" when it's turned on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi.

Just to close the theme of "bi-ampling" in the 3311 (for me)... is the same effect "Amp-Assign: Bi-amp" or bi-wiring via "A" front channel? will I have the same result?

Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareB /forum/post/20653481

Chad

There's something significant in the 8th month it seems. Most of my problems began in the 8th month as well. I seem to recall others saying 8 months also. This receiver is great when it works, and only a small percentage are having problems. I have to take mine in for service for the

3rd time.

I've been trying to see if this a Denon issue or specific to this receiver, or whether it's a function of all newer AVRs. They are certainly more complex than they used to be. I don't have any definite answers yet.

·
Registered
30,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobias /forum/post/20657696

Hi.

Just to close the theme of "bi-ampling" in the 3311 (for me)... is the same effect "Amp-Assign: Bi-amp" or bi-wiring via "A" front channel? will I have the same result?

Thanks!

the result will be the same in the sense that it shouldn't sound any different, but bi-amping is NOT the same thing as bi-wiring.

bi-amping = 2 amps per speaker

bi-wiring = 1 amp per speaker, just with double the wires

8001 - 8020 of 10878 Posts