AVS Forum banner

25181 - 25200 of 25207 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
So after exhausting all practical options (read: no local shops that would repair the 4311CI) I just purchased the AVR-4500H today. While I was tempted by the AVR-8500H, I don’t want to spend 4 grand for the promise of a future HDMI 2.1 paid upgrade, I am yet to buy a 4K projector so I hope the 4500H will serve my needs to have a good 7.1 channel receiver for some years until HDMI 2.1 is mainstream.

Thanks again for the help here folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As noted in the thread title … "no price talk."

Review posts 1-8 in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below for general helpful information and post any questions/comments in that thread regarding the X4500H.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2973392-official-2018-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-8-a.html

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I'm looking to buy a used 4311CI. Can someone please tell me the latest firmware on these units? I'm trying to insure the unit I buy has the latest. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
So, maybe old news that I missed but tried to use internet radio "vtuner or radioDenon.com" and I had a message to log onto website for full function.

Seems they are asking for a 3 dollar yearly fee to use the service. First to admit I didn't use it much, and 3 bucks is a small price but it really surprised me.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'm looking to buy a used 4311CI. Can someone please tell me the latest firmware on these units? I'm trying to insure the unit I buy has the latest. Thx in advance.
I wouldn't be too worried about the firmware version unless you know an older version has an issue that affects you. You should be able to update the firmware version yourself via the internet assuming it's still available.

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
So, maybe old news that I missed but tried to use internet radio "vtuner or radioDenon.com" and I had a message to log onto website for full function.

Seems they are asking for a 3 dollar yearly fee to use the service. First to admit I didn't use it much, and 3 bucks is a small price but it really surprised me.
Yup, old news.

Also note that Denon/Marantz replaced vTuner with TuneIn beginning with the 2016 models.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Fwiw, back in the days when you could get DTS Neural Direct surround, internet radio was worth while. V-Tuner is kind of a joke and painful to use, but for $3, what heck.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
There were a few stations I really enjoyed on SkyFM, but once they went away....changed formats.....whatever happened when they left vTuner I lost interest in most of what was there. More and more having the content on or streaming to handheld devices and pushing to AVR's or powered speakers. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
For what it's worth, my tried and true 4311 has been in my home office for a few years now. Running stereo monitors (powered speakers), and 99% of my listening is from my Roon collection. I'm feeding Roon audio to the 4311 with a Raspberry Pi connected with a digital cable.

Roon can play the vast majority of internet radio stations, integrates tightly with Tidal, and (of course) provides an awesome GUI for my CD collection (all ripped to FLAC). My Roon server is an Intel NUC running the "Rock OS" - a lightweight Linux variant tuned to optimize Roon performance.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Same here. Just went to it (so I can listen to German Metal stations...lol) and I was like WTH? Oh well. Still debating, but probably won't as I didn't use it much anyway.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Save / Load problems

Anyone still use the Save / Load Feature with success?

My 4311 seems to "lose" its Audyssey calibration after a few weeks. I noticed it a few years ago and it seemed to happen after about a year or two. It usually starts with me having to increase the volume of the center channel 1-2 db's or so and then a while later I will find that I have to increase the overall volume 2-4 db's from out normal go-to level which is just right 99% of the time and at this point it just doesn't sound as balanced as it normally is so I'll usually just do a full calibration and everything is back to normal.

Doing a new calibration every couple of years is fine with me as it gives me a chance to "play". In the past I wasn't even sure if it was really an issue or if it was just in my head and re-calibrating was just a placebo or something, but it was confirmed over the Christmas break when my wife even commented that it didn't sound as good as it usually does. As most of us know, if the wife notices a difference without any prodding, there is something going on. So I did a re-calibration and it was all good again.

Until early February when watching Midway, I again found that I had to play around with the volumes. I once again re calibrated and here we are 6 weeks later and it's not sounding right. So this time I decided to just load the previous saved calibration.

It starts the load process normally but after a couple of minutes it times out citing a lost connection. The Save feature is still working and I've looked at the data in the saved file and it's good, but I just can't get the Load feature to work.

I did both a soft reset and a full hard reset too but neither had an effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a denon receiver Avr-a100, and when i try to connect it to internet(airplay, internet radio) it doesn't connect.
When i press on the remote control the net/usb button, on the receiver is showing the message, 'please wait...... Connecting......' but nothing happens.
When i connect the internet cable in the ethernet connection, the led light is not flashing.
I think the ethernet card its not working.
I have reset it back to the factory settings, but still same problem.
Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Hi,
I have a denon receiver Avr-a100, and when i try to connect it to internet(airplay, internet radio) it doesn't connect.
When i press on the remote control the net/usb button, on the receiver is showing the message, 'please wait...... Connecting......' but nothing happens.
When i connect the internet cable in the ethernet connection, the led light is not flashing.
I think the ethernet card its not working.
I have reset it back to the factory settings, but still same problem.
Any ideas??
Do a "Network reset" by pressing/holding down the UP+DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel while powering on the AVR. Release the 2 arrow buttons after about 4-5 seconds when the front panel display starts flashing. If still no joy, do it again a few more times. If yet still no joy, then consider another option for internet/network audio streaming (eg. HEOS Link --> https://usa.denon.com/shop/DenonNA-networkaudioplayers/denonheoslink) and an Apple TV (Airplay).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello Everyone.

I have a 4311ci that has been working fine as my HT AVR. However, now I want more power for my main L&R speakers. I purchased a Carver power amplifier.

My plan was to use the 4311's rear panel "Pre-out" jacks for the Front Left and Front Right channels running to the Carver amp which will power the FL and FR speakers.

I was going to continue to use the 4311's power amp to power the Center and both Rear Surrounds. I do not have a subwoofer.

It appears though that if I set the 4311 to "Pre-amp" mode, it appears that all channels are set for that. That there is no way to just have it set for the front channels. Is this correct?

This is from page 62 of the manual:

You can connect all speakers to an external power amplifier and use this unit as a preamplifier.
Using this unit as a preamplifier, you can perform up to 11.2-channel playback.

When the PRE AMP mode is used, the built-in power amplifier operation of this unit is stopped, and interference to the preamplifier from the power amplifier can be reduced.

To use this unit as a preamplifier, select “Amp Assign” and set “Assign Mode” to “PRE AMP” using steps 3 and 4 of “Set up “Amp Assign”” (vpage 63).

• When the PRE AMP mode is used, the MAIN ZONE audio is not output from the speaker terminals of this unit.

To use the speakers for multizone (ZONE2/ZONE3) in the PRE AMP mode, set “Amp Assign” – “Assign Sp.” to “ZONE2/3” (vpage 95).
This setting will output the ZONE2 audio from the surround back speaker terminals and ZONE3 audio from the front wide speaker terminals.

• For connecting power amplifier and speaker systems, refer to the instruction manual supplied with the power amplifier to be used.

I was thinking a workaround may be to use a RCA cable to connect the "Pre-out" jacks for the Center and both Rear Surrounds right back into the "Ext in" for those same channels

It seems like it would work, but, would the "Ext In" jacks for those speakers be routed back through any processing again (Audyssey, tone, decoding, etc.), or, does the signal just go straight to the 4311's internal power amp?

Does anyone know? Link to the manual and picture of the back of the unit below.

http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-4311ci-om-e_108.pdf

Attachments

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Hello Everyone.

I have a 4311ci that has been working fine as my HT AVR. However, now I want more power for my main L&R speakers. I purchased a Carver power amplifier.

My plan was to use the 4311's rear panel "Pre-out" jacks for the Front Left and Front Right channels running to the Carver amp which will power the FL and FR speakers.

I was going to continue to use the 4311's power amp to power the Center and both Rear Surrounds. I do not have a subwoofer.

It appears though that if I set the 4311 to "Pre-amp" mode, it appears that all channels are set for that. That there is no way to just have it set for the front channels. Is this correct?
PRE-AMP mode is only used when none of the internal amps of the X4311CI are being used.

All of the main zone pre-outs are hot, therefore all you have to do is to connect the Front L/R pre-outs to the external amp and the speakers to that amp. Run Audyssey again to account for the different gain spec on the external amp.

·
Registered
83 Posts
PRE-AMP mode is only used when none of the internal amps of the X4311CI are being used.

All of the main zone pre-outs are hot, therefore all you have to do is to connect the Front L/R pre-outs to the external amp and the speakers to that amp. Run Audyssey again to account for the different gain spec on the external amp.

Well, that's just fine and dandy JD!!

Thanks so much for the easy answer!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sub 1 output low

I just discovered when using speaker Channel Level test tones in the setup menu that my Sub 1 output was 10 dB lower than Sub 2. I did some troubleshooting and found it is not the sub or the cable. I can turn up the level to the sub or turn the sub volume up and it is even, but I know for sure it used to be matching. Has anyone had their Denon 4311CI fail like this? If it doesn't change any more it will still work for me but is there anything in the menu that could have gotten switched or anything anyone can think of that would cause this?

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
I just discovered when using speaker Channel Level test tones in the setup menu that my Sub 1 output was 10 dB lower than Sub 2. I did some troubleshooting and found it is not the sub or the cable. I can turn up the level to the sub or turn the sub volume up and it is even, but I know for sure it used to be matching. Has anyone had their Denon 4311CI fail like this? If it doesn't change any more it will still work for me but is there anything in the menu that could have gotten switched or anything anyone can think of that would cause this?
Could be an issue with the sub. Run Audyssey again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not sure if it is the same issue, but it's similar to what I am experiencing in that my unit is losing its Audyssey calibration on it's own after a few weeks. See my post above.

BTW, in case your not aware, you can easily check the levels with the push of "CH Level" button on the remote without having to go into the setup menu. It's just below the volume down button.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure if it is the same issue, but it's similar to what I am experiencing in that my unit is losing its Audyssey calibration on it's own after a few weeks. See my post above.

BTW, in case your not aware, you can easily check the levels with the push of "CH Level" button on the remote without having to go into the setup menu. It's just below the volume down button.
Something to think about but I don't think my calibration numbers are changing. I guess the cal could still be off with the same numbers showing though. Are your speaker level numbers changing?
I definitely need to redo Audyssey to see what happens, just need to find the time. Thanks for the reply.

25181 - 25200 of 25207 Posts