AVS Forum banner

20481 - 20500 of 20769 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Issue with Main Power Switch

Kyle454 or others - I searched around and only found Kyle454's situation was like mine -

Did this issue with the main power switch not staying on or in standby mode ever get sorted out. The description below just happened to me yesterday AM. Kid tried to watch some cartoons, and nothing from the receiver - TV, Cable/DVR work fine, but unit was no longer in standby mode after watching a ball game the night before.

If I hold the switch in and turn the unit on all is good and seems to function as normal. Clearly, holding the switch down to watch TV/Movies/or listen to my choice of music is not going to work. Neither is paying a shop a bunch of cash if the its something more than a switch replacement.

kyle454 - so today out of the blue my 3808 receiver won't turn on! I noticed the red power indicator light around the bigger power button wasn't on, I press the power switch and the receiver turns on when I hold it down but when I let off the receiver shuts off? WTF! anyone had a problem like this?

Help plz!/

jdsmoothie
You're pressing the small button and it won't go in to Standby mode?/

kyle454Quote: Originally Posted by jdsmoothie

^^
You're pressing the small button and it won't go in to Standby mode?

exactly!/

That is strange. Try unplugging the unit for a few minutes. If still no joy, you'll likely have to reset the microprocessor or may want to pop the top and see if you can find something loose or a blown fuse.

ok, will do, thanks
do you think never updating the FW has anything to do with it?
it worked fine last night...luckily it's still under warranty!/

kyle454ok, thank you!/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't post links and such or PM Kyle454 to see what his resolution was. Can someone help by replying and adding his user name so he will be flagged to look at this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help sought - back speakers not present

If you only have a 5.1 setup, the surround speaker should be connected to the "Surround" speaker posts and not "Surround Back."

If you have a 7.1 setup, the SB CH OUT setting (p. 43 Owner's manual) should be set to PLIIx - Cinema.
This is a 7.1 setup, using "7.1" Audyssey mode, not the "7.1b" one.

The issue is I have no such option under the menu (SB CH OUT) - possibly because the speakers are not detected during the speaker calibration.

I might be wrong in assuming speaker calibration should work no matter what sound mode is chosen, as it is soundmode-agnostic?

Any and all help welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still looking for help on the main power switch

Bump - still looking for help on the main power switch.

Kyle454 or others - I searched around and only found Kyle454's situation was like mine -

Did this issue with the main power switch not staying on or in standby mode ever get sorted out. The description below just happened to me yesterday AM. Kid tried to watch some cartoons, and nothing from the receiver - TV, Cable/DVR work fine, but unit was no longer in standby mode after watching a ball game the night before.

If I hold the switch in and turn the unit on all is good and seems to function as normal. Clearly, holding the switch down to watch TV/Movies/or listen to my choice of music is not going to work. Neither is paying a shop a bunch of cash if the its something more than a switch replacement.

kyle454 - so today out of the blue my 3808 receiver won't turn on! I noticed the red power indicator light around the bigger power button wasn't on, I press the power switch and the receiver turns on when I hold it down but when I let off the receiver shuts off? WTF! anyone had a problem like this?

Help plz!/

jdsmoothie
You're pressing the small button and it won't go in to Standby mode?/

^^
You're pressing the small button and it won't go in to Standby mode?

exactly!/

That is strange. Try unplugging the unit for a few minutes. If still no joy, you'll likely have to reset the microprocessor or may want to pop the top and see if you can find something loose or a blown fuse.

ok, will do, thanks
do you think never updating the FW has anything to do with it?
it worked fine last night...luckily it's still under warranty!/

kyle454ok, thank you!/

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
This is a 7.1 setup, using "7.1" Audyssey mode, not the "7.1b" one.

The issue is I have no such option under the menu (SB CH OUT) - possibly because the speakers are not detected during the speaker calibration.

I might be wrong in assuming speaker calibration should work no matter what sound mode is chosen, as it is soundmode-agnostic?

Any and all help welcome!
Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 58 Owner's manual).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, likely a repair, since in discussions with Denon customer service that is not a replacement part that is available.

Still would like to find out what Kyle454 was able to figure out on his unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Per-speaker crossover?

Howdy,

Would anyone happen to know if a per-speaker crossover option is possible on the 3808? I just picked up a couple of SVS towers and a center that I'm running in a 3.1 setup, and I'd like to have the center cross at 60 while the towers cross at 40.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Howdy,

Would anyone happen to know if a per-speaker crossover option is possible on the 3808? I just picked up a couple of SVS towers and a center that I'm running in a 3.1 setup, and I'd like to have the center cross at 60 while the towers cross at 40.

Thanks!
Yes, however, run Audyssey and let the AVR determine the best crossover value for your room.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Still a solid option?

Hi all--local Craig's has the 3808CI offered at $300. I love the specs and it certainly offers all the features I need. My only concern is HDMI 1.3 vs the 1.4 my AVR-591 has. ARC is not important to me, so is this a non-issue? I especially am attracted to the 3808's full compliment of pre-outs and what appears on paper to be much beefier power supplies. What do you think--is this a reasonable price for this somewhat older receiver, and would you consider it an upgrade from the 591?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hello, have had the 3808CI for years, and now passing down to my son. A key issue we can't figure out, is how to play an iPhone through this receiver. We don't have an iPod dock, and tried the USB input, but no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
Hi all--local Craig's has the 3808CI offered at $300. I love the specs and it certainly offers all the features I need. My only concern is HDMI 1.3 vs the 1.4 my AVR-591 has. ARC is not important to me, so is this a non-issue? I especially am attracted to the 3808's full compliment of pre-outs and what appears on paper to be much beefier power supplies. What do you think--is this a reasonable price for this somewhat older receiver, and would you consider it an upgrade from the 591?
It would be a major upgrade from the 591 -- superior MultEQ XT, much better component quality and more powerful amps.

HDMI 1.4 is only an issue if you need 3D support or ARC. If you don't care about either one, no big deal.

The 3808CI is still a highly competent, modern HT receiver and a good value at $300. It lacks only newer network gadgetry (e.g. Pandora, Airplay, Spotify, etc) and newer immersive surround formats with >7 channel support. But for just running a standard 5.1/7.1 system, it should still be a great unit.

·
Premium Member
88,059 Posts
Hello, have had the 3808CI for years, and now passing down to my son. A key issue we can't figure out, is how to play an iPhone through this receiver. We don't have an iPod dock, and tried the USB input, but no luck. Any suggestions?
Perhaps only older model iPhones will work via USB connection. Another option would be using an Apple TV and Airplay the audio to the AVR.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Perhaps only older model iPhones will work via USB connection. Another option would be using an Apple TV and Airplay the audio to the AVR.
Yes, I think the USB connection on this older model doesn't work with apple items. But you have an interesting idea, although my son will not be hooking it up to a tv. I believe I'm first going to try a less expensive way by using a cable splitter to use the earphone out on the iPhone to the front audio red/white inputs.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Get a bluetooth receiver and plug it into the 3808. Then don't bother with the USB. It will only make a difference (maybe) if you are doing critical listening. Way easier and now you can easily play from any app on the iphone or Android.

·
Registered
312 Posts
FLAC - File Format Errors?

Now that Windows 10 supports FLAC format files natively, I thought I should start using FLAC format with my Denon 3808 - after all, it's supposed to support the format, right?

Over the past few months, I've been making recordings in FLAC format, and purchasing FLAC albums, and storing them on my Media Server (a WHS 2011 system).

These all play back faultlessly via a variety of routes:
1) Microsoft's Groove player connected to the music library in WHS 2011
2) Plex clients connected to a Plex Media Server running on the WHS 2011 system
3) Emby clients connected to an Emby Media Server running on the WHS 2011 system
4) Media Monkey client connected to the music library in WHS 2011

Today, I thought I would try the Denon connecting as a DLNA DMR directly to the media servers. The WHS 2011 media server would not display any FLAC files (as expected.), but I could browse MP3 and FLAC files in the Plex and Media Monkey media servers using the Denon.

In all cases, my MP3 files would play back, but any FLAC files failed with a "File Format error".

I also tried copying sample FLAC files onto a USB stick (FAT32 formatted), and playing them directly on the Denon. Same result: file format errors.

These files are encoded at e.g.:
- 16bit sample at 44.1 kHz with FLAC reference libFLAC 1.3.0 20130526
- 24bit sample at 44.1 kHz with FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
- 24bit sample at 44.1 kHz with FLAC reference libFLAC 1.3.1 20141125

As far as I am aware, these should all be within the parameters that the Denon is supposed to be capable of dealing with, so what's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment...

·
Registered
33 Posts
In case anyone has had issues with getting Sirius to work with the 4308ci, this is from a post I added a few years go.

I also got the "check Sirius tuner" message but now have a connection. I have a Sportster 5, Sirius Connect Home Pro Kit SCHDOC1P and the Denon AVR-4308CI. The Sirius Connect Home Pro Kit has a female end RS-232 DB9 pin connector. The Denon also has a female end RS-232 DB9 pin connector. I went to RadioShack and purchased a male to male gender changer ($9.99) to connect the two. Still got the "check sirius tuner" message. I went back to Radioshack and purchased a null modem ($9.99) and connected it along with the gender changer. I now have music! All is working as expected. (BTW, also plugged in the analog R/L RCA plugs into the VCR/Ipod inputs). In the Denon menus I had to change Ipod assign to "none" and then Sirius to "assign". I then got a Sirius icon with the same controls as you get with the XM icon. This was after I had already completed the firmware upgrade. I then used the Denon web controller (went to a computer on my home network) and typed in the IP address of the Denon in the Internet Explorer address bar. I was able to go into the menus for the Denon sirius controls and assign my station pre-sets. If you have not used the Denon web controller I advise this to compete the set up of your music from sirius, vtuner, rhapsody, hd radio, internet radio, etc. Hope this works for you as well.

20481 - 20500 of 20769 Posts